View Full Version : Henna Addict

Kome
December 28th, 2014, 04:02 AM
Just put henna on all of my hair except for my bangs. First time in a year and two months (I had labeled the batch) that I've henna'd. I feel like an addict that went back to her drug. It felt so calming and spiritual to henna my hair again. Maybe that sounds weird, but even though I am tired of the color, I missed the actual process of dying my hair with it.

Kome
December 28th, 2014, 04:07 AM
To be clear... October 2013 was the last time I henna'd and I cut all of my hair off in March of 2014 and literally.... dyed it all GREEN. Hah. It's been many colors since then, but I recently dyed it all dark brown, except for the bangs, to start growing it back out and stop dying it and damaging it. But the brown is fading and not looking too hot so I figured instead of damaging it more I would just go back to hennaing. I am a bit tired of the color though. I have a love/hate relationship with henna at the moment, but just the process of doing it again made me feel so connected to something. Does anybody else feel this way? Maybe it's the cocaine they put in the powder. JUUUUUUUUUST kidding. Haha.

Eruwaedhiel
December 28th, 2014, 04:41 AM
I have been hennaing my hair, and I don't want to stop, although I know I need to or I'll push past my desired color. I do feel like there is something I love just about the process of doing it, hennaing night is a special night for me. There's always excitement in waiting to see what results I get, the transformation feels almost magical. Fortunately, I get the same special feeling when using it for body art, and I can do that as much as I want after I switch to just maintaining my roots. :)

Rosetta
December 28th, 2014, 07:32 AM
Maybe that sounds weird, but even though I am tired of the color, I missed the actual process of dying my hair with it.

There's always excitement in waiting to see what results I get, the transformation feels almost magical.
It's the same for me, too ;) Even though I'm now growing out my natural colour, and prefer to keep that, I still miss the hennaing process and that magical transformation...

Nimia
December 28th, 2014, 07:48 AM
We primates do soothe ourselves and each other with grooming, so it doesn't surprise me that a henna evening can be so pleasant. For me, a big difference between the henna and a box dye is that I don't have any fear of the henna: I know it won't hurt me and will only do good things, with predictable color results. I like the all-day planning it requires to get it mixed up and dye-released, to have my husband available to apply it (which is fun as we pretend to be stylist and client, and he's gotten much faster at it), to have time to let it sit, to have a book to read or movie to watch while it does, and then the block of time in tub and shower to rinse it all out. It's almost meditative. :)

LadyCelestina
December 28th, 2014, 08:05 AM
Gaah I hope this thread doesn't pop up too often when I'm online :) I stopped dyes a long time ago,but still get dye cravings : did henna streaks and a couple faint glosses this year.I have since decided to stop them completely since some parts of my hair look dyed instead of just a boost of natural red,which I was going for.Slowly the last bits of it fade away,but everytime a thread like this or the show us your hennaed hair comes up,I feel like dumping a whole box on my head and having flaming hair again!

Kome
December 28th, 2014, 10:12 AM
^^^^^ Yes, but henna isn't a bad dye. It's a deep conditioner and flamming red hair is beautiful! *enabler*

Rosetta
December 28th, 2014, 10:19 AM
^ Yes, but it's so d**n permanent!!! ;) You just can't get rid of it... That's what makes it so devilish :twisted:

(And as for conditioning, there have been some threads about how long-term use is actually not good for your hair... Hmm, I guess the jury's still out on that.)

Kome
December 28th, 2014, 11:16 AM
I've only had a problem with henna ONCE and that was when I terped it and then put it in the freezer for a couple of months. It dried out my hair super bad. It was awful. I guess you don't terp henna that is going on your head. Lesson learned! And I've also bleached out henna, but it never comes completely out. It just lightens a few levels. I went from dark burgandy to orange by bleaching twice, but I fried my hair doing it. I wanted to go green.

Anyways, that was back in March. Now I am rehenna'd and ready to grow my hair back out. Overall I feel like henna kinda dries my hair out so I have to condition it out and then condition it before getting out of the shower when rinsing it out. They say it's a deep conditioner, but I'd question that as well. It definitely makes your hair flatter though, in my experience.

Achlys
December 28th, 2014, 12:00 PM
For me, a big difference between the henna and a box dye is that I don't have any fear of the henna: I know it won't hurt me and will only do good things, with predictable color results.

LHC -- the place where henna results are predictable and box dyes are not. :lol:

meteor
December 28th, 2014, 07:14 PM
I stopped dyes a long time ago,but still get dye cravings : did henna streaks and a couple faint glosses this year.

You did henna streaks? Wow, that's really interesting, I've been considering henna high/lowlights but it's really hard to find any information online about the process and the effect on hair... How did it go? :) Did you do it like foil highlights? Can you please tell us about your impressions, pretty please?

hennalonghair
December 28th, 2014, 11:18 PM
We primates do soothe ourselves and each other with grooming, so it doesn't surprise me that a henna evening can be so pleasant. For me, a big difference between the henna and a box dye is that I don't have any fear of the henna: I know it won't hurt me and will only do good things, with predictable color results. I like the all-day planning it requires to get it mixed up and dye-released, to have my husband available to apply it (which is fun as we pretend to be stylist and client, and he's gotten much faster at it), to have time to let it sit, to have a book to read or movie to watch while it does, and then the block of time in tub and shower to rinse it all out. It's almost meditative. :)
This was so nicely written. I agree. Grooming is a bit part of our culture and taking care of ourself can be very soothing and it should be. Its like a sacred ritual. I'm so there with you.

Gaah I hope this thread doesn't pop up too often when I'm online :) I stopped dyes a long time ago,but still get dye cravings : did henna streaks and a couple faint glosses this year.I have since decided to stop them completely since some parts of my hair look dyed instead of just a boost of natural red,which I was going for.Slowly the last bits of it fade away,but everytime a thread like this or the show us your hennaed hair comes up,I feel like dumping a whole box on my head and having flaming hair again!
I know. I'm trying to grow in my greys but I can't stay away from all the henna threads. Lol. I've been doing henna treatments for 35 years now so I think I'm the biggest addict here.
I'm going through withdrawals already :rollin:

^ Yes, but it's so d**n permanent!!! ;) You just can't get rid of it... That's what makes it so devilish :twisted:

(And as for conditioning, there have been some threads about how long-term use is actually not good for your hair... Hmm, I guess the jury's still out on that.)
Yes it's permement but long term damage? I don't think henna is the least bit damaging, so its certainly debatable.

You did henna streaks? Wow, that's really interesting, I've been considering henna high/lowlights but it's really hard to find any information online about the process and the effect on hair... How did it go? :) Did you do it like foil highlights? Can you please tell us about your impressions, pretty please?

Yes I too have thought a lot about this. I'd still like to grow in my greys but might just have to have a streak or two just to pull the two colours together.
That's my excuse anyway :lol:

cole
December 29th, 2014, 12:59 AM
You skipped the henna on your bangs? What a neat idea! Is it so you can play around with temporary hair colors still? I miss dying my hair all sorts of shades to fit my mood. I think that'd be a fun, easy fix for it... 'course, I was also working on growing my bangs out. ;)

Rosetta
December 29th, 2014, 01:03 AM
Yes it's permement but long term damage? I don't think henna is the least bit damaging, so its certainly debatable.
Well, in the henna regrets thread its effect on hair was compared to bleach damage... It sounds a bit strange to me, but they had pictures to compare and prove it.

Eruwaedhiel
December 29th, 2014, 01:18 AM
Well, in the henna regrets thread its effect on hair was compared to bleach damage... It sounds a bit strange to me, but they had pictures to compare and prove it. I know henna is said to have similar effects to protein in hair, and too many protein treatments can make hair dry and brittle, so maybe if you use a lot of henna but don't keep it balanced with enough moisture in your hair, that might be one possible cause of damage?

Rosetta
December 29th, 2014, 03:07 AM
^ Maybe, but there were several other reasons given too; here's the thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126560 :)

hennalonghair
December 29th, 2014, 05:37 AM
^ Maybe, but there were several other reasons given too; here's the thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=126560 :)

Oh Im aware there is a "I hate Henna " thread here and I don't personally get a **** what others have to say. There's people here than think that brushing or combing hair is damaging also. Like I said already , its debatable but I do not have the intention of trying to convince you or anyone else otherwise. Everyone has a right to their own personal opinion even if they're wrong. :rollin: lol

hennalonghair
December 29th, 2014, 05:54 AM
Well, in the henna regrets thread its effect on hair was compared to bleach damage... It sounds a bit strange to me, but they had pictures to compare and prove it.

Compared it to bleach damage????
SHUT UP?.. ... :agape: :spam: :horse: :shake: :disbelief: :suspect: :silly:

:bull::brainbleach::rollin:

lapushka
December 29th, 2014, 06:16 AM
SHUT UP?

Yes, my hair got very dry and "catchy" after henna, and I could in fact compare it to the effect bleach had on my hair, it dried it out completely, like it needed moisture. Roughened up cuticles-feeling.

I would compare it to bleach damage as well, but then everyone's mileage varies, right? ;)

Rosetta
December 29th, 2014, 06:40 AM
SHUT UP?.. ... :agape: :spam: :horse: :shake: :disbelief: :suspect: :silly:

:bull::brainbleach::rollin:
Hmm, that was a "slight" overreaction... And it's not very nice to tell me to "shut up", as I wasn't the one suggesting this theory in the first place, just reporting what was said in that thread, so it would be best to post your objections there instead...

hennalonghair
December 29th, 2014, 07:01 AM
Hmm, that was a "slight" overreaction... And it's not very nice to tell me to "shut up", as I wasn't the one suggesting this theory in the first place, just reporting what was said in that thread, so it would be best to post your objections there instead...

Rosetta , the 'shut up' comment was merely using modern lingo, in the same way as 'no way.'
It most certainly was not intended literally speaking.
Like I said before I have zero interest in debating the issue . People most certainly have EVERY right to their own opinion. My suggestion that it was 'wrong' was HUMOUR which I thought was obvious but for those who thought otherwise I will clarify it. I was joking !

Because of my name hennalonghair I get many PM's from people inquiring about henna. I attract many henna lovers. Unfortunately I also attract many henna haters and I most certainly have no desire to take on a whole clan of henna haters.
Perhaps the "I hate henna" thread would be more suitable to vent out your henna frustrations than this one cause I refuse to get into a conflict or debate about it.

I won't be posting in this thread any longer :magic:

Achlys
December 29th, 2014, 08:31 AM
Well, leaving henna on your hair for several hours can eventually cause hygral fatigue. Rinsing the mud out, I imagine, is somewhat abrasive to the hair surface. My hair does feel a bit weak after being wet for so long, but I'm still sure it's less damaging than box dyes. Some deposit dyes could probably be less damaging. I've tried some, but I like how henna makes shiny hair look more dramatically shiny, since it's so different in light and shade.

Caraid♫
December 29th, 2014, 08:44 AM

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuD09qy76xM
sorry for posting this, but this reminded me too much of one of my favourite scenes from princess diaries! (I just love Julie Andrews :crush: )

Anyways, as for the thread topic- I totally find henna addictive! I was all set to stop a few months ago, but went straight back to it the minute I had roots coming in! Sometimes I get tired of the mess, but for the most part, I love the ritual, and I'm also addicted to the colour!

Kome
December 29th, 2014, 06:49 PM
Here is my henna'd hair... it was already so dark, so the red only shows in the sun really. Excited to do a few more applications to get it darker though. It think it looks really uneven and ugly at the moment. I don't really like my hair short and the sunlight really shows all the damage in my hair.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/IMG_3946_zps0fd795db.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/kome42/media/IMG_3946_zps0fd795db.jpg.html)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/IMG_3944_zpsed9e338c.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/kome42/media/IMG_3944_zpsed9e338c.jpg.html)

Kome
December 29th, 2014, 06:59 PM
You skipped the henna on your bangs? What a neat idea! Is it so you can play around with temporary hair colors still? I miss dying my hair all sorts of shades to fit my mood. I think that'd be a fun, easy fix for it... 'course, I was also working on growing my bangs out. ;)

Yes... I like to be able to change the coloring on my bangs still. I let myself do whatever I want with my bangs and try and keep the rest of my hair healthy... well... until last March when I bleached it all and cut it all off! Starting over now though and doing the same concept again. :)

Kome
December 29th, 2014, 07:03 PM
And as far as henna being as damaging as bleach.... I had that reaction ONCE and it was because I had used Lavender oil to terp the henna and then put it in the freezer for a few months. This really dryed out my hair so bad it felt like I'd bleached it. It'd blame the essential oil though and not the henna as Lavender oil is specifically used on greasier hair and mine is already quite dry.

hennalonghair
December 29th, 2014, 07:42 PM
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EuD09qy76xM
sorry for posting this, but this reminded me too much of one of my favourite scenes from princess diaries! (I just love Julie Andrews :crush: )

Anyways, as for the thread topic- I totally find henna addictive! I was all set to stop a few months ago, but went straight back to it the minute I had roots coming in! Sometimes I get tired of the mess, but for the most part, I love the ritual, and I'm also addicted to the colour!
I know I said I wasn't going to post back in this thread again but this is priceless. :rollin: and soooo appropriate. Hilariously funny. That movie was awesome. They couldn't have matched Julie Andrews with another leading actress better than they did and Julie's role was a far cry from the 'Sound of Music.' -another great role but completely differently. Talk about versatility.

Here is my henna'd hair... it was already so dark, so the red only shows in the sun really. Excited to do a few more applications to get it darker though. It think it looks really uneven and ugly at the moment. I don't really like my hair short and the sunlight really shows all the damage in my hair.

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/IMG_3946_zps0fd795db.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/kome42/media/IMG_3946_zps0fd795db.jpg.html)

http://i277.photobucket.com/albums/kk68/kome42/IMG_3944_zpsed9e338c.jpg (http://s277.photobucket.com/user/kome42/media/IMG_3944_zpsed9e338c.jpg.html)
I LOVE the colour you have on your bangs. I am currently growing in my greys but am still planning on colouring my bangs the same way. That's awesome:thumbsup:

Yes... I like to be able to change the coloring on my bangs still. I let myself do whatever I want with my bangs and try and keep the rest of my hair healthy... well... until last March when I bleached it all and cut it all off! Starting over now though and doing the same concept again. :)

And as far as henna being as damaging as bleach.... I had that reaction ONCE and it was because I had used Lavender oil to terp the henna and then put it in the freezer for a few months. This really dryed out my hair so bad it felt like I'd bleached it. It'd blame the essential oil though and not the henna as Lavender oil is specifically used on greasier hair and mine is already quite dry.
Oh no doubt I've had experiments that have had terrible results myself including adding lemon juice when I didn't know any better, or adding too much tea tree oil. Even the fact that henna is a heavy gritty substance sitting on the hair can in fact cause some mechanical damage, for sure, but I don't think I could ever ever compare any of my henna treatments to bleach.
Not that I wanna open up that can of worms again :doh:

Great pics Kome and thanks for sharing :thumbsup:

Caraid♫
December 29th, 2014, 11:10 PM

The pink bangs look awesome with your burgundy-ish henna! It doesn't look uneven to me in these pics, but I think going darker will look nice too!

I know I said I wasn't going to post back in this thread again but this is priceless. :rollin: and soooo appropriate. Hilariously funny. That movie was awesome. They couldn't have matched Julie Andrews with another leading actress better than they did and Julie's role was a far cry from the 'Sound of Music.' -another great role but completely differently. Talk about versatility.

I agree completely- Julie Andrews and Anne Hathaway were perfect together in this movie!

maborosi
December 30th, 2014, 12:27 AM
I'm full-blown in love with hennaing my hair. Not just the color I get from it, but the whole process. It's very relaxing. I live in a world of constant stress and worry and anxiety and getting to play with my hair is so nice.

I henna gloss on the roots-only every week- my percentage is like 20% henna and the rest cassia, mixed with conditioner. I get a very nice red from it. I'm careful not to let it touch the length because I don't want too much of a color buildup.

this is a picture of what it looks like (http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah14/happyhairdays/haircolor2014_11_2_zps6ca9922a.jpg)

Rosetta
December 30th, 2014, 05:18 AM
Rosetta , the 'shut up' comment was merely using modern lingo, in the same way as 'no way.'
It most certainly was not intended literally speaking.
Like I said before I have zero interest in debating the issue . People most certainly have EVERY right to their own opinion. My suggestion that it was 'wrong' was HUMOUR which I thought was obvious but for those who thought otherwise I will clarify it. I was joking !
Ok, I'm glad to hear it wasn't meant as rudely as it sounded... (Perhaps there was also a cultural difference at issue here...)

Perhaps the "I hate henna" thread would be more suitable to vent out your henna frustrations than this one cause I refuse to get into a conflict or debate about it.

...But this again is quite rude - where an earth did you get the idea that I would be a "henna hater", or have any frustrations about henna..?? No way, quite contrary... As I've clearly said. But if you want to jump into wrong conclusions, then I can't help it... :shrug: And definitely don't want to get into a debate with someone who does that.

But others, please get on with discussing henna addiction :D

hennalonghair
December 30th, 2014, 05:32 AM
Ok, I'm glad to hear it wasn't meant as rudely as it sounded... (Perhaps there was also a cultural difference at issue here...)

...But this again is quite rude - where an earth did you get the idea that I would be a "henna hater", or have any frustrations about henna..?? No way, quite contrary... As I've clearly said. But if you want to jump into wrong conclusions, then I can't help it... :shrug: And definitely don't want to get into a debate with someone who does that.

But others, please get on with discussing henna addiction :D

Rosetta. Could you PLEASE just STOP!:brickwall

Ambrielle
December 30th, 2014, 08:43 AM

very pretty :) and i love your bangs, you're making me miss my undercut/half shaved head days, i used to bleach and dye it pink, purple, green lol

Kome
December 30th, 2014, 04:43 PM
@Ambrielle... that's why I just do the bangs most of the time. It's why I'm getting back into hennaing, so I don't damage the rest of my hair. But I AM growing out sidecuts. It looks kinda fun, but it's less obvious with it all dyed the same.

Kome
December 30th, 2014, 04:44 PM
My mom is apparently addicted to me hennaing because she's always saying how nice henna'd hair looks on me and it was her favorite color that I did. So when I henna'd my hair the other night with the leftover henna in the freezer and asked about getting more.... she ordered it for me right away. LOL. I guess she's addicted as well!

meteor
December 30th, 2014, 06:23 PM
Rosetta. Could you PLEASE just STOP!:brickwall

Hey, hey, let's be nice to each other! :grouphug:
Rosetta didn't post anything to be picked on like that. :flower: If anything, she was being very helpful, respectfully pointing out to the multitude of reactions/experiences with henna. We can certainly discuss everything in a peaceful and friendly way. :love:

mariechin1234
December 30th, 2014, 06:42 PM
People are often discouraged to find that many products used for dyeing hair, fabrics, and skin contain harsh chemicals. Henna dyes, which are natural and made from the leaves of the henna plant, are less likely to harm the hair and skin. In fact, many experts assert that henna helps moisturize the hair and make it stronger. Some people also appreciate the fact that henna allows them to change their hair color or get a tattoo without committing to these changes forever.

lunaheretic
December 30th, 2014, 08:21 PM
Can I post here as a recovering henna addict? I'm naturally a dark blond and am trying to get over my henna addiction. I've tried to give her up several times only to go back into her red arms. My roots are now about 3" long and I'm weaning myself off my henna addiction (I did too many full head applications and it kept getting darker and darker red, though oh-so glorious in sunlight) by touching up the roots with Manic Panic. I'm wondering if I can do a reverse ombre, as I did a full MP application today and it darkened the henna a bit (I'm sure very temporarily). Considering using black MP or black LUSH henna on the ends. Good idea/bad idea? Which would last longer or create a better effect? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

hennalonghair
December 30th, 2014, 09:47 PM
Hey, hey, let's be nice to each other! :grouphug:
Rosetta didn't post anything to be picked on like that. :flower: If anything, she was being very helpful, respectfully pointing out to the multitude of reactions/experiences with henna. We can certainly discuss everything in a peaceful and friendly way. :love:
Meteor,*
I admit my sense of communication can be a little over the top. The way that I expressed my shock that henna was being compared to bleach most certainly could have been presented in a better way. No doubt. I'll accept that.*
The shut up comment wasnt meant literally which I explained. Clearly there was a communication break down because I was first told to go post in another thread and was told twice now three times that I am being rude.*
I 'thought ' the matter was resolved but clearly it isn't.
I apologize to everyone for being so rude and will refrain from expressing myself in the future. It appears I'm rubbing a lot of people the wrong way.
Yeah I guess I am obnoxious!
I'm a goof.

texangrrl
December 31st, 2014, 08:28 AM
I'm full-blown in love with hennaing my hair. Not just the color I get from it, but the whole process. It's very relaxing. I live in a world of constant stress and worry and anxiety and getting to play with my hair is so nice.

I henna gloss on the roots-only every week- my percentage is like 20% henna and the rest cassia, mixed with conditioner. I get a very nice red from it. I'm careful not to let it touch the length because I don't want too much of a color buildup.

this is a picture of what it looks like (http://i1376.photobucket.com/albums/ah14/happyhairdays/haircolor2014_11_2_zps6ca9922a.jpg)

I think I remember seeing this picture in another thread, but I just want to say again that I'm in love with your hair color!! :flowers:

Ambrielle
December 31st, 2014, 09:12 AM
Can I post here as a recovering henna addict? I'm naturally a dark blond and am trying to get over my henna addiction. I've tried to give her up several times only to go back into her red arms. My roots are now about 3" long and I'm weaning myself off my henna addiction (I did too many full head applications and it kept getting darker and darker red, though oh-so glorious in sunlight) by touching up the roots with Manic Panic. I'm wondering if I can do a reverse ombre, as I did a full MP application today and it darkened the henna a bit (I'm sure very temporarily). Considering using black MP or black LUSH henna on the ends. Good idea/bad idea? Which would last longer or create a better effect? Any thoughts? Thanks in advance!

welcome :waving:

have you ever used lush henna before? My experience with their henna in respects to color staining power is not great. It left my hair conditioned (probably because of all the added oils they put in their henna) but i didn't get good coverage and it did nothing to my greys. I used caca noir which has the highest content of indigo. Don't let my experience put you off though, there are people who get great color coverage with them :). If the black by MP is green based i'd imagine using that on the red ends would eventually fade to a brownish. I guess it depends on a few factors and priorities. Would you be willing to trim your ends if you were not happy with the color result or got bored with it along the way? Indigo seems to be permanent for some people ( it washes out quickly from my hair, i have tried several brands). Manic panic might be less permanent and equally conditioning without the strengthening benefits that henna gives.

lunaheretic
December 31st, 2014, 09:39 AM
Hi Ambrielle!
I'm still learning the subtleties of henna, cassia and indigo. I take it black henna is henna with indigo? I'm willing to trim the black out if it sticks, I was going to go for a cut for my fine hair when my dark blond roots grow in to cut all the henna out anyway. I'm considering keeping the henna red and touching up with MP at the roots until it grows out, because of the enabling influence of this forum for growing long hair. :p
I had great results with LUSH henna, but I did over a dozen full head applications. I lost count, honestly, but I've been doing it for years.

This photo is from about 10 months ago--no Manic Panic. I started using Henne Colour Acajou because it was available at my local health food store and easier to apply, but the colour was obtained from LUSH henna alone, just darkened with Acajou I'm going to go for the black henna today over the standard red henna ends if I can find some. I love henna red and what it does to my hair but too many full head applications made it just too dark for my tastes. I've tried natural lifting with no success--my hair is so babyfine that it just soaked it up.
http://i59.tinypic.com/9funvp.jpg

texangrrl
December 31st, 2014, 09:44 AM
Hi Ambrielle!
I'm still learning the subtleties of henna, cassia and indigo. I take it black henna is henna with indigo? I'm willing to trim the black out if it sticks, I was going to go for a cut for my fine hair when my dark blond roots grow in to cut all the henna out anyway. I'm considering keeping the henna red and touching up with MP at the roots until it grows out, because of the enabling influence of this forum for growing long hair. :p
I had great results with LUSH henna, but I did over a dozen full head applications. I lost count, honestly, but I've been doing it for years.

This photo is from about 10 months ago--no Manic Panic. I started using Henne Colour Acajou because it was available at my local health food store and easier to apply, but the colour was obtained from LUSH henna alone, just darkened with Acajou I'm going to go for the black henna today over the standard red henna ends if I can find some. I love henna red and what it does to my hair but too many full head applications made it just too dark for my tastes. I've tried natural lifting with no success--my hair is so babyfine that it just soaked it up.

Oh, wow!! I love that color on you!! What was your starting base color?

texangrrl
December 31st, 2014, 09:45 AM
Duplicate post

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 09:55 AM
Hennalonghair :heartbeat please don't feel bad at all. :love: I really love your posts and your keep-it-real approach, and I'm sure others do too. :flowers: I just felt like Rosetta got picked on for nothing, and I'm really sorry if I got it all wrong. :doh:

I think Ambrielle gave some awesome advice, and I believe we've had multiple MP over henna threads around the LHC, but, strangely, I can't find them via search... :oops:

Also, if you want to grow out henna back to your natural blond, I would think that things that help the most should help you break up the demarcation line, not so much darken your ends even further (as black MP would probably do), or else you risk getting a more contrasted look... :hmm:
Wouldn't Red MP over your roots help blend with henna until you keep growing those roots out and let MP fade?
I hope more folks will weigh in, and I certainly recommend different patch-tests to check it before you commit. :)

I think I remember seeing this picture in another thread, but I just want to say again that I'm in love with your hair color!!

:agree: Oh yes, I absolutely agree. Maborosi, I just saw your hennaed hair and it's AMAZING! What a great henna story! :applause

Ambrielle
December 31st, 2014, 09:57 AM
Hi Ambrielle!

very beautiful colour lunaheretic! Yes, that is the thing with henna, layering leads to build up of color, it's actuallyt what i want to achieve on my greys, can't stand the warmer coppery hues i get close to the roots, they don't compliment my skin/eyes :D

just to be clear, i am assuming by black henna you mean the caca noir lush bars? there are sources who sell "black henna" that is not the real pure stuff because there is no such thing as natural black henna other than the PPD stuff or pure indigo leaf but if you don't mind using products with PPD nevermind what i just wrote :flower:, i have used indigo, the pure green powder. The caca noir has henna and indigo, if i am correct it is a 50/50 ratio whereas the brown bars had a 70/20 ratio (henna to indigo).

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 10:00 AM
Oh, I just saw your picture, lunaheretic. That's such a gorgeous henna color! :D
I wonder if Vampire Red Manic Panic could sort of match it and help you blend in demarcation when you grow henna out, depending, of course, on the color of your roots (I can't see them).
This ongoing thread about vampire red over henna might be of help: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=91576

lunaheretic
December 31st, 2014, 10:15 AM
Thanks for the response, meteor. I just posted my roots in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17602&page=5&p=2907698&viewfull=1#post2907698
I think the vampire red would match this shade of henna rather well, as long as I do a super long MP application, which I always do. I'd have to update it very regularly, but I don't mind too much. What I minded is weird, ugly blond roots! Dark roots look normal, my ashy roots to me looked grey or even greenish in comparison to the strong henna red. What do you think? To vampire or not to vampire? :)

lunaheretic
December 31st, 2014, 10:17 AM
Thank you Ambrielle! I'm going to look into PPDs and see if it's something I want to risk or not.

lunaheretic
December 31st, 2014, 10:22 AM
Woah, PPDs sound scary as hell. I think I'll stick with black manic panic to try out black ends and wait for the LUSH noir bar to come in the mail. Patience is a virtue, right?:blossom:

Ambrielle
December 31st, 2014, 10:22 AM
i'd go with vampire red :thumbsup: i love that shade of red best out of all veggie red dyes i have seen, how long would you say it lasts on your hair before it begins to fade considerably? and how long do you leave it on? I have half a bottle still, i may use it to tone down the orange/coppery glow from henna.

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 10:39 AM
Thanks for the response, meteor. I just posted my roots in this thread: http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=17602&page=5&p=2907698&viewfull=1#post2907698
I think the vampire red would match this shade of henna rather well, as long as I do a super long MP application, which I always do. I'd have to update it very regularly, but I don't mind too much. What I minded is weird, ugly blond roots! Dark roots look normal, my ashy roots to me looked grey or even greenish in comparison to the strong henna red. What do you think? To vampire or not to vampire? :)

Your natural hair color is beautiful! :D Yep, I'd use vampire red MP for a while on roots only, until you are comfortable with the length of your "ombe" roots and then just let it fade. The less you wash your hair and expose it to UV lights, the slower it should fade. I think this is the least damaging way of covering roots.

lunaheretic
December 31st, 2014, 04:16 PM
Thanks meteor! I hated it for a long time because I thought it made me look mousy and washed out. I've come to miss it though, and I want to experience my natural colour as an adult, before I start getting greys! Plenty of time to have fun with henna once I start going rather grey.

I have a question. I couldn't resist picking up this "henne colour" from the health food store. It's black and claims it washes out in 4-5 shampoos. What kind of henna does that? I took a picture of the box and ingredients, and I'm doing a strand test. I'm guessing it's more of a veggie colour like MP, since I don't see indigo on the ingredients list. Does anyone see anything I should beware of, when mixing this with Manic Panic or my old henna? Just looking to do the tips that I was going to cut anyway. I will report on my stand test regardless. I don't see PPD's on the ingredients list but I'm not a chemist I have no clue about all the other ingredients. What the hell is wash-out henna though?

I want to do the vampire red and make it match, but I'm enthusiastic about having a little fun with my hair in non-permanent way in the meantime, this growing process is going to be very, very long, and I've been this dark red so long, I'm getting rather tired of it.

http://i58.tinypic.com/wt7v9f.jpg

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 04:38 PM
^ Interesting! Looking at the ingredients, I'd think that it's some sort of conditioner with coloring effect, but I certainly wouldn't know if their claim that the red will wash off is true or not.

Henna extract is at #5 after water... I know that there are many commercial products with henna extracts to enhance red hair or red highlights, and those aren't supposed to be permanent, but I don't know if I would trust that claim 100%. A lot depends on how porous the hair is and if it's previously chemically treated...

What's the name of this product? :)

Personally, I did use an Indian oil with a bit of henna (it was listed at #7) and the red flares I think I got from it disappeared after some time, but I don't know if others would get the same effect. :shrug:
Just remember that henna is very permanent even at small concentrations, that's why henna glosses (henna + conditioner) usually really last.

lunaheretic
December 31st, 2014, 05:19 PM
^This one is black--want to do reverse ombre with black on the last few inches. If it doesn't wash out it won't be the end of the world for me, I think I'll start with only a couple of inches so if I need to trim it won't be too big a shock. At least it's not too nasty and won't ruin my hair. I looked up the ingredients in Manic Panic, a veggie-based conditioner I hear, and they were quite similar to this, minus the henna. My hair is not very porous I don't think, it's super silky and fine, it absorbed henna like crazy and I wonder if that sort of sealed it further. Any chemical treating has grown out by now. :)
Here's an image of the product. Thanks for the input, really appreciated :)
http://i57.tinypic.com/2w7pzfd.jpg

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 05:33 PM
^ This picture looks very familiar, I think I've seen this product in some health stores. :) Maybe some LHC-ers have had experiences with it! I hope they'll see your post, or you can ask in an additional thread.
And, as always, it's definitely a good idea to patch-test and give it good time to oxidize a bit before you commit. :)

lunaheretic
January 1st, 2015, 07:55 PM
Oh, wow!! I love that color on you!! What was your starting base color?
Sorry, texangrrl, I missed your post because of my big ol' picture! My base colour was dark blond, so I guess that's why it took so well. Henna is great stuff, I enjoyed our love affair while it lasted. It was great to my tender, fragile locks and it was such a relief to have a red that didn't fade to brown. We're going to have a long, strained separation as it grows it.