PDA

View Full Version : Dread

vega
December 26th, 2014, 05:52 AM
Hi guys ive been considering getting my curls dreadlocked , wat do u think and is it possible to undred if I get sick of them

Annalouise
December 26th, 2014, 06:13 AM
Are you a Rasta? If not, then no, don't get dreadlocks.

CremeTron
December 26th, 2014, 06:13 AM
I have heard of people doing this. You will lose a lot of hair undoing them if that is possible for you as it is not possible for everyone.

I know someone with type 2-3 hair that did lock his hair but he had to mistreat it for months to get them to "take", such as overnight bleaching and washing with harsh soap and no conditioner.

If you just want a temporary style you can try silky dreds- youtube it. I once bought synthetic locks and attached them to my hair but my hair was very, very short then so it was effective.

I think your best bet to maintain the health of your hair is silky dreds though. Your hair may be too slippery to attach the lock extensions as I did. Even with type 4a hair, they slipped down frequently.

Hope that helps.

chomsky
December 26th, 2014, 07:09 AM
Are you a Rasta? If not, then no, don't get dreadlocks.

Dreadlocks are not exclusive to the Rastafari Movement/Rastafarians, they see someone dreading their hair as them going on a 'journey' of some sorts. They say it is encouraged in the bible. Rastafarians are not required to have dreadlocks in order to be a 'Rastafarian'. I've looked hard into this religion to understand a couple relatives a bit more, just my two cents.

Hey vega, if you're up for the unkeep and the process of getting and retaining dreadlocks then go ahead! Whilst the can be taken out, yes, this will be an equally hard process... And they may not be able to be taken out, after that the only option is cutting them out. I can't see your hair type right now, but curvier hair will form dreadlocks easier, maybe because it's more prone to knotty anyway, haha.

By some fake ones for now and see how you like them, it's more of a commitment than you might think!

Halliday
December 26th, 2014, 07:28 AM
If you really want to and are willing to spend time on them, yeah go for it! I do think your curls are very beautiful in your profile pic and it would be a shame to lose them IMO.

NitaB
December 26th, 2014, 08:25 AM
If you want to do it, go for it. The process will definitely leave some damage behind though. Just make sure you do plenty of research on dread forums and avoid wax.

When you want to take them out, get a huge bottle of conditioner and go slowly, there are tutorials on youtube for everything from thinking about getting them, to how to take them out. (My personal favorite dread youtuber is lazydreads)