PDA

View Full Version : Sebum - what do you think of the smell?

Samikha
September 28th, 2008, 12:16 PM
I've been stretching my washes a lot lately - it's just been convenient for me, and with the right care it makes my hair feel better and less frizzy. When I do wash, it's usually either to clarify or just with plain old water (soft water here).

When stretching washes, one will inevitably get to smell sebum sooner or later (unless you have a really low sebum production, I suppose). I find I don't mind the smell at all, actually. It reminds me of other natural smells like warm earth, incense or woodsmoke. Not my favorite thing in the world, but pleasant in its way.

My mother commented that my hair smells differently now. She views my attempts at natural haircare with a great deal of scepticism:lol: She asked if I had burned incense or used some kind of new product. Considering my last rinse was WO, I lied and told her just an old shampoo she knows about. (The idea that hair can be clean with water alone does not sit well with her.) I can't say I notice it very much myself, but I do know it smells differently now than my old Herbal Essences days or when I used MOP's C-System (citrus fruits) line.

I think stretching washes would be a lot harder (I probably wouldn't do it) if I for whatever reason didn't like the smell, or if my scalp produced more sebum. So, what is your take on it? Does it affect your hair decisions? Has anyone else noticed it? Is there a difference at all? Do you miss more heavily scented products?

Speckla
September 28th, 2008, 12:25 PM
I honestly don't know what it smells like. One month is the longest I've gone without using shampoo but I cowash and use a leave-in so that probably either washes away excess oil or covers up the scent.
________
Michigan medical marijuana (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

Oskimosa
September 28th, 2008, 12:52 PM
I think it stinks. Some things about the body just aren't pleasant. Morning breath and sebum are among those things. :p That's not to say you need chemicals to change them; we have the earth's remedies at our disposal! I guess I'm pro natural hygiene.

spidermom
September 28th, 2008, 12:57 PM
The smell of sebum just about gags me.

nicolezoie
September 28th, 2008, 01:06 PM
Once I smell it (either in my hair or on my fingers) it's time to wash. I can't stand the smell of it... makes me nauseated.:p

RavennaNight
September 28th, 2008, 01:08 PM
Well, since the summer is over, Ive been playing around with stretching out washes. For the last 3 weeks, I've washed once a week. However, as the week wears on and I start to smell sebum, it's usually my cue to wash soon. I don't dislike the smell, more like indifferent to it. I'm stretching out in preparation for the cold months of winter so I can keep wet head to a minimum and not use the blowfryer too often. (Yes Im old fashioned: you get sick from a wet head. I dont care what anyone says. Mom and Grandma were right.)

Carolyn
September 28th, 2008, 01:22 PM
Like Spidermom, it gags me too. It's just like sweaty underarm odor. I'd almost rather smell stinky feet. I'm not a believer in natural is better.

Meli
September 28th, 2008, 01:54 PM
I'm rather indifferent, I don't really like sebum smell, but I do like the natural touch it gives. I voted "I neither like nor dislike it", that is closest, but I could probably go with "I don’t mind it per se, but I prefer other smells in my hair" as well. I currently use lavender EO in my final rinse, but the smell goes away as my hair dries (misting with EO is even more temporary). I usually don't wash more than once every 5-7 days, so my hair has a sebumy/natural smell most of the time. It doesn't smell bad, though - it only smells bad if I don't scritch for 5 days or more and allow it to build up on my scalp, and that hasn't happened for a long time now, as I do daily scalp massages/scritching/preening.

thankyousir74
September 28th, 2008, 02:06 PM
I am rather indifferent about it. I dislike strong fake smells in my hair (what business doe my scalp have smelling like flowers?), but that doesn't mean that i necessarily prefer sebum. The thing is I never have had the opportunity of smelling sebum only, because when I don't CO, due to the fact that I'm an active person the likelihood is that whatever I smell it's probably the smell of sebum AND sweat (maybe even dust or dirt or smoke). But I picked that "I neither like nor dislike it" because I think I'm pretty indifferent about it. Also my DBF stretches out his wash days ridiculously and the smell doesn't bother me.

Melisande
September 28th, 2008, 02:27 PM
My scalp doesn't produce much sebum so I would have to stretch washes reeeally long to smell it. And I wash every three days at most. And if I stretch longer because I'm at home, I make best use of the time and oil my scalp so I don't have the pure sebum smell anyway. So I'm indifferent, I don't even know how my sebum smells and body smells in general don't bother me at all.

But. I have a friend who washes her hair rarely and uses very strong detergents so her scalp is working hard to make up for it. And sometimes this disturbs me.

So hm, I guess I don't like the smell. I prefer to ape the effect with jojoba oil which has no smell at all...

nappywomyn
September 28th, 2008, 05:57 PM
I don't mind the smell so much - but I prefer other smells in my hair. Funnily enough, the more natural my environment, the more I like the smell. My hair smelling of sebum while camping or at a week long festival - it just smells 'righter' than anything else could. Sitting in my cubicle? Not so much. :lol:

ladyshannonanne
September 28th, 2008, 06:18 PM
I don't like it particularly in my own hair, but it doesn't bother me, either. I have a lot of guy friends who don't wash their hair. I think they WO. (These are my neo-hippie buddies who go on month long hikes and work on farms in central Cal.) I actually like the smell of it on their hair. I guess that's because I don't like any fake smells on guys. I'm not a big fan of cologne.

ladyshannonanne
September 28th, 2008, 06:19 PM
You know, I think if they'd named it something other than "sebum," we might have a different opinion about the stuff. Like, what if it were called "follicle flower potion?" Stupid name, but I think I'd be more prone to liking it. LOL

MadHatter
September 28th, 2008, 06:21 PM
My scalp pumps out sebum like you wouldn't believe. And I HATE the smell. It's something reminiscent of bacon grease (ick!).
For this reason, I'll never try WO. My scalp really revolts if I go longer than 3 days before washing..
I minimize the wear on my hair by doing scalp washes most of the time, and reserving full-length washing for when my hair acts like it needs conditioner.

Celebrian
September 28th, 2008, 06:29 PM
I think sebum smells different on different people - and also suspect that it varies depending on what you've eaten; medications etc.

Generally, it smells musky to me (quite like it) but if that's got mixed in with certain food smells that I dislike for example - then it can come across as unpleasant.

On the whole, I like it in the background, with some other type of added hair fragrance mixing in. I think it can 'ground' fragrances, much like skin perfumes are fixed and given certain characteristics by an individual's natural body odor.

I hope I'm still talking sense here - I'm very sleepy!

mira-chan
September 28th, 2008, 06:31 PM
I'm pretty indifferent to it. My scalp doesn't produce much of it and all of it stays at scalp level. I hardly get to smell it.

Spiffyhink
September 28th, 2008, 06:48 PM
I don't usually stretch washes enough to smell it on myself that easily, but I can smell it in my combs and hair accesories. I generally like musky smells, so I'm rather fond of it--I just don't like too much of it in my hair (it gets nasty--I can't do WO!)

EbonyCurls
September 28th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I don't mind it either way if it's just me but I hate for other people to smell it so I don't wear my hair down when it gets to that point, then I wash it the following day.

RavennaNight
September 28th, 2008, 07:11 PM
You know, I think if they'd named it something other than "sebum," we might have a different opinion about the stuff. Like, what if it were called "follicle flower potion?" Stupid name, but I think I'd be more prone to liking it. LOL

I second that. "Sebum" sounds quite icky.

A girl I know has a scalp that always smells like, well, scalp. It's quite pronounced and wafts by when she passes by. It's not horrendous, but unusually strong. I think sebum smells different on different people.

vindo
September 28th, 2008, 10:27 PM
Hm..I was not sure what to answer :confused:

Truth is my sebum has smelled badly in the past...meaning puberty. Not horrible but it had an ashy weird smell.

When I started stretching my washes my sebum smelled but much better than I remembered. Also I dont have dandruff and those little sandy pebbles anymore when my hair is greasy.
Its just my skin and oil..

Now that I am used to the stretched routine my sebum does not smell like anything really. I sort of takes the smell of my shampoo a little...its just a sweet smell.

Hubby doesnt complain, he still sticks his nose in there and smells...especially when its a little greasy..:p He does not know I only wash once a week though..i just said " less frequent" :eyebrows:

My conclusion is that maybe the scalp has to get used to the routine and it will produce less of the smelly gunk, flakes, etc. over time :confused:

Teazel
September 28th, 2008, 10:40 PM
In my experience, everyone's head has its own personal... scent. I still remember the aromas of my parents' pillows, and DS has his own distinct, and rather powerful... perfume (he does WO), and so does DH.... On my own head, it's the greasy look that bothers me much more than any smell.

In short, it's hard to say whether I mind it because it's hard to pin down just exactly what the smell of sebum is. I don't mind my own too much, I suppose.

Marlowe
September 28th, 2008, 11:41 PM
Dunno about other peoples hair/scalp (Not being in the habit of sniffing strangers in public), but sebum is absolutely retch worthy on me and my sister. Being in an enclosed space like a car with my sister is literally stomach turning since she has oily hair she makes worse by using harsh shampoos everyday. Scalp reek just kinda wafts off her...

(I'm glad she doesn't read this forum, else I'd be getting a hiney kicking for saying that, I think.)

MermaidGirl
September 29th, 2008, 12:27 AM
I selected "I hate it" which is probably about right, if a bit strong. My own sebum is not that bad smelling, to me at least! I last washed on Thursday morning, so I'm on DD3 (stayed in all weekend) and its pretty oily looking. I'm sitting here scritching with a small horn comb, and running my fingers along my scalp and they just smell like my dirty hair, not wretch-worthy, but not like roses either.

However, I do hate the smell on other people. There are a couple folks at my office whose bathing habits are a bit questionable, and being in an enclosed elevator with them is a real joy. One of the girls I sit around the corner from had a floater at her desk last week and everytime I walked past this girl, my brain was just screaming "DIRTY MUSTY SMELLY HAIR! ACK!"

Nat242
September 29th, 2008, 12:35 AM
I don't think I've ever identified a sebum smell - maybe because I have a visibly oily scalp (oil never travels too far down the hair, either), so I wash every day/every 2nd day. I tend to use an airing powder if I don't wash.

I can't identify a "sebum" smell on my partner's hair either, and he washes every 2nd day, too. :shrug: I don't think I have a poor sense of smell.

Arctic_Mama
September 29th, 2008, 02:04 AM
Sebum doesn't bother me. When bacteria and sweat move in then it stinks, but sebum itself reminds me of the smell of my newborn's skin... odd, but nice. But there's a big difference between sebum and what most 'dirty hair' smells like and its honestly hard to get the sebum smell without the other unpleasantness. When I went CO only and was stretching my washes the way it smelled after a WO wash was just fine.

Monsterkitti
September 29th, 2008, 02:13 AM
I dont really mind it, I dont notice it too much on myself and I dont really mind the smell on DBF's hair.

DB hair does smell pretty pungent on occasion but he washes it with the nearest thing resembling shampoo/shower gel and generally abuses his scalp so not really all that suprised :)

Endelva
September 29th, 2008, 02:49 AM
I CO-wash every three days, and I clarify rarely because my hair is happier this way.
And I kind of like the smell of sebum, it doesn't smell dirty to me. It's different on each person's head, too. In some cases it smells like like vanilla, somehow, and it's very pleasant!

Calista
September 29th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I wash once a week. I don´t mind the smell of my own sebum but don´t particularly like it. I can only smell it on my brush and comb, not on my hair itself. I can smell my BF´s sebum only if I stick my nose right into his hair.

I think really smelly scalp often is an indicator that something´s out of balance, like using too harsh a shampoo.

Amoretti
September 29th, 2008, 05:05 AM
I really dislike the smell of sebum, especially other people's. LOL. Like when someone leans across you and you get a whiff of it.

Brownie
September 29th, 2008, 10:00 AM
I like the smell of my own sebum, but I wash two times a week, so I usually don't get to smell it very often.
Other peoples sebum smells disgusting to me :oops:

bunnii
September 29th, 2008, 10:18 AM
I know when i've left washing too long because my head stinks! lol it's like there's dead stuff on my head haha. Maybe mine just smells worse than normal?

Chromis
September 29th, 2008, 10:34 AM
I don't think I've ever identified a sebum smell - maybe because I have a visibly oily scalp (oil never travels too far down the hair, either), so I wash every day/every 2nd day. I tend to use an airing powder if I don't wash.

I can't identify a "sebum" smell on my partner's hair either, and he washes every 2nd day, too. :shrug: I don't think I have a poor sense of smell.

I can barely find any "sebum smell" on my hair either and I can't say I've ever noticed it on other people unless was confusing it for some other bad odour they had. I don't sweat much either though, so maybe my body just don't make enough oil for bacteria to feed on.

Haith
September 29th, 2008, 12:33 PM
I don't think I've ever smelled it. I've had my hair pretty dirty, though, so maybe I am just naturally indifferent to it? Like people who don't wear deodorant and don't seem to be able to smell themselves? I sure hope that someone would tell me if my hair stank...

Presto
September 29th, 2008, 03:28 PM
I like my own sebum smell, I'll scritch my head and smell it, or play with my large gauge earrings and sniff my fingers. But I can't stand other people's sebum smell. I am accustomed to DH's head scent, and don't mind it. But everyone else can keep their sebum to themselves! I especially can't stand my parents' particular oders, and I read an article that explained it as people genetically close to you should not be bred with, and this was an outgrowth of maintaining a gene line free of defects somehow.
That's right, I'm a sebum snob! Mine smells like roses, ha! *kidding*

Elphie
September 29th, 2008, 03:35 PM
I think I read that article as well, presto. We're supposed to be repulsed by our sibling's scents as well.

*Grateful for clean little sis all of a sudden*

Celebrian
September 29th, 2008, 05:54 PM
Actually, I'm going to backtrack a little on myself here...

I like my own sebum and DH's and can handle other non-family sebum - but I've just realised (re what you're all saying above) that I don't really like the sebum odor of my relations!

JessTheMess
September 29th, 2008, 06:49 PM
I don't mind my own sebum smell, but the Fiance thinks it is gross lol
It just smells like head to me lol... There is no other way for me to explain it

Patrycja
September 29th, 2008, 07:58 PM
Its been really bad a few times when I swore I had sour milk or something in my hair to make it smell.There are other times when I don't even notice it,just doesn't smell at all to me.

I voted that I didn't like it nor dislike it.There are much worse smells out there,IMO.

sapphire-o
September 30th, 2008, 07:13 AM
I think mine smells like roses, too. DH's smells like cookies. :D Although we both wash every couple days so there's never much to smell. Most people whose smell bother me seem to drink or smoke or eat garlic. I don't think the sebum is ever the culprit.

Arctic
September 30th, 2008, 07:21 AM
I don't know what my own smells like even though I have very oily scalp/skin. I wash quite often and even when I have been longer time without washing I haven't smelled anything. My fiances scalp smells a bit bad to me.
I know it's a bit different, but my dogs head smells wonderful! fresh, natural and like she'd just been on a long walk at forester!

BlackfootHair
September 30th, 2008, 07:25 AM
I think it smells worse in the summer time than winter...probably because there is more in warmer weather. I typically wash my hair every day, but if I don't...I really don't like the smell. I really don't like the smell of someone else's either. Just not my favorite thing to sniff...there are so many more wonderful things to sniff...like brownie batter! :D

kaorifun
September 30th, 2008, 10:01 AM
I don't think it smells like anything other than "hair," but I had an ex who used to tell me that my hair smelled funny when it had been a week or so since I CO'd.

Siava
September 30th, 2008, 11:31 AM
It would take many days of not washing for me to smell mine and even then it's faint. DD though...maybe it's the food she eats, her body chemistry, or both...it stinks. Period. She washes her hair every day, but she just hit puberty and her oil production is in overdrive at the moment. Sometimes it's overpowering to me.

rhubarbarin
September 30th, 2008, 11:51 AM
Don't mind it. My BF doesn't use shampoo very often and his hair smells fine to me.. mine doesn't seem to smell very strong unless I go more than 5 days without washing.

However I have attemped to do WO washing, and gave it up because it was just too much. I use leave-ins and I prefer a more perfumed smell.

Some people have a very acrid odor to their hair when it's dirty, I don't like that. But normally the smell of sebum reminds me of marigolds.

VanillaTresses
September 30th, 2008, 04:13 PM
I think it smells like cheese-- literally! :cheese:

Village Mama
September 30th, 2008, 04:40 PM
One of my sons has a stinky scalp and always has since he was born. My other sons hair smeels like really nice inscense... everyone has always complimented how nice his head smells. my hubby doesn't always use shampoo and his head smells nice, but awful if it gets mixed with too many food smells. I don't notice mine much, but if I have a psoriasis outbreak / and or eat the wrong foods my scalp is stinky. Noone else notices it but I hate the smell.

dulce-de-leche
October 1st, 2008, 05:11 AM
I hate it! I'm thinking about changing my routine to washing my hair to 3 times a week instead of 2 because the smell makes me feel nauseated.My husband also complained about the smell.He says he is not going to come close to me if I keep smelling like that and I don't blame him because it's awful.:(

Rain76
October 8th, 2008, 05:09 PM
I have an oily scalp & wash my hair every morning. You would think that would prevent anything other than a nice smell emitting from my scalp, but not today. I have to allow my hair to air dry, and later in the morning, it smelled SOUR. My husband said it did, too. :( He said it is because I let it stay damp too long. I just can't win! I am a very clean person, and it really bothers me that I am walking around smelling sour. YUCK!

AJoifulNoise
October 8th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I've never really smelled it. The longest I went without a wash was a week. And, even then I was rinsing daily and rubbing in some smelly leave-in.

And, seeing as my scalp freaks out with itchies everytime I try to stretch out my washes, I probably won't be smelling it any time soon.

Speckla
October 8th, 2008, 05:32 PM
I smelled it for the first time last night and didn't like it. I shampooed this morning. :soapbox:
________
Ts100 (http://www.cyclechaos.com/wiki/Suzuki_TS100)

Dianyla
October 8th, 2008, 09:19 PM
As has already been pointed out by Presto, there is a huge genetic component to liking someone's natural personal smell.

I'm indifferent to my own sebum smell. I dislike the smells of my family members. And, yep! I really really like the smell of a lover's hair. :eyebrows:

Ndnlady
October 9th, 2008, 04:04 AM
I neither like or dislike the smell of sebum. I have been doing water only for about a month now and my scalp did stink at first (I thought) but I think it kind of balanced itself out and now it smells like hair. My daughter comments on how good my hair smells now. But she is kind of biased:) she tells me its "mommy smell" as she buries her nose in my hair!:)

burns_erin
October 9th, 2008, 09:54 AM
I am pretty sure it is one of those things that really depends on a person's body chemistry and what bacteria is currently living ont their body and what environmental residue is getting up in the mix. Everybody's BO smells different, everyone's earwax smells different, so why shouldn't everyones sebum smell different.

RocketDog
October 9th, 2008, 05:00 PM
I don't mind the smell, but I'd rather my hair smell fresh and clean. I've been stretching out my washes as long as I can stand (only 3-4 days between washes, but that's a lot for me!), and while I know it's just a part of life, it's not the most pleasant of smells if you know what I mean.

savi
October 9th, 2008, 06:27 PM
I don't really have an opinion on the scent of my own sebum. And I'm agreeing with Dianyla on this, except that I don't dislike the scent of my mom's nor little brother's sebum for some strange reason.

kschr2004
October 22nd, 2008, 07:11 PM
I don't think I've ever been able to smell it on my hair or on anyone else's. Maybe the years that I smoked permanently dulled my sense of smell (even though I quit smoking 8 years ago)...

I did have a co-worker at my last job who told me my hair smelled different on the days I didn't wash it.

RoseRedDead
October 24th, 2008, 06:42 PM
Everyone smells different due to body chemistry, medications, foods, health, etc...

I personally kind of like mine. It smells.. feminine... I know that is very vague, but that's all I can say really. It does not smell bad, and it just smells like me. I'm BS & ACV for hair, WO for body, OCM/honey/milk/what-have-you for face, so I don't have a lot of scented stuff goin' on. I don't often wear perfume and my clothing detergent is unscented.

Yeah. I like it.

chantiny
October 24th, 2008, 07:39 PM
Chime in here too, I agree I hate the smell of relatives, don't mind/kind of like my own and my DH. But, the reason I don't do NW or WO is because I know that since I strongly dislike some others' sebum scents, I don't want to force mine on them if they don't like mine.

invisiblebabe
October 24th, 2008, 08:03 PM
I wash my hair every day (I have very oily skin and hair, and I'm very acne-prone if I don't). So, I've never smelled it.

EvaSimone
October 26th, 2008, 02:36 AM
I dislike it... it bothers me but I can usually deal with it for that day but not more. I can usually smell it on my non wash day, I guess I have pretty high sebum production since I wash my hair every other day.

harley mama
October 26th, 2008, 06:46 AM
I think that the odor one emits from any body function depends on each individual person.
Some people have stronger odor than others. And, it also depends on what a person eats or drinks. I know a guy that emits the odor of almost everything he consumes. I've never sniffed his head but, if he ate garlic, I suspect that is what his sebum would smell like!

AngelInDisguise
October 26th, 2008, 10:52 AM
Unfortunately I am one with stronger odor.... With daily hygiene nothing one cannot cope with. But as I really do dislike the smell of my sebum it makes it really hard for me to stretch the washes of my hair which I really would like to do.

But I have to say that I am more sensitive to my "smells" as others seem to be. Anyway as soon as I notice the sebum smell it's time for a nice shampoo.

Shypii90
October 26th, 2008, 11:53 AM
I really doubt I ever smelt my own sebum! LOL
my pillow smells of nothing!
And I wash my hair once a week so it's quite a stretch.
other people's I smelt I guess. i don't think i ever smelt my own.
Don't know what to think because I forgot what people smell of! :P

Tangles
October 26th, 2008, 04:33 PM
I don't like it particularly in my own hair, but it doesn't bother me, either. I have a lot of guy friends who don't wash their hair. I think they WO. (These are my neo-hippie buddies who go on month long hikes and work on farms in central Cal.) I actually like the smell of it on their hair. I guess that's because I don't like any fake smells on guys. I'm not a big fan of cologne.

I've always liked perfume, cologne and aftershave.. which is weird because I'm a natural person in general.

lora410
October 27th, 2008, 07:16 AM
I don't like it, and I can usually smell it the 2nd day after washing.

amberdakota
October 27th, 2008, 04:48 PM
I think it depends on the person and their natural body odor...mine smells OK, but I prefer other natural smells in my hair, shampoo bar smell, natural shampoo and conditioner, etc. The natural smell of a lover's hair though can be absolutely WONDERFUL!! :-)

eaglefeather71
October 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM
I would love to stretch my washes farther and farther apart to even every other week, but I just LOVE the smell of natural shampoo bars and soaps. Sometimes I wash just because I want to enjoy the scents of a shower and when I shower its just habit I guess to wash my hair or atleast rinse it. I currently wash 2x/week and will soon be at 1x/week. I have tried to shower and not wash my hair but I always cave in and wash. So on the days I just want to rinse, I do it without showering. Thats the only way to overcome my habit.

dor3girl
October 27th, 2008, 06:16 PM
I probably wash or condition mine too often to smell it on myself--but I do notice it on my kids. I will sniff the tops of their heads and ask, "When was the last time you showered?"

I think it is more noticeable on short hair or hair that has been treated with chemicals (colored, bleached, etc.). When I worked in the salon, I would get these old ladies who would come in with hair that hadn't been washed or wet since the last time I washed it & it was not a delightful smell. It was close to "wet dog" on the scale of grossness.

My four year old daughter seems to never have smelly hair--but she when plays with the dogs she will start smelling like dog & you know that dog-sebum is right up there near the top of the unpleasant smells category--especially outdoor dog sebum *shudder*

Bianca
October 31st, 2008, 06:06 AM
I tried to go longer between washes once but couldn't stand the smell :)

Schmoomunitions
October 31st, 2008, 02:18 PM
My own sebum smell is so gross, I hate it and my bf hates it! I think it always has a smell even when freshly washed, I read that it may be a fungus so I washed with betadyne solution , it made no difference. My bf on the other hand, his hair even at its dirtiest smells delicious, I could gnaw on his scalp!! Its so unfair that Im stinky!!!

Isilme
October 31st, 2008, 06:31 PM
I like my sebum smell, it just smells like me. But I love bf's smell, or rather scent, it's very earthy and deep, with a hint of musk. It makes me feel relaxed and more bound to him. TMI He seems to produce some kind of wonderful scent from his whole body. Once he forgot a used shirt at my place and I kept sniffing it :D I guess that is what they call feromones.

Dvips
November 2nd, 2008, 09:00 AM
My answer was not accurate (I chose "I like it") because, as was noted above, it depends on the person. I do like the way my sebum smells.

Sunny
November 6th, 2008, 07:46 AM
I kind of like it. :) I suppose I've just gotten used to it, as I gradually went from washing everything 2-3 days to every 4-5 days. I've done living history for years, too, and I learned long ago that letting it go unwashed before a weekend out was smart. 4-5 days with a scalp used to 2 days would otherwise be intense - but the smell of woodsmoke obliterated everything else! After smelling of woodsmoke all weekend, then getting home and smelling it in the shower when I washed my hair, the comparatively mild smell of sebum is fine with me.

Copasetic
November 7th, 2008, 05:25 PM
i don't mind the smell of my own sebum. i agree with the original post. it smells sort of earthy, not bad. i prefer a more artificial-shampoo-smell, but i am fine with my more natural smell.

lynnala
November 7th, 2008, 10:01 PM
Ugh, I hate the smell, and I hate the word even more!

Vitalai
November 8th, 2008, 12:44 AM
I have a high sebum production, so the smell really gets to me. I have to wash every day.

AnnaMarie
November 18th, 2008, 03:24 PM
I voted "dislike it" But I guess its that I don't actually mind it myself. I just don't like the fact that someone else might smell it. And my head gets really itchy when it gets greasy and thats uncomfortable :o

tiggens
November 19th, 2008, 01:26 PM
As many others, I love, love, love the smell of my sebum and the sebum of my near and dear. It's somehow very comforting. However I want no part of Joe Schmoe sebum and even thinking about it makes me shiver.

rymorg2
November 19th, 2008, 01:52 PM
eh, there's worse smells in this world. Truthfully though, I think since I've been stretching my washes my scalp has normalized some. It's not too bad now.

rapunzhell13
November 19th, 2008, 10:10 PM
I like it!

Amber_Maiden
December 13th, 2011, 06:38 PM
I don't really care what it smells like, and if anyone other than my husband is close enough to me to smell it, then they shouldn't be that close...

I would prefer my hair to smell like incense or something, but that's not really an option for me right now...

dwell_in_safety
December 13th, 2011, 07:31 PM
I like it. to me it just smells earthy, and I've always adored smells like that. Wet sebum can be overpowering, though.

Caldonia Sun
December 13th, 2011, 07:35 PM
I like it. It smells like me.

Alex Lou
December 13th, 2011, 08:13 PM
I hear some people say that they have stinky heads, which I can't understand, because to me it's a good smell! My own sebum reminds me of the smell of my mother's hair when I was a child. And I love, love the smell of my husband's hair.

serin blackwood
December 14th, 2011, 02:46 PM
Don't mind my own, but really, can't we just call it our "natural oils"? :)

akilina
December 14th, 2011, 02:51 PM
ugh...im a hair dresser so ill have to say 70% of other peoples smells DISGUSTINGGGGGGG!!!!! oh geez sometime some make me wanna pass out it smells so bad and it smells so greasy and dirty. some peoples just doesnt smell and their scalp/hair actually smells pleasant.

sunshine-locks
December 14th, 2011, 02:59 PM
I dislike it, it smells like wet cat :S

Soltimus
December 14th, 2011, 03:06 PM
I haven't really taken notice of it. To me it just smells like skin only more powerful sometimes. I actually voted that I neither liked or disliked it, but I think actually I might like it a little. It gives off a warm cozy mild smell in my case, but I have certainly met people whose sebum didn't smell quite a nice. I'm sure it's different from person to person due to hormones, diet etc.

isabelx
December 14th, 2011, 03:12 PM
Sebum has a smell? :dizzy: my hair gets greasy quite quickly but I've never noticed it has a smell!

aisha.christine
December 14th, 2011, 03:13 PM
I don't mind it, but I would rather my scalp smell like something else. My sebum smells musky to me, and while it isn't disgusting, I just don't like that scent palette. I'd much prefer my hair to smell like citrus. To me, that smells clean.

xoxophelia
December 14th, 2011, 03:19 PM
My sebum actually smells lightly... sweet? I also don't produce a whole lot so it takes a week for my hair to look oily and I can only smell it on my finger tips after rubbing my scalp.

I don't like the musky smelling type but eh :shrug:.. An interesting discovery I had recently is that our body odor kind of cancels out fecal smells. I had gone for a run and when I came back discovered my dog also had the runs <<'... So I guess there is a purpose.

spidermom
December 14th, 2011, 03:33 PM
I've noticed that I've got an especially bad smell behind my ears if I don't pay special attention to washing back there. It's like the stinkiest of stinky cheese. Bleh!

I've noticed that my adult son smells completely putrid to me, but when I mention it to my daughter or husband, they don't smell anything in particular. I guess we're too close a genetic match or something.

Miss Catrina
December 14th, 2011, 04:46 PM
My hair smells like vomit when I don't wash it. No bueno.

Zesty
December 14th, 2011, 05:22 PM
I don't really mind my own. Sebum in general tends to smell to me like morning time, which is sort of comforting. But I have to say that I love the smell of my boyfriend's sebum. :P He has very greasy hair, and while it rarely looks greasy since he washes it with shampoo daily, I love to sniff his head and get a little bit of a whiff. Lol!

ludwig20
December 14th, 2011, 06:42 PM
I'm not sure how to describe its scent, but it's not exactly my favorite.

Michiru
January 2nd, 2012, 03:21 PM
It makes me want to pull my hair out, literally.

thecandiedmango
January 4th, 2012, 06:30 PM
I don't think mine has much of a scent. I don't notice one, anyway. I haven't gone more than three or four days without a wash since... my last camping trip, I think. I know I was stinky then but that's also related to the whole sweat+wood smoke+sunscreen+body oil combination.

MissManda
January 4th, 2012, 07:05 PM
My opinion of my own sebum is neutral; it doesn't smell good, but it doesn't disgust me, either. I remember when I used to wash my hair every day with harsh shampoo that if I didn't wash my hair for more than one day that it would literally smell like a wet dog when I did get around to it. Now that my care methods are better and the products I use are gentler, I don't have this problem anymore and the worst it gets is the smell lingering on my fingers a little after a scalp massage three days after washing. Even if I don't wash for more than a week, the icky dog smell doesn't happen.

ArienEllariel
January 4th, 2012, 07:08 PM
Honestly, I think sebum smell is different for different people. I like the smell of my sebum but my sister's is... weird. Idk, I like mine. haha :p

Odyssey
January 6th, 2012, 03:49 PM
I voted I like it. I'm a bit neutral, but more on the positive side. I've got a fairly low production I think, especially after stretching for so long and then moving to WO. I think my body doesn't feel the need to produce a lot. It doesn't have a smell at all to me, it's just kinda there.

Henrietta
January 7th, 2012, 05:10 AM
I don’t mind it per se, but I prefer other smells in my hair. And I am afraid that other people can smell it too, so I am not the biggest fan of going too long with hair which requires washing ;)

Bedhead
February 23rd, 2012, 01:59 PM
I think sebum smells different on different people - and also suspect that it varies depending on what you've eaten; medications etc.

Generally, it smells musky to me (quite like it) but if that's got mixed in with certain food smells that I dislike for example - then it can come across as unpleasant.
!

^^This. :)

At least mine alters depending on my diet and how balanced my system is. It's a good indicator to whether or not I'm taking care of myself. But to be honest, I don't think I've ever smelt anyone else's other than my own. :shrug:

maborosi
February 23rd, 2012, 04:42 PM
I think it stinks. Some things about the body just aren't pleasant. Morning breath and sebum are among those things. :p That's not to say you need chemicals to change them; we have the earth's remedies at our disposal! I guess I'm pro natural hygiene.

This is so true. Sebum, morning breath, and stinky armpits.

However, I never go long enough to where I notice the smell. I can stretch my washings to about 6+ days and not notice anything, but I'm still doing CO washings in between shampoos, so that helps.

If my hair feels uncomfortable or waxy, I shampoo it.

~maborosi~

Sillage
February 23rd, 2012, 08:17 PM
OMG I think the smell of sebum is disgusting. I can't handle the thought of running around with stinky hair. As sensitive as I am to smells, and with the amount of money I spend on perfumes, it's just unthinkable, LOL.

Lipbalmbabe
February 23rd, 2012, 08:20 PM
I honestly don't know what it smells like. One month is the longest I've gone without using shampoo but I cowash and use a leave-in so that probably either washes away excess oil or covers up the scent.
________
Michigan medical marijuana (http://michigan.dispensaries.org/)

Wow I wish I could go that long!

Neneka
February 24th, 2012, 11:45 AM
I don't smell anything. My sense of smell is too poor.

(Hey! Message number 500!)

PinkyCat
February 24th, 2012, 11:49 AM
Ugh. Hate it. No no no.

Madora
March 1st, 2012, 12:55 PM
The only time when I'm aware of a sebum smell is when my hair is ready for shampooing. Never smell a thing when brushing daily.

melusine963
March 2nd, 2012, 12:38 PM
I don't like the smell at all. Rightly or wrongly, associate it with dirty hair and by the time I can smell it I know my hair really needs a wash. It makes me feel pretty self-conscious on wash day :(

RitaPG
March 2nd, 2012, 02:53 PM
It reminds me of other natural smells like warm earth, incense or woodsmoke. Not my favorite thing in the world, but pleasant in its way.

I’ve never gone long enough without a wash to smell it. on me, but I know some people who happen to have greasy hair, and believe me, it does not smell pleasant at all.
But this might depend on the person, my sister is 18, has very oily hair and I can smell it strongly on her, but my twin brother is 23 and I can barely smell a thing on him. My dad, on the other hand, is toxic all the way, not just the smell of his hair, but his breathing, I can smell it on the corridor in the morning if he leaves his bedroom door open, not good at all. I think sickness, hormone imbalance or even certain medication or drugs, can change a person's PH balance and that messes up with body secretions and therefore, their smells too.
I'm really sensitive to smells.
I don't like heavily perfumed products, I do wear a little perfume though, and I do enjoy the scent of my conditioners - many of my skin and hair products are chosen by their smell.

If you are doing okay with stretching washes and nobody complained of any odd smells, you should be fine :) But if you start feeling uncomfortable about it, you can always get a nice smelling Essential oil, put some drops on a spray bottle and mix it with water and spray it once or twice a day on your scalp. I used to do that myself.

AcornMystic
March 2nd, 2012, 03:30 PM
I voted that I don't mind it, but prefer other smells in my hair. My husband is a big believer in natural is better. Unshaven, no make up or fake smells. However, he can appreciate applied smells. Me, well, I am that way to an extent. I promote the whole natural idea with use of natural products (ruffle nutmeg in my hair!! Just kidding. :p), but I would prefer that my hair smell like something that I actually find pleasant. When my hair smells like sebum it reminds me of my father, because he would stretch his washes a lot and had a very similar aroma for that in which I seem to have acquired from him. He was a heart patient and had difficulty getting into and out of the bath tub. Not that smelling like him bothers me too much, but I just figured my dad could have been a lot more hygienic than he was. Besides, who doesn't want their hair to smell like edibles. Mmm!! ^.^ :p

zombi
March 2nd, 2012, 10:06 PM
Yuck, I hate this smell. I can't take it at all, which is why I have never bothered stretching my washes beyond the 2 to 3 days I was raised washing my hair!

HintOfMint
March 4th, 2012, 04:40 PM
I wrote "I dislike it" but I was hovering between hate and dislike. My hair will start to smell a bit sebum-y if I washed it the day before with an ordinary shampoo (not head and shoulders), and it's not terrible. I don't like it, but it's not offensive to me. However, the next day or the day after, I just HATE it.

Part of the reason I love head and shoulders is that it knocks out the sebum smell for a lot longer than an ordinary shampoo. But if I use it every single time, I shed a little more than I'm comfortable with and there's dimethicone in it which makes my roots a bit stringy. Ah well.