PDA

View Full Version : Feelin fresh after a cut + how do you deal with hair in hot weather?

norths
January 1st, 2015, 05:41 AM
So i had waist length hair and i cut it down to bsl length and i feel so much happier.
Even though it took me about three years to grow to this length i was a bit hesitant but i trust my mum to cut it than some random.
It was pretty hot today and i cant stand my hair in summer it makes my head feel like a furnace and it doesnt help my hair is dark and radiates in the sun. Ive tried wetting it but then it gets heavy. And braids are okay until i try and put a hat on
(waist is the longest ive ever had my hair as ive always had it shoulder length)
New cut made me feel so much fresh and lighter.

Anyone else feel good after a cut or love that just cut feel?
Also how do tou deal with long hair in summer -

yogagirl
January 1st, 2015, 05:50 AM
I'm only around BSL, so I don't have any recent experiences. I do remember when I cut it from BSL to chin as a child. I felt so much lighter! Which was strange since I hadn't felt like my hair was heavy before the cut. Such an odd sensation.

I'm glad you're enjoying your new cut!!

Madora
January 1st, 2015, 08:12 AM
Hair in hot weather = put it up. Braids or buns. Crown braids are especially good. Enjoy your new cut!

Panth
January 1st, 2015, 08:29 AM
Braids or buns. There are styles that will fit under a hat. You can also hide an icecube in your bun...

Wavelength
January 1st, 2015, 09:01 AM
Wetting your hair before putting it up helps too. Evaporation = cooler head.

spidermom
January 1st, 2015, 09:08 AM
When I cut from just slightly longer than classic back to around hip length with layers, I enjoyed the lighter feeling a lot. Later I cut from tailbone to waist, and enjoyed it again. Now I'm looking forward to enjoying a much heavier feeling because I have yearning for extra-long hair again.

Nadine <3
January 1st, 2015, 09:46 AM
My hair is only APL, but I'm very heat sensitive. In the summer my hair either gets chopped off, of put up every day. I usually went for a top knot so it was all up and out of the way. I don't wear hats much in the summer, but when I did I found a single french braid worked fine.

I always loved the light feeling after a cut too and my hair isn't even heavy.

Johannah
January 1st, 2015, 10:22 AM
I put it up in a Bun if it's too hot, maybe a braid. I can't stand my hair otherwise.

kganihanova
January 1st, 2015, 10:42 AM
I love having fresh, lovely ends. Its why I'm still at MBL. Totally worth the trade off though, having had quantity vs quality before, I love having quality moreso than quantity now...

As for the heat, buns.

DreamSheep
January 1st, 2015, 10:57 AM
When I was a young teenager, I chopped from APL to Chin, and then to pixie - and I loved the sudden loss in hairweight. :) Though now I'm enjoying the super heaviness of having a mane behind me.

As for Summer - buns, buns buns! :)

Larki
January 1st, 2015, 11:30 AM
I just put it up in a bun, no big deal, and if I'm going to be out in the heat for a while then I put a few ice cubes in the bun. :)

meteor
January 1st, 2015, 11:43 AM
Updos (+ hats for added protection) are the way to go for hot weather.
Thick long hair can be incredibly hot and I had it cut periodically due to heat alone (I didn't know how to put hair up at the time). Thank goodness for TLHC and YouTube for teaching me updos! :joy:

I do remember when I cut it from BSL to chin as a child. I felt so much lighter! Which was strange since I hadn't felt like my hair was heavy before the cut. Such an odd sensation.

That's normal and it's due to the fact that hair grows very, very slowly, so hair follicles, scalp and your whole body adjusts and learns to live with it, without you having to consciously notice the incremental increase in weight.
When you cut a lot of hair off, it's an immediate change and something that your body isn't used to on a daily basis, so you notice the lightness because the change is sudden.

hanne jensen
January 1st, 2015, 11:43 AM
Ice cubes in the bun-brilliant! I'll have to remember that this summer.

Usually I put my hair in a bun and put a dampened Buff on my head when the weather is hot. The ice cubes sound much more effective.

Panth
January 1st, 2015, 01:10 PM
A wet bandana / scarf / shawl will do the same cooling trick as wetting the hair but is much less heavy (and is easier to re-wet if you're out and about). Added bonus: provided it's not practically gauze, it'll also help protect your hair from UV damage.

Panth
January 1st, 2015, 01:22 PM
Double post.