PDA

View Full Version : Outdoor family portrait hairstyle? Wind?

jasper
December 25th, 2014, 05:42 PM
We're taking a family portrait outdoors and it will likely be windy. My hair is just about to reach classic length, but no one else who will be in the picture has hair above two inches long, and mostly shorter. I don't want this photo session to be about my hair, so I am trying to figure out a style that will make wind as much a non-issue for me as for them. But a really secure bun makes me look like I have no hair in a portrait, a top know would be kind of out of character for me. A side braid is a normal casual style for me, but my braid fuzzes out really easily.

What do you with your hair in portraits?

Sarahlabyrinth
December 25th, 2014, 06:10 PM
I would normally keep mine in a bun - those who know me are well familiar with my slicked-back-like-an-otter look so a portrait would just show my usual appearance. If you want your hair loose you could stand in the centre of the group to minimise wind tangling. Also, taking photos doesn't normally take very long and you could just put your hair up again afterwards. Just my two cents worth:)

Scarlet_Heart
December 25th, 2014, 06:15 PM
What if you did a loose braid and wore it over your shoulder? And by loose I mean, it would be a little poofy at the top, instead of slicked down tight. That way, you could see most of the length of your hair. Put a pretty bow at the bottom or something. :)

Mainesongbird
December 25th, 2014, 06:18 PM
What about a side bun? You could twist the front and poof it a little. You can basically do any bun you do on the back of your head more behind your ear. You could see it from the front and it wouldn't look like you didn't have hair.

AmberJewel
December 25th, 2014, 06:19 PM
Do you like crown braids or twists? I find that they're fairly secure for me if I do them right. And it won't look slicked back because you can see the braid along your crown. You could maybe add a small decoration or something to make it feel more festive?

Laurenji
December 25th, 2014, 06:37 PM
What I do do my buns most of the time is to take a section of hair right off the top of my head (almost like the front half of a mowhawk), and French braid that to give it a little bit of volume on the top. Then I do my bun as normal. It's what I did for our outdoor pictures and it turned out pretty good.

If that doesn't help enough, then I heartily second the crown braid.

Chiaroscuro
December 25th, 2014, 06:44 PM
Braided high pony with ends tucked hidden in back of your belt or waistband. Same tuck-in-waistband idea with a thick hairband--may need a ponytail holder or ribbon at the middle of the length. French roll or coronet braids with a very thin hair net over just the roll or the coronet. Since it will only be for a short time, copious use of quality cliq claqs to control wisps?? Or you could do what ladies have done for centuries--wear a beautiful silk scarf.
I think it is very thoughtful of you to think of others--hope it all turns out well!

jasper
December 26th, 2014, 05:53 AM
Thank you! This is all really helpful!

I would normally keep mine in a bun - those who know me are well familiar with my slicked-back-like-an-otter look so a portrait would just show my usual appearance. If you want your hair loose you could stand in the centre of the group to minimise wind tangling. Also, taking photos doesn't normally take very long and you could just put your hair up again afterwards. Just my two cents worth:)
I don't know why, since I am comfortable with a bun as my usual appearance, but I just don't like it in a portrait. Maybe I just don't look at it the same way in my mirror. I am kind of tickled by the idea of telling them all I get to be in the center of the group so they can wind screen my hair.

What if you did a loose braid and wore it over your shoulder? And by loose I mean, it would be a little poofy at the top, instead of slicked down tight. That way, you could see most of the length of your hair. Put a pretty bow at the bottom or something. :)
The loose braid is basically how I always wear my hair if it isn't in a bun. It is both slippery and frizzy so it is generally messy in minutes. But I do like it that way for the first 5 minutes!

What about a side bun? You could twist the front and poof it a little. You can basically do any bun you do on the back of your head more behind your ear. You could see it from the front and it wouldn't look like you didn't have hair.
I should try the side bun more often so I can get comfortable with the look.

Do you like crown braids or twists? I find that they're fairly secure for me if I do them right. And it won't look slicked back because you can see the braid along your crown. You could maybe add a small decoration or something to make it feel more festive?
I like twists and crown braids. My hair spits out bobby pins, so I have been trying tiny jaw clips for these styles. I will have to round the bitty things up again from wherever they've landed in the house/car.

What I do do my buns most of the time is to take a section of hair right off the top of my head (almost like the front half of a mowhawk), and French braid that to give it a little bit of volume on the top. Then I do my bun as normal. It's what I did for our outdoor pictures and it turned out pretty good.

If that doesn't help enough, then I heartily second the crown braid.
I should make another attempt to learn the french braid. I should have learned this before growing my hair to classic. I understand the concept, but never succeed on the coordination.

Braided high pony with ends tucked hidden in back of your belt or waistband. Same tuck-in-waistband idea with a thick hairband--may need a ponytail holder or ribbon at the middle of the length. French roll or coronet braids with a very thin hair net over just the roll or the coronet. Since it will only be for a short time, copious use of quality cliq claqs to control wisps?? Or you could do what ladies have done for centuries--wear a beautiful silk scarf.
I think it is very thoughtful of you to think of others--hope it all turns out well!
I really appreciate these suggestions, as you reminded me it doesn't matter how it looks from the back so tucking it in to control it would keep it out of my face and everyone else's. I bet if it was windy enough for me to need to do that we would have to wait for better weather, but I can save that idea for impromptu outdoor photos. And I love the scarf idea! I'm trying out braiding the scarf into a crown or heidi braids.

Carolyn
December 26th, 2014, 06:30 AM
Since it will only be for a short time, copious use of quality cliq claqs to control wisps?? What are cliq claqs?

jasper
December 26th, 2014, 07:51 AM
What are cliq claqs?
They are those flexible metal hair clips that click open and closed. They're vaguely triangular in a long, curved triangle sort of way and they bow open and bow back the other way when you close them. A picture (http://www.franceluxe.com/mm5/graphics/00000001/products/lerickson/barrettes/LI4286/LI4286Main500.jpg) is worth a thousand words.

Saldana
December 26th, 2014, 08:23 AM
Since you often wear your hair in a loose braid over your shoulder, but are worried about the fuzz factor (something I *totally* understand), could you maybe just wear your hair in the loose braid, and just before the picture taking session, quickly re-braid it so it's smooth? You could also maybe carry a bit of oil or aloe vera gel and smooth it down the braid to help hold the fuzzies in for a little bit longer.

Chiaroscuro
December 26th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Jasper, if you are willing to braid a scarf into braids, how about torrinpaige's hair taping?
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KqbAdvL8kME
You could even go one way, then crisscross going back the other way---would certainly hold the hair, especially if you smooth in aloe vera before braiding, as smartly suggested above.

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 10:46 AM
You could do a braided bun and right before the picture, take the bun down, leaving the braid down. The braid will be smooth because you will have kept your hair up until the photo moment.

It's basically, the Elsa Let it Go moment :lol:

fearlessnik
December 26th, 2014, 10:51 AM
A fishtail braid would work.

jasper
December 26th, 2014, 04:45 PM
Wow! After wearing that scarf in my braids for a couple of hours I can appreciate what Torrin says about the weight of it in her video! I'm going to try the ribbon.

Halliday
December 26th, 2014, 05:04 PM
sarah, LOL at 'slicked back like an otter'

ARG
December 26th, 2014, 05:56 PM
For our Christmas photos this year, I wore my hair in a very low half-up so some of it was over my shoulder but the majority was kept back to minimize wind entanglement.