PDA

View Full Version : Long Hair + Braces = Childish?

FoxFire
March 20th, 2008, 10:15 AM
I am thinking about getting braces sometime this year to fix the gap in my front teeth. This is something I have wanted to do for about ten years and I am kind of excited! I still haven't decided for sure if I will get them or not- orthodontics ain't cheap.:toofers:

I am a bit concerned that braces will make me look childish, especially since most women my age (24) have the newest short hair cut.

What do you guys think?

anna1850
March 20th, 2008, 11:04 AM
I don't think short hair with braces would look less silly than long hair with braces.

I think people just associate braces with childishness because people generally have them when they're kids but there's nothing you can do about that. And we shouldn't care about what other people think anyway, right?

I'd totally go for the braces if I were you if you can afford it, even if it's a little embarrassing short term, you're teeth should be fixed permanently when you have the braces removed. And I wouldn't cut your hair short because then you'll just have to start over. You might even get to your goal-length by the time they're removed (I don't know how long you need to wear them for).

florenonite
March 20th, 2008, 11:05 AM
Nah, I once knew someone in her early twenties (22 or so?) with braces and BSLish curly hair. I only ever saw her hair curly, but this was at camp so maybe she straightens it in the city, which would make it close to WL, if I remember it correctly. Either way it's reasonably long.

WavyGal
March 20th, 2008, 11:11 AM
Don't worry about what other people think or wear! Chances are they have to work really hard to be "in style" and they probably don't like it either.

Go for the braces. It won't look childish at all. However, if you are really self-conscious, you could see if Invisalign is right for you. Then nobody would know that you had braces on.

Good luck in whatever you do! You'll look great no matter what!:)

MoonCreature
March 20th, 2008, 11:24 AM
I wouldn't cut my hair just because of braces. Personally I don't care that much of what people think or say, but if I did, I think the long stunning hair would draw the attention away from the braces if anything.

And you're not going to wear them forever, what about when you get rid of the braces and notice that you really miss the long hair? Keep the hair is my opinnion ;)

Xanthippe
March 20th, 2008, 11:35 AM
I don't think you should cut your hair just because of braces, especially before you get them. I mean, if you don't like it *after* you get the braces, then you can cut it then. So, if I were you, I'd wait and see how it is with the braces. I think that it won't make as big a difference as you think. :flower:

FoxFire
March 20th, 2008, 11:56 AM
Thanks for all the support and enouragement! I don't think I will cut my hair to "fit" the braces, but I don't want to be stuck with the braces and realize that I need to do a lot to keep from looking childish. I guess I just want to be prepared for how I will look/feel with braces.

I absolutely refuse to wear makeup every day, I struggle a little with acne, I don't dress too trendy and I am short- I feel like I don't really look my age as it is.

Invisalign looks like a good alternitive to braces... too bad there aren't any providers in my town!:mad:

I know I shouldn't worry about what others think, but it is a struggle for me not to sometimes! :luke:

Thanks again everyone!

jessie58
March 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM
I'm getting the Invisalign later this year and even I wondered if I would look "childish" because I am an older woman with braces and long hair.

My doctor used to have braces and I thought they made her look less professional. Silly of me because she had been our doctor for years and it never crossed my mind that she was not professional until the braces. Society is just so stereotype bound.

Perhaps you could start wearing some updos that are a little more sophisticated to offset the braces and long hair image.

Wanita
March 20th, 2008, 12:04 PM
:D

I was in my early 40's when I got braces. A few months later, I am in front of my house, weeding, hair in twin braids, wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Some insurance salesman walking the block comes up and asks me if my mother is home. :lol: Of course, maybe he just needed glasses. :p

Getting braces was a decision I do not regret. My only comments about invisalign are 1) you may not be an eligible candidate; and 2) you must be dedicated to wearing them. Some invisalign ortho patients do the "this hurts, this sucks, I will just take these out", then of course they won't get results. With traditional braces, you obviously can't do that!

sweetlidlred
March 20th, 2008, 01:12 PM
I have a good friend who is 34, she has BSL hair and just got braces. I think she looks great, when she tells people her age, they are often surprised.

atlantaz3
March 20th, 2008, 03:07 PM
[quote=Wanita;23467]:D

I was in my early 40's when I got braces. A few months later, I am in front of my house, weeding, hair in twin braids, wearing a t-shirt and jeans. Some insurance salesman walking the block comes up and asks me if my mother is home. :lol: Of course, maybe he just needed glasses. :p

I was just going to say don't wear pigtails! I agree don't cut the hair for braces. Remember some people have to get braces at older ages due to injuries rather than misaligned teeth.:drama:Popcorn will be a no-no get your fill before hand.

BlndeInDisguise
March 20th, 2008, 03:32 PM
I really wouldn't worry about it. I've never thought braces looked childish on an "older" person, so I don't think long hair would change anything. Plus, you'll have gorgeous teeth for the rest of your life. :)

Blueglass
March 20th, 2008, 04:00 PM
:DBraces. Had them 4 times. Once in elementary school, then high school, then college, then after college. I was not an invisiline candidate because I needed elastics. My teeth and mouth are designed to be type 2 with slight overbite, not type 1 with sissors bite. After the fourth try, my orthodontist give me a permenant wire in back of my bottom teeth, and two custom made invisilines type retainers in heavy plastic, I have to have on every night for rest of my life. I suppose it makes you look young but cutting hair just for that not worth it. Get custom retainers, molded to your teeth, because, lets put it this way, God often puts back things to the way God wants them.

Islandgrrl
March 20th, 2008, 04:34 PM
I had knee length hair and braces. At age 40.

Chromis
March 20th, 2008, 04:42 PM
I think long hair can alos help you to look older in some updos. Afterall, who associates French twists with children for example?

squiggyflop
March 20th, 2008, 07:48 PM
im 19 and i have braces.. i say get them done now while you are still pretty young... perhaps invisalign or peraps braces on the ibackside of the teeth invisable braces ... ive seen braces on the backside of the teeth... i couldnt see them till the person tipped their head twards the sky and opened up wide

jessie58
March 20th, 2008, 08:12 PM
I agree that getting them done while you are young is better, just ask me, I'm almost 50.

Harpo
March 21st, 2008, 10:12 AM
I got braces when I was 21, and got them off about a month before I turned 24. My hair was probably about hip length the entire time. I did have several people mistake me for being quite a few years younger than I really was, but I guess it didn't bother me too much. I thought it was kind of funny to see people's reactions when they thought I was about 16 and I told them I was in my 20s! But I still tend to get that reaction sometimes even without the braces -- I think I just look younger than my age.

In general, though, I think your actions say as much about you as your appearance. Just act like an adult, and you will be treated that way.

And by the way, in my experience, braces are SO worth it! I am extremely pleased that I decided to get them.

Anje
March 21st, 2008, 10:34 AM
I think you're OK as long as you avoid pigtails and those elastics with bright plastic balls on the ends (which usually have an un-hair-friendly metal band in the middle anyway). Maybe stay away from bright colored rubber bands holding the wire in place, too, if you can, if you're more worried about looking childish than having fun with it. Invisalign-type-systems are also an option, but I imagine they cost more.

Enjoy your straight teeth and long hair!

squiggyflop
March 22nd, 2008, 06:50 PM
[quote=Anje;25101]I think you're OK as long as you avoid pigtails [quote]
aww i love pigtails and i have braces.... *sigh* there are just too many pigtail hairdos... theres piggytail braids theres my mickey mouse hairdo theres twin cinnabuns theres twin figure8s theres twistyups with matching octopus clamps.. theres sailormoon style buns with pigtails coming out the center... oh if i have to stop putting my hair in pigtails just because i have braces half my hairdo skills go bye bye...

tiny_teesha
March 22nd, 2008, 08:10 PM
Tom cruise and Gwen stephany had braces as adults!
I have them now, i'm 20 so...I mean i think there were many reasons i cut my hair the first time, one was so that i look older, but now i don't care. It is ME.
There are all sorts of braces you can get nowadays. like ones on the inside instead of showing. See what your orthodonist suggests. You can also get clear mouthguard type ones.
I have ceramic top braces and metal bottom braces.
I get a couple of comments from people at work. My area manager thought i was 17 yesterday....and i'm like. "no i'm 20", i've worked with her for over a year about once a week.

Well. If you want the gap closed i guess you will just have to "grin" and bear it. Like i am. Not to mention the pain and money going down the drain. Its hard to see how it costs 300 bucks a 600 bucks for 5 minutes to change bands and wire...... :S. But ok, if it will get me a pretty smile- cool
(secret me told, i sorta likes my teeth and face before i got extractions done but oh well too late now!!!)

DarkChocolate
July 22nd, 2008, 11:37 AM
I will be getting invisalign in a few weeks and I have hip length hair. People always mistake me for being younger but I don't care.

jtl45
July 22nd, 2008, 12:01 PM
Try invisalign!!! Had them at 20 and you cant even tell they are on! They are great if you are just doing some minor improvements like a gap!

nostalgic
July 22nd, 2008, 12:07 PM
you are obviously dedicated to long hair if you are here! don't cut it just because of braces!!!! what about invisaline (sp?) instead of regular braces? also, my grandmother had braces at least twice in her adulthood as well as one of my aunts. don't worry about how it will look with long hair: it's a temporary thing for a beautiful result in the long term. i think it's better to do it now while you're still younger...?