PDA

View Full Version : Pretty styles for very tapered hair?

Ms Monnie
September 28th, 2008, 07:33 AM
There are plenty of practical styles I can do, like a cinnabun, equilibrium buns and log rolls, but when I try to do things like Karen Lynn knots, braided buns, figure 8s and infinities they look beyond stupid. Any ideas?

FYI, I go from a highish ii to a low i in a short distance.

utsusemi
September 28th, 2008, 08:31 AM
Hey, this is the thread I wanted to make, but was too shy to. Which means I have no help to offer, but will definitely be watching for advice. Am getting rather tired of the same two styles every day.

(Mine's shorter, too--just below my bra band--so even fewer options seem to work.)

Periwinkle
September 28th, 2008, 08:35 AM
Perhaps you could do styles with the thicker part of your hair, then wrap the tapered part around the outside and tuck it underneath? Since it's so much thinner, it probably wouldn't show.

Meli
September 28th, 2008, 08:38 AM
I know exactly where you are coming from ;) We seem to have very similar hair. I never wear regular figure 8 or infinity buns because of this - one loop is so ridiculously much smaller than the other. I have been successful with styles based on two braids wrapped in opposite directions - it looks more symmetrical that way. I sometimes do an infinity bun based on two braids. Here (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/album.php?albumid=557&pictureid=7538) is a picture of it. The braided chinese updo have worked well too.

My regular buns though, are the pinless braided bun and soft Nautilus bun, because they take less time to make. The soft Nautilus bun works because it is only wrapped, the taper doesn't show as in a braid, and the thin ends are wrapped around the base anyway. The pinless braided bun, well, it is noticeably thicker on one side, but once again, the most tapered parts get tucked under and hidden. At my current length, I do only one coil and tuck the rest under.

BittSweetCherry
September 28th, 2008, 09:11 AM
I second the nautilus bun, with two or three twists for the outer loop and the rest wrapped around the base (what becomes the centre). Otherwise, a very loose and flat first-coil cinnabun, with the rest wrapped underneath and secured with a fork.

Unfortunately, the severe tapering (thanks to a martial arts related ripping episode, my significant taper starts at arm-pit and goes to hip-length) makes knots, figure eights, infinity buns and braids near impossible and creates far too many thin twists due to the lack of diameter. I think it's a matter of sticking with what works and with patience and trimming, wait for some thickness to establish. For the record, I suspect the nautilus works better for us - I can't imagine trying to wrap a luxuriously thick length four or five times into the centre!

mira-chan
September 28th, 2008, 09:44 AM
I have very tapered hair too. Currently Orchid buns have been my staple, they work with taper really well. Cameo buns may work too. If you grab more thickness in the bun and a thinner braid around, that would likely work nicely. A sock bun with the ends braided and pinned around it (Kitty bun) will likely work too.

danacc
October 4th, 2008, 08:02 PM
I second the "Orchid" family of buns. The Orchid wrap works well for me; it is my current go-to style. I also find the flipped cinnamon bun held with a clip to be a pretty, soft style. I put the heavily tapered length coiled beneath the flipped bun. I'll also do a French braid with the tail loosely looped and held with a small Flexi-8 at the top of the loop when I have the time.

I wish I could master the French twist--it seems like it would work well, but at best it is a hit-or-miss style for me, and I seldom have the time to keep re-doing it until it works.

spidermom
October 4th, 2008, 09:15 PM
When I want my bun to look huge with no taper, nothing works like the nautilus.

Nightshade
October 4th, 2008, 09:51 PM
For a figure 8, I flip the outside loop up rather than the inside. That way I have the smaller, thinner loop on top, and I don't think it looks too bad :)
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/picture.php?albumid=237&pictureid=10358

(pic is in my album, so you'll need to shoot me a friend request to see it if you can't)

angelthadiva
October 4th, 2008, 09:59 PM
Very pretty, Nightshade!

I do mine the same way, and I think it looks fine w/the smaller loop at the top too.