PDA

View Full Version : How does shed hair grow back without making it look like you have broken hair?

MissMoppet
December 31st, 2014, 08:03 AM
Curious about something. If we can shed up to 100 hairs a day, how do some people look like they have long hair, that is all one length? Why don't they have random hairs sticking out at the top of their head and peeking out all the way down along their hair? I shed a lot of hair after taking a certain medication (nothing serious) and now it is growing back in phases. I have some hair that is about 5 inches long , 2 inches long, and a few new bits sticking out under an inch. As my hair grows back in, obviously the shorter bits stick out from my hair and look like I have had a lot of split ends. I don't - my hair hardly ever gets split ends. Why doesn't everyone look like this though, if we naturally shed hair daily?

Just wondering...

:)

Madora
December 31st, 2014, 08:10 AM
Hair that looks all one length might be achieved by using something that plasters the hair down and together..to give the impression of sleek, all one length hair. Also, some hair grows more quickly in some parts of the scalp than others. And not all hair on your head will grow long in spite of all the tlc you give it.

lapushka
December 31st, 2014, 08:11 AM
I think because with the meds, it's an unnatural situation, you shed more than you should. I think naturally, it's way more subtle.

Panth
December 31st, 2014, 08:36 AM
It's because the layering effect is very gradual (because in normal shedding only a very small proportion of hairs shed per day and even then they shed at different times in the day), whereas with a stress-, illness- or pregnancy-induced shed the amount of hairs shed in a short amount of time is much bigger. That gives a layered effect.

Of course, the other answer is, they don't. We get people here all the time asking "why have I got all this damage!?" when really a photo shows it's just new growth. Depending on hairtype and other things like humidity (and thus static), the shorter bits may be more or less obvious.

spidermom
December 31st, 2014, 08:56 AM
Everybody has hairs of all different lengths, from the tip just emerging from the scalp to the longest hairs. On me, a wavy, many of the new hairs stand on end and wave around. On other hair types, they are straight and smooth and go with the flow so are much less obvious.

diddiedaisy
December 31st, 2014, 09:04 AM
I am so with you on this one. I lost about 30 o/o last year and my new growth has came back in stages too. But from the ears down my hair is a million lengths and looks so damaged with all the bits sticking out It can be very demoralising, and I sometimes think what's the point of growing my hair when this is what it looks like. Once I reach bsl in a few months though I'm going to start trimming regularly to improve it's appearance. I have about a years worth of growth to ditch :(

Knifegill
December 31st, 2014, 10:23 AM
A few months ago I suddenly had a halo of 1 inch hairs. Most of my hair was like 4 inches long at the time. First I thought I must have done some horrible damage, but then I remembered sometimes these new phases happen in spurts. I'm lucky it happened just as I was deciding to grow my hair long. But I tend to do some odd dietary things, I won't be surprised in the least if I occasionally earn a fresh batch of head sprouts from new food routine changes.

embee
December 31st, 2014, 10:25 AM
Spidermom has it right. Hair is all different lengths. Always, even with a nice new trim. On some folks it shows more than on others.

Those who are upset about the showing - just remember how lovely a bunny or a kitten looks in sunshine, that halo of ... ends all sticking out, how soft. :)

Nadine <3
December 31st, 2014, 10:43 AM
Everybody has hairs of all different lengths, from the tip just emerging from the scalp to the longest hairs. On me, a wavy, many of the new hairs stand on end and wave around. On other hair types, they are straight and smooth and go with the flow so are much less obvious.

I have this too, most noticeably right after if dries after a wash when they're no longer covered in my sebum.