PDA

View Full Version : Cosmetology Student here :)

kitcatsmeow
December 24th, 2014, 04:59 AM
So I finally am doing it. Well I started school in November and I absolutely love it. And hopefully when I graduate I can get paid for my hair obsession lol. I am also a makeup junkie and I'm taking some advanced makeup and airbrush classes.
Hopefully my knowledge can also help some LHC members as well.

It's a bit difficult at school when I'm 100% natural, sulfate and cone free. There are days where we have to do hair treatments on each other and I won't let mine be blown dry so I have to walk around with wet head all day only to come home and re-wash. grrr. :mad: But....it won't kill me and it will be worth it in the end.

Ok so other than that I'm doing my aphogee treatment today and going from all blonde to ombre! My regrowth comes in so fast and bleaching every 4-5 weeks is too much and very hard on my hair.

If I can help anyone, PM me. I don't get on here as often as I'd like and I may not see it in a thread. MErry Christmas everyone!!

Platzhalter
December 24th, 2014, 06:12 AM
Alright then, dumb question... but what is cosmetology and how and where can you even study something like this?
But congratulations, it seems like you really want to do it.

RachelRose
December 24th, 2014, 07:49 AM
Good idea on the ombré . It's a good way to get out of the bleach cycle and very on trend too . How long are you growing to goal wise ? I was in cosmetology briefly a few years ago and I know how it is to be experimented on (don't let them wax your brows lol) good luck on your education ;)

MINAKO
December 24th, 2014, 09:10 AM
Congratulations on your studies! Certainly one of the fields i'm highlyinterested in too, but more for personal reasons. Well i just love to see how things are done professionally, so if you have any interesting techniques , products, trends i'd be happy if you share them with us.

Halliday
December 24th, 2014, 09:59 AM
Congrats :flowers:

GoblinTart
December 24th, 2014, 10:28 AM
Alright then, dumb question... but what is cosmetology and how and where can you even study something like this?
But congratulations, it seems like you really want to do it.

Cosmetology is the study of beauty. Most beauticians, nail techs, hair dressers etc, are cosmetologists. There are actually schools where you go to learn techniques and become licensed by the state you are in.

GreenFairy
December 24th, 2014, 10:39 AM
I graduated from Aveda in New Orleans about 3 years ago. I went on to do hair and make up as a contractor on TV and movie sets filmed in the Louisiana area. I wish you the best of luck. I am the only person in my school year that received such a good job. Most now work for the Aveda chain, a mom & pop, or failed at opening their own salon. Many don't realize how cut throat the business can be. So if YOU need any advice on the industry, feel free to ask.

Johannah
December 24th, 2014, 10:42 AM
Congratulations!!

Islandgrrl
December 24th, 2014, 10:50 AM
Congratulations! I'm glad to hear your studies are going well and that you love what you are doing! Good luck!

meteor
December 24th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Congratulations, kitcatsmeow! :D

May I ask you why you made your routine strictly cone-free? :) (I'm growing out some bleach as well, so I'm really curious about this. )

Platzhalter
December 24th, 2014, 12:22 PM
Cosmetology is the study of beauty. Most beauticians, nail techs, hair dressers etc, are cosmetologists. There are actually schools where you go to learn techniques and become licensed by the state you are in.

Okay, thanks :)
Seems like you can study things in the US that don't seem to exist as subject for studying in various other countries.

kitcatsmeow
December 24th, 2014, 02:42 PM
I graduated from Aveda in New Orleans about 3 years ago. I went on to do hair and make up as a contractor on TV and movie sets filmed in the Louisiana area. I wish you the best of luck. I am the only person in my school year that received such a good job. Most now work for the Aveda chain, a mom & pop, or failed at opening their own salon. Many don't realize how cut throat the business can be. So if YOU need any advice on the industry, feel free to ask.

Thank you so much! I will definitely. I am in the most highly saturated hair stylist state as well so, yeah...lol.It's a Paul Mitchell school. I am definitely planning on freelancing MUA and continuing ed in that and possibly barbering. Def not opening my own!

Congratulations, kitcatsmeow! :D

May I ask you why you made your routine strictly cone-free? :) (I'm growing out some bleach as well, so I'm really curious about this. )

I only wash once a week and cones tend to keep moisture out and build up making my hair feel good at first but eventually very waxy, dry and brittle.

Katlette
December 24th, 2014, 03:45 PM
Okay, thanks :)
Seems like you can study things in the US that don't seem to exist as subject for studying in various other countries.

I'm pretty sure you can study cosmetology everywhere. Perhaps it's called something very different where you are?

Platzhalter
December 24th, 2014, 05:29 PM
No... it doesn't exist as subject to study in Germany. Or it seems to be extremely rare (went through the list of subjects for most German unis)... things like that are considered jobs you do an apprenticeship for, opposed to more classically academic stuff like theology, history, biology, chemistry and philosophy, you know? Even if something like cosmetology actually exists, it's probably unusual.
Not to mention that in Germany, studying is also about theory and barely about practice. But as far as I know, it's a system that seems to be odd everywhere else.

Don't want to offend anyone, really... but it's exotic to me. But made me consider asking a few classmates about it, maybe the girls know more ;)

Update: There seems to be at least one place that offers it... found an article that describes it as subject with decent opportunities, especially if you want to become a teacher at the "Berufsschule/Berufsfachschule", the kind of place where you do at least one part of your apprenticeship, if you do one.
Thanks for getting me into googling it :D

LauraLongLocks
December 24th, 2014, 10:22 PM
No... it doesn't exist as subject to study in Germany. Or it seems to be extremely rare (went through the list of subjects for most German unis)... things like that are considered jobs you do an apprenticeship for, opposed to more classically academic stuff like theology, history, biology, chemistry and philosophy, you know? Even if something like cosmetology actually exists, it's probably unusual.
Not to mention that in Germany, studying is also about theory and barely about practice. But as far as I know, it's a system that seems to be odd everywhere else.

Don't want to offend anyone, really... but it's exotic to me. But made me consider asking a few classmates about it, maybe the girls know more ;)

Update: There seems to be at least one place that offers it... found an article that describes it as subject with decent opportunities, especially if you want to become a teacher at the "Berufsschule/Berufsfachschule", the kind of place where you do at least one part of your apprenticeship, if you do one.
Thanks for getting me into googling it :D

Cosmetology is not something offered at universities, generally speaking, in the US. Cosmetology, or "beauty" school is a trade school, not an academic school, like a university. It is a subject that some colleges might offer in the US, but people who study cosmetology generally receive a certificate, not an associate, bachelor, master, or doctorate degree. It is not unlike learning to be an electrician, welder, dental hygienist, or flight attendant.

In Germany, are there places where people pay to have their hair cut, or have chemical processes done on their hair? If so, do they have to undergo any training or receive any sort of license to be allowed to do business? In the US, in order to legally be allowed to charge for haircuts and to perform chemical processes on hair, a person has to receive a license from the state where they do business. In order to receive this licensure, they have to be trained. Each state varies in how much training they require. In my state, cosmetology students graduate with 2000 hours of experience. After graduating from cosmetology school, they can apply for their license from the state. After they receive their license, they are legally allowed to work for pay doing hair (or fingernails and toenails, or skin treatments... depending on the type of education and license they received).

Did that help to explain a little better?

Edit: Frieseurin? Is that what hair stylists are called in Germany? That's what a US cosmetology student becomes. A hair stylist. Whatever training a frieseurin needs to be allowed to do hair in Germany is probably similar to what a US hair stylist does in cosmetology school.

Rainn
December 24th, 2014, 11:34 PM
Congrats.
Good luck with the rest of your course.

Here in Australia, you can study cosmetology through a private study area (training salon) however the most common way is through TAFE (a community college) although hair is separated from beauty. Then beauty is split into several different areas (Nails and makeup are separate in the lower courses which are taught along with general beauty, then massage is the next course up)

Platzhalter
December 25th, 2014, 01:44 AM
Cosmetology is not something offered at universities, generally speaking, in the US. Cosmetology, or "beauty" school is a trade school, not an academic school, like a university. It is a subject that some colleges might offer in the US, but people who study cosmetology generally receive a certificate, not an associate, bachelor, master, or doctorate degree. It is not unlike learning to be an electrician, welder, dental hygienist, or flight attendant.

In Germany, are there places where people pay to have their hair cut, or have chemical processes done on their hair? If so, do they have to undergo any training or receive any sort of license to be allowed to do business? In the US, in order to legally be allowed to charge for haircuts and to perform chemical processes on hair, a person has to receive a license from the state where they do business. In order to receive this licensure, they have to be trained. Each state varies in how much training they require. In my state, cosmetology students graduate with 2000 hours of experience. After graduating from cosmetology school, they can apply for their license from the state. After they receive their license, they are legally allowed to work for pay doing hair (or fingernails and toenails, or skin treatments... depending on the type of education and license they received).

Did that help to explain a little better?

Edit: Frieseurin? Is that what hair stylists are called in Germany? That's what a US cosmetology student becomes. A hair stylist. Whatever training a frieseurin needs to be allowed to do hair in Germany is probably similar to what a US hair stylist does in cosmetology school.

Okay, thanks, that realy was the best help you could give. Especially regarding the part that explains the system better (which appeared even more irritating than the subject itself).
In Germany, the school part is mostly for theory and education which might only partially be related to the subject - the practical, working part is often learned at a hair salon itself. (And as underpayed as the job tends to be later).

Halliday
December 25th, 2014, 02:50 AM
I would love to do a part time course in cosmetology. Not sure if I'd be able to do it though as I'm going on to study English Lit, Geography, Philosophy and Politics in my A-levels (UK post-16 qualification).

Katlette
December 25th, 2014, 03:47 AM
Okay, thanks, that realy was the best help you could give. Especially regarding the part that explains the system better (which appeared even more irritating than the subject itself).
In Germany, the school part is mostly for theory and education which might only partially be related to the subject - the practical, working part is often learned at a hair salon itself. (And as underpayed as the job tends to be later).

Of course you can study cosmetology in Germany - I know people who have! "Studying" does not imply it has any connection with a university. You can study at a beauty school or other vocational school or through an apprenticeship as well. :)

ETA: Oops, just noticed LauraLongLocks already explained much better than I could!