PDA

View Full Version : Hair doesn't stretch, taut like wire

Knifegill
December 31st, 2014, 03:20 AM
Is this bad? My hair doesn't stretch at all.

Dreams_in_Pink
December 31st, 2014, 03:59 AM
Do you mean stretching when wet? If so, not stretching should be good, because bleached and damaged hair stretches and snaps when wet.

Johannah
December 31st, 2014, 04:10 AM
Are you referring to the protein-moisture balance here?

Knifegill
December 31st, 2014, 04:13 AM
I don't know. I just read, awhile back, that hair normally stretches some, even when dry. But as far as I can tell, mine does not stretch at all. Will it break more? Is there anything I should do?

Panth
December 31st, 2014, 04:27 AM
Does it snap almost immediately when under tension? I.e. is it brittle?

If not, no. There's nothing wrong with that.

If yes, try adding more "moisture" (i.e. emollients, conditining agents) to your routine and possibly scaling back (though not necessarily eliminating completely) products containing protein.

Johannah
December 31st, 2014, 04:30 AM
I don't know. I just read, awhile back, that hair normally stretches some, even when dry. But as far as I can tell, mine does not stretch at all. Will it break more? Is there anything I should do?

Then yes, you are referring to the moisture-protein balance. This theory says that when your hair is healthy, which means balanced, your hair will stretch a little bit and then go back to its original state. When your hair is overmoisturized, your hair will stretch and stretch and stretch. If this is the case, you need to use protein. On the other hand, there's a possibility of a lack of moisture. This will result in hair that doesn't stretch at all and just snaps. You need to add moisture to your hair care regime to balance this out. Based on your description, you are in the last category.

Just know that this theory is used as a GUIDE and isn't 100% true. It doesn't mean that if your hair doesn't stretch, it's unhealthy or hasn't enough moisture. It could just be how your hair acts in normal circumstances. What is your hair care routine? Do you use oils? Humectants? Conditioners? Deep moisture treatments? You could try this out and see how your hair reacts. If it works: cool. If it doesn't, no problem.

lapushka
December 31st, 2014, 09:26 AM
Sounds to me like your hair is just fine & healthy!

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 11:12 AM
Does it snap almost immediately when under tension? I.e. is it brittle?

If not, no. There's nothing wrong with that.

If yes, try adding more "moisture" (i.e. emollients, conditining agents) to your routine and possibly scaling back (though not necessarily eliminating completely) products containing protein.

^ This! :agree:

Also, don't forget that this test is just a guide, and very rarely is hair clearly on the one or the other side of the spectrum. For example, if you bleach your hair over bleach, it's a very common experience to immediately see hair getting all gummy and losing its structure - clearly in need of a strong dose of hydrolyzed proteins ASAP. Or if hair just snaps as soon as you try to detangle it in desert-like dryness - clearly in need of moisture...
But normal hair is resilient, doesn't stretch much and doesn't snap too easily.

Anje
December 31st, 2014, 01:23 PM
Are you speaking about the mass of your hair, or is it that even one individual hair (say a shed in the shower) won't stretch when you pull on it? It just breaks? Is your hair also rough or really tangly? Wirey?

If so, I'd call that a sign of needing a bit more moisture. For me, emollients don't cut it for this -- I need humectants. SMTs are my magic bullet, but just a handful of no-protein conditioner with a squeeze of honey or pancake syrup mixed in, left in the hair for maybe 20-30 minutes, go a long way to making my hair more smooth and soft. It detangles a lot better when it's like that.

Kendrix
December 31st, 2014, 05:42 PM
Oh my. Is hair SUPPOSED to stretch? I have this horrible habit of stretching rogue ends that bend the wrong way. I know, horrible. But if yours aren't so tangle and fragile, what's the issue?

spidermom
December 31st, 2014, 06:27 PM
Test stretch when hair is wet.