PDA

View Full Version : How to look less like a strict teacher / librarian when wearing protective styles?

missblueeyes
January 1st, 2015, 11:46 AM
So, this all started when I was out in town with my SO and asked him whether or not he liked my hair the way I wore it. (Cinnabun with a hairstick through it - basic) Well, he was a little hesitant at first but eventually stuttered that he didn't like it at all because it reminded him of a strict teacher he once had and that it aged me significantly. I'm 18 years old, got a somewhat rocker attitude and affinity towards the 90's style-wise (vintage jeans jackets, loads of black, tartan, skater dresses, Kate Moss 'bedhead') and I prefer to wear my hair down, if I'm all honest.
The thing is, I'm growing out significant damage and I really want to minimize the damage potential so I decided I wanted to wear more updos. But how?
I have fine, waist-length hair with a V-cut. I also have bangs I'm growing out which are at about lip-length. They do fit into high buns but I prefer to leave them out.

On NYE I wore milkmaid braids with my bangs sticking out, which I liked a lot, but that's not really an everyday style, right? I had to use some tiny elastics, which I removed carefully, and an array of bobby pins.

I already went through this thread (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=112682&page=3&p=2608650&viewfull=1#post2608650) , but it wasn't really a big help. I'm looking for something youthful that looks trendy without requiring backcombing or hairspray. :mad: Do you have any ideas?

truepeacenik
January 1st, 2015, 12:01 PM
Are you saying you tried each style in the thread? And none worked?

Braids are pretty protective, except for the tassel. I oil tassels heavily to make up for any abuse they take.

I see sock/donut buns a lot on young adults here. Extensions and their own grown hair.

hanne jensen
January 1st, 2015, 12:02 PM
A Gibson like updo where the hair around your face is poofy. Any bun done loosely that's at the top of the head with small tendrils around the face gives a younger more relaxed look. If you kept your bangs and never want to grow them longer you could play with some funky colors in just the bangs.

What'w wrong with milkmaid braids for everyday? Think of the small goofy or funky hair gizmos you could put in the braids for a different look almost every day. Disney clips, Pokemon clips, hairpins with pearls or glittery stones, the possibilities are only as limited as your mood or imagination. Rocker attitude? I know a lot of guys that have a rocker style with long hair and long beards. They put all kinds of fun stuff in their beards. Why not a gal decorating her braids?

missblueeyes
January 1st, 2015, 12:14 PM
Are you saying you tried each style in the thread? And none worked?

That's not exactly what I'm saying but I noticed something they all have in common, which doesn't work for me at all: All the hair is pulled back neatly and everything is secured with a 'hair toy'. Be it a stick, a fork, a ficcare.. I just don't like the look of common hair toys on me. I'd rather use elastics and be super careful with the placements than having to worry about a stick falling out all the time / poking someone in the eye when I'm turning around.
I'm going to go with your advice and oil my braid tassel to make up for the beating. :)

A Gibson like updo where the hair around your face is poofy. Any bun done loosely that's at the top of the head with small tendrils around the face gives a younger more relaxed look. If you kept your bangs and never want to grow them longer you could play with some funky colors in just the bangs.

What'w wrong with milkmaid braids for everyday? Think of the small goofy or funky hair gizmos you could put in the braids for a different look almost every day. Disney clips, Pokemon clips, hairpins with pearls or glittery stones, the possibilities are only as limited as your mood or imagination. Rocker attitude? I know a lot of guys that have a rocker style with long hair and long beards. They put all kinds of fun stuff in their beards. Why not a gal decorating her braids?

A gibson sounds good, I'm definitely going to test how it goes with my hair tomorrow. It's really slippery after wash day, let's see how it holds the gibson. :) Coloring is out of question for now as I'm not sure whether I'm keeping the bangs or not.
I like the way you're thinking, maybe I find something I'm fond of, too. Maybe I'll get some coloured synthetic clip ins to spice up my updos.

I've been doing accent braids a lot, recently, but that doesn't really do much if the rest of the hair is left out.

CoveredByLove
January 1st, 2015, 12:17 PM
I agree braided hairstyles are great for every day! They are protective and you can make them look quite edgy if you like. Google "Gwen Stefani braid". She doesn't look "librarian" wearing her hair like that if you ask me! :) Just leave small pieces out around your face and don't slick your hair back quite so smoothly. A "messy" bun will help as well on days you don't want to wear braids and it still keeps your hair up and away from danger. Hope this helps!

meteor
January 1st, 2015, 12:28 PM
I noticed something they all have in common, which doesn't work for me at all: All the hair is pulled back neatly and everything is secured with a 'hair toy'. Be it a stick, a fork, a ficcare.. I just don't like the look of common hair toys on me. I'd rather use elastics and be super careful with the placements than having to worry about a stick falling out all the time / poking someone in the eye when I'm turning around.
I'm going to go with your advice and oil my braid tassel to make up for the beating. :)

[...]

I've been doing accent braids a lot, recently, but that doesn't really do much if the rest of the hair is left out.

Braids for the win! :rockerdud:
I really think learning crown braids and lace braids will help you with making cool styles. Also check out zigzag braids.
If you learn to do cool-looking braids, it will make a huge difference, for sure!
Also accent braids in the front pulled a little bit forward will give your hair volume without teasing, helping you avoid the sleeked-back look.

I agree braided hairstyles are great for every day! They are protective and you can make them look quite edgy if you like. Google "Gwen Stefani braid". She doesn't look "librarian" wearing her hair like that if you ask me! :) Just leave small pieces out around your face and don't slick your hair back quite so smoothly. A "messy" bun will help as well on days you don't want to wear braids and it still keeps your hair up and away from danger. Hope this helps!

Yes, definitely! :D I really recommend looking up people whose styles you like with a word "braid" or "updo" next to their name: you'll find not only pictures but also instructions of how to achieve the look. And then adjust it to fit your needs! ;)

arr
January 1st, 2015, 12:29 PM
A lot of guys prefer hair down, so maybe just wear it how he likes it when you are out with him and do protective styles for work/school/everyday?

Kyla
January 1st, 2015, 12:37 PM
I personally don't really like having my hair pulled back tightly, I think it's unflattering for my face. Various types of braids and high, loose buns don't generally looks like a librarian.

luvlonghair75
January 1st, 2015, 12:44 PM
Every time I oil my tassles in a braid, the elastic always slips out within a couple hours! So maybe I shouldn't oil them? My hair is thin and fine as well.

Panth
January 1st, 2015, 01:04 PM
Thoughts:
- french or dutch braids, single or double, either worn down or bunned (you can make the braids do interesting stuff, e.g. a zigzag or the XO braid (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=43919) to make your hair look less severe and scraped back)
- double buns, worn high or low, Princess Leia style or not
- buns worn as a fauxhawk (http://measuredbytheheart.com/2012/08/girly-faux-hawk-hairstyle.html)
- comet bun (though it doesn't protect your ends as well as other buns)
- accent braids and/or braids at the front (lace braids, etc.) to make updos less severe
- french twist
- low buns worn with a parting (centre, side, zigzag...) to make them softer and less severe
- all the various iterations of braids worn up, either with plain English braids or with rope braids, fishtail braids, hawser braids, etc. to add interest (Freida Kahlo braids, milkmaid braids, hair taping, crown braids, coronet braids (when your hair gets a bit longer), etc.)
- messier buns
- accessories! absolutely no reason you have to use ficcares and forks and stuff if you don't like that style - how about using Amish pins or spin pins to secure the updo, then adding accessories that match your fashion sense as decoration rather than functional pieces?

Also, IMO, milkmaid braids can definitely be an everyday style if you like them. Even moreso if you're 18 and don't have to worry about what your employer thinks...

Angels+Eyeliner
January 1st, 2015, 01:17 PM
I wear milkmaid braids quite a lot. They're easy to do. You can get fun little clips (I have little snowflake clips that I put on the end of my braids, or a big snowflake and cloud for my fringe right now). You could try mixing up your parting a bit, I think buns look less severe with a side parting that pulled back or centre parted. What I like to do when I have plenty of time and want to look more punk than usual is French braid the smaller side of my parting until the nape of my neck and tie that off, do an equivalent braid on the other side (leaving my fringe and part of my hair flopping over it) and then bun all the bits at the back. It adds a bit of interest and isn't at all librarian-ish.

Although, I'm going to be perfectly honest here, you're worried about it because he had a teacher who wore the same hairstyles. That's really his problem, that he associates your hair with her and thinks of strictness, rather than anything wrong with your style. So do what you like, and stop asking him if he likes it.

Kendrix
January 1st, 2015, 01:29 PM
You know, I get the same sorts of comments occasionally. Even my grandma says I dress old. I don't have bangs, but if I want a bun style to look younger, I loosen the whole thing. I have a face frame through so I have shorter bits to pull out.
Buns to the side and low definitely help. Sometimes I also wear milkmaid braids as well and that does liven up a look. And side braids.
For oiling the braid tassel, I HAVE FINE HAIR TOO. I actually stopped using a ponytail holder altogether because of slippage and because I like to make as short as possible braid tassels. I use a 3-4 inch piece of plain waxed dental floss. At the end of my braid, I hold one end of the floss between my teeth, the other end with my hand and my braid tassel with my other hand. Then I TIGHTLY wrap my braid where I want it to end. After a few go-rounds, I tie it off tight, clip the excess bits of floss with a cuticle nipper or tiny scissors and it's done (though mind the little strands that poke/fray from the braid). As long as I get it tight, it stays through me sleeping on it and I have slippery hair. It's my favorite alternative to worrying about elastics and damage.

Robot Ninja
January 1st, 2015, 01:30 PM
Wearing a bun on the crown of your head looks more ballerina than schoolmarm to me, especially on a young person. If you leave your bangs out of your bun, it will automatically make it look less severe. Where I live, a lot of young women are wearing high messy buns with headbands; again, if you leave your bangs out and use the headband as decoration rather than a utility thing it'll look less severe.

DreamSheep
January 1st, 2015, 01:49 PM
I find bangs and side pieces can help add some dimension to the face without the pulled back look. You can also fake bangs from your bun if you don't have any.
Folded plaits, crown braids, milkmaid braids...

That said, you might be able to slowly change his impression of buns. I find most people prefer my hair down, but my bf says he finds my buns elegant and usually appreciates my hairtoys.
Sometimes my ends splay out so I feel from the front my buns look more "punkish" than "strict librarian".
Another option could be to add some temporary colour to your hair? That way your buns and braids could show some colour which would break the "conservative" image. :)

missblueeyes
January 1st, 2015, 02:04 PM
Thank you for all the input, I really appreciate it! I'm definitely loving the XO-braids and the faux-hawk. I'll definitely experiment with these when I'm working or running errands. Temporary colours are really tempting for me as well but I do think they'd turn out to be more of a permanent thing on my bleached ends so I've stayed away from them for now. :)
Also, please don't get me wrong, I think neat buns look really great, I just don't see them on me just yet. I'm just looking for some hairstyles to add to my repertoire for when I need to get it out of the way. I usually leave it loose when I'm at home or when I know I can easily detangle it every couple of hours, which is basically anytime I'm not working.

pearlsandpinups
January 1st, 2015, 02:17 PM
I don't know if you've ever checked out her blog, but the Freckled Fox (http://www.freckled-fox.com/p/hair-beauty_4.html) has some wonderful long hairstyle tutorials that don't look librarian-y at all. They're not all protective and she occasionally uses heat tools but there are some great, really pretty ones on there that are very hair friendly! :)

Larki
January 1st, 2015, 02:22 PM
You could add accent braids to your bun. Like a lace or French braid along the side going back into the bun.

yogagirl
January 1st, 2015, 02:49 PM
Have you seen the high sock bun with the upside down French braid going into it from the bottom? I think it looks frikkin awesome! You might enjoy it with a messy bun on top.

Just google: sock bun zipper

Or see this version with a Dutch braid: http://vimeo.com/53953604

Also, as others have mentioned, I like to make my buns a bit messy and leave my bangs out to soften the look.

Madora
January 1st, 2015, 03:46 PM
How to Pouf your hair in front:

1) Bend at the waist
2) Bring all hair in front of you, like a curtain
3) Detangle all hair carefully
4) Bend head down so it is facing the floor
5) Grasp hair in hand, then divide in 3 parts for braiding.
6) Do not start the braid too close to the scalp! Try to start the braid half an inch or an inch up from scalp. This helps create the "pouf" at the end
7) Braid hair down to ends/secure with hair friendly elastic
Hold braid flat on top of head (a trifle towards the back of the head), coil. Pin with hairpins at the 4 directions.
9) With any luck, you have a braided bun..with a little "pouf" in front!

Inversion braiding:
1) Bring all hair in front, like a curtain/detangle gently with wide tooth comb
2) Head should be down -- steeply
3) Divide hair in 3 sections.
4) Holding the hair straight up in the center of your scalp, start to braid about
two inches ABOVE the scalp (not next to the scalp as in regular braiding). Braid slightly loosely
(either Dutch or English style)
5) Braid down to end/fasten with elastic...or leave loose
(I don't fasten with anything and only braid until I have about 2 inches of tassel left
6) Take the braid. Hold it flat against your head with your hand. Start to form a coil (circle). Use the other hand to pin the bun with crimped hairpins in the 4 directions. Tuck in tassel
7) Bingo: one handy dandy single braided bun!
8) This method also works for a 2 braid bun and some other buns
Special note: It DOES take a bit of finagaling to get the position of the braid situated on just the right spot on the top of your head. You want to aim for the center of your head or slightly to the rear of center.
ALERT!: By beginning the braid 2 inches (or slightly less) ABOVE your scalp you create a lovely little "pouf" of hair around the forehead (and sides, sometimes), so you don't wind up with the slicked back "otter" look

lunalocks
January 1st, 2015, 04:13 PM
You might want to reconsider using a cool fork or stick to keep your hair up. I have found several bun styles that do NOT look severe/librarian by experimenting. There are cool forks out there. Also try spin pins. Once I passed waist, I gave up elastics and am still growing out their damage. I would love to have my hair down all the time, but can't as the longer it gets, the more it needs protecting.

prettyinpink
January 1st, 2015, 04:25 PM
I do alot of braided buns, held by spin pins.

PS I saw these little hair gems at walgreens, They were little clear clips with sparkles. You can bedazzle any old bun

teddygirl
January 1st, 2015, 04:52 PM
I like to do a diagonal dutch braid (which I call my katniss braid).
http://cdn.makeupgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1310-550x418.jpg

cathair
January 1st, 2015, 05:10 PM
I'm sorry, I can't help laughing. Crown braids etc just don't go with a rocker attitude, imo they couldn't be much further from it at all. I might be worth keeping your bangs, just so you can look less like a librarian and mess a bout with them a lot, if it really bothers you.

I hear your problem, I felt very similarly when I came here, but I don't have any great solutions. At the moment I am experimenting with side parting and twisting parts of my hair before I put it up, it creates more height in the front without backcombing etc. I wasn't sure it made much difference really, but someone else was very excited about it and said it looks tons better and younger, so I will persist.

I got won over by the updos, not because I like the look of them, they are exactly how you describe them. But my hair is now far to long to be practical to be worn down now. Trying to untangle it gently takes so long, I just don't want to wear it down unless I have a good reason for it, even if I think it looks better. Updos are just so easy, lazy, practical.

Angels+Eyeliner
January 1st, 2015, 05:29 PM
Something I forgot to mention (somehow, despite looking at your gorgeous avatar). Hats and scarves. The right ones add an extra dimension of protection from wind and general havoc, and they can look cool if you find a few in your style. I used to wear a blue bandana with two braids when I was cycling and my fringe couldn't be tucked away safely, and it didn't look like I was just doing it for the safety aspect (although my hilarious neon yellow jacket over my leather one for early mornings never looked cool).

Neptune
January 1st, 2015, 06:24 PM
I like to do a diagonal dutch braid (which I call my katniss braid).
http://cdn.makeupgeek.com/wp-content/uploads/2012/03/1310-550x418.jpg

OMG teddygirl i love your katniss braid!! my attempts don't turn out anywhere near as pretty!!

teddygirl
January 1st, 2015, 06:41 PM
Sorry, I should say that isnt me, that is just from google! BUt mine is very similar, just blonde/brown.

animetor7
January 1st, 2015, 08:36 PM
I really like accent braids for helping with this, I also wear a lot of braids as opposed to having it in a bun all of the time. I also like to play with partings, I sometimes do a french braid thingy with a very extreme side part, this looks plenty young and doesn't look like a librarian at all. I also think that how you dress has a lot to do with your appearance and if you dress like a rocker chick it won't matter if your hair is in a bun, you still won't look like a librarian.

gthlvrmx
January 1st, 2015, 09:08 PM
That's not exactly what I'm saying but I noticed something they all have in common, which doesn't work for me at all: All the hair is pulled back neatly and everything is secured with a 'hair toy'. Be it a stick, a fork, a ficcare.. I just don't like the look of common hair toys on me. I'd rather use elastics and be super careful with the placements than having to worry about a stick falling out all the time / poking someone in the eye when I'm turning around.

A gibson sounds good, I'm definitely going to test how it goes with my hair tomorrow. It's really slippery after wash day, let's see how it holds the gibson. :) Coloring is out of question for now as I'm not sure whether I'm keeping the bangs or not.
I like the way you're thinking, maybe I find something I'm fond of, too. Maybe I'll get some coloured synthetic clip ins to spice up my updos.

Why don't you try using spin pins? They can hide in your bun and you won't have the same look as using a hairstick. The spin pin hides in the hair.

Freija
January 1st, 2015, 09:10 PM
I loved pigtails (as in, two plaits, usually French or Dutch, sometimes fishtail) back when I was going through my grunge phase about a decade ago (and before I just cut all of my hair off!). There was something ironic about them. : )

Caraid♫
January 1st, 2015, 09:28 PM
I don't have any suggestions hair-wise that haven't already been given, but I wanted to ask if you have your ears pierced? Sometimes when I do a bun that looks "older" or librarian-esque, I add my favourite pair of funky statement earrings and suddenly the look transforms completely in my opinion! Just a thought :)

HumanBean
January 1st, 2015, 10:52 PM
Single Dutch french braid all the way down your length. Tuck it back up under itself along the entire length and pin in place (I usually use two spin pins). It's reminiscent of a Mohawk and one of my favorite styles.

You can also do three mini buns all along the back of your head, from the crown to the nape, which can look a little punk or romantic, depending on how you are dressed.

Upside Down
January 2nd, 2015, 01:33 AM
How to Pouf your hair in front:

1) Bend at the waist
2) Bring all hair in front of you, like a curtain
3) Detangle all hair carefully
4) Bend head down so it is facing the floor
5) Grasp hair in hand, then divide in 3 parts for braiding.
6) Do not start the braid too close to the scalp! Try to start the braid half an inch or an inch up from scalp. This helps create the "pouf" at the end
7) Braid hair down to ends/secure with hair friendly elastic
Hold braid flat on top of head (a trifle towards the back of the head), coil. Pin with hairpins at the 4 directions.
9) With any luck, you have a braided bun..with a little "pouf" in front!

Inversion braiding:
1) Bring all hair in front, like a curtain/detangle gently with wide tooth comb
2) Head should be down -- steeply
3) Divide hair in 3 sections.
4) Holding the hair straight up in the center of your scalp, start to braid about
two inches ABOVE the scalp (not next to the scalp as in regular braiding). Braid slightly loosely
(either Dutch or English style)
5) Braid down to end/fasten with elastic...or leave loose
(I don't fasten with anything and only braid until I have about 2 inches of tassel left
6) Take the braid. Hold it flat against your head with your hand. Start to form a coil (circle). Use the other hand to pin the bun with crimped hairpins in the 4 directions. Tuck in tassel
7) Bingo: one handy dandy single braided bun!
8) This method also works for a 2 braid bun and some other buns
Special note: It DOES take a bit of finagaling to get the position of the braid situated on just the right spot on the top of your head. You want to aim for the center of your head or slightly to the rear of center.
ALERT!: By beginning the braid 2 inches (or slightly less) ABOVE your scalp you create a lovely little "pouf" of hair around the forehead (and sides, sometimes), so you don't wind up with the slicked back "otter" look

Can you explain method 2 a bit more? I don't really understand the difference between 1 and 2 by just reading your post... Maybe I just need to try it? I like how it sounds!

Madora
January 2nd, 2015, 08:06 AM
Can you explain method 2 a bit more? I don't really understand the difference between 1 and 2 by just reading your post... Maybe I just need to try it? I like how it sounds!

Upside down, here is an illustration:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/Invertedbraiding.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/Invertedbraiding.jpg.html)

Method one is basically the same as Method Two. In Method Two I tried to explain more clearly how the braid was positioned when beginning to braid upside down. Please let me know if anything needs clarifying and I'll try to explain. Thank you!

Johannah
January 2nd, 2015, 08:23 AM
You could also add a hair comb, if you like those.

missblueeyes
January 2nd, 2015, 09:08 AM
Rejoice, I actually found an etsy seller whose forks I actually like! (here (https://www.etsy.com/de/listing/188994502/sichelformige-mond-haar-gabel?ref=sr_gallery_22&ga_search_query=hair+fork&ga_search_type=all&ga_view_type=gallery))
If you know any etsy sellers who sell similar hairtoys, I'd be very grateful for any recommendations!

I'm really grateful for all the nice posts and for all the advice! I'm going to experiment with my hair a little and see how it goes. I'm also going to practice braiding as I currently can't manage more than a fishtail or an English / French braid. :< I also need to get my hands onto spin pins. I never heard of them and I don't think you can get them here but I'll keep searching!

wilderwein
January 2nd, 2015, 09:25 AM
I don't know if it helps, but what about makeup? If you do a little bit more crazy makeup with a strict bun it will kinda drive attention off your hair to your face

Upside Down
January 2nd, 2015, 09:41 AM
Upside down, here is an illustration:
http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/Invertedbraiding.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/Invertedbraiding.jpg.html)

Method one is basically the same as Method Two. In Method Two I tried to explain more clearly how the braid was positioned when beginning to braid upside down. Please let me know if anything needs clarifying and I'll try to explain. Thank you!

Oh, ok then I get it! I thought you made a different bun out of the braid somehow...
Will try, sounds very cool!

Lately I have been wearing nautilus bun high up, just because I have a tiny grabby baby around all the time, and I make it also by flipping my head downwards. It gets poofy and messy and I love it ;)

Missblueeyes, I don't know other vendors like that, I would worry if tose forks are heavy? But this is so pretty!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/189155931/artemis-hair-pin?ref=shop_home_active_1

SkyChild
January 2nd, 2015, 10:26 AM
There's loads of stuff like that on etsy, just spend hours and hours trawling around XD

missblueeyes
January 2nd, 2015, 10:43 AM
Missblueeyes, I don't know other vendors like that, I would worry if tose forks are heavy? But this is so pretty!
https://www.etsy.com/listing/189155931/artemis-hair-pin?ref=shop_home_active_1

They do look a little heavy on the first pictures, but I think the fork is quite small so I think it'd be fine! The way it shows up in the 'model's' bun makes me very optimistic!
The Artemis hair pin is so pretty! I have little idea what kind of updos to make with it, though. I think a fork would be more versatile.

lunalocks
January 2nd, 2015, 10:55 AM
I thought of something else - try braiding a scarf with your hair and then making a bun out of that. I use open weave scarves that allow a fork to go through and hold them in place. sometimes I have enough scarf length left over to wrap again around my head. Look pretty cool.

I LOVE those forks you found!

meteor
January 2nd, 2015, 11:56 AM
It's awesome that you found forks that you like, missblueeys! :D And you absolutely don't need to use hair toys if you don't like their look: wavy U-pins, Goody spin-pins and Amish pins are awesome for putting hair up!

Just wanted to add that I've googled images of "faux hawk / fohawk braids or buns" and I'm seeing a lot of new, creative variations. I also see these styles on young people a lot these days, even though they are mostly done with hair pieces. Just like the sock bun was originally very simple when it took off a few years ago and then evolved into more and more complicated looks (heart-shaped sock buns, braided sock buns, etc), this faux hawk thing has endless variations too and, unlike zig-zag and many other cool braids, this style is actually very easy to do and very protective to boot! :D

EdG
January 2nd, 2015, 12:11 PM
There is a long-running LHC thread on this topic:

"Tight bunned mean ladies (and gents!) club"
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=6616

I say embrace the look! :)
Ed

Chamomile betty
January 2nd, 2015, 02:43 PM
Coming from an actual strict teacher 'what's wrong with that?' Lol. Seriously to not look older wear a funky stick or jazz up your makeup. Severe styles can look harsh on me too. Maybe try more like a variation of the Gibson. Basically hair a little looser on the scalp. Great idea about the jewelry as well.

DKSABS
January 2nd, 2015, 03:01 PM
I have this same problem. I only wear my hair up at home because I'm not crazy about how it looks in a bun, especially when it's ALL pulled back into the bun. I've been growing out bangs, hoping for larger ponytail circumference and more hair in the bun to make my buns appear less puny. Unfortunately, now that my bangs have finally gotten long enough to fit into the bun, I HATE how I look with all of my hair pulled back like that. Thanks for the link for the zippered bun! I'd never heard of that before, but tried it today, and left a small tendril out on one side in the front, and I like how it looks. You can't really see the zipper in the back (I must not have braided tightly enough), but it still looks nice and eliminated the weird poof that can occur in the back when the bun is up higher on my head. I think this has clinched the decision to not let all of my bangs grow out completely, but to keep just a little bit of the bang hair somewhere between mouth and chin length so there is still something left to frame my face.

yogagirl
January 2nd, 2015, 03:50 PM
I have this same problem. I only wear my hair up at home because I'm not crazy about how it looks in a bun, especially when it's ALL pulled back into the bun. I've been growing out bangs, hoping for larger ponytail circumference and more hair in the bun to make my buns appear less puny. Unfortunately, now that my bangs have finally gotten long enough to fit into the bun, I HATE how I look with all of my hair pulled back like that. Thanks for the link for the zippered bun! I'd never heard of that before, but tried it today, and left a small tendril out on one side in the front, and I like how it looks. You can't really see the zipper in the back (I must not have braided tightly enough), but it still looks nice and eliminated the weird poof that can occur in the back when the bun is up higher on my head. I think this has clinched the decision to not let all of my bangs grow out completely, but to keep just a little bit of the bang hair somewhere between mouth and chin length so there is still something left to frame my face.
I have the same dilemma about my bangs and layers that go along with them. On the one hand I'd like to grow them out to make buns easier/neater, on the other I LOVE how the soften my look. I always let them air dry, because I love the messiness it produces and how it's never quite the same.

I'm glad you enjoyed the zippered bun! I really love the look. I also have dark hair, so I have been playing with the idea of adding silver/gunmetal thread as a paranda (sp?) to make the braid show up better. Blondes have it easier in that regard :p

DKSABS
January 2nd, 2015, 08:21 PM
I have the same dilemma about my bangs and layers that go along with them. On the one hand I'd like to grow them out to make buns easier/neater, on the other I LOVE how the soften my look. I always let them air dry, because I love the messiness it produces and how it's never quite the same.

I'm glad you enjoyed the zippered bun! I really love the look. I also have dark hair, so I have been playing with the idea of adding silver/gunmetal thread as a paranda (sp?) to make the braid show up better. Blondes have it easier in that regard :p

That sounds like a neat idea. Please post action shots if you do try it.

LemonFizzy
January 3rd, 2015, 11:50 AM
I'm sorry, I can't help laughing. Crown braids etc just don't go with a rocker attitude, imo they couldn't be much further from it at all.

Just out of curiosity I Googled 'punk crown braids' in images and wow, there are some very non-boring versions of updos out there!

Katyusha
January 3rd, 2015, 12:24 PM
I have the same problem with looking like a librarian. And my boyfriend doesn't like that look too. I also have quite round face and glasses so you can figure out that I pretty much look like librarian. I wear my hair down most of the time or in braid. This thread inspired me to try different styles. I especially liked the freckled fox page. So many good ideas. And I hope my ear plugs (currently at 4mm aiming to get to 8mm) will also help to get rid of librarian look.

This is fishtail braid that I recently started wearing more often. I think it gives a nice young look. ( sorry for a bad picture, it's hard to make a hair selfie :P )

http://i.imgur.com/zNG31JRl.jpg

missblueeyes
January 4th, 2015, 04:55 AM
I have the same problem with looking like a librarian. And my boyfriend doesn't like that look too. I also have quite round face and glasses so you can figure out that I pretty much look like librarian. I wear my hair down most of the time or in braid. This thread inspired me to try different styles. I especially liked the freckled fox page. So many good ideas. And I hope my ear plugs (currently at 4mm aiming to get to 8mm) will also help to get rid of librarian look.

This is fishtail braid that I recently started wearing more often. I think it gives a nice young look. ( sorry for a bad picture, it's hard to make a hair selfie :P )

http://i.imgur.com/zNG31JRl.jpg

Your fishtail looks lovely! I would certainly wear my hair in that style more often if it wouldn't take ages to do by myself. I also have some pieces sticking out because of taper and v-hemline, which doesn't bother me too much, but it makes it really hard to braid day 1 or 2 hair.

Elly May
January 4th, 2015, 06:37 AM
I'm agreeing with Wilderwein and Chamomile Betty that a little makeup can make a big difference. Try an easy smoky eye (I use a chubby eye stick with a little sparkle in a dark coppery brown, and a good coat of mascara) and it really makes my eyes stand out and takes the emphasis off my bunned hair, plus it takes about 2 minutes to do. Google an old Robert Palmer (Simply Irresistible) music video and go for a very toned down version...or not....

missblueeyes
January 4th, 2015, 07:36 AM
I'm agreeing with Wilderwein and Chamomile Betty that a little makeup can make a big difference. Try an easy smoky eye (I use a chubby eye stick with a little sparkle in a dark coppery brown, and a good coat of mascara) and it really makes my eyes stand out and takes the emphasis off my bunned hair, plus it takes about 2 minutes to do. Google an old Robert Palmer (Simply Irresistible) music video and go for a very toned down version...or not....

Thank you but I know very well how to do my make-up. ;) But there are days when I just don't want to wear any because it's not good for the skin to wear heavy make-up all the time. I'm certainly not gonna wear a smokey eye if I'm only running errands or when I don't even plan to leave the house. Also, I think my profile pic already gives away that I'm a lover of dark lips and eyeliner. Sparkle doesn't work, I have hooded eyelids.

Katyusha
January 4th, 2015, 08:44 AM
Thank you missblueeyes. It doesn't take that much time if you take bigger chunks of hair instead of really small. It is not perfect fishtail braid but it is different than regular one. Also I usually just leave my hair down. What's the point of having long hair if I can't have it down? If that means I won't have super long hair than that is the price I'm willing to pay. I wouldn't enjoy super long hair if I'd have to wear it in a bun most of the time.

missblueeyes
January 4th, 2015, 09:37 AM
Thank you missblueeyes. It doesn't take that much time if you take bigger chunks of hair instead of really small. It is not perfect fishtail braid but it is different than regular one. Also I usually just leave my hair down. What's the point of having long hair if I can't have it down? If that means I won't have super long hair than that is the price I'm willing to pay. I wouldn't enjoy super long hair if I'd have to wear it in a bun most of the time.

I'm totally with you on that statement but since I'm growing out heavy bleach damage, I need to go some steps further to protect my ends until they've been trimmed off, which will take some time. I don't want super long hair either but I want to keep my hair in a presentable state while it grows out and the easiest way to do that (for me) is to wear it up a lot. I think the longest I'd go is TBL in a V cut.

picklepie
January 4th, 2015, 10:57 AM
To soften updos, can you do something like separate out what would a be your bangs/fringe, and give yourself a deep side parting. Do your high bun or whatever, and then swoop the "bangs" pieces to the sides, forming the ends into a flat pin-curl, and pin with bobby pins. Does that make sense?

Also, has anyone suggested victory rolls or the "pomp" look? There are tons if YouTube tutorials for both, some specifically for long hair.

JustPam
January 5th, 2015, 04:47 AM
I've been trying to soften up my buns since I have half-rim glasses and do look like a mean old lady teacher when my hair is up tightly. Seems like the rule of thumb is keep it loose, let the baby hairs hang around the face, and add youthful accessories.

I finger comb my hair up into a messy ponytail and loosen some of the front and side hair and ruffle it a bit. Put the ponytail in a loose knot bun with a spin pin (or bobby pins are fine if you can't get spin pins) and again ruffle it a little, it looks even better when there's braidwaves. I add a couple of bright coloured snap clips, or chuck on a bandana for a bit of punkyness. Works well on dirty hair with a bit of dry shampoo and mousse if you use it.

Also, something I've not tried yet myself but have seen, tying a funky shoelace around your ponytail and braiding it in, then bun that or leave it as is.

Upside Down
January 7th, 2015, 01:24 AM
A thread was opened about hair rings... But this hairstyle looks great, although I would do a messy bun without elastics for sure. The braids are what's very cool.
Makes me want to improve my braiding skills.

http://img1.fpassets.com/is/image/FreePeople/34513143_007_a?$detail-item$

missblueeyes
January 7th, 2015, 03:01 AM
A thread was opened about hair rings... But this hairstyle looks great, although I would do a messy bun without elastics for sure. The braids are what's very cool.
Makes me want to improve my braiding skills.

http://img1.fpassets.com/is/image/FreePeople/34513143_007_a?$detail-item$

I've been eyeing hair-rings like these from a different seller ever since I started growing out my hair! They'd be great for spicing up crown braids or similar. Thanks for reminding me of them! :)

Upside Down
January 7th, 2015, 04:43 AM
If you purchase them I would love a review. I am unsure of the patent, that is, how they open and will they pull on hair. :)

Madora
January 7th, 2015, 08:47 AM
Here is a thread about those hair rings: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128822

princesspoppy
January 8th, 2015, 04:15 PM
I struggle with this sometimes too! I'm 23 and I definitely prefer kate moss style hairstyles too. I still always prefer it down, but the protective styles that I can make work for me are a loose french side braid, and also, surprisingly, a nautilus. I have a really subtle ebony hair stick that isn't very noticeable, and on me the nautilus can looks quite big, loose, and undone. I like to wear it with a centre parting and the front sections going down around my face and then back, instead of all going straight back from the hairline. And I gently tug bits to make it look messier.

princesspoppy
January 8th, 2015, 04:17 PM
Oh, I should also add that I sometimes use the plastic U shaped hairpins (lots of them!) for damage free and invisible hold, which would be good if you don't like visible hair toys!

Katyusha
January 10th, 2015, 03:24 PM
princesspoppy Would you be so kind and post picture of nautilus bun? I would really like to see it :)

Nellon
January 10th, 2015, 03:37 PM
How about a topknot instead of a bun at the mid-back of your head? For me that works much better in terms of looking not so strict than buns at the back of my head :) Especially if I (use a fork to get a good hold and) loosen up the hair pulled back in front a little to make it less "strict" looking.
Maybe not your cup of tea, just how I'm comfortable. I think a loose topknot that's not super tightly pulled back can be quite rock/chich-ish :)