PDA

View Full Version : To trim, or not to trim?

DreamSheep
December 27th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Hi!
I feel so silly posting a thread like this :p
I haven't had a trim for about a year and a half and my ends have fairytailed like crazy. On one hand I'm pleased because it's grown a lot and the end of hem reaches my tailbone, and I quite like my hair looking "natural" and not freshly trimmed. On the other, I feel my hair looks a bit more unkempt and not quite as nice down (not that I wear it down too often, but when I do I want it to look nice and not straggly). So I was giving thought to the idea of giving my ends a trim, so just wondering what you guys would do?
The photos depict my hair after 7 days of not washing, and probably washing soon (so the worst it would look, but not necessarily unusual!). The ends are thin, but surprisingly not split (yet!).

a) Nothing, just keep growing and S&D
b) Microtrim (only that I prefer to do scissorwork often because I've never done it before...) - monthly? quarterly? as needed?
c) Cut off XX inches from the end?
d) Cut all the way back to hip-BCL abyss, where my two bottom layers will be one? (the equivalent of cutting to the top of the white stripe in the first picture)
e) Something else?

Hair gathered together :::::::::::::: Hair as it naturally falls :::::::::::::::: Hair as it naturally falls spread out
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz8/yapparibikkuri/7318e8bc-ed6f-43f5-9da0-7fa785760e3f.jpg (http://s808.photobucket.com/user/yapparibikkuri/media/7318e8bc-ed6f-43f5-9da0-7fa785760e3f.jpg.html)http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz8/yapparibikkuri/3b8762f0-1cac-4206-a945-41ea134dd670.jpg (http://s808.photobucket.com/user/yapparibikkuri/media/3b8762f0-1cac-4206-a945-41ea134dd670.jpg.html)http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz8/yapparibikkuri/3759f0f9-bd08-48d7-9d96-82fcf15a9b32.jpg (http://s808.photobucket.com/user/yapparibikkuri/media/3759f0f9-bd08-48d7-9d96-82fcf15a9b32.jpg.html)

Hair from the front
http://i808.photobucket.com/albums/zz8/yapparibikkuri/2fd7e72f-7a36-4fb7-b70f-ce4858410747.jpg (http://s808.photobucket.com/user/yapparibikkuri/media/2fd7e72f-7a36-4fb7-b70f-ce4858410747.jpg.html)

Thanks for your time! :)

Johannah
December 27th, 2014, 11:11 AM
What do YOU want? Do you like FTE or not? Do you want to get rid of layers or not? Do you want to change your hemline or not?

If you like your hair, and you have no damage, don't cut. If you don't like your hair the way it is now, trim. If your FTE are so annoying for you and you can handle to loose a lot of length all at once, go for it. Or you could just maintain for some months, or cut your length every other month.

spidermom
December 27th, 2014, 11:19 AM
If it were me, I'd trim back to the next longest layer. But there is no right answer. Do what you think you'd like most.

Ambrielle
December 27th, 2014, 11:22 AM
your hair is gorgeous, healthy looking and thick regardless, Dreamsheep! :flower:

In my opinion it always comes down to how you feel when you look at it, it's important that you are happy with your hair. If it was me and i felt unhappy with the ends i'd trim a few inches but i am not a fan a fairytale ends on my hair, i prioritize blunter ends over length. Another thing to consider is the layers, they tend to make the ends look a bit thinner by contrast with the bulk if you know what i mean, you may not have any damage at all. Have you tried pampering the ends with a bit of oil? If you do decide to trim you could always take little bits at a time (starting with 0,5 inches or less for example) so that it eases you into it :)

ZeppHead
December 27th, 2014, 11:23 AM
If it were me and I had no split ends I would not trim. Your hair looks very pretty in my opinion and not damaged or unhealthy. I would keep growing and trim as necessary. If you don't like the fairy tale ends, which I do, trim a small amount to a blunt hemline. I voted to leave it and s&d as needed.

Komao
December 27th, 2014, 11:26 AM
You have a gorgeous head of hair! I'm so indecisive, just lately which is not a typical thing for me.
I guess I would only microtrim when you feel it really needs it and keep on growing.
I can be decisive about this, I would not choose choice D.

After more thought, I'll go with choice A. Bet you're glad I made up my mind!!!

DreamSheep
December 27th, 2014, 11:57 AM
What do YOU want? Do you like FTE or not? Do you want to get rid of layers or not? Do you want to change your hemline or not?

If you like your hair, and you have no damage, don't cut. If you don't like your hair the way it is now, trim. If your FTE are so annoying for you and you can handle to loose a lot of length all at once, go for it. Or you could just maintain for some months, or cut your length every other month.

Thanks all for the detailed replies. :)
I realise this question Johanna, is an important one I've neglected.

I don't feel blunt hemlines are me, and although I love my V-hemline, I think for "longer lengths", a U hemline would look more flattering, although I don't need to achieve it straight away. I feel my hair is relatively healthy (few split ends, and if there are any they do get snipped off), but I also want it to look it.

Maybe I'm answering my own question here...

lapushka
December 27th, 2014, 12:28 PM
I would just leave it alone. S&D when necessary, and just keep on growin'!

Begemot
December 27th, 2014, 12:41 PM
I would either trim just a little bit to get closer U-shaped hemline or leave it be. Your hair looks beautiful the way it is right now but I personally prefer U-hemline and I also like to trim some regularly. End of the day it's really just up to you of course :)

Johannah
December 27th, 2014, 12:50 PM
Thanks all for the detailed replies. :)
I realise this question Johanna, is an important one I've neglected.

I don't feel blunt hemlines are me, and although I love my V-hemline, I think for "longer lengths", a U hemline would look more flattering, although I don't need to achieve it straight away. I feel my hair is relatively healthy (few split ends, and if there are any they do get snipped off), but I also want it to look it.

Maybe I'm answering my own question here...

If this is what you want, you could maintain, cut off your growth every other month or do some regular trims (whatever suits you best) with feye's method. Since you already have a V-shape, you could use the blunt cut method to achieve a more U-shaped hemline.

Gorgeous hair, but I'm sure I already said that several times ;)

patienceneeded
December 27th, 2014, 01:54 PM
If this was me, I would make the bigger cut and get rid of the bottom layers. I don't really like to much of a V hemline, but that's my personal preference.

For you, do what will make you happiest. You hair looks fine (good condition) so a cut isn't really necessary unless you want it to be necessary. Are you eventually trying to get rid of the layers? Do you like the V shape you have? Are you looking to change up your hemline? If so, then the cut may be a good idea. If not, or if you're uncertain I'd advise waiting or starting small and taking inventory again.

woodswanderer
December 27th, 2014, 02:07 PM
It sounds like you might want to get to a U shape for the future, but you sound kind of wishy washy about it. If you do want a U hemline, you might as well cut off a small amount and start getting to the hemline you want, so I chose C.

I guess you overall just need to decide what hemline you want and go for it.

GreenFairy
December 27th, 2014, 04:01 PM
micro trim so your hemline becomes thicker. but thats just me. your hair is beautiful.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 27th, 2014, 04:07 PM
I chose C as well. It's not that your hair looks bad at all, you could certainly just continue growing. It's just that I am in an even-up-the-hemline kind of mood for myself so I voted to just do a small trim.

DreamSheep
December 28th, 2014, 01:14 PM
Thanks everyone for your input (and thank you all of you that said you thought my hair was nice ^.^ Those comments mean so much, especially when I have moments of not being so pleased with my hair).

I washed my hair today and magically it looked much better, but in the end, after a fairly thorough S&D, I cut off 1-2cm from the tip. It's not visible at all, but there is less of a point, and hopefully the ends will be better now. I'll probably have an intermediate between S&D and microtrimming, where I might be a bit less frugal on my longest layer if I spot splits so as to sloooowly even it up. (though knowing me and how scared I felt going snip snip on those ends, I'll probably just S&D and find myself making this thread again in a year's time :p)

iYaap
December 28th, 2014, 01:28 PM
Always a difficult question. Pure length or pure beauty? :D
I had c because that's what I'm trying with my hair. Small trims every 4 months.

wilderwein
December 28th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Leave it alone! You are one of the few people I have seen that they actually rock layers! The thickness you have in your hair helps you a lot! As your hair grows longer they will look even better and "vicoria frances hairy-ish" http://images2.fanpop.com/image/photos/11300000/VF-victoria-frances-11351808-274-399.jpg

Ennapic
December 29th, 2014, 04:19 PM
"In my opinion it always comes down to how you feel when you look at it, it's important that you are happy with your hair. If it was me and i felt unhappy with the ends i'd trim a few inches but i am not a fan a fairytale ends on my hair, i prioritize blunter ends over length."

This is my feeling as well. Fairy tale ends do not look as scraggly on thicker hair like yours as they do on thin/fine hair like mine.

Night_Kitten
December 30th, 2014, 04:07 AM
I think your hair looks healthy and pretty, and the V shape suits it a lot, so if it was me I'd just leave it like it is :)
However if you want to change to a U shape as you grow, I'd go for microtrims (~1/4'' every 2-3 months) until you achieve the shape you want, that way you'll slowly transfer into a U shape as your hair grows longer...

hanne jensen
December 30th, 2014, 05:43 AM
I would microtrim half of your growth off every month for a year.

DreamSheep
December 30th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Wanted to say thanks to all. :)
I did trim a little in the end (not sure how much, but I know I'm not shorter than when I started at the LHC, probably between hip and BCL, closer to BCL now).
The hem actually looks much more U-shaped now which I'm happy with.
I probably won't touch it further, but may dust when I'm back in the UK as I'm afraid my mother's scissors are a bit dull - so if splits start springing out I'll do that.
Otherwise, pleased with the result - doesn't look too different, I can do all the buns I could before, and although I was only just at tailbone, I feel I haven't lost too much length and will hope to be there with better ends soon. ^^ Thanks all for the input!

Natalia
January 13th, 2015, 03:06 AM
I think it looks great it reminds me of those forest fairy/princess type characters. Even your fairytail hemline looks healthy and dense to me though im biased as a person with fine and thin hair. I think it suits your natural texture

AmberJewel
January 13th, 2015, 05:06 AM
It's gorgeous and so thick! Glad you're happy with it after your trim.

Keepitgrowing31
January 17th, 2015, 08:47 AM
I think that your hair looks great. I wouldn't do a thing to it.

Stiria
January 17th, 2015, 08:58 AM
I am glad you are happy after your trim! Just wanted to say that your hair is gorgeous! :)

petcrazy18
January 20th, 2015, 05:00 PM
I definitely vote to not trim :) if your hair is damage free in great shape there is no reason to cut it. I haven't trimmed my hair in 2 years now and my hair health hasn't deteriorated

Seeshami
January 20th, 2015, 10:00 PM
I slowly trimmed out my layers over the past few years, pretty much all the time I have been on lhc. I don't think Mess could fairy tail unless I intentionally did it so I really don't know how to recommend there as I personally keep my hair in a deep to slight u depending on how much attention I have paid while trimming, but braiding with one layer is easier then many.

spidermom
January 21st, 2015, 09:05 AM
Glad you made a decision and are happy with the results.