PDA

View Full Version : Your Best/Worst Hair Experiments of 2014

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 11:36 AM
As the year 2014 is quickly coming to an end, what are some of your best and worst hair care experiments/tips/products of 2014?
What care tips will you bring into the new year 2015 and what do you want to leave behind? :)

Thank you so much, guys! :D
And Happy Holidays! :flowers:

wilderwein
December 26th, 2014, 01:17 PM
Worst experiment (kindaa) the post break up bleached hair, wich I liked but I could leave with my natural hair color too -.- OH also a haircut at a hairdresser wich took me more than 5" so right now I would be probably at TBL length -___-'
Best experiments was oiling my hair everytime I wash my hair aaand beeing more patient while detangling my hair.

Aurum
December 26th, 2014, 01:21 PM
Best experiment was stopping hairdresser visits, don't really have a worst. I haven't experimented much yet. :p

GoblinTart
December 26th, 2014, 01:23 PM
I'm experimenting with castor oil scalp treatments, don't know if it's doing good, but it's not hurting either. Time will tell. CO washing is new for me as well. My hair seems to like it.

Worst? Tresemme Split End Repair. Blech, that stuff makes my hair feel so dry.

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Best:
Hair bag
Braiding
Hair diary
Pantene beautiful lengths shampoo conditioner
Pantene nature fission leave in
Pantene truly natural serum
Mane n tail conditioner
Satin scrunchi
Worse:
My other routine
No hair bag
Constantly rebraiding

hennalonghair
December 26th, 2014, 02:12 PM
Best
1/ Finding hair toys and new ways to keep my hair up
2/ Discovered ways to seal I. Moisture and reduce or eliminate frizz
3/ discovered some great washing and conditioned methods that were appropriate for my hair type
4/learned to stretch out my washes without getting funky hair
5: discovered a curl enhancer that was made exclusively for my hair. And I HATE curl enhancers but this one is the bomb.
6/ discovered my hair loves shea butter and coconut oil

Worst
1/ Avoiding brushing!!!!! Horrible horrible results
MY wavy./ Curiy hair NEEDS brushing. I don't care how many others can get away with NOT brushing. I am definitely NOT one of them. :shrug:
2/ Washing with cleansing conditioner like Wen. My hair hated it and its never lost as much hair in my life. It gave me extreme scalp issues like SD
.3/ Inverted braiding. Because of my 3a underlayer of hair doesn't like being turned inside out
(if you know what I mean)
4/ half ups/ not for me for the same reason as above

Johannah
December 26th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Worst:
CO'ing instead of shampooing. My hair got overmoisturized pretty bad.

Best:
Conditioner with hydrolyzed keratin. 'Repaired' my hair from the overload of moisture ;)
Using a satin sleep cap at night
Only using a wide tooth comb

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 02:20 PM
Thank you so much for your replies, guys. :flower: I agree about hairdresser visits, bleach and cuts: almost every time I went to a hairdresser I regretted it. And this reminds me to stay strong and stay away from bleach. :)

Forgot to post about my own experiments:

Best:
1) Hair toys (sticks and forks). So incredibly comfy and secure! Now I understand why folks with bunnable hair rave about them. :D

2) Scalp-only washes between full washes - the amount of time they save is incredible! And they really cut down on mechanical damage from detangling and hygral fatigue. I think this is a "cleaner" form of refreshing scalp than dry shampoos.
If anybody is interested in how scalp-washes work, there are many methods, but I do it either the way HaarTraum does it here (from 1:30): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo or the way LauraLongLocks does it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc (Both ladies have wonderful hair and YT tutorials, by the way)

3) gelatin + conditioner + honey + oil. This is an excellent strengthening and moisturizing pack. The combination of hydrolyzed proteins (gelatin), humectants (honey) and occlusives (oils) is simply amazing for dry/porous/damaged hair.

4) Mixing products (especially conditioners) - if one is too light, I just mix it with a heavier mask. I never got any adverse effect from mixing products like this.

5) Afro pick for damp detangling - something about the length and flexibility of tines as well as the positioning of the handle make it a great detangler for me. Standard wide-tooth combs have very short tines for me, unfortunately.

Worst:
I think I haven't had any really bad experiments this year, actually. :D Some products didn't work for me, but I mixed them into others, and they worked just fine.
But every time I try a complex braid (i.e. any braid other than English), my hair rebels and tangles massively. :( I hope to learn to tame or at least manage the beast a bit in 2015! ;)

hennalonghair
December 26th, 2014, 02:29 PM
Thank you so much for your replies, guys. :flower: I agree about hairdresser visits, bleach and cuts: almost every time I went to a hairdresser I regretted it. And this reminds me to stay strong and stay away from bleach. :)

Forgot to post about my own experiments:

Best:
1) Hair toys (sticks and forks). So incredibly comfy and secure! Now I understand why folks with bunnable hair rave about them. :D

2) Scalp-only washes between full washes - the amount of time they save is incredible! And they really cut down on mechanical damage from detangling and hygral fatigue. I think this is a "cleaner" form of refreshing scalp than dry shampoos.
If anybody is interested in how scalp-washes work, there are many methods, but I do it either the way HaarTraum does it here (from 1:30): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo or the way LauraLongLocks does it here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc (Both ladies have wonderful hair and YT tutorials, by the way)

3) gelatin + conditioner + honey + oil. This is an excellent strengthening and moisturizing pack. The combination of hydrolyzed proteins (gelatin), humectants (honey) and occlusives (oils) is simply amazing for dry/porous/damaged hair.

4) Mixing products (especially conditioners) - if one is too light, I just mix it with a heavier mask. I never got any adverse effect from mixing products like this.

5) Afro pick for damp detangling - something about the length and flexibility of tines as well as the positioning of the handle make it a great detangler for me. Standard wide-tooth combs have very short tines for me, unfortunately.

Worst:
I think I haven't had any really bad experiments this year, actually. :D Some products didn't work for me, but I mixed them into others, and they worked just fine.
But every time I try a complex braid (i.e. any braid other than English), my hair rebels and tangles massively. :( I hope to learn to tame or at least manage the beast a bit in 2015! ;)

Good report. Nice tips. I have the same problem with braids especially if they are braided close to the scalp. My curly hair despises it. I almost can get a type of matting happening at the back of my neck and just scalp washing has been a godsend to me. My hair has become so much healthier due to this alone.

Thanks
Good thread idea meteor:thumbsup:

Arete
December 26th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Best:
1) Getting rid of 'cones: My hair and scalp are so much happier!
2) Throwing out the brush and almost exclusively finger detangling: Less breakage and no poof!
3) S&D: No more trims for awhile.
4) Sticks: I can finally do buns without them hurting!
5) CWC: My hair is so much softer and manageable now.
6) Inversion method: I got an extra inch of growth in one week. Going to try again in January and hopefully I can replicate results!

Worst:
1) Water only/CO wash alternating: My scalp was NOT happy at all.
2) V05 moisture milks: Does almost nothing for my hair, makes it feel weird. The regular lines works so much better on my hair.

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 02:38 PM
Best:
Hair bag

Jacqueline101, I'm very intrigued about the "hair bag" idea. :) Do you put it over a braid or a pony? Did you find it in some specialty horses related shop? The ones that I saw online have a velcro top for securing it and that's probably not optimal for hair... Can one just make it from a smoother (silk/satin) material and is there a velco-free way of securing/tying it? Also, how does it compare to a standard sleep cap in terms of protection? Sorry for so many questions but it's a really cool idea! :D

MINAKO
December 26th, 2014, 02:48 PM
since i didnt change much throughout the year i would say laying off hairbands completely was the best thing i did for my hair in 2014. i have tons of elastics flying around but never reach for one anymore.

Beborani
December 26th, 2014, 02:59 PM
Best: Silk sleep cap--it is like a conditioning treatment probably due to neutralization of all the static.
Hennaing and indigoing few stray grey hair strands--bonus, rest of hair feel smoother and silkier. I am thankful for recipes section for learning from other people's experiences so I didn't make too many mistakes.
Kinky Curly line of products. The detangler works great on my straight fine haired daughter too.
Cassia tea--this was an accidental discovery--I find dipping my ends in this second or third day after wash keeps them silkier. Acidity? The dye? I am not sure what is the active ingredient here but it works and is cheap.

Worst: nothing, as I do things slowly and cautiously

Elly May
December 26th, 2014, 03:09 PM
Best: Washing only my scalp and just conditioning the length (every 4 to 5 days), and my hair finally being long enough to bun everyday (thus my discovery of forks and sticks!)

Worst: Trying to sleep in a braid instead of a sleep cap. Even though my braid was loose, it gave me A LOT of breakage. I am a very active sleeper who has slept on a satin pillowcase for as long as I remember, but the sleep braid was a disaster. Back to the sleep cap for me.....

divinedobbie
December 26th, 2014, 03:19 PM
Best:
Finding hair forks
Sulfate free shampoo
Resin wide(r) tooth comb
Benign neglect and regular trimming for fine hair

Worst:
Stretching washes causing major hair shed
Henna

lapushka
December 26th, 2014, 03:45 PM
As the year 2014 is quickly coming to an end, what are some of your best and worst hair care experiments/tips/products of 2014?
What care tips will you bring into the new year 2015 and what do you want to leave behind? :)

Thank you so much, guys! :D
And Happy Holidays! :flowers:

My experimenting days are long over. I stick to double conditioning post-wash and the LOC method.

KittyBird
December 26th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Best: switching to sls-free shampoo, finger detangling, LOC method, microfiber turbie twist

Worst: none of my experiments have really gone bad, but I have stopped doing a few things.. I first quit shampoo bars because my hair started feeling brittle and fragile. I started using sls shampoo instead, which worked wonderfully up until a few months ago, when my hair started feeling dry and fragile. I've also more or less stopped using my wide tooth combs. Finger detangling just works better for me. :)

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Jacqueline101, I'm very intrigued about the "hair bag" idea. :) Do you put it over a braid or a pony? Did you find it in some specialty horses related shop? The ones that I saw online have a velcro top for securing it and that's probably not optimal for hair... Can one just make it from a smoother (silk/satin) material and is there a velco-free way of securing/tying it? Also, how does it compare to a standard sleep cap in terms of protection? Sorry for so many questions but it's a really cool idea! :D

I made mine. I use breathable cotton blend fabrics. I did make a blue satin one and purple plush one. I made mine like a draw string bag no Velcro. I use a fabric tie the left over fabric and a wooden bead as a slide closure instead of tying shut. Mine goes up to the bottom of my ear lobe and my hair is always in an English braid. The only part of my hair that isn't protected is my upper head bottom ear lobes up. Sleep cap is good but my braid has to be flipped over my head and that puts kinks in my braid the hair bag keeps my hair straight.

Robot Ninja
December 26th, 2014, 04:04 PM
Best: Quattro "Starlites" fork set. Those things hold like a rock and I can even sleep with my hair in a bun now, no more braid waves!

Worst: Fuschia Manic Panic. My bathtub is still pink.

kitana97
December 26th, 2014, 04:55 PM
Best:
Shikai conditioner
Shower water filter
Wearing my hair in a low loose ponytail (been a week or so now). I don't like braiding and bunning everyday, and wearing my hair down has resulted in way too many tangles so I found a good compromise is to wear it in a low loose ponytai - regular or side. It's really cute, kind of looks like I'm wearing my hair down, and I get to skip the tangles.
Eating plant fats

Worst
Wearing my hair down everyday (busy student life) - my ends have taken a bit of a beating

lapushka
December 26th, 2014, 05:06 PM

That this dye is even allowed on the market when it stains the tub that much!

Annalouise
December 26th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Worst:
Stretching washes causing major hair shed
Henna

Interesting. I think stretching washes made me shed too.

Best:
conditioner (on length only)
drying hair with a t-shirt instead of a towel
aubrey's organic leave in serum and detangler spray

Worst:
stretching washes
oiling my scalp

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Jacqueline101, thank you so very much for sharing the details on how to make a hair bag! :flower: I'll definitely need to look into that process when I have some time and get some sewing supplies.

Best:
[...]
Wearing my hair in a low loose ponytail (been a week or so now). I don't like braiding and bunning everyday, and wearing my hair down has resulted in way too many tangles so I found a good compromise is to wear it in a low loose ponytai - regular or side. It's really cute, kind of looks like I'm wearing my hair down, and I get to skip the tangles.
I can really relate, kitana97! I get sick and tired of wearing the same bun every single day... I think I'll start wearing a ponytail sometimes, too. After all, I always wore a ponytail as a kid and my hair was long and shiny, regardless. It's probably not that damaging, if you use soft elastics and take care of the length.
I'm also really looking forward to being able to do something like a "comet" bun (knot bun with a ponytail).

wilderwein
December 26th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Jacqueline101, thank you so very much for sharing the details on how to make a hair bag! :flower: I'll definitely need to look into that process when I have some time and get some sewing supplies.

I can really relate, kitana97! I get sick and tired of wearing the same bun every single day... I think I'll start wearing a ponytail sometimes, too. After all, I always wore a ponytail as a kid and my hair was long and shiny, regardless. It's probably not that damaging, if you use soft elastics and take care of the length.
I'm also really looking forward to being able to do something like a "comet" bun (knot bun with a ponytail).

if you find the way for that hair style please let us now!

pixldust
December 26th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Let's see...

The good stuff:
Using the WCC method. This has been an absolute revelation and I wouldn't stop using it now.

Stretching washes to twice a week. I have tried for longer but my hair gets dry and tangly at the ends. I think it needs to be wet more frequently than once a week or so.

Putting a dab of castor oil on my scalp before washing. It seems to have eliminated the bits of dandruff I used to get in my front hairline.

The not so good stuff:

Adding EO to shampoo. My scalp didn't mind but unfortunately the skin on my forehead objected.

Using anything with protein in more than a few times in a row. That includes trying a coconut oil based surfactant shampoo which I really liked but which after a couple of weeks left my hair super snappy and tangly. That was a very recent one and thankfully my hair is settling down now I've gone back to my old shampoo.

CoveredByLove
December 26th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Worst: going no poo. After 2-3 months I ended up with straw instead of hair. :-/

Best: LOC method! Loving mineral oil as my "O" :D

battles
December 26th, 2014, 06:04 PM
Best:
Gelatin treatments. AMAZING.
Sticking with 'cones. I love them.

Worst:
Stretching washes *too* far. Ugh.
Trying oil again.
Cutting bangs in again.

swearnsue
December 26th, 2014, 06:19 PM
My best experiment was trying Pantene products. Ice Shine shampoo and Overnight Repair Serums are my favorites.

The worst was taking Selenium supplements, I took too much and had a huge shed.

Learned this year that conditioner should only be left on my scalp for a few seconds before rinsing, or not used on my scalp at all. Also that combing instead of brushing works for me.

jacqueline101
December 26th, 2014, 06:30 PM

You're welcomed. They're easy to make I have 19 of them.

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 06:43 PM

if you find the way for that hair style please let us now!

Sure thing! :D
I found a few to practice with:
torrin paige did her knot bun here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=JiGTXkUhFKE but it requires significant length.
LauraLongLocks did her 2 knot ponytails/pigtails here and it can be done on shorter hair: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=gBg72CxpZ9g
kmemuse did 4 knot-bun variations with a ponytail option here: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=cXXzzXjtYOg and she also did a Victorian style from "the Prestige" movie that will give that effect of a bun + side ponytail: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=kFTXQzIY-Ms
Emi longhairedatheart did her variations on the knot bun (including a pony option): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=1pI9s3EvB3w

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 06:55 PM
The good stuff:
Stretching washes to twice a week. I have tried for longer but my hair gets dry and tangly at the ends. I think it needs to be wet more frequently than once a week or so.
Putting a dab of castor oil on my scalp before washing. It seems to have eliminated the bits of dandruff I used to get in my front hairline.

I picked up a tip from natural curly haircare that if your scalp doesn't need to be washed (lucky!) but your hair is super-dry and in need of moisture, you can simply spray some water on it and seal with oil/cream or do a mini-LOC of sorts. I think it could definitely help in super-dry weather, if you need to leave your scalp alone but your ends are parched.

And about adding EOs, I agree, it so often does more harm than good :( , especially if it's not properly tested and heavily diluted in carrier/base oil.

Nadine <3
December 26th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Best things:

Ditching 'cones.
Satin pillow case. I'm in love with mine!
Claw clips! My hair goes up and I don't have to fiddle with sticks that won't stay.
Tiny terry cloth hair ties. They have them at the dollar store, 300 for a dollar and they don't shred my ends like every other hair tie!
Gelatin! Amazing results on my fine hair.
My wide tooth wooden comb. Never using anything else!
Wrapping my hair in a t shirt instead of rubbing it with a towel. I'm embarrassed that I ever thought that could possibly be a good idea..
Getting a few massive fuzzy robes for DT's in the wintertime! Highly recommended :)

Worst:
CO washing. GAH, what an over-moisturized mess that was. My scalp hated it too.
Oiling my scalp.
Brushing with a BBB. I lost an epic amount of hair and I'm convinced it caused some gnarly splits.
Trying to use aloe vera gel as a leave in...um, yeah...hello cotton candy hair!

Thankfully it looks like I'd found more good than bad! :)

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 07:48 PM
Great list, Nadine <3!

Wrapping my hair in a t shirt instead of rubbing it with a towel. I'm embarrassed that I ever thought that could possibly be a good idea..

He-he, nothing to be embarrassed about! :D I used to do that, too, just because I was conditioned by others and never questioned it pre-LHC. And I bet most people still do it that way! I mean, I still see it in hair commercials, right up there with piling long hair on top of head and rubbing it like mad!

And has anybody heard of wrapping hair in silk scarf/cloth while it's drying? I can't imagine that it would absorb moisture fast, but I've heard that it's one of those ancient Asian hair tips. :hmm:

Nadine <3
December 26th, 2014, 07:58 PM
Great list, Nadine <3!

He-he, nothing to be embarrassed about! :D I used to do that, too, just because I was conditioned by others and never questioned it pre-LHC. And I bet most people still do it that way! I mean, I still see it in hair commercials, right up there with piling long hair on top of head and rubbing it like mad!

And has anybody heard of wrapping hair in silk scarf/cloth while it's drying? I can't imagine that it would absorb moisture fast, but I've heard that it's one of those ancient Asian hair tips. :hmm:

My mom does it! Her hair has been in a bob for 6 month (hasn't gotten any longer, no trimming :eek:) because of how she treats it. She won't let me help her, so I just plug my ears while she's brushing. RIIIIIP RIIIIP RIIIIPPP!! Poor hair.

Never heard of wrapping it in silk while it dries but I imagine if you can actually get it to be dry, it could be great for reducing frizz...I have a feeling my hair would just stay wet haha

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 08:27 PM
Sorry about the situation with your mom, Nadine <3. :( Parents can sometimes ignore their kids' great advice, simply because they might want an unrelated "authority" to weigh in. I don't know, if my mom wanted to grow out her hair but ignored all my advice, I'd probably find a good YouTube video with some super-long-hair or some good trichologist showing/talking about hair care in a sensible way and I'd just show it to my mom. Or I'd show her some scientific research on hair damage from rough brushing. Obviously, it wouldn't work for everyone, but it might work. :)

Nadine <3
December 26th, 2014, 08:52 PM
Sorry about the situation with your mom, Nadine <3. :( Parents can sometimes ignore their kids' great advice, simply because they might want an unrelated "authority" to weigh in. I don't know, if my mom wanted to grow out her hair but ignored all my advice, I'd probably find a good YouTube video with some super-long-hair or some good trichologist showing/talking about hair care in a sensible way and I'd just show it to my mom. Or I'd show her some scientific research on hair damage from rough brushing. Obviously, it wouldn't work for everyone, but it might work. :)

Meh. I've shown her some things, but she'd rather do it her way. She thinks super long hair is weird...good thing she'll never have to deal with it at the rate she's going LOL She's nice about my hair though, compliments how soft/shiny it is, tells me she likes my updos and stuff, so it's not an issue. Different tastes, but we're civil about it lol

Hotrox
December 26th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Best

6 months of complete benign neglect, just up everyday and forgotten about. It grew a lot in this period.
Alternating between moisturizing and protein conditioners, my curls benefit from both but using them separately results in either dry hair or a reduction in curl definition.
Learning how to bun with sticks
Using HE hello hydration conditioner as a leave in, love this product :)

Worst

Trying coconut oil again, my hair hates it, however much and technique I use
Rosehip oil started out great but left my ends sticky after a while

I need to learn that my hair does not enjoy oils and stop experimenting with them!!

Flowerness
December 26th, 2014, 10:38 PM
Sorry, but I hope it is okay if I join in...

My worst:

Coconut oil on my hair (makes it crispy! Too bad, too, it is awesome on skin!)
Co-washing- makes me shed a ton!
Conditioner on my scalp- greasy weighed down day 2 hair w/ a lot of shedding

My best:

Pre-shampoo olive oil- hello happy, shiny hair!
Shampoo on top, conditioner on length (except when I clarify, then I shampoo all of my hair)
Hair oils w/ silicone (thank you Garnier! I have shine now!)
Freye's method for cutting hair- I now have a blunt cut (instead of a V, which ended up off center last time I trimmed before I found help via LHC!)
ACV rinse- love. Love it so much, for every once in a while & it helps scalp issues wonderfully!

Thanks for all the wonderful tips and help LHC!

Halliday
December 26th, 2014, 11:04 PM
best:
no more cones
patience
braiding

worst:
cowashing
brushing

Nadine <3
December 26th, 2014, 11:10 PM
I thought of another. Cutting straight acrossed bangs was a pretty bad idea. I mean if I styled them daily they where great, but I usually woke up to this.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7485/16114738101_4a2888503e.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qy1fd6)140717-141239 (https://flic.kr/p/qy1fd6) by nadineschommer (https://www.flickr.com/people/127268164@N08/), on Flickr

HOW?! How are they even DOING that?! Thank goodness they've grown a lot since then haha!

RachelRose
December 26th, 2014, 11:36 PM
Worst: no poo , it gave me my first case of dandruff and severe itchy scalp. It took months to normalize .
Cowashing ,made me shed,gave me lank hair , and itchy scalp. No cones , made my hair tangly and unmanageable . Protein treatments, made my hair dry , snap, and split.

Best: cones, mineral oil, wide tooth comb only, satin pillowcase, henna, and wetting and sealing ends between washes, and last but not least s&d treatments

tokugawa.miyako
December 26th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Best:
Starting to use a BBB every morning.
Pre-Conditioning with Jojoba oil; my ends feel so much better.
Learning how to do updos with ficcare and hairsticks; makes my life so much simpler and allows me to only use elastics sparingly.

Worst:
No poo; Not "bad" per se, it just didn't do anything for me.
EVOO; My hair just didn't like it, it turned out looking limp, greasy looking and gross. :disgust:

All around, this year has come out to a net positive in the hair department. :D

tokugawa.miyako
December 26th, 2014, 11:45 PM

It's interesting to hear someone else say this! I've been using red semi-perm hair dye for years and I've noticed that pink/purples toned reds stain much more than more orange-y reds. I have no idea why this is. I'm pretty sure the bathtub caulk at my old apartment is still pink.

divinedobbie
December 27th, 2014, 12:16 AM
My mom does it! Her hair has been in a bob for 6 month (hasn't gotten any longer, no trimming :eek:) because of how she treats it. She won't let me help her, so I just plug my ears while she's brushing. RIIIIIP RIIIIP RIIIIPPP!! Poor hair.

Never heard of wrapping it in silk while it dries but I imagine if you can actually get it to be dry, it could be great for reducing frizz...I have a feeling my hair would just stay wet haha

Oh gosh I can relate. I have a roommate with very pretty waist length hair...except that half the length is tattered. And I attribute it solely to the way she rips her brush through her hair several times a day. I can hear her hairs snapping all the way from my room!

arr
December 27th, 2014, 12:28 AM
Best: LOC method with mineral oil as the final step to seal everything in.

Worst: (and I hate to even reveal this because I should know better) Soaking my hair in a mixture of 20 volume developer, baking soda and conditioner as a way to lighten a too dark hair coloring job. My hair was a rough tangly disaster until I figured out I needed to do an apple cider vinegar rinse to smooth the cuticle down and even then it took some time until it felt back to normal. And in the end it hardly made a difference in the color anyway.

Arete
December 27th, 2014, 02:09 AM
Oh gosh I can relate. I have a roommate with very pretty waist length hair...except that half the length is tattered. And I attribute it solely to the way she rips her brush through her hair several times a day. I can hear her hairs snapping all the way from my room!
My roommate too! She was at BCL our freshman year, but now she's only BSL and says she hasn't done more then trim it a couple times per year. It's got to be the vigourous brushing 3+ times per day. She's got very fine 1b hair that breaks easily. My long-hair-lover heart hurts to see it abused :p

wilderwein
December 27th, 2014, 02:49 AM
I thought of another. Cutting straight acrossed bangs was a pretty bad idea. I mean if I styled them daily they where great, but I usually woke up to this.
https://farm8.staticflickr.com/7485/16114738101_4a2888503e.jpg (https://flic.kr/p/qy1fd6)140717-141239 (https://flic.kr/p/qy1fd6) by nadineschommer (https://www.flickr.com/people/127268164@N08/), on Flickr

HOW?! How are they even DOING that?! Thank goodness they've grown a lot since then haha!

I believe I know how! o_ohttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-y2WW4j_LvDM/Uoj0khg0F3I/AAAAAAAACKo/OtwzQ3TE8ak/s1600/cowlick.png

pixldust
December 27th, 2014, 05:03 AM
I picked up a tip from natural curly haircare that if your scalp doesn't need to be washed (lucky!) but your hair is super-dry and in need of moisture, you can simply spray some water on it and seal with oil/cream or do a mini-LOC of sorts. I think it could definitely help in super-dry weather, if you need to leave your scalp alone but your ends are parched.

And about adding EOs, I agree, it so often does more harm than good :( , especially if it's not properly tested and heavily diluted in carrier/base oil.

Good tip, thanks meteor, I'll definitely be trying that. Yeah, no more EO experimentation for me! :D

Johannah
December 27th, 2014, 05:51 AM
I believe I know how! o_ohttp://4.bp.blogspot.com/-y2WW4j_LvDM/Uoj0khg0F3I/AAAAAAAACKo/OtwzQ3TE8ak/s1600/cowlick.png

Oh my... NOW I GET IT.

Begemot
December 27th, 2014, 06:39 AM
I discovered my best hair experiment of 2014 couple of months ago and that would be rosemary! I shed less and my roots are so shiny. And the scent is divine.
The summer of '14 I failed pretty miserably to protect my hair. I had such high hopes and many plans for my hair and still ended up with having it get dry and sad by neglecting it grossly. Won't be missing all the shedding and flaking this year was all about I think...
Next year I will accomplish my long time, ultimate goal of having waist length virgin hair. I wish to thicken my hair, have nice and neat hemline and continue to avoid heat at all costs.

Happy holidays everyone!

sarahthegemini
December 27th, 2014, 06:39 AM
Worst: Stretching washes
Best: Washing my hair when it needs washing!

MINAKO
December 27th, 2014, 07:33 AM
i forgot to name a worst, which is probably not even related to results on my hair, but some months ago i mixed 400ml of green tea oil extract, macadamia nut, shea butter and castor oil and other good stuff and then dropped the entire jar when it didjust sit long enough. too pissed at the money i wasted to make another batch since then.

kitcatsmeow
December 27th, 2014, 08:45 AM
Best: Greenhouse effect and inversion method.

Worst: Going all over platinum. It's waaaay too high maintenance and I'm actually on my way to the salon shortly to get a nice color melt/ombre. EEEPPP!!!

Nadine <3
December 27th, 2014, 09:33 AM

:laugh: Bad cow! BAAAD!

chomsky
December 27th, 2014, 09:48 AM
This year has come and gone so fast!

Worst:
- Bleaching the ends
- Dying said bleached ends several times
- Trialing a heat protector that then led to root-to-tip heat damage and ends that broke when I moved my head.
- CO, made my scalp cry

Best:
- Finally finding out what's up with my scalp! No more misdiagnosed eczema/psoriasis prescriptions...
- Deep conditioning
- Pre-poos
- Cutting off the heat damage
- The hardest experiment of all, learning to love my natural texture, in all its mismatched texture glory!

Happy Holidays all!

woodswanderer
December 27th, 2014, 10:02 AM
Best: figured out a leave in spray with glycerin for summer, and leave in spray with mineral oil for winter

Worst: trying a "tangle free" hairbrush

vivianne
December 27th, 2014, 10:21 AM
best:
-leaving away the cones
-CO or very light shampooing
-braids or sleeping cap at night
-letting grow out my nhc (wow! that´s me? WOW!)
-surfing with bun and cap on it - my hair likes ocean water but needs very high sun protection
-discover hair toys... omg... i got into a new world...
-no haircuts

worst: i will never again try an unknown shampoo at a friend. tangles everywhere and days to get rid of them waaaaa..

meteor
December 27th, 2014, 01:11 PM
Nadine <3, dare I say, you've got such gorgeous blue eyes! :D And experiences like yours with bangs is what always kept me from cutting my own. I imagine bangs are, by definition, pretty high maintenance (more washing, more styling).

Sorry, but I hope it is okay if I join in...
But of course, Flowerness! :D Everybody is more than welcome to join in! :)

My best:
[...]Hair oils w/ silicone (thank you Garnier! I have shine now!)
Freye's method for cutting hair- I now have a blunt cut (instead of a V, which ended up off center last time I trimmed before I found help via LHC!)
:agree: I gotta say, those GF shine serums are amazing and they tend to be pretty well formulated. Seriously better than the overpriced MoroccanOil and MacademiaOil serums.
As for Faye's self-trim method, wow, congrats on your success! And thanks for the reminder! :) I forgot I really want to try it, even though I'm afraid I'd mess it up somehow.

My roommate too! She was at BCL our freshman year, but now she's only BSL and says she hasn't done more then trim it a couple times per year. It's got to be the vigourous brushing 3+ times per day. She's got very fine 1b hair that breaks easily. My long-hair-lover heart hurts to see it abused :p
I used to be horrible to my hair in university: just like what you are describing with the brush, never even conditioning hair ('cause, you know, who has time for that?), and then surprised why my hair felt like straw and had splits with all that bleach! Oh well, live and learn! :lol:

Worst: (and I hate to even reveal this because I should know better) Soaking my hair in a mixture of 20 volume developer, baking soda and conditioner as a way to lighten a too dark hair coloring job. My hair was a rough tangly disaster until I figured out I needed to do an apple cider vinegar rinse to smooth the cuticle down and even then it took some time until it felt back to normal. And in the end it hardly made a difference in the color anyway.
Oh no! So sorry about that. :grouphug: But how did you recover after all that? Did any hair products/methods help? Damage control is so very tricky with hair, so any tips would be helpful.

I discovered my best hair experiment of 2014 couple of months ago and that would be rosemary! I shed less and my roots are so shiny. And the scent is divine.
Oh cool! :D I know rosemary is very good for promoting healthy hair growth and healthy scalp. How do you use it: do you do a tea rinse or infused oil or add it to conditioner or something? And what ratios do you use?

Ferngear
December 27th, 2014, 02:01 PM
Best
-Weekly deep conditioning
-Finding a shampoo and conditioner that I love: Andalou Naturals Moisturizing.... mmmm, smells yummy!
-Honey! Gods, I love honey for everything!
-Finding a better routine: scalp only shampoo, all over conditioner, protein and honey mask once a month or when I feel like a home spa.

Worst
-Trying CO washes.... my scalp did not like that at all, too oily.
-Organix Coconut Milk: I still use the conditioner for slippage mixed with my Andalou Naturals, but I can't use just that as the 'cones weight my hair down and straighten it out.
-Finding a better routine: somehow I've turned into a girly-girl, fussing with my hair in the mirror, talking about products, getting special combs/brushes, etc. Tomboy me is horrified, new girly me wants a unicorn.

Ferngear
December 27th, 2014, 02:02 PM
Oh cool! :D I know rosemary is very good for promoting healthy hair growth and healthy scalp. How do you use it: do you do a tea rinse or infused oil or add it to conditioner or something? And what ratios do you use?

You can add 10-15 drops of essential oil to a bottle of shampoo/conditioner. Less is more with oils. Peppermint is good, too, as it increases circulation.

meteor
December 27th, 2014, 02:48 PM
Best: Greenhouse effect and inversion method.
Those are very interesting, and I can see how they would increase hair growth due to heat and humidity (greenhouse effect) and massage and increased circulation (inversion method). Can you tell us how you go about them and how often you use these methods? :)

Worst:
[...]- Trialing a heat protector that then led to root-to-tip heat damage and ends that broke when I moved my head.
Yikes! High heat is damaging, of course, but this is the first time I've heard of heat protectant damaging hair! What's the product or ingredients? I'm really curious about heat protectants and what makes them work or not work.

Worst
-Finding a better routine: somehow I've turned into a girly-girl, fussing with my hair in the mirror, talking about products, getting special combs/brushes, etc. Tomboy me is horrified, new girly me wants a unicorn.
:lol: This might be one of the relatively standard side-effects of the LHC, right up there with loving pretty hair-toys. ;)

chomsky
December 27th, 2014, 03:48 PM
Yikes! High heat is damaging, of course, but this is the first time I've heard of heat protectant damaging hair! What's the product or ingredients? I'm really curious about heat protectants and what makes them work or not work.

It was one of those liquid-y spray ones (Got2Be by Schwartzkropf?). To try it out and compare it, I put it on half of my hair and the other half, my normal serum. The sizzle was the worst part. The outcome was quite funny though, one smooth side, the other a frizzy spilt mess! It was great though, in a weird way, found this website in the process of trying to get it better, stopped using all forms of heat (7/8 months in now!). Dark clouds with linings and all! Haha :)

battles
December 27th, 2014, 03:56 PM
Best
-Weekly deep conditioning
-Finding a shampoo and conditioner that I love: Andalou Naturals Moisturizing.... mmmm, smells yummy!
-Honey! Gods, I love honey for everything!
-Finding a better routine: scalp only shampoo, all over conditioner, protein and honey mask once a month or when I feel like a home spa.

Worst
-Trying CO washes.... my scalp did not like that at all, too oily.
-Organix Coconut Milk: I still use the conditioner for slippage mixed with my Andalou Naturals, but I can't use just that as the 'cones weight my hair down and straighten it out.

Are you me? I've always been a bit of a tomboy and became super girly the past few years. Even started wearing makeup and perfume, and only dresses recently. Discovering glittery eyeshadow as a 25 year old woman, oh gosh. :doh: 50/50 on the unicorn?

höpönasu
December 27th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Best hair experiments in 2014 get my hair trimmed in a saloon. I recently saw two pics of me taken the same day I had my hair trimmed and my ends looked SO good! Another good one was henna even though I know I won't be dyeing my roots as often as I should. Might only darken/change the color and let my hair grow along the way.

Worst hair experiment was trying out a shampoo and condish and they tangled my hair so badly. I threw them in trash right away.

Pretty good year I'd say. (:

lapushka
December 27th, 2014, 04:36 PM

Oh I feel ya on the bangs. Back when I still had a pixie, many many many years ago, my entire head used to do that. :o :lol:

Kendrix
December 27th, 2014, 04:43 PM
best hair experiment was learning how to use hairsticks. My hair was waist length and becoming impossible to manage, pony tails would either give me headaches or fall out and I was tired of losing bobby pins. WORST experiment was oiling with olive oil as a conditioning treatment. It made my hair stick together like it was perpetually wet even though I washed it out and it was horrible.

Kendrix
December 27th, 2014, 04:48 PM
best hair experiment was learning how to use hairsticks. My hair was waist length and becoming impossible to manage, pony tails would either give me headaches or fall out and I was tired of losing bobby pins. WORST experiment was oiling with olive oil as a conditioning treatment. It made my hair stick together like it was perpetually wet even though I washed it out and it was horrible.

another GREAT experiment was tying my braid off with waxed dental floss instead of a hairband. I always braid right down to the ends and I hate that horrible crimp from the hairband or losing the hairband because it was thicker than they end of my braid. the wrapped and tied floss stays right in place and doesn't cause horrible crimping on my ends :]

FrostedLoki
December 27th, 2014, 05:21 PM
BEST:
* Using conditioner only on every other wash instead of every wash. Now my hair is less greasy! :D
* Throwing out the bad-for-me curling iron. Got a high-quality ceramic straighter/hair iron for Christmas but have decided to limit uses only to once or twice a month.

WORST:
* Attempting organic shampoo instead of the drugstore/supermarket regular stuff. Holy hair grease, Batman!
* My hair getting heavy enough for my favourite hairstick (a hard carved dragon) to BEND. Yeah, it's slanted now. o.O
* The painful process of going back to my natural hair colour, trying to strip out the black just left me w/hair that was damanged and had to be cared for a lot. I actually miss the black and will probably wait a while w/fresh growth than go for indigo.

two_wheels
December 27th, 2014, 05:24 PM
Worst: shampoo bars, ugh. Tangly sticky mess, with or without vinegar rinse. Not good with London water, I guess.
Best: LOC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167), took me a few tries to get quantities correct but now, goodbye frizz!

Sock-eater
December 27th, 2014, 05:36 PM
Best: Buying a tangle teaser. I have so much less breakage now I don't know how I've lived so long without it! I did love my boar bristle before then, but I lost it in a cinema once and it cost so much that when I was a student I had a cheap brush which was awful.

Worst: Deciding that I would experiment cutting layers into my hair "I wonder how many layers I can do before it doesn't look good... oh, 7 apparently". Stupid idea as now my ends are VERY fairytale! Still, it will grow out eventually.

meteor
December 27th, 2014, 06:21 PM
It was one of those liquid-y spray ones (Got2Be by Schwartzkropf?). To try it out and compare it, I put it on half of my hair and the other half, my normal serum. The sizzle was the worst part. The outcome was quite funny though, one smooth side, the other a frizzy spilt mess! It was great though, in a weird way, found this website in the process of trying to get it better, stopped using all forms of heat (7/8 months in now!). Dark clouds with linings and all! Haha :)

:agree: Yes, it's A LOT better to not use any heat at all than heat + heat protectant. And lots of us have come to the LHC after a major hair crisis and in search of damage control - it's such a magical place for hair restoration.
Congratulations on having completely kicked the heat addiction! :applause

Ferngear
December 27th, 2014, 06:54 PM
Are you me? I've always been a bit of a tomboy and became super girly the past few years. Even started wearing makeup and perfume, and only dresses recently. Discovering glittery eyeshadow as a 25 year old woman, oh gosh. :doh: 50/50 on the unicorn?

I'm 35, far more set in my no-frills ways. I've been really into laces the last year, too, and Victorian interior design. It started with the hair, now it's snowballing out of control.

Thought of another best:
-Apple cider vinegar! Man does that smell, but I love how it gets that hard water out!

Imalath
December 27th, 2014, 07:07 PM
My best discoveries of 2014:

1) Finally getting a TT. Makes detangling fast and stress free.
2) Wearing my hair up every day, and braiding it at night.
3) LOC

Things left behind in 2014:

1) Sulfate-Free and cone-free products. My hair loves them. Unfortunately, so does my SD
2) Stretching washes to once a week. 2x works better.
3) Coconut oil pre-poo. As an occasional treatment, my hair loves it. On a regular basis...eh not so much.
4) Microtrimming. Even with good shears, I managed to fray my ends. I will just visit a local hairdresser for bigger trims a few times next year.
5) Satin bonnet. I sleep better on a silk pillowcase.

mariechin1234
December 27th, 2014, 07:59 PM
I've learned that I should not use any clips, ties, and ribbons to my hear. Use conditioner after wash and do hair treatment weekly.

mariechin1234
December 27th, 2014, 08:00 PM
What I meant was hair. Thank you.

picklepie
December 28th, 2014, 03:31 PM
Best:
Growing out my bangs to a manageable length at last!
Wearing my hair up (LWB on top of my head) every day, with about two days down.
Discovering how great it is washing hair with the shower sprayer, bent over the tub.
Starting cones for the first time ever. Less curl, but so many fewer tangles.

Worst:
Leave-in conditioners. Experimented with five or six. All left my hair sticky and tangly.

lapushka
December 28th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Worst:
Leave-in conditioners. Experimented with five or six. All left my hair sticky and tangly.

Have you tried the got2b "smooth operator" leave-in yet? It works for my hair, and doesn't leave it sticky. But as always, YMMV.

meteor
December 28th, 2014, 05:19 PM
Worst:

I find leave-ins to be tricky, too. They can be hit-or-miss. I think a lot depends on the texture/base of the product: some people's hair works well with a watery spray, others with a mousse, still others with serum/oil, or cream, or gel or a combination of the above... I have a problem distributing it well and I tend to load too much leave-in on wet hair. So often I apply leave-in only on dry hair, or even a few days after a wash, when the ends are looking dry.

Eastbound&Down
December 28th, 2014, 05:29 PM
I tried CO for a while and then cone free, but neither worked well for me. S/C every three days to once a week works best for my hair.

winship2
December 28th, 2014, 07:20 PM
Stretching washes was both the best and worst for me :( I loved how smooth the length was, but I ended up with baaad dandruff, which I never get!! Now I'm feeling down because my ends are high-maintenance and feeling damaged again.

picklepie
December 28th, 2014, 07:23 PM
Have you tried the got2b "smooth operator" leave-in yet? It works for my hair, and doesn't leave it sticky. But as always, YMMV.

Not yet! Thanks for the enable; I'll pick some up. I remember liking some product or other from them, a hundred years ago.

picklepie
December 28th, 2014, 07:26 PM
I have a problem distributing it well and I tend to load too much leave-in on wet hair. So often I apply leave-in only on dry hair, or even a few days after a wash, when the ends are looking dry.

This is a good strategy. I don't do muchanipulation between washes, but a spray might work....

meteor
December 28th, 2014, 07:38 PM
Stretching washes was both the best and worst for me :( I loved how smooth the length was, but I ended up with baaad dandruff, which I never get!! Now I'm feeling down because my ends are high-maintenance and feeling damaged again.

I have that problem too :) : fussy scalp that loves to be always clean and dry/porous ends that hate being overwashed. I recommend trying scalp-only washes to tide you over between full-on washes: diluted shampoo on scalp with hair bunned/braided and covered with a shower cap. I was really skeptical at first, but I was surprised how well I can wash my scalp without disturbing my length - and it's a lot easier than it looks.
I follow this method presented by the lovely HaarTraum (from 1:30): https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VwREj8Kadlo
or this one by the lovely LauraLongLocks: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7VBOVM-dHlc

winship2
December 28th, 2014, 08:24 PM
Thanks Meteor, I think this is likely to be very appropriate for me :)

MJ1972
December 29th, 2014, 12:05 AM

How do you use these products, Meteor, and what ratios do you use? I'm very interested in using gelatin on my dry, thin, fine hair. Any tips on how to use it would be very welcome.

As for my own 2014 discoveries...

Good
-- Conditioner-only washing (although I'm about to start experimenting with heavily diluted scalp-only shampoo washing as my favourite conditioner seems to have gone out of production)
-- Olive oil pre-poo
-- Silk pillowcase

Bad
-- Any form of leave-in (believe me, I've tried many)

What I intend to change in 2015
-- More regular olive oil pre-poo
-- More protein treatments
-- Scalp-only washing
-- Wide-tooth comb

Anje
December 29th, 2014, 09:37 AM
My routine is mostly settled, in that I have a general idea of what my hair does and does not go for. (Oil shampoo: Never again!!!) But I love trying new stuff out all the same, even though I usually revert to my ultra-cheap shampoo and conditioner before long.

Worst thing I did to my hair this year?
Well...... I was sick of the stupid neck hair. Particularly on the right side, where it grows abnormally far forward, almost to below my ear. So I got out the clippers to trim it off.... (You know where this is going.) Took off too much. Now I'm stuck regrowing it and I've got a ~4 inch tuft that sticks straight out from my neck when my hair is up and doesn't quite manage to stay in braids.
Leave the neck hairs alone!!!! This is SO much worse!

Best thing I did this year?
Well, for years I've been maintaining my length in the tailbone-ish zone. Trim it back every few months. Seemed like it was thin at that point, so I just sort of kept it there. Well, at about the beginning of the year, I chopped off a bit more than usual, taking it maybe an inch above BCL. And then I pretty much didn't even trim it until November, when I took off just a smidge from the leading hairs. I'm almost at classic, and I've got a BIG caboose -- big enough that defining "classic" might be a bit arbitrary, but I'll know when I'm definitely past it. I had no idea my hair was growing quite that fast still.... So anyway, "no trims" was a better choice still than I realized, my ends are still thicker than I expected, and my hair is longer than I've had it before. I'll pass classic sometime next year, and at this rate I might have fingertip length by the end of 2015.

ETA:
Other stuff?
Adore dye is fun, if perhaps a little protein-rich for my picky hair. Leaving purple dye on brownish hair for 3 hours instead of the suggested 15 minutes gives results that are much closer to black than purple, though. XD

I still like henna, but I need to remember to do glosses instead of slathering all my hair with mud.

Amodimethicone on its own isn't too bad -- it still seems like it's the volatile silicones that dry my hair out. But I still prefer BTMS to silicones for slip.

Once you're in a shampoo habit, it's hard to go back to CO. I don't have bangs anymore (they even stay back most of the time!), but I'm still shampooing my scalp. :/

My hair has thickened again. I don't know how that happened. When I joined LHC back in 2007, I had 2 1/4 inches (5.7 cm) circumference. It crept up to about 2 1/2 in (6.3 cm) with gentle handling and there it stayed for years. However, when I most recently measured (with those barely-staying bangs included), I had 2 7/8 inches (7.3 cm). I'm nearly to the midpoint of ii! It's amazing. My hair has never seemed so thick. Large ficcares fit without pulling, even on days where my hair hasn't been freshly washed or worn in a braid so it's all fluffy. I'm sure length helps with the Ficcare thing, but still... NEARLY 3 INCHES!!!
ETA2: Because I'm a nerd, I calculated it out. Area of the ponytail is how you actually figure hair volume changes... If I banged this out right, I've had a 63% increase in how much hair I have since I joined LHC. That's rather epic.

Zin79
December 29th, 2014, 03:23 PM
I planned to trim 1/2 inches and start to grow my mid-BSL hair to waist length but my dad cut 5 inches at least and it's already been 6 months since the "trim" and I'm struggling to grow my hair back to my past hair length. FML. >.<

Elly May
December 29th, 2014, 03:37 PM
I thought of more....

Best:
Waiting until my hair is dry to detangle after a wash. I can't believe how well this works for me!
Coconut oil on the length, especially the ends. In fact, coconut oil head to toe...almost....

Worst:
Coconut oil on my scalp. Massive shed...multiple times until I figured it out....

meteor
December 29th, 2014, 03:49 PM
How do you use these products, Meteor, and what ratios do you use? I'm very interested in using gelatin on my dry, thin, fine hair. Any tips on how to use it would be very welcome.

Sure! :)
I follow more or less this recipe: http://science-yhairblog.blogspot.ca/2014/04/gelatin-protein-treatment-recipe-update.html
-1/4 to 1/2 cup hot water (60-120 ml)
-1 packet Knox unflavored gelatin powder (0.25 oz, 7.2 grams, 2 1/2 teaspoons)

I mix these until the gelatin is completely dissolved, then add:
- a teaspoon of honey,
- a teaspoon or less of oil(s), and
- conditioner (coney or cone-free) - enough to make the mixture creamy and easy for you to apply, any amount really.

I leave it on for 30-40 minutes.
I only do this every few months or so.
When the weather is very dry and my hair is parched, I prefer to use less gelatin and more moisturizing oil and honey.

I think the ratios should change significantly depending on how damaged the hair is. 30 minutes and a whole packet of Knox may be too much for many folks, but I have a lot of hair and it has some old bleach damage. You can start with just half-a-packet and leave it on for just 5 minutes.

missblueeyes
December 29th, 2014, 04:06 PM
The best of 2014:
Joining LHC :wink:
Wearing my hair up at night
Deciding to grow out my natural haircolour 6 months ago
Accepting that my hair loves 'cones and SLS
CWC
S&D! I haven't had a cut in aaaages.

The worst of 2014:
Going from blonde to brown and back to (platinum) blonde. :brickwall
CO
Shampoo Bars
Cone-free shampoos
CO
Decided to get straight across bangs (again)

wilderwein
December 29th, 2014, 04:19 PM
since is still 2014
worst: I found this week that my ends don't like to be in a bun for more than 1-2 days without detangling them

meteor
December 29th, 2014, 05:34 PM
Best thing I did this year?
Well, for years I've been maintaining my length in the tailbone-ish zone. Trim it back every few months. Seemed like it was thin at that point, so I just sort of kept it there. Well, at about the beginning of the year, I chopped off a bit more than usual, taking it maybe an inch above BCL. And then I pretty much didn't even trim it until November, when I took off just a smidge from the leading hairs. I'm almost at classic, and I've got a BIG caboose -- big enough that defining "classic" might be a bit arbitrary, but I'll know when I'm definitely past it. I had no idea my hair was growing quite that fast still.... So anyway, "no trims" was a better choice still than I realized, my ends are still thicker than I expected, and my hair is longer than I've had it before. I'll pass classic sometime next year, and at this rate I might have fingertip length by the end of 2015.

Yay! Congratulations! :D And I, too, get the best growth and length retention from no-trim challenges, though I know many others do best with regular trims. To me, wearing hair up is the game changer for length retention.

Amodimethicone on its own isn't too bad -- it still seems like it's the volatile silicones that dry my hair out. But I still prefer BTMS to silicones for slip.

I think I like Amodimethicone and Behentrimonium Methosulfate, too. :) What are the products you like? And do you know if there is any reason to worry about build-up from BTMS, being a cationic quaternary compound and a self-emulsifying wax? Or are they less problematic than cones?

I sometimes have problems with volatile silicones, too, and I wonder if it's because of the volatile cones themselves or just because the volatile silicones I found in products were always accompanied by a heavy dose of water-insoluble cones, since volatile silicones are usually added just to spread out other ingredients in a very even way to induce slip and shine...? :hmm:

My hair has thickened again. I don't know how that happened. When I joined LHC back in 2007, I had 2 1/4 inches (5.7 cm) circumference. It crept up to about 2 1/2 in (6.3 cm) with gentle handling and there it stayed for years. However, when I most recently measured (with those barely-staying bangs included), I had 2 7/8 inches (7.3 cm). I'm nearly to the midpoint of ii! It's amazing. My hair has never seemed so thick. Large ficcares fit without pulling, even on days where my hair hasn't been freshly washed or worn in a braid so it's all fluffy. I'm sure length helps with the Ficcare thing, but still... NEARLY 3 INCHES!!!
ETA2: Because I'm a nerd, I calculated it out. Area of the ponytail is how you actually figure hair volume changes... If I banged this out right, I've had a 63% increase in how much hair I have since I joined LHC. That's rather epic.

Wow, Anje! :D Congrats on the massive thickness increase! :applause
Do you have any insights into what could have contributed to such epic increase in thickness over the long run? Any changes to your old hair care routine? Any health or dietary changes?

meteor
December 29th, 2014, 05:37 PM
since is still 2014
worst: I found this week that my ends don't like to be in a bun for more than 1-2 days without detangling them

Yep, I know some people manage to somehow keep the same bun in for a week or so, lucky!... I definitely need to detangle at least every couple days, but really every day, even if it's a super-rock-solid bun like Ellingwoman or Amish braided bun...

wilderwein
December 29th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Yep, I know some people manage to somehow keep the same bun in for a week or so, lucky!... I definitely need to detangle at least every couple days, but really every day, even if it's a super-rock-solid bun like Ellingwoman or Amish braided bun...

How our hair do that?!!!! I'm so tempted to make a drawing about what hair strands are doing while they are in a bun and still manage to tangle!

Ferngear
December 29th, 2014, 08:06 PM
If I banged this out right, I've had a 63% increase in how much hair I have since I joined LHC. That's rather epic.

That's funny; the first time I read it I thought "Of course it's thicker if you've 'banged out;' grown-out bangs add to volume!" But you mentioned they just stay behind your ears now, so obviously they don't count for the thickness....yet.

meteor
December 29th, 2014, 08:17 PM
How our hair do that?!!!! I'm so tempted to make a drawing about what hair strands are doing while they are in a bun and still manage to tangle!

:lol: It's a mystery to me, too. :)
However, I do find that hair tangles less inside an updo if I sleep on silk, cover hair with a sleep cap when I'm at home alone, don't touch hair, don't wear wool/flannel close to hair, use very secure hairstyles that somehow section hair: for example, double buns or buns made out of braids stacked on top of each other, or woven around the crown, or braided together and then bunned. Basically, the more securely fixed the strands, less hair gets to move and the less it tangles... and it will still tangle somewhat, lol. :magic:

Anje
December 29th, 2014, 08:34 PM
I think I like Amodimethicone and Behentrimonium Methosulfate, too. :) What are the products you like? And do you know if there is any reason to worry about build-up from BTMS, being a cationic quaternary compound and a self-emulsifying wax? Or are they less problematic than cones?

I sometimes have problems with volatile silicones, too, and I wonder if it's because of the volatile cones themselves or just because the volatile silicones I found in products were always accompanied by a heavy dose of water-insoluble cones, since volatile silicones are usually added just to spread out other ingredients in a very even way to induce slip and shine...? :hmm:

Wow, Anje! :D Congrats on the massive thickness increase! :applause
Do you have any insights into what could have contributed to such epic increase in thickness over the long run? Any changes to your old hair care routine? Any health or dietary changes?
I think some people do have issues with quaternary ammonium compounds building up, but I can't say I've noticed. IMO, what does and doesn't build up is extremely individual, so it's something you have to play around with.

My main conditioner is just Suave Naturals Aloe and Waterlily. It doesn't have any of those slippery ingredients, which is probably good. I regularly grab something else though: Herbal Essences Hello Hydration and a knockoff of Biolage Conditioning Balm regularly show up in my rotation. I've used my mom's Tressemme Radiant Volume when visiting, and that gives me amazing slip too, so I might get my own. Can't use those all the time, though, or my hair won't stay up!

I can't say my lifestyle or diet are great. I'm a stressed, fastfood eating grad student. I don't exercise enough and what I eat is often processed. :-/ What I do differently is mostly wearing my hair bunned and braided most of the time, wearing my hair in a sleep bonnet at night, and gentle detangling to try not to break hairs. Before joining, I kinda ripped through my hair with a brush, wore it ponytailed all day every day, loose at night. My hair is a lot less broken these days, though I still get some splits. (My old early LHC goal was to have less than 10% of my hairs split. Current goal is to keep under 2% split, and I think I'm under 1%, approximately.) I'm paying more attention to what does and doesn't make my hair shed, but I don't think that's enough to account for my thickness increase. Some of it is probably luck. And yes, I made sure the bangs were in my measurement. :)

Scarlet_Heart
December 29th, 2014, 09:21 PM
Best: petroleum jelly
Worst: bangs.

meteor
December 29th, 2014, 09:24 PM
Thank you so very much, Anje! :D That's extremely helpful!
All that protection (braiding, bunning, bonnets, gentle detangling...) clearly brought about amazing improvement! Congratulations!

(And I should definitely try HE Hello Hydration and Biolage Conditioning Balm - so many LHCers rave about them! ;) )

meteor
December 29th, 2014, 09:26 PM
Best: petroleum jelly

Cool! :) Do you melt it? Or mix with anything? Or do you use it straight like a gel? :)

MsPharaohMoan
December 29th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Worst: sleeping in a bun (damage city)
Best: PATIENCE!

I think hair gets tangled in buns and braids from all those loose strands that fall out throughout your day. I too need to detangle at least every two days.

Alien Girl
December 29th, 2014, 10:48 PM
Took thinning shears to my hair at the end of September... WORST HAIR DECISION IN MY ENTIRE LIFE!!!!! I just really need to stop messing with my hair, and let it grow out at one length. I also need to realize I cannot work with layers. I tried twice in the past and this time really has done it for me. maybe very very slight thinning done by a professional would be fine since my hair is very bulky and thick. Sigh. 2015 will be the year of patient hair growth for me.

prettyinpink
December 29th, 2014, 11:35 PM
Best: African black soap as a shampoo

Worst: Biotin, it broke me out like crazy!

YvetteVarie
December 30th, 2014, 01:48 AM
Best:
African black soap as a shampoo
Letting go of the relaxer. My hair is thicker and retains length better

Worst:
Trimming off too much hair. I trimmed off all my growth for the year, and some growth from previous years. Therefore, no trims in 2015

YvetteVarie
December 30th, 2014, 02:02 AM
Best:
African black soap as a shampoo
Letting go of the relaxer. My hair is thicker and retains length better

Worst:
Trimming off too much hair. I trimmed off all my growth for the year, and some growth from previous years. Therefore, no trims in 2015

Luminaria
December 30th, 2014, 06:08 AM
For me, my worst created my best.

Worst~ Hennaing ends of hair.

Best~ The trim that followed the henna.

*View my blog for more details.

wilderwein
December 30th, 2014, 06:22 AM
:lol: It's a mystery to me, too. :)
However, I do find that hair tangles less inside an updo if I sleep on silk, cover hair with a sleep cap when I'm at home alone, don't touch hair, don't wear wool/flannel close to hair, use very secure hairstyles that somehow section hair: for example, double buns or buns made out of braids stacked on top of each other, or woven around the crown, or braided together and then bunned. Basically, the more securely fixed the strands, less hair gets to move and the less it tangles... and it will still tangle somewhat, lol. :magic:

Ahahahaha Indeed!
I also use a sleep cap and it helped a lot, ( I still get comments from my family tho )
Yep same happens with my hair too when they are braided then put in a bun (but there will still be tangles there, I'm not gonna even speak about the baby hairs on the neck area)

kitschy
December 30th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Best: I quit obsessing with my hair. Most days I don't even think about it.

Worst: Cutting to shoulder length to release the curl. Good thing hair grows.....onward to APL!!

hanne jensen
December 30th, 2014, 06:36 AM
My best: benign neglect. The more I leave it alone, the less damage.

My worst: Using a protein conditioner. It fried my hair.

meteor
December 30th, 2014, 02:17 PM
For me, my worst created my best.

Worst~ Hennaing ends of hair.

Best~ The trim that followed the henna.

*View my blog for more details.

Yikes! :(
But that's really good to know! I was considering henna ombre/highlights because I thought it should be strengthening/conditioning or, if not, it wouldn't cover too much of my hair to matter.
However, I can sort of see how the texture of the ends could change after that, and if your ends got so tangly and coated from just one a mud treatment, it's not as easy-breezy as I thought.

LemonFizzy
December 31st, 2014, 03:15 PM
The experiment I did this year was to create a gift list. I asked for an Olina black ox horn comb. Got it and love it! I also asked for my very first hairstick, a gingko biloba dangly stick from Francesca at The Pink Cockatiel on Etsy. The stick is everything it looked like online and I love it, too! Yes, let the hair toy collection begin!!

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 04:16 PM
^ :) Sounds lovely, LemonFizzy! :applause

LemonFizzy
December 31st, 2014, 04:53 PM
Yes,I've been officially enabled ;)

Red'N'Curly
December 31st, 2014, 06:42 PM
Last day of 2014. Since all I ever do is moisture, moisture, moisture I thought maybe my hair would like protein. I have never in my life used protein. I decided to start slow and use 1/4 packet of gelatin mixed with warm water and conditioner. This was in hair that was 7 days old with Shea Butter and coconut oil being applied to the length every day. Greaseier than grandma's cast iron skillet, right? TONS of moisture going on. Well, after rinsing the gelatin from my hair I have never seen it so tangled! Never again.

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 06:50 PM
^ Oh no. :( So sorry it didn't work for you, Red 'N Curly.
I'd try to do a moisturizing treatment at this point (SMT with protein-free conditioner) or do an additional moisturizing or coney conditioning rinse before detangling.

Red'N'Curly
December 31st, 2014, 07:27 PM
Lol, well now that it's dry it's insanely shiny, just don't touch it :cool: Yeah, I'll sleep with SMT in and hopefully it won't feel so fragile in the morning :p

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 07:30 PM
^ :) I'm keeping my fingers crossed that you wake up with gorgeous hair tomorrow! :D

mariechin1234
December 31st, 2014, 07:37 PM
Best is applying herbal oils and organic products into my hair. I'll do the same hair care in year 2015.

Scarlet_Heart
December 31st, 2014, 08:04 PM
Cool! :) Do you melt it? Or mix with anything? Or do you use it straight like a gel? :)

I put a small amount in my palms, rub my palms together a little to emulsify it, then I smooth it over my ends (while damp after each wash). After I do that, I smooth any remaining over the rest of my length and comb through. I do NOT comb my scalp with that comb or I get the greasies at the top. But it enhances my curl pattern and doesn't make my hair greasy at all. My hair is coarse and thick, and drinks it right up.

I would say my top 3 favorite hair care discoveries since joining LHC (ugh, almost 4 years ago now) are:
1. A good wash routine: scalp-only shampooing, oiling the length
2. Hair forks/sticks
3. Petroleum jelly

wilderwein
December 31st, 2014, 08:19 PM
NEW WORST EXPERIMENT! it was a few hours before 2014 ended
LEAVING A LITTLE GIRL PLAY WITH YOUR HAIR! >_<

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 08:26 PM
Thanks so much for the details on petroleum jelly, Scarlet_Heart! :flower:

LEAVING A LITTLE GIRL PLAY WITH YOUR HAIR! >_<
Oh no! What happened, wilderwein? Did she tangle up your hair or get something stuck in your hair? No matter what it is, please don't panic. You can usually work tangles out with a bunch of water, oils and coney conditioners/serums, and there are some Youtube videos that can help. Don't hesitate to troubleshoot on the LHC!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 31st, 2014, 08:27 PM
LEAVING A LITTLE GIRL PLAY WITH YOUR HAIR! >_<Yikes! This sounds - just - BAAAD!

wilderwein
December 31st, 2014, 08:38 PM
Meteor lets just say that my hair experienced a rape situation! She wanted to do an english braid ( wich was totally fine at first) BUT THEN, she took the brush THE NORMAL ONE! I tried politily to ask her to take my comb, but her parents were looking at me like I was a weirdo, I thought that I would had control BUT NO! She brushed it really roughly ( i tried to explain her once more to start from the ends and then go to the roots, but no! her parents wouldnt do nothing about it)
I could hear some hair strands breaking, and my scalp was hurting.... but then came the worst part! she braided my hair, she used a really bad hair elastic and that kinda got tangled with my hair ends, AND THEN SHE DECIDED SHE DIDNT LIKE THAT! So she pulled that out, I heard some hair strands breaking once more (just like my heart)
I had a face expression that really seemed annoyed! AND HER PARENTS WHERE ACTING LIKE THIS WAS NORMAL! they even said something like "Oh you are so lucky to have your own hairdresser"

Sorry for the dramatic note, but it was horrible! Yes Sarahlabyrinth it was and felt bad!

Sarahlabyrinth
December 31st, 2014, 08:43 PM
Meteor lets just say that my hair experienced a rape situation! She wanted to do an english braid ( wich was totally fine at first) BUT THEN, she took the brush THE NORMAL ONE! I tried politily to ask her to take my comb, but her parents were looking at me like I was a weirdo, I thought that I would had control BUT NO! She brushed it really roughly ( i tried to explain her once more to start from the ends and then go to the roots, but no! her parents wouldnt do nothing about it)
I could hear some hair strands breaking, and my scalp was hurting.... but then came the worst part! she braided my hair, she used a really bad hair elastic and that kinda got tangled with my hair ends, AND THEN SHE DECIDED SHE DIDNT LIKE THAT! So she pulled that out, I heard some hair strands breaking once more (just like my heart)
I had a face expression that really seemed annoyed! AND HER PARENTS WHERE ACTING LIKE THIS WAS NORMAL! they even said something like "Oh you are so lucky to have your own hairdresser"

Sorry for the dramatic note, but it was horrible! Yes Sarahlabyrinth it was and felt bad!

Sadly, this seems to be the way most people (non LHCers) treat hair. For them it probably IS normal :( Sorry your poor hair was tortured.

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 08:50 PM
Yikes, so sorry that this happened to you, wilderwein! :( :grouphug:
That's why whenever I'm surrounded by kids, I immediately put my hair up. I notice that kids have a thing about playing with hair, pulling on braids, doing styles as if grown-ups are their big dolls or something? :lol:
I must admit, I was afraid of the worst... like, what if the girl got scissors! :shudder:

wilderwein
December 31st, 2014, 08:51 PM
Sadly, this seems to be the way most people (non LHCers) treat hair. For them it probably IS normal :( Sorry your poor hair was tortured.

If I'm gonna have kids, I'm gonna learn them the proper way to care and handle hair! And honestly it was a bit rude from her parents to do nothing, especially when It was clear she was causing me pain

Meteor exactly!
WAIT if anyone holds scissors near my hair, I'm gonna be the one who will use them! *psychohairkiller mode* :lol:

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 08:59 PM
WAIT if anyone holds scissors near my hair, I'm gonna be the one who will use them! *psychohairkiller mode* :lol:

:lol: :lol: Good on you! Long hairs need some self-defense! That's how the Order of the Long Haired Knights rollz! ;)

wilderwein
December 31st, 2014, 09:05 PM
:lol: :lol: Good on you! Long hairs need some self-defense! That's how the Order of the Long Haired Knights rollz! ;)

Seems like I'm envolving! Bring me the axes hair toys people, I'm ready

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 09:35 PM

:lol: LOL, that's awesome!

Happy New Year!!! :bottomsup:

lauren_alia
December 31st, 2014, 09:41 PM
wilderwein that experience sounds just terrible. shudder:
This is such an interesting thread to read through. What's on one person's best list is on another's worst.
Here's mine: :)
Best:
Hair sticks- I've been using pens/pencils/paintbrushes to put my hair up forever. I had NO IDEA you could buy pretty sticks specifically for this purpose. It was a revelation.
Coconut oil- My hair seems to love it.
Leave-ins- I never used to use any kind of leave-in conditioners or anything before, and it has made such a difference since I started doing so.
Worst:
Putting Greek yogurt in my hair. I only did this because I had some in the fridge that needed to be used up and I didn't feel like eating it. I remembered reading somewhere that yogurt was good for your hair? Well, it was a disaster. It was so thick and sticky feeling and difficult to rinse out of my hair. I'm pretty sure I lost four times as much hair as I normally do that day. And it did nothing in terms of improving the condition or feel of my hair either. Live and learn.

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 09:54 PM
This is such an interesting thread to read through. What's on one person's best list is on another's worst.
Worst:
Putting Greek yogurt in my hair. I only did this because I had some in the fridge that needed to be used up and I didn't feel like eating it. I remembered reading somewhere that yogurt was good for your hair? Well, it was a disaster. It was so thick and sticky feeling and difficult to rinse out of my hair. I'm pretty sure I lost four times as much hair as I normally do that day. And it did nothing in terms of improving the condition or feel of my hair either. Live and learn.

Great list, lauren_alia! :D
I'm one of those folks who can use yogurt in pre-poos no problem, including Greek, but I always have to mix it with oils/butters/conditioners, because slip is not the best without them.

vega
December 31st, 2014, 10:22 PM

Hi wilderwein if that ever happens again let them know that they are hurting you , and move away you should never have to go through that hugs

ARG
December 31st, 2014, 10:28 PM
My worst was very mild, nothing bad happened this year.
Worst: Avocado oil. My hair said no.
Best: Going back to cones. YAY!

wilderwein
December 31st, 2014, 10:29 PM
Hi wilderwein if that ever happens again let them know that they are hurting you , and move away you should never have to go through that hugs

Thank you for the support vega! I'm so glad you people understand me here, and don't think that I'm obsessed!

Nadine <3
December 31st, 2014, 10:38 PM
Thought of another one! I buy one basic shampoo and conditioner that my hair loves, and add things as needed. I do this with tresseme naturals, and it's perfect. I no longer need to futs around in the hair care isle because I can make what my hair needs using the conditioner as a base.

I have little 2 ounce travel bottles that stay in the shower, the huge bottles stay under the sink. I have one bottle with conditioner mixed with aloe, honey and a tiny bit of coconut oil, another bottle of conditioner that I mixed with gelatin for protein. For shampoo, I have a small travel bottle that I dilute my shampoo in and that's it. I own a clarifying shampoo, and another conditioner that has water soluble cones that never gets used. Great way to have tons of options without having a cluttered bathroom.

I donated the hoard of stuff I accumulated to the homeless shelter. They LOVED it.

wilderwein
December 31st, 2014, 10:41 PM
:lol: LOL, that's awesome!

Happy New Year!!! :bottomsup:

HAPPY NEW YEAAAR!!!! may the new year bring us more hair...? (I'm great at wishes)

meteor
December 31st, 2014, 10:50 PM
Thought of another one! I buy one basic shampoo and conditioner that my hair loves, and add things as needed. I do this with tresseme naturals, and it's perfect. I no longer need to futs around in the hair care isle because I can make what my hair needs using the conditioner as a base.

I have little 2 ounce travel bottles that stay in the shower, the huge bottles stay under the sink. I have one bottle with conditioner mixed with aloe, honey and a tiny bit of coconut oil, another bottle of conditioner that I mixed with gelatin for protein.

Yay! I love doing this, too! :hifive:
It's a great way of boosting products. I especially like adding some honey or gelatin or neem/tea tree oil to diluted shampoo and ols/honey/gelatin/acv to condish. Cool way to tweak your products to your immediate needs!

HAPPY NEW YEAAAR!!!! may the new year bring us more hair...? (I'm great at wishes)

YAY!!! HAPPY NEW YEAR!!! :happydance: AND HAPPY NEW HAIR GROWTH!!! :bottomsup: :beerchug:

lauren_alia
December 31st, 2014, 11:52 PM
Great list, lauren_alia! :D
I'm one of those folks who can use yogurt in pre-poos no problem, including Greek, but I always have to mix it with oils/butters/conditioners, because slip is not the best without them.
Yeah, I definitely should have mixed it with something. Ah well, hindsight is 20/20, lol. :D