PDA

View Full Version : Hair scent

wilderwein
December 31st, 2014, 10:44 AM
I tried scalp only wash and I like the results, my only concern is the hair scent. I went a couple days ago in a place with lots of people smoking and my hair "catched" that smell. Is there a way to freshen up hair in between full washes without using perfume?

Nadine <3
December 31st, 2014, 10:48 AM
Essential oils? I like putting a few drops in a spray bottle so when I dampen my hair, I get a nice smell. I like peppermint and lavender.

wilderwein
December 31st, 2014, 10:49 AM
Essential oils? I like putting a few drops in a spray bottle so when I dampen my hair, I get a nice smell. I like peppermint and lavender.

Oh thats great! So diluted with water it will be kinda like a hair perfume!

woodswanderer
December 31st, 2014, 11:03 AM
I do essential oil in with my hair mister bottle. I add lavender and tangerine oil.

wilderwein
December 31st, 2014, 11:08 AM
I do essential oil in with my hair mister bottle. I add lavender and tangerine oil.

Sounds great! thank you ladies for your responses! Now I need to find EO's that I like the smell, lavender it'll be in for sure

TrapperCreekD
December 31st, 2014, 01:00 PM
Essential oils work great - if you have a leave in conditioner, you can also spritz that on for a bit of scent if the smoke smell isn't too strong.

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 01:45 PM
Yep, I agree about essential oils: just choose the ones that you like the smell of and that you know you won't react to.

Another option is rosewater and neroli (orange) flower water. They are often sold in Middle Eastern stores or health food stores. They smell amazing and are nice moisturizers/toners, as well.

Also, with persistent smells aerating hair is helpful - you can try and fan hair a bit outside or next to a fan.

BambooBeauty
December 31st, 2014, 02:10 PM
I love using rose water in my hair. It leaves a nice light scent. I also use essential oils. I just put a couple drops on my hair brush and then brush my hair. My favorite is lavender and orange.

wilderwein
December 31st, 2014, 06:09 PM
Great ideas everyone!!! thanks a lot, I'll need to experiment now with the scents YAAAY *science mode: on*

mariechin1234
December 31st, 2014, 06:34 PM
I love using rose water in my hair. It leaves a nice light scent. I also use essential oils. I just put a couple drops on my hair brush and then brush my hair. My favorite is lavender and orange.

Rose water is great for your hair and also for your tummy.

CurlyCap
January 1st, 2015, 03:03 AM
How do you guys preserve your EOs in your mister bottle?

Mine always get gross with things growing in them. I was enjoying using scents in my hair, but had to stop.

lapushka
January 1st, 2015, 09:24 AM
CurlyCap, what kind of water are you using? I'd try distilled water. The kind you can get at the store or from a dryer.

meteor
January 1st, 2015, 10:27 AM
How do you guys preserve your EOs in your mister bottle?

Mine always get gross with things growing in them. I was enjoying using scents in my hair, but had to stop.

If I dilute with water, I make enough only for 1 or 2 applications.

Another option is to make an oil mix from your EOs in carrier oil(s) and apply that to hair (an anhydrous mix like that will last for months if not longer).

Some people put a couple drops of EO on their comb, TT or brush and spread it on length this way.
Careful around your scalp though: scalp/skin should not be exposed to undiluted EOs, in general (but I think lavender and some others are usually OK), as you can even get a chemical burn from many EOs undiluted.

BambooBeauty
January 1st, 2015, 12:15 PM
Rose water is great for your hair and also for your tummy.

Really? Should I just drink it?

meteor
January 1st, 2015, 12:43 PM
^ Some people like to add it to their tea, lemonade, mixed drinks.
Its traditional use is in pastries, desserts and to flavor rice. Turkish/Middle Eastern stores usually carry it in their cooking section (incidentally, it's also a great place for picking up 100% argan oil and sweet almond oil ;) ), just check the ingredients to make sure it's pure rosewater.