PDA

View Full Version : First George Michael Appointment

Crumpet
December 30th, 2014, 01:03 PM
I'm super-excited since I just made my first ever George Michael appointment for a trim and treatment. Its for this Friday in the early afternoon.

I know there are some here who have been before. Are there any tips or words of wisdom before I go? I will ask them about a plan for growing out my layers and for leading up to my wedding...any other ideas?

bonbon58
December 30th, 2014, 01:30 PM
Hooray! Can't wait to see your results. Are you going to the one in Manhattan?

Johannah
December 30th, 2014, 01:31 PM
I vote for before and after pictures ;)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 30th, 2014, 01:38 PM
Yes - pictures please and we want to hear all about how it went too! :)

Crumpet
December 30th, 2014, 02:10 PM
I'll ask them to take a before and after photo. I'm terrible about posting photos on here, but at least my work schedule has calmed down so its more likely than usual that I'll actually post them!

I'm going to the one in Manhattan. I'll try to write up a good review of the experience, although I think it will pale in comparison to the ones I've seen from Madora. Hers are full of such detail!

Madora
December 30th, 2014, 03:40 PM
I'll ask them to take a before and after photo. I'm terrible about posting photos on here, but at least my work schedule has calmed down so its more likely than usual that I'll actually post them!

I'm going to the one in Manhattan. I'll try to write up a good review of the experience, although I think it will pale in comparison to the ones I've seen from Madora. Hers are full of such detail!

I'm delighted to hear you're going for your first GM treatment and trim! Bring a notepad with you so you can jot down the process and your thoughts as you go thru it..and who helped work on your hair. I guess my only tips would be is to dress comfortably and bring something to read (if you're a reader) because you'll be spending at least one hour under the heating cap, and then Heaven only knows how much time will be spent under the hair drying hood. The noise under the hood precludes conversation with anyone. Bring enough $$$ to cover the tips for the people who worked on your hair...and for any hairtoys that might catch your attention (last time I was there the hair toy selection was rather small). And yes, before and after pictures would be wonderful! Have a grand time! Looking forward to reading all about it!

lapushka
December 30th, 2014, 03:42 PM
I'm not sure how they'll treat wavy hair, but I hope you have fun!

meteor
December 30th, 2014, 04:16 PM
Yay, how exciting! :D

Another vote for photos :), especially if you can get pictures of the process or of the salon. ;)

Oh and if you can ask them what products they are using on your hair? I don't know if GM uses leave-ins, but all salons I've been to do put a bunch of products along the way... I'm really curious about their process. :)

Mimha
December 30th, 2014, 05:58 PM
Looking forward to reading from you after this unforgettable experience ! And yes : before and after pictures would be very very much appreciated !!^^

MsPharaohMoan
December 30th, 2014, 06:32 PM
The noise under the hood precludes conversation with anyone.

Oh that sounds just heavenly! :popcorn:

blace
December 30th, 2014, 07:02 PM
As a hair stylist and long hair persuer, I am super jealous. A trip there is on my bucket list. I wish they had a salon here in Dallas. I would apply for employment!

Crumpet
December 30th, 2014, 07:52 PM
Thanks everyone! And great suggestions Madora!

I'm also curious about how they'll deal with wavy hair Lapushka. I have never used a blow dryer or any such styling device, so their methods will be interesting. We'll see how it goes with my hair type!

One of the reasons for my appointment is that I'm hoping that they can help me with determining the best approach to my hair over the next year (balancing growth and getting rid of layers). I think they'll be helpful.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 30th, 2014, 08:28 PM
Can we all come too?:p

Crumpet
December 31st, 2014, 01:20 PM
Can we all come too?:p

PLEASE! I'm excited and scared. I haven't been to a salon in nearly two years. Its scary but wonderful at the same time. It would be good to have Longhair Friends along!

Madora
December 31st, 2014, 04:25 PM
PLEASE! I'm excited and scared. I haven't been to a salon in nearly two years. Its scary but wonderful at the same time. It would be good to have Longhair Friends along!

Crumpet, if its any help, I was nervous as hell when I went to my first GM appointment in 1982. Of course I'd read all about him for years..but I'd never been in a bone fide beauty salon before and didn't know what to expect.

The staff couldn't have been nicer and everything was explained. They even gave me a small printed brochure at the onset, which described the general GM philosophy (not that I didn't know it already!) I'm looking forward to reading your report!

Vanilla
December 31st, 2014, 04:34 PM
The GM salon experience is awesome. I had a great time the 3 times I've been there. They handle your hair with such care and respect.

I second Madora's suggestion of bringing something to read. There will be quite a bit of idle time while your hair is under the cap for treatment as well as when they dry it under the bonnet dryer. Can't wait to hear about your experience!

Crumpet
December 31st, 2014, 04:58 PM
Thank you both for the reassurances and suggestions. I'm a big reader so I'll have a good book with me. I'm looking forward to the zen time during the appointment!

LauraLongLocks
December 31st, 2014, 05:13 PM
Hope you have a wonderful time. Can't wait to see pics!

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 05:19 PM
The GM salon experience is awesome. I had a great time the 3 times I've been there. They handle your hair with such care and respect.

Wow! You went 3 times! How exciting! :D

I'm so curious about their signature conditioning treatment: do they use many globs of the mask? do they apply with a rake/comb? and did they tell what the star ingredients are?

And do they have a special technique for combing/brushing hair when it's dry? :)

Madora
December 31st, 2014, 09:36 PM

I'm so curious about their signature conditioning treatment: do they use many globs of the mask? do they apply with a rake/comb? and did they tell what the star ingredients are?

And do they have a special technique for combing/brushing hair when it's dry? :)

Meteor, their conditioning treatment (after the shampoo is rinsed out) consists of a thick, creamy white conditioner that is worked (with fingers only) all through the hair..quite a bit of it is slathered on. Then the hair is sectioned into small, thin strips and each section is wound around your head. You end up looking like you're wearing a beehive and then you're put under the heating cap for one hour. After the hour has elapsed, the conditioner is rinsed out, your hair is detangled, damp dried with a towel (slightly), then put up in a certain manner on massive rollers.

After the hair is dried and the rollers are removed, the ends are check for splits and the hemline is created (a very slight U). Then the client is instructed to bend at the waist and begin to brush. There is no special technique required for combing or brushing because take it from me, your hair is divinely soft, shiny and sleek...and almost as straight as a pin (except for the ends). The comb goes thru your hair like butter.

meteor
January 1st, 2015, 12:12 PM
Meteor, their conditioning treatment (after the shampoo is rinsed out) consists of a thick, creamy white conditioner that is worked (with fingers only) all through the hair..quite a bit of it is slathered on. Then the hair is sectioned into small, thin strips and each section is wound around your head. You end up looking like you're wearing a beehive and then you're put under the heating cap for one hour. After the hour has elapsed, the conditioner is rinsed out, your hair is detangled, damp dried with a towel (slightly), then put up in a certain manner on massive rollers.

After the hair is dried and the rollers are removed, the ends are check for splits and the hemline is created (a very slight U). Then the client is instructed to bend at the waist and begin to brush. There is no special technique required for combing or brushing because take it from me, your hair is divinely soft, shiny and sleek...and almost as straight as a pin (except for the ends). The comb goes thru your hair like butter.

Thank you so much for sharing, Madora! :flowers:
It's really good to know, and I think their deep conditioning and wet-setting methods look excellent. :)

Vanilla
January 1st, 2015, 01:15 PM

It was really exciting being there. I'm fortunate that I live only 40 minutes away from the salon (by train). Madora's explanation is spot on about how they treat your hair during the treatment and combing afterwards.

Gertrude
January 1st, 2015, 06:45 PM
Enjoy! I have been a regular at the London one for several years. It's slightly different from the Manhattan one in the procedure for Treatment& Trim:

* Hair is washed gently
* Deep conditioner is slapped on by hand and I mean slapped on root to tip making the beehive as described. Then there is waxed paper and again a plastic foil ( Health and Safety laws, not a good look with wrinkles (-; and the heat cap for an hour. I read the lovely magazines they have.

* Rinsed out, creme rinse, and then combed out ( Mason Pearson Rake comb) and roller set. I have fine, straight, not thick hair and take 90 minutes ! under the heat cap. Lovely, lovely magazines I never buy, cup of tea mini-vacation.

* Then rollers come out and the client gets instructed to brush upside down using the other hand as rake. I don't, my neck doesn't take it, so it just gets brushed, not for long by stylist/lowner

* Trim is S&D very patiently, twisting small bits of hair, sitting, then standing for the length trim of 1/4 inch if you are growing. Layers get S&D but not trimmed. Very slight U.Result is the same length of hair in front as the hair in the back.

Manhattan would only trim, trims alternate with treatment&trims, after shampoo and set in the salon. , now apparently they do 3 monthly trims and treatments, rather than 2 months trim, four months both treatment and trim as per GM himself. London is trim only but you just come in with clean hair. All trims on dry hair; you can't see split ends in wet hair.

* Updos are lovely but use GM special back combing that is heck to comb out but does without damage and lots of hairspray here in UK

* Be prepared to have it all wash over you, the explanation of the GM method, smile and nod and be clear about what you want: the products from me are a. non vegetarian( collagen) and b. follow strict GM rules. So my fine hair got the very drying shampoo and it was way too harsh. Yes I have more hairs. with an oil gland each, than someone with coarse hair my hair is not working for British Petroleum. Also the shampoo here is 40USD. So if you want the trims( and you do, they're amazing) and the salon treatment as a treat, but don't want to change your products and spend a lot on products, be sure to smile and nod and think about it. I also made the mistake of becoming convinced my Mason Pearson all bristle brush was bad, despite my hair liking it, and buying a $$$ Kent brush that is murder on my hair.

There is no leave in but the creme rinse funtions somewhat as one, heavy on quats it is applied as a last rinse. They are older products so the shampoos are more drying than modern ones and the conditioners are less moisturising but have no silicones consequently. The GM method is CWC as in apply a little 12 minute conditioner to length, shampoo, use one minute conditioner or nothing, then the creme rinse. I was " prescribed" the drying shampoo with just he creme rinse. Aargh. The 12 minute conditioner is similar to the one hour treatment. But $$$$

I have been coming for several years, and regularly enough, every ten weeks or so, and that's meant less sales pressure. For me home S&D was hazardous and scissor-happy, and home trims ditto, I was forever * evening up* so I have gained length with the regular trims and throwing out the home scissors. My growth is slow-average so 4 inches per year, lose 1.5 inches, gain happy 2.5.

* The updos are pricey but awesome; I have very slippery hair and often have to settle for the braided bun with wavy hair pins and that often sags; it's amazing to be all done up. Must get pictures up here somehow. On thicker hair the braided up dos are amazing, but on very fine they don't work.

* Wavies get bigger rollers but all one length trims too, does look great but won't work for curlies. My friend with very curly hair uses a Curly Girl salon and they do subtle layering so her hair looks full.

** In practice it helps to be friendly and keep an open mind, but not swallow everything and be cautious about buying more than you want. It really is very, very safe for long hairs, no trimming surprises. If you enjoy the process of pampering it absolutely is a wonderfully pampering experience. I get trims only some of the years, and treatments when I can afford. In my opinion you don't need the treatment; the trims work fine without.

Do ask what updos for your wedding they would suggest because if they're not what you have in mind they won't change theirs!

Enjoy (-:

LadyLongLocks
January 1st, 2015, 08:47 PM
I went once. It was really wonderful. I had not been in a salon for at least 25 years! Have a great time.

Johannah
January 2nd, 2015, 08:46 AM

Oh god this sounds SO GOOD. :cloud9:

Madora
January 2nd, 2015, 08:49 AM
Oh god this sounds SO GOOD. :cloud9:

Yes, it is magical, Johannah! Like nothing on earth!

Johannah
January 2nd, 2015, 08:52 AM
Yes, it is magical, Johannah! Like nothing on earth!

Some day I'll make an appointment as well. It's on my to-do-list-before-I-die ;) (There were salons in Germany and London, right?)

Gertrude
January 2nd, 2015, 09:32 AM
Johannah, George Michael set up European salons with the firm that makes the George Michael products under license. They also have a far wider range of GM shampoos and conditioners that are very like other shampoos etc. That firm's sales force had connections with many German salons, and interested those salons in training in GM for their stylists and offering a long hair service. There are many German salons, competition, much more reasonable prices. Mayfair is expensive in London .........

Cosma Gmbh has all the locations on its website.

I have soft hair. Soft and slippery. Normally it hardly tangles. The treatment gives my hair a heavy feeling, but not at all greasy and strangely it makes my hair tangle so I wear it up after the appointment. As it is soft anyway it is not softer. Officially you are not supposed to wash your hair for three days as the conditioner is supposed to be working in it, and wash on day four, but I wash on day four anyway. The thicker your hair is the more the treatment makes it look amazing.............and I mean amazing..........I have seen brunettes after treatments and wow.

Madora
January 2nd, 2015, 09:32 AM
Some day I'll make an appointment as well. It's on my to-do-list-before-I-die ;) (There were salons in Germany and London, right?)

Yes, there is one in London. Many years ago there was one in Germany but I don't know if it is still active. There was also supposed to be one in Zurich.

LauraLongLocks
January 4th, 2015, 10:38 PM
After seeing your post on the waist to tailbone thread, Crumpet, I'm upset for you unexpectedly losing at least 2" of hair at your GM visit and now being above waist again. I came here looking to see if you posted more about the visit, but I see you haven't. I hope you will tell what happened. :grouphug:

Sharysa
January 4th, 2015, 11:07 PM
I'm all for getting my hair pampered at a hair-legend salon (whenever I get enough money :P ), but how does GM treat waves or curls? Someone mentioned that they have your hair dry pin-straight (!!!), which scares me more than a little regarding my own hair--that's the opposite of what I'd want with keeping/enhancing my waves.

wilderwein
January 5th, 2015, 05:44 AM
After seeing your post on the waist to tailbone thread, Crumpet, I'm upset for you unexpectedly losing at least 2" of hair at your GM visit and now being above waist again. I came here looking to see if you posted more about the visit, but I see you haven't. I hope you will tell what happened. :grouphug:

She made a new thread about her experience here http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=128754 ^-^

woolyleprechaun
January 5th, 2015, 06:00 AM
That sounds like a nice experience....although I would have expected a long hair salon to be a tad more accurate with the amount of hair trimmed!

Crumpet
January 5th, 2015, 03:56 PM
Thanks for updating wilderwein! You are more responsible than I am!!

It was a good experience, though I am sad that I didn't get the S&D (I'm actually more sad about that than loosing my length -- at least I'm trying to get rid of layers so I can rationalize losing length). I may have had a weird experience though since the person doing my hair is phasing into retirement and told me several times that she was unhappy to be working that day. If I go again, I'll ask for someone else.

The conditioning treatment is absolutely amazing at least. Its been three days since the appointment and my hair is still so soft and luscious!

mz_butterfly
January 5th, 2015, 04:02 PM
Thanks for updating wilderwein! You are more responsible than I am!! It was a good experience, though I am sad that I didn't get the S&D (I'm actually more sad about that than loosing my length -- at least I'm trying to get rid of layers so I can rationalize losing length). I may have had a weird experience though since the person doing my hair is phasing into retirement and told me several times that she was unhappy to be working that day. If I go again, I'll ask for someone else. The conditioning treatment is absolutely amazing at least. Its been three days since the appointment and my hair is still so soft and luscious! I would call in and complain. You paid a good amount for a treatment that you didn't receive. Retirement or not, there is no need to shaft someone or short someone on their services. Please call in, explain and tell them you want your S&D. They need to make it up to you. I'd be highly upset if that were me. You paid your hard earned money to receive an extensive treatment and the woman doing your hair was in a sour mood, told you so, and it showed in her performance. BOO!

Crumpet
January 5th, 2015, 04:05 PM
I would call in and complain. You paid a good amount for a treatment that you didn't receive. Retirement or not, there is no need to shaft someone or short someone on their services. Please call in, explain and tell them you want your S&D. They need to make it up to you. I'd be highly upset if that were me. You paid your hard earned money to receive an extensive treatment and the woman doing your hair was in a sour mood, told you so, and it showed in her performance. BOO!

Hah! You're so right! I am really bad about complaining. Maybe I should call them tomorrow and ask if someone can do the S&D for me. I think I'd feel better about things if I got it. I was fully expecting it, given all of the reports here -- I also SAW the other hairdresser doing them, which made it a bit worse...

Thanks for the encouragement. I really ought to stand up for myself more often...

Madora
January 5th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Hah! You're so right! I am really bad about complaining. Maybe I should call them tomorrow and ask if someone can do the S&D for me. I think I'd feel better about things if I got it. I was fully expecting it, given all of the reports here -- I also SAW the other hairdresser doing them, which made it a bit worse...

Thanks for the encouragement. I really ought to stand up for myself more often...

Crumpet, I'm very, very curious. Since you saw another hairdresser taking care of splits, I was wondering about something. Did you see any other clients who were having the full treatment plus the trim, get their hair trimmed BEFORE they had the treatment? I know you don't have a lot of time to notice things (what with changing into the smock, etc) but I was wondering if any other client had your same experience. Considering what they charge for a s and d, I'd complain too.

mz_butterfly
January 5th, 2015, 04:24 PM
Hugs to you Crumpet. You were not given your full services and that isn't right. Regardless of how bad the hairdressers day was going, that is not a reason to vocalize their displeasure and cheat you of the service you paid for.

Personally, I would expect a free service since I had to go back to get what was rightfully mine. Such as a free take home conditioner or a free deep treatment as well as the S & D that you were denied.

I would tell them just what you told us, she said several times she didn't want to be there, she said she was retiring, she promised to check the cut after the condition, she didn't do the S & D treatment and you feel bummed out about the whole experience.

wilderwein
January 5th, 2015, 05:21 PM
Thanks for updating wilderwein! You are more responsible than I am!!

hahahaha no need to thank me! I'm a creep and I'm watching silently the conversation so I had to talk at some point somehow o.o....

Crumpet
January 5th, 2015, 05:44 PM
Crumpet, I'm very, very curious. Since you saw another hairdresser taking care of splits, I was wondering about something. Did you see any other clients who were having the full treatment plus the trim, get their hair trimmed BEFORE they had the treatment? I know you don't have a lot of time to notice things (what with changing into the smock, etc) but I was wondering if any other client had your same experience. Considering what they charge for a s and d, I'd complain too.

Yes, everyone with the other hairdresser seemed to get at least an S&D before the treatment if not the full trim from what I could see (as you say, so hard to track!).

Thanks to all of you for suggesting/supporting that I complain. I'll do so tomorrow. I tried calling a bit earlier tonight, but there was no answer. I'm not sure when they close (their hours weren't posted). I sometimes need bucking up with such things, even though I know its the best way forward for everyone. They should know that their clients notice when they skimp and if one of the people there isn't fulfilling the services properly.

LauraLongLocks
January 5th, 2015, 08:15 PM
Good for you, Crumpet. I hope everything is set right for you soon.

StephanieB
January 5th, 2015, 08:22 PM
Hmm. I have been to the Manhattan Madora Long Hair heaven salon several times over the past few years. My experience has been similar to - but not exactly like - that which Madora and others here in this thread have described.

First - what I did not get: Iris always does a great and wonderful job on my hair. But she has never ever asked me to bend from my waist to brush my hair, or for me to do so to brush my own hair. Not that I can recall… and neither does hubby remember my doing this, although he has seen many very longtime ver long-haired clients there doing it. (ankle length clients) Why? I don't know. Maybe it's because of my severe mobility problems? I have a broken spine, and was still using a quad cane when I first visited the salon? Iris knows I'm disabled, even though it doesn't show outwardly as much these days. I was less than a year out of my supposedly-permanent wheelchair when I first went there. I may even have been still using my walker; I don't actually recall. But now that I walk again, and on my own - she has never asked me if I could bend and brush my hair. ?????

Second - what I had / had done that was different than other people in this thread at a GM salon: My hair, after having the treatment stuff slathered into my hair, wasn't (to the best of my limited knowledge - I am legally blind without my eyeglasses) wrapped into a beehive, either. It was carefully piled up, yes. But no beehive. I don't know if that could be because my hair is still yet only mid-back, a few inches from wait, OR if it's because my hair is thin (although Iris says it's not nearly so thin as I think it is). I did have every other experience else regarding this treatment that everyone else seems to have had.?????

I have wavy/curly hair. (see my stats under my user name) I've never left Madora Long-Hair Heaven Salon with straight-looking or straightened hair, nor have I ever left there with hair other than with my own wavy/curly spirals other than when I left with a braid (see my avatar). I don't know what everyone is talking about - having their hair wrapped, doobie-style, to straighten before going under the bonnet dryer??? Not me… ?????

Everything else is consistent with my own experiences.

Again, there are some good reasons why Iris treats me a bit differently than the rest of her clients… I made certain to mention those. Perhaps that's why?? I don't know. :shrug:

I could bend forward from my waist, so long as I hold onto the back of the chair… but Iris would have to brush my hair. I can't do it for myself while bending. I must hang onto something if I am to bend like that.

I prefer my hair to look like it usually does [only better] when I leave - so I'm happy that my hair isn't straightened.

Crumpet: As a GM salon "regular", I, too, would urge you to call and speak to the manager of the GM salon that you went to. It bothers ME that you were so short-changed during your experience there… even though I didn't pay and it wasn't my hair or experience that was marred. I'm very surprised! It's not like that in Manhattan.

Oh - one other thing: My dark brunette hair looked to be many shades lighter brown (a brownette, rather than a brunette) - almost the taffy-golden brown that my hair was when I was a very young child, rather than the dark brunette that almost appears brown-black which my hair has been since puberty set in over 4 decades ago - after my treatments… each time. The lighter color (or appearance of such) lasted 'til my next shampoo at home. It's always been that way after a treatment. I meant to ask about that this last time I went, in December - but I forgot to ask. Perhaps the treatment made my hair so shiny that the light bouncing off of it makes it appear so much lighter? I know that it's possible, so… :shrug: maybe.
Compare my avatar pic to the pic in my signature. Both should be as dark as the braid pic in my avatar pic… yet they aren't. The siggy pic was taken hours after my treatment, as soon as I arrived home, but recent pix show that my hair color is still the same as it was in the avvy pic. Go figure???
Also, note all the curls in my hair after I left the salon. No straight hair on my head! lol Just natural wavy curls.

StephanieB
January 5th, 2015, 08:23 PM
Good for you, Crumpet. I hope everything is set right for you soon.

So do I, Crumpet.

Crumpet
January 6th, 2015, 12:25 AM
:grouphug:

Wow, you all are amazing. THANK YOU for the encouragement to speak up. I'm really bad at defending myself. I just sent them an email and I'll follow up with a phone call tomorrow if I don't hear back from them (I tried calling them today with no answer).

StephanieB -- thanks for your lengthy, helpful response. I agree that I didn't have a beehive during the treatment -- just carefully piled up hair. Iris gave me a choice between curly and straighter hair for the dryer. I chose something more organized than my usual waves. There was no pressure to make my hair straight. Iris never asked me to brush my hair or anything like that -- I'm not sure why/why not. Thanks also for encouraging me to speak out -- your message pushed me over the email edge so thank you for your encouragement and support. :blossom:

An old but so true LHC saying: I came for the hair and I stayed for the people. Its great having such positive support here!!

Gertrude
January 6th, 2015, 06:26 AM
As a George Michael regular, and Manhattan is the original salon, I would certainly complain and demand they make things right. I honestly can't get over the stylist saying she was not happy to work that day. That's completely unprofessional. Retirement coming but she is still working and is not supposed to take things out on her customers. I would not expect that in any salon, let alone a George Michael one.

The first visit you should have the whole George Michael system explained. The brushing instruction happens every time you have a treatment, unless they worry about your health. I mentioned my neck issues and I don't get asked to brush after treatment and drying. But it is standard.

But my hair is lovely and wavy after the roller drying and the brushing flattens and straigthens it all out, so maybe as you wanted a curlier result it was not done. It does pull the roller set out.

The trims are so expensive because they take so long. Strange as it seems to me a whole hair cut normally only takes 15 minutes, and that's for a complex short style. They can trim the bottom of one length hair in less than that. The S&D takes time so a GM trim is 30 minutes.

You're happy with the treatment part I think? I would want a complete refund on the trim. And some kind of good will gesture.

Crumpet
January 6th, 2015, 09:40 AM
Gertrude -- thank you for giving me your own perspective. Iris never offered to brush my hair (or show me how to brush) or any of that after the hair drying experience. She just put it up and said I was done.

Yes, I was definitely happy with the treatment -- it completely lived up to expectations. It was the trim/consultation that was lacking. I was happy to pay the high rate if for the trim/S&D/consultation but not for a 5 minute trim. I think your suggestion is a good one and I'll bring that up to them when I call them if I don't get a response to the email later on today. Thank you!

Crumpet
January 6th, 2015, 01:04 PM
UPDATE: Vinnie responded to my email today and offered a split end trim and consultation appointment. She apologized that I didn't receive these last time and said to extend her thanks to everyone who suggested that I contact them to make it right. I'll call her tomorrow to set up the new appointment and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again to all of you for suggesting that I do this. I'm really terrible about standing up for myself in these situations. Its one of those things I need to work on. Thanks for helping me do that and for sharing all of your own experiences so I felt okay reaching out to them again.

:blossom:

Madora
January 6th, 2015, 01:06 PM
UPDATE: Vinnie responded to my email today and offered a split end trim and consultation appointment. She apologized that I didn't receive these last time and said to extend her thanks to everyone who suggested that I contact them to make it right. I'll call her tomorrow to set up the new appointment and let you all know how it goes.

Thanks again to all of you for suggesting that I do this. I'm really terrible about standing up for myself in these situations. Its one of those things I need to work on. Thanks for helping me do that and for sharing all of your own experiences so I felt okay reaching out to them again.

:blossom: Good for you, Crumpet! Looking forward to reading all about your consultation and trim!

Crumpet
January 6th, 2015, 01:09 PM
Thanks Madora! I'm excited and also relieved. I'm glad to see the experience turn around. I had been so excited for it and then was sad that it didn't live up to expectations...but I think Iris was just having an off day. Its great that they're happy to make up for it.

Sarahlabyrinth
January 6th, 2015, 01:33 PM
I'm so happy for you that they offered to put things right for you Crumpet! I'm looking forward to hearing about your experience of the consultation and split end trim! :) It is lovely being able to read others' experiences and great that we can support each other and offer advice here:) LHC is just great!

LauraLongLocks
January 6th, 2015, 02:19 PM
I'm so glad to hear they are trying to make it right for you. I can't wait to hear how it goes!

mz_butterfly
January 6th, 2015, 02:23 PM
I am glad the salon offered to render the remainder of your services. Hopefully you will get a conditioning treatment on the house, for your wasted trip and time. :) I would mention it casually, as in. "oh, will I be getting the conditioning treatment as well, since I had to make another appointment to come back for the trim and S&D"? :D smoooooooth lol

Crumpet
January 6th, 2015, 02:35 PM
I am glad the salon offered to render the remainder of your services. Hopefully you will get a conditioning treatment on the house, for your wasted trip and time. :) I would mention it casually, as in. "oh, will I be getting the conditioning treatment as well, since I had to make another appointment to come back for the trim and S&D"? :D smoooooooth lol

Mz_Butterfly, I should make you my official negotiator: "Vinny, please direct all questions to Mz_Butterfly."

Thanks everyone. I love the LHC for SO many reasons beyond just the gorgeous hair. You all are amazing. Thank you!!

Crumpet
March 3rd, 2015, 12:37 PM
***UPDATE***
I went back go the GM salon to make up for the bad experience. I am so glad all of you supported me and encouraged me to do this. I had a wonderful time and ended up with a completely different view of the GM salon.

The person who helped me apologized for what happened and she took a good, lengthy, intense look at my hair. She was delighted that I didn't colour it and said it was in good shape. She could see I had the last bits of layers (only the front bits now) left and thought they grew out really well.

Her big tip was that she said I needed to section my buns and/or braid my hair more -- she showed me some minor breakage from bunning my hair in the same two or three spots (centered at various levels). Even though I change up my bun fairly often, she said that the location is a problem. She showed me some great alternatives to what I've been doing, which were really pretty AND easy once she explained them.

She then trimmed my split ends, going through my hair carefully twice. She told me not to S&D at home unless I happen to spot a split or two because she said it would thin my hair out. She said that my hair was healthy enough to just let the occasional trim take care of the splits.

She then tried to smoothen the transition from my all-one-length hair to the last of may layers. It definitely looks better. She thinks that in about a year even the thinned out front bits will be fully incorporated into my hair (i.e. beyond even the ends of the layers) while taking off only about half of my growth. She suggested I do it that way since she wanted to incorporate the thinner layered ends into the rest of my hair fairly quickly so that they are better protected and can start getting trimmed again. Those poor front bits haven't been trimmed in about two years!

I was given travel sizes of two different shampoos and their conditioner, a GM handbook, and lots of helpful tips. She even put my hair up into a lovely two-strand braided updo that I love.

All in all, I am so pleased that I went back and that they were so helpful. Thanks also to everyone here for your help and advice! I wouldn't have gone back without you!

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 12:45 PM
^ Yay! That sounds wonderful, Crumpet! :joy:

So happy for your excellent experience this time! So good that you went back there and that they took their time to give you an excellent consultation and S&D! :D

Her big tip was that she said I needed to section my buns and/or braid my hair more -- she showed me some minor breakage from bunning my hair in the same two or three spots (centered at various levels). Even though I change up my bun fairly often, she said that the location is a problem. She showed me some great alternatives to what I've been doing, which were really pretty AND easy once she explained them.

:scared: Oh my goodness! That's scary, as I almost always wear my hair in the same style. Can you please describe how/where exactly you or she looked to find that damage? :pray: I'd like to check my own hair, too.

She even put my hair up into a lovely two-strand braided updo that I love.

Sounds amazing! I would really love to see that updo! :D If you are worried about linking pictures, could you please post some description/instructions on how the style was achieved? :pray: GM updos are to-die-for gorgeous! :D

Crumpet
March 3rd, 2015, 01:08 PM
Thanks Meteor. I really wouldn't have gone back except for all of the support here. I'm glad to see that there really is a home for long hairs out there. I should add that her hair was absolutely gorgeous. I was in awe.

Yes, I was totally freaked by the breakage (there really wasn't much but it was obvious when she pointed it out and I resolved to change my bunning ways!):

She got a mirror and showed me the back of my head in bright light. She divided my hair in a center part. It was clear that if you followed the part down that the hair from the back of the part down to where my hairline would be on my neck (but only on the canopy) was more broken off than the rest of my hair. When she pulled those bits away, my hair was much smoother. She said it worsens with age, length, and if you do the same bun. I change my bun up -- both style (rotating between disc and nautalis, but also a few others) and location (nape, center, top). She said that wasn't enough.

Her suggestion was to french braid or two-strand braid the top of my hair and THEN join it with the rest of the hair into a bun so that it takes the weight off. Side buns, double buns, and braided buns that start with a french or dutch braid also help distribute weight and prevent breakage.

The updo she did on me was parted on the right, and each part in the front was two strand braided until my nape. She then made a rope braid and coiled it into a bun at my nape. Its lovely. I would share pictures but work has been so busy lately that I'm too lazy to transfer them over. I'll take a picture though and hope for the best!

meteor
March 3rd, 2015, 01:30 PM
Thanks Meteor. I really wouldn't have gone back except for all of the support here. I'm glad to see that there really is a home for long hairs out there. I should add that her hair was absolutely gorgeous. I was in awe.

Yes, I was totally freaked by the breakage (there really wasn't much but it was obvious when she pointed it out and I resolved to change my bunning ways!):

She got a mirror and showed me the back of my head in bright light. She divided my hair in a center part. It was clear that if you followed the part down that the hair from the back of the part down to where my hairline would be on my neck (but only on the canopy) was more broken off than the rest of my hair. When she pulled those bits away, my hair was much smoother. She said it worsens with age, length, and if you do the same bun. I change my bun up -- both style (rotating between disc and nautalis, but also a few others) and location (nape, center, top). She said that wasn't enough.

Her suggestion was to french braid or two-strand braid the top of my hair and THEN join it with the rest of the hair into a bun so that it takes the weight off. Side buns, double buns, and braided buns that start with a french or dutch braid also help distribute weight and prevent breakage.

The updo she did on me was parted on the right, and each part in the front was two strand braided until my nape. She then made a rope braid and coiled it into a bun at my nape. Its lovely. I would share pictures but work has been so busy lately that I'm too lazy to transfer them over. I'll take a picture though and hope for the best!

^ Thank you so very much for sharing, Crumpet! :flowers: :smooch: It's extremely useful! :D I'm definitely going to take those tips very seriously! Now I know I wasn't imagining that pulling in the same spot. Even if the scalp adjusts and gets "tougher", those hairs continue being constantly stressed. Double/triple buns, coronet/crown braids and sectioned updos are so comfy for a reason.

And that updo sounds beyond stunning! :applause I'd love to see that gorgeousness.
(Oh and please don't worry about the timing, of course! :flower: We'll happily wait! :D )

stachelbeere
March 3rd, 2015, 03:20 PM
^ seconding! Thank you for the valuable tips Crumpet and I agree meteor about the hair adjusting thing :blossom:

Madora
March 3rd, 2015, 03:23 PM
Crumpet, I'm delighted to read your recent GM visit was so successful and that you are happy with them. Sounds like you had an excellent teacher! Who was she? Looking forward to seeing pix!

Vanilla
March 3rd, 2015, 07:22 PM
Great tips crumpet! Going to be varying up my hairstyles even more and doing more Dutch/French braided updos from now on. I've been experiencing a lot of breakage recently, and this new info will be very helpful for me.

Crumpet
March 3rd, 2015, 10:16 PM
Vanilla -- I'm so glad it was helpful to you also! I've been really inspired by your hair, by the way, so I'm glad I could pass on something useful to you!

Madora -- thank you! And thank you once again for your support. Ruby worked with me today. She's a lovely person (with AMAZING hair) in addition to being so helpful today.

I'm so glad all of you GM experts made me go back. It felt so good to have the real experience. I got such great advice and I really appreciate the shaping that she did. Even though it didn't take off any length, it just makes the growing out of my last layers so much better.

I took some (bad) photos and hope to post them soon.

Thanks again to everyone here. I so appreciate your advice and support!

LauraLongLocks
March 6th, 2015, 09:14 PM
Wow, that bit about sectioning the bun is something I really need to pay attention to. Thanks for sharing it. So glad you had a better experience.