PDA

View Full Version : I wanna dye ends blue or purple, but don't want to bleach. Options?

Flor
December 25th, 2014, 04:23 AM
I have dark hair to begin with, not black, but rather dark brown. And it's hennaed. I'm not looking for permanent results (if it washes off in a few weeks, I won't cry about it) or for it to be super vibrant either. I just wants ends in a slightly different color. If it fails, no big deal. Please, don't suggest going to a hair salon, not gonna do that.

I've done box dye before, so that's an option. But, say, if I go to a professional hair supply store and explain what I want, will they be able to help me? Or should I research online exactly what to get and go in prepared? I know nothing about hair coloring. Well, again, except from box dyes and henna (an expert in that :D).

kitcatsmeow
December 25th, 2014, 05:45 AM
There are very few colors that will leave more than a "glow" on dark brown hair. Sorry.

Panth
December 25th, 2014, 05:57 AM
Do you want blue, or do you want a blue tone on top of your current hair colour (like on some sorts of black hair naturally has)?

The former is not achievable on dark hair (or even on most blonde hair) without bleach. The latter can probably be achieved just with deposit-only dye, e.g. Manic Panic.

Nique1202
December 25th, 2014, 06:15 AM
Hair chalk shows up even on dark hair. You'd have to re-do it probably every wash or two, but that would also give you some flexibility to play with colour and shading. Lots of tutorials on Google and YouTube!

Halliday
December 25th, 2014, 06:25 AM
I second the hair chalk vote. Bleach is really necessary on dark hair if you want coloured ends.

lapushka
December 25th, 2014, 06:27 AM
You can use Maybelline color tattoos (cream eyeshadows) to dye your hair without damage. Google & YT it! I'm serious.

MINAKO
December 25th, 2014, 06:36 AM
i would suggest clip ins. was thinking about something similar and would never like to put chalk or eyeshadows in my hair because although i have seen it works, it looks dull and i wouldnt want to risk staining my clothes.
i want a particular shade of dark grey in my black but there just is no deposit dye to go lighter, none!
just buy apre ombred bundle and mess with it to your liking, the worst that can happen is that you have to throw it away after some time.

CremeTron
December 25th, 2014, 04:41 PM
I am going to agree with previous posters and say hair chalk or eyeshadow.

I have dark hair and I have one green stripe and one white stripe at front- small stripes. I had to bleach my hair 3 times for 45 minutes each time to get to the required lightness before I toned.

fiğrildi
December 25th, 2014, 04:49 PM
You could use something like this: http://www.thebodyshop.co.uk/content/hairchalks.aspx

My sister's got the blue one, and it looks amazing! It goes away when you wash your hair.

CurlyCap
December 25th, 2014, 04:57 PM
Yep, cream eye shadows. My go to, doesn't get on clothes and co-washes out.

http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=123486

hypersensitive
December 25th, 2014, 06:18 PM
You could buy clip ins and bleach and color them yourself

Laurenji
December 25th, 2014, 06:21 PM
A caution about hair chalk: from some of the reviews I've read about it, it can leave your hair very dry and tangly, as the chalk absorbs all the moisture from your hair.