PDA

View Full Version : Canopy/underlayer difference

Periwinkle
September 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
I've seen a few people mention that the canopy and underlayer of their hair is different, and I'd like to see what the most common differences are.

My underlayer (which has no layers) is 1b/1c, and my canopy (layered) is 2a/2b.

Gumball
September 28th, 2008, 01:11 PM
My canopy is definitely straighter than the hair beneath it. I attribute at least part of that to the fact that my canopy seems to likely take the brunt of the elemental exposure. It's not only usually straighter, but more dry, fluffier, etc.

harley mama
September 28th, 2008, 01:37 PM
My canopy is straighter than the underlayer. I think it is because it has more wear and tear from daily sun, friction and such.

ladyshannonanne
September 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
My canopy is almost in the straight category (just a bit of wave), but it gets wavier toward the back and around the back of my neck, I have ringlet curls. One of my friends is the opposite; she has a wurly canopy and relatively straight under layers. We joke that if we could just borrow each other's canopy/under layers, we would have perfect hair texture instead of the in between nonsense.

1nuitblanche
September 28th, 2008, 01:55 PM
My canopy is straighter than my underlayer. However, the longer it's been since I washed my hair, the straighter the curls in my underlayer get--they even disappear!

mira-chan
September 28th, 2008, 02:01 PM
They are both full of cheese. My canopy is coarser and dryer than the underlayer so but I'm not sure if it's wavier. Some times it is, at other times it's not. Though the trend is toward a straighter underlayer.

thankyousir74
September 28th, 2008, 02:08 PM
I'm pretty shore that they're both the same amount of wavy. They're both with in the 2c area.

julya
September 28th, 2008, 02:11 PM
I have little curly bits at my temples, but the rest is pretty straight.

xrosiex
September 28th, 2008, 05:02 PM
My canopy is alot straighter than my underlayer.

ClareDee
September 28th, 2008, 05:12 PM
Definitely a touch of Port Salut about both of them...:cheese:

I think they're almost the same level of waviness, but my hemline (underlayer) is more crazy than the canopy. It never sits down, despite my hair being generally straight. I'm sure it will eventually calm down when my hair is longer and heavier.

I had my hair cut into a bob style early this year, and the back was very short in comparison with the front. And now the back looks longer than the front. Is that normal? Or gorgonzola? I don't know.

FlyBabyTina
September 28th, 2008, 05:41 PM
My canopy is dry and crunchy and has more waves/s-curls than my silky smooth, slightly wavy underlayer.

Lady Jane
September 28th, 2008, 05:53 PM
My canopy is straighter than my underlayer. When I was a teen, I had lovely spiral curls all over - but still the canopy was less curly. Many pregnancies later, I have nearly straight on top and wavey, almost curl, underneath.

Arctic_Mama
September 29th, 2008, 02:07 AM
My canopy is much straighter and more smooth, mostly due to environmental exposure. But if I dry my hair in a halfup my underlayer is very noticeably curlier.

sexyjacksparrow
September 29th, 2008, 05:41 AM
My canopy is curlier than my underlayer.

rhubarbarin
September 29th, 2008, 07:51 AM
My hair is different in spots. The canopy is lighter than the underlayer, and wavy on the left side of my head, more curly on the right(2b and 2c). The underlayer is darker and curlier, and by my neck under my ears it's coarser and very curly (3a/3b curls). Then on the back of my neck I have a patch of blonde, silky, 1c hair, which makes it look like I have a very V hem since it's so much longer when my hair is dry. It also looks cool in updos, like I dyed a stripe up the back of my head.

Darkhorse1
September 29th, 2008, 08:37 AM
For me, my canopy is much wavier. The under layers are much straighter and glossier with very little breakage, damage. I can't say I notice a difference in the hair texture though.

Darkhorse1
September 29th, 2008, 08:40 AM
Phooey! I voted wrong! I was supposed to click canopy is wavier and I clicked canopy is straighter. DUH! Sorry about that!

Arctic
September 29th, 2008, 09:01 AM
I voted "My canopy is straighter than my underlayer". I used to have straight hair (1b I think) but after coming here on LHC my hair got wavy. Now my underlayer is 2b and canopy is 1c, I think. I recently changed my hairtype to 2a.

Haith
September 29th, 2008, 12:36 PM
My canopy and underlayer are the same, I think. I do have some really curly pieces around my face, but I attribute them to being shorter and finer.

Teakafrog
September 29th, 2008, 06:51 PM
Canopy is about 2b, underlayer is up to a 3b. LOTS of difference.

FrannyG
September 29th, 2008, 06:56 PM
I had to vote cheese. :gobblecheese: My hair is stick straight all over, but the canopy is far more stressed than the underlayers.

Finoriel
September 30th, 2008, 01:07 AM
My hair is stickstraight all over :shrug: no difference between canopy and underlayer.

Shanarana
September 30th, 2008, 04:05 AM
My under layer is curlier, or rather "kinkier" than my canopy. Kind of a pain, I just have to use more oil for the underneath to calm it down if I wear it loose.

Slug Yoga
September 30th, 2008, 05:03 AM
I've never noticed a difference between my canopy and my underlayer--if there is one, it's probably subtle.

kaorifun
September 30th, 2008, 10:04 AM
They're the same curliness, but the underlayer as well as some other parts are somewhat finer and softer than the canopy.

I voted "the same, but other bits are different."

Katze
October 1st, 2008, 04:41 AM
My underlayer is coarser and curlier than my canopy. If I had to type them, I'd be 2b/M on my nape/behind the ears/right side of my head hair, and 1b/1c /superF on the crown and hairline. My canopy also grows a lot faster than my nape hairs, which just seem to curl up.

Because of this drastic difference, I have to be very careful to wash my scalp/canopy thoroughly (shampoo, and with sulfates every few washes) but give LOTS of attention to leave-ins, misting, and occasional oil on the underlayer, especially the nape hairs.

It also compounds my problem with updos, as the nape hairs don't want to be contained, and frizz out in a weird and messy way even if I contain them with numerous bobby pins or mini claw clips.

Tabitha
October 1st, 2008, 05:53 AM
My underlayer (which has no layers) is 1b/1c, and my canopy (layered) is 2a/2b.

I'm like you but in reverse! Underlayer is *almost* curly, canopy is *almost* straight. It annoys me intensely! If I had all 1b hair I would encourage it to be straight, and if I had all 2b hair I would encourage it to curl. On bad days and the day of washing it just looks plain messy. I mostly get round it by taking up the canopy in a half-up to show the underneath.

Aisha25
November 11th, 2008, 07:40 PM
My top hairs are more wavy than the under ones those are more a straight and coarse but silky. Top is coarse and medium but more tangly like:dizzy:

Ryanne
November 11th, 2008, 11:32 PM
My canopy is curlier than my underlayer.

Koskaan
November 12th, 2008, 01:11 AM
My canopy is straighter than my underlayer. The underlayer has a distinctive wave patter whereas the canopy is just a little wavy. That's why I've classified myself as 1c/2a.

In addition my hair is a lot wavier towards the ends. If I airdry, the last 4 to 6 inches spiral loosely, so if my hair was APL or shorter now, I guess I would be a 2b. My hair used to be almost stick straight.

Monsterkitti
November 12th, 2008, 03:09 AM
My underlayer is more curly than the canopy

GlassEyes
November 15th, 2008, 12:48 PM
My underlayer is just as curly, but the hair is nicer.

Sunny
November 17th, 2008, 10:40 AM
My underlayer is smoother and straighter with a wave at the neck; the canopy is wavier and feels coarser and fuzzier.

after hours
November 19th, 2008, 01:50 PM
My canopy is straighter than my underlayer. My canopy is maybe 1B/1C and my underlayer is 1C/2A.

It gets wavier towards the bottom 5 inches or so too.

I had waist length hair 5 years ago that was straight, frizzy, and totally unhealthy. This time around, all these great waves are coming out as my hair get longer and healthier, I'm really happy about it. :)

sibilum
January 5th, 2009, 12:06 PM
My canopy is much curlier, has coarser and darker hair than my underlayer. Canopy is 2C and underlayer 1B.

Peter
January 5th, 2009, 12:29 PM
My underlayer is a bit curlier, and at the bottom of my neck I even get a few really curly strands, almost ringlets.

zen_oven
January 5th, 2009, 12:30 PM
My canopy is curlier than the underlayer. Once I even up my layers this may change--I only noticed this when I got layers.

JessTheMess
January 6th, 2009, 04:06 PM
My canopy and under layer are the same in waves, but my canopy is coarser and dryer that the under layer. :shrug:

Sissy
January 7th, 2009, 10:17 AM
I believe that my canopy and underlayer are the same.

Debra83
January 12th, 2009, 01:43 AM
My canopy is almost in the straight category (just a bit of wave), but it gets wavier toward the back and around the back of my neck, I have ringlet curls. One of my friends is the opposite; she has a wurly canopy and relatively straight under layers. We joke that if we could just borrow each other's canopy/under layers, we would have perfect hair texture instead of the in between nonsense.

beautiful sig pic. Looks like from a fairytale.

viking_quest
January 12th, 2009, 10:58 AM
My underlayer is 1a, while when I airdry and don't comb my canopy it's 2b/2c, but if I comb my canopy then it's 1b.

caribou55313
January 12th, 2009, 01:17 PM
My canopy is coarser than my underlayer but it's only because of the gray, I think!

kiwigeek
February 3rd, 2009, 03:41 AM
My underlayer is much darker than the canopy. It's kinda funny when I put my hair in a ponytail--the top half of my head is blonde, and the bottom half is brown, going into the scrunchy.

Midnightluna
February 10th, 2009, 01:52 AM
I find my underlayer always tangles much more than my canopy, I don't know why.:confused: But as far as a straight or curly difference, my hair is pretty much the same all over, quite straight.:poot:

Copasetic
February 10th, 2009, 09:05 AM
My canopy is was curlier than my underlayer. They are two different hair types. I am a 3a/b on top and maybe a 2b/c underneath.

RancheroTheBee
February 10th, 2009, 11:05 AM
My canopy is thick, curly and naturally dark blonde. The underlayer is straight, grows like a weed, is finer and is lighter the closer your get to the nape. As someone who colors their hair, I find the color difference pretty irritating.

dearladydisdain
February 10th, 2009, 03:01 PM
My canopy is a tiny bit wavy and my underlayer is totally straight. My underlayer is also much finer than my canopy.

Alu
February 16th, 2009, 09:55 PM
My under-layer is frizzy and curly (sometimes I see perfect "locks"!). The canopy is much more silky and slightly wavy.

Sydney
February 17th, 2009, 04:27 AM
my underlayer is slightly curlier

Zenity
November 2nd, 2010, 07:52 PM
I guess I am different from most of your hair-canopies...
My underlayer is silky and straight, totally fine, shiny and healthy... the canopy is frizzy, extremely fragile, dry, wavy and prone to breakage. It has been this way pretty much most of my long hair lifetime. It is okay under the touch test, but visually if it is air dry looks awful, unless I braid it or wear a bun.

I am going crazy trying to find a half updo that hides-protects the top layer of my hair as I am usually wearing a bun, but in winter time my neck needs the protection of my hair on my back.

Any suggestions will be appreciated.

LadyJennifer
November 3rd, 2010, 01:47 PM
My canopy is 2c/3a, and my underlayer is like 2a

mommyofatoz
November 3rd, 2010, 02:04 PM
I was just thinking the other day, I wish my hair looked how it does when I flip my head upside down. The curls are so defined and pretty, but when I am standing up right, my hair looks so fluffy, frizzy, lighter, and less curly. :(

growing2shine
November 10th, 2010, 12:30 PM
Both my canopy and underlayer are the same - very straight. But my nape hair likes to curl into a little cute spiral. It's quite weird because I don't even have a hint of a wave anywhere else, I can't hold a single curl. Thats why I wrote 1a/1b. :) Because of tiny curl. But I won't complain because I really like it.

gotzbrainz
November 10th, 2010, 12:37 PM
My canopy is straighter, but its way more damaged. If I dont put anything in it, coconut oil, after a shower, its so frizzy and dry.

enfys
November 10th, 2010, 01:01 PM
I would say they are the same. Straight.

The only difference is the underlayer gets more tangles but I'm sure that's a friction thing more than a type thing.

Jezerellica
November 11th, 2010, 01:16 AM
My canopy is straighter, but the underlayer is pure ringlets. It is hip length now. The difference is so surprising the longer it gets! I feel like I have a different head of hair the longer it grows!! I think I understand why when I was a kid my Mom harped on me to cut it. She thought it would be super curly all over. Nope it was so ....yuck.

emmabovary
November 13th, 2010, 09:10 AM
My underlayer is full of beautiful ringlets, but it doesn't do me much good since they can't be seen most of the time, hidden away underneath the dull, frizzy, wavy canopy. I guess that's one reason I love half-ups :)

jessie58
November 13th, 2010, 09:53 AM
I curse the different types of hair on my head. It's getting worse and worse this last year.

My underside is so clumpy and curly and smooth and beautiful. Possibly a 3b

My canopy is straight or only slightly wavy and it's incredibly frizzy. All the hairs separate and there is no clumping or joining up to the nice clumpy hair underneath, whatsoever. Probably a 1c/2a

Aveyronnaise
November 13th, 2010, 11:19 AM
I was just wondering if i was alone in this the other day my canopy is pretty straight while the underneath is pretty wavy curly, and has a tendency to get super tangled. The last time i had long hair it turned into beaver tails sometimes.

Kaijah
November 13th, 2010, 11:52 AM
My canopy is a bit curlier than my underlayer, but there's a bigger difference between random bits of my hair. As in, there are sections that get to be curlycurlycurly almost 3b, while another random patch on the back of my head is just wavy 2c all the time.

Domna H
May 29th, 2011, 07:57 AM
My canopy is straighter than my under-layer.

lyria
May 29th, 2011, 11:35 AM
My canopy is smoother than my under layer (which feels not curlier really, but more corse?). It drives me a little nuts and because of this disparity in texture I rarely wear half-ups.

BeamingBrunette
May 29th, 2011, 08:06 PM
Nope, my canopy and underlayer are exactly the same :)

Theobroma
May 31st, 2011, 06:47 AM
My canopy used to be different from the underlayer -- coarser and more frizzy -- but after about a year of CO washing and no heat, its texture has changed and now it's about the same as the underlayer. I suspect that much of the difference was down to blowdrying damage.

Knittycat
June 1st, 2011, 12:22 AM
half my head is wurly and the other half is wavy *and* my canopy is straighter than my underlayer. :rolleyes:

ashke50
June 1st, 2011, 12:50 AM
My canopy is more or less dead straight, but my underlayer is often wavy. Maybe if I am lucky the straight canopy will turn out to have been caused by damage due to wearing it down, and now that I am bunning it most of the time it will get wavier. We shall see.

Apriori
June 1st, 2011, 02:27 AM
There's no difference between my canopy and my underlayer, they are both stick straight.