PDA

View Full Version : How often do you clarify and do deep treatments?

divinedobbie
December 27th, 2014, 11:55 PM
Just curious how often other longhairs clarify their hair and do deep treatments (including SMT's, other moisture, protein treatments, etc).

morrigan*
December 28th, 2014, 01:40 AM
i clarify when my hair get tangly, sometimes i need to do two in a row

sarahthegemini
December 28th, 2014, 02:41 AM
I co-wash and probably shampoo once every 4-5 months. I never do deep treatments.

Begemot
December 28th, 2014, 02:45 AM
I will clarify every time after using hair styling products like styling wax or hair spray. I'll clarify maybe twice a month otherwise.
I would like to do deep treatments weekly but usually I manage to do SMT twice a month. I'm getting lazy with treatments.

vega
December 28th, 2014, 03:22 AM
I clarify every three days if not it's a tangled mess

Halliday
December 28th, 2014, 03:28 AM
I clarify like once every 5 months maybe... I don't use cones, gel, sls, sles, wax, hair putty, hairspray or anything like that - so I don't really get buildup. I use a sulfate filled shampoo like Pantene Original to clarify. I don't do deep treatments these days.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 28th, 2014, 03:28 AM
I clarify and do a deep treatment about once a month or when I remember to:)

divinedobbie
December 28th, 2014, 12:08 PM
Interesting how varied the answers are:)

I used to do deep treatments about once or twice monthly and clarify hardly ever. Now a days I practice benign neglect and do neither, maybe clarify once a mont, usually before my length picture if I remember.

meteor
December 28th, 2014, 12:27 PM
I clarify and do a deep treatment about once a month or when I remember to:)

Same here! :)

Beborani
December 28th, 2014, 12:36 PM
Both never. But my hair is always in conditioner or oil as I cowash and then leave in condiitoners (So permanent deep treatment). I oil prewash and as needed.

AmethystLily
December 28th, 2014, 01:16 PM
I clarify once weekly. I don't do deep treatments often. I just wash and seal while damp. I have found that my hair feels softer when I DON'T use a rinse-out conditioner after shampooing. Instead, I skip straight to the oil formula. Odd, huh?

MsPharaohMoan
December 28th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Clarify once a month, but this just means using my regular sulphate free shampoo on my length. DC whenever I need a color refresh (I mix the two).

Nadine <3
December 28th, 2014, 01:31 PM
I try to do a deep treatment weekly, protein treatment once a month, and clarify once a month. I'm hoping to simplify my routine once I get rid of all my damaged layers, but those stupid things need all the babying they can get.

pearlsandpinups
December 28th, 2014, 01:42 PM
I do a deep treatment once weekly, and I rarely if ever clarify. - I use cones but I've never seemed to have a problem with build up, I'm guessing because I use a regular SLS shampoo that seems to do a fine job stripping the products out of my hair.

Siiri
December 28th, 2014, 03:14 PM
I do deep treatments once a week. Lately I haven't been clarifying with a clarifying shampoo at all because I use shampoo that seems to clarify enough. I don't use silicones, but there are other ingredients that build up in my conditioners and I use some styling products as well. The shampoo I use is sls-free but contains disodium laureth sulfosuccinate which is quite cleansing. I'd use a stronger shampoo to clarify if my hair turned waxy or coated suddenly after using my regular shampoo.

lapushka
December 28th, 2014, 04:26 PM
My hair is weekly-washed and weekly clarified, and gets double conditioned and the LOC method thrown at it weekly as well. :)

mariechin1234
December 28th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Your hair looks shinny. I like it :D I treat my hear once a week with argan oil and keratin.

Johannah
December 29th, 2014, 09:02 AM
I use SLS-shampoo (only on my scalp) so I don't need clarifying much. I'm starting with overnight oiling now because of the weather. Let's say weekly, sometimes more sometimes less.

catasa
December 29th, 2014, 09:29 AM
I clarify about twice a month, but I am considering doing it more often since my hair is usually much nicer after clarifying. It seems to acquire buildup very, very easily :( even though I never use silicones and also donīt have well water anymore... ETA: otherwise I wash my hair every second day with diluted shampoo, most often SLS-free.

I almost never do deep treatments, my hair does not seem to like them. The only thing that sometimes work is to bag my hair overnight either with a small amount of conditioner or just wetted down with water - sometimes it is nicer afterwards, sometimes just frizzy and unhappy...

embee
December 29th, 2014, 09:30 AM
I've never done either deep treatment or clarify.

Anje
December 29th, 2014, 10:02 AM
I put my sulfate shampoo on my length every few weeks, I think, which is likely more often than necessary. That's a mini-clarifying in my book, but it's normally all I need. Perhaps monthly I'll grab the swimmer's shampoo and do a chelating wash (which always smells interesting as it reacts with all the crazy minerals in my water), since my water isn't softened and scums up pretty much everything.

Deep treatments? Maybe every few months. It's not a common thing for me.

blace
December 29th, 2014, 02:59 PM
I always deep condition post clarifying, which is about once every two weeks.

Ambrielle
December 29th, 2014, 04:01 PM
interesting answers. I think it depends on what our hair needs at the time, my needs change according to the weather. the key in my hair routine is to keep it hydrated/moisturized and lock in the moisture. it loves panthenol, fruit extracts and most oils. it hates anything with keratin in it, aloe vera & jojoba oil (the last two both seem to act like a protein treatment in my hair). I rarely need a protein treatment, maybe a light one once every 2 to 3 months to keep a good balance between moisture and protein. i do best with hydrolized wheat proteins and plant based ones. I don't get build up in my scalp despite oiling it but i do get a bit of build up on my lengths from cones. I clarify every 5 to 8 weeks ( diluted shampoo). Not sure what deep treatments entails :) i double condition every time i wash my hair. Once a week (bimonthly lately) i do a heavier oiling, i use to leave it on overnight but 4-5 hours is enough. I love coconut, camellia, almond and avocado oils best. I also use deep treatment hair masks from time to time but will mix in my own stuff in them to make them more potent. A bit of almond oil, pure vitamin b5 (d panthenol) leave it butter soft, no need to use styling products afterwards :o

Kendrix
December 29th, 2014, 11:14 PM
I clarifly when my hair starts to stick together at the ends: oily, darker in color and clinging to itself. That consistency is great for buns, but it looks horrible down when it gets that much buildup of oil and cones.

Olavi
December 30th, 2014, 05:26 PM
I have never clarified, not intentionally at least, nor do I do any deep treatments regularly. I have done some masks, but it's been months since the last time, and my hair is doing just fine :shrug:

mariechin1234
December 30th, 2014, 06:47 PM
I think as often as needed. I tend to clarify once a month and that does the job for my hair/scalp.

jeanniet
December 30th, 2014, 07:29 PM
Not often. I do an actual clarifying shampoo (chelating) once a year-ish. I do a sulfate-free shampoo maybe every four months or so, but I don't think I really need it and may just cut that out. I don't do deep treatments at all unless I happen to have leftover conditioner I don't want to use on a regular basis. Then I just slap it on my head a couple hours before a wash. If I need protein I just spray on some Neutral Protein Filler after a wash--that's anywhere from once a week to once a month. I'm not big on doing "treatments." I'd rather do something else, lol.

SwordWomanRiona
January 1st, 2015, 05:56 PM
I use shampoo with SLS every 3-4 days (oily roots, normal length and ends). Deep treatments (jojoba oil, cassia, henna, honey) are sporadical. Lately, I've been procrastinating in that respect quite a lot.

Neptune
January 1st, 2015, 06:14 PM
Shampoo about 1x per week, and use a deep conditioner afterwards -- every time, for about 5 minutes. Neutrogena clarifying shampoo about 1x per month. Also do a coconut oil deep condition about 1x per month, where i leave the oil in for a couple of hours, generally with a shower cap on to trap the heat.

AdaClare
January 1st, 2015, 06:19 PM
I claify irregularly (if I CO too many nights in a row my hair starts to feel weighed down, so I use a clairifying shampoo and CWC).

LadyLongLocks
January 1st, 2015, 08:52 PM
About every 4 weeks or more if needed in the winter. I clarify with neutrogena or suave clarifying or just use a harsh sls formula shampoo.
Then I use Nexxus Humectress deep conditioner.