PDA

View Full Version : Get rid of the frizz

Edelweiss
December 22nd, 2014, 02:55 AM
Hi guys, I really need your help on this.

I tried moisture, oils, powders, nothing works.

Everytime I tie my hair up, I have horrible frizz everywhere on my head, I look so ridiculous. The only way to hide them is to let my hair down lol and if I secure it with pins, it doesn't last more than 1 hour+it still shows a bit.

Does anyone have a solution ? Pleaaaase :'(

If you need a picture to see what I'm talking about tell me !

Hotrox
December 22nd, 2014, 06:37 AM
Is it really frizz, or couldn't be new baby hairs or damaged hairs sticking out? I'm just wondering as the only cure for my frizzy days is tying my hair up!!

Have you tried conditioner only washing to keep the hair near the roots moisturised? Or maybe it's more a static problem, do you use a plastic comb or brush on your hair? You could try wooded or bone instead, this helps cut static.

Sorry, that's probably not much help, just my random thoughts!!

Madora
December 22nd, 2014, 07:50 AM
Hotrox is right. It could be baby hairs springing up all over. A pic would help. On the other hand, it it is the frizzies, then I'd suggest a few drops of mineral oil (aka baby oil) to tame those little flyaways. Johnson and Johnson makes a great baby oil. If you do decide to investigate mineral oil, be sure it contains only a fragrance plus the MO. Additives make MO less effective.

While MO works best on hair that has been clarified first, you can use it on damp hair. Use only 2 drops as the MO spreads like wildfire. Do NOT apply directly from the bottle to your hair. Instead, put 2 drops of MO in a small container, then take a cotton baby swab, dip it in the oil until it is fully oiled, then apply the soaked cotton swab to your hands..all fingers and palms. Then run your palms through your hair 5 or 6 times until the oil sheen has nearly vanished from your palms.

Mineral oil is very lightweight and is also a great detangler. It is dead cheap and washes out easily in your next shampoo.

Here is an interesting article written by former LHC member KTANI about moisturizing, frizz and using mineral oil: http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/mineral-oil-and-hair-care-and-skin.html

Halliday
December 22nd, 2014, 08:15 AM
COwashing? You could try that?

LongCurlyTress
December 22nd, 2014, 08:25 AM
Yep! My new silvers are springing up all over, especially in this damp/rainy weather. Madora's suggestion of mineral oil works and I use EVOO also. Just a tiny drop spread into the palms of my hands, then over my halo of silver frizz. I then use a BBB brush to smooth out the frizz when my hair is in a lwb. This does help, for awhile, but sadly this is the best temporary solution I have found so far. I will be watching this thread for further solutions. Curlygirls have halos I guess. :/

Ambrielle
December 22nd, 2014, 08:57 AM
i was wondering the same thing whether they were baby hairs or frizz. A picture would help perhaps. Last year i had a TON of new baby hairs sprouting all over my crown area, they looked wirey especially the greys. i panicked thinking it was breakage, turns out they are now blended in with the rest of my hair, as they got longer they don't stick out anymore.
As Madora said baby oil is your best bet to tame frizzies. I also use the fantasia serums when the weather gets humid and they seem to help even though i don't have much of a problem with frizz nowdays.

Panth
December 22nd, 2014, 10:09 AM
As others have said, is it baby hairs? Damage? Or are you curlier than you think?

I agree - a photo would be very helpful.

spidermom
December 22nd, 2014, 10:14 AM
For a smooth look, you could use styling gel. Wet your hands, add a dab of gel, rub it between your palms, then run your palms over the surface of your hair. If that doesn't work, pomade, styling wax, or styling paste will, but remember - a little goes a very long way. I find this stuff is best for a last step for the few really stubborn hairs that spring up. I'd run my finger over the surface of the styling product, then over the individual hairs that didn't stay down after I used the gel.

Anje
December 22nd, 2014, 10:16 AM
I'm thinking baby hairs (though do check about breakage on that) combined with the 2a hairtype. Frankly, it seems that most of us in the 1c-2a range complain about a bit of a halo. And/or devil horns. :wannabe: :twisted: (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=54163)

meteor
December 22nd, 2014, 01:30 PM
I agree with others, it could be new growth (baby hairs), in which case a bit of water, oil and/or flaxseed gel or aloe vera gel should help.

It could also be suppressed curliness or old damage, in which case I always recommend this considering stretching washes, conditioner-only washes, conditioner-wash-conditioner (CWC) or conditioning twice post-wash (WCC) methods for washing hair. Textured and frizz-prone hair tends to like more conditioner. LOC method (leave-in, oil, cream) method for styling can give you good results in frizz reduction, too.

Other things that should help:

- Sleep with hair contained (e.g. braided) on silk/satin pillow case or wear a silk/satin sleep cap (or other smooth material) - this really cuts down on frizz and tangles;

- Regularly use oils and/or oil/silicone serums on your canopy hair (generally speaking, occlusives/anti-humectants help cut down on frizz a lot);

- Ditch the brush (especially if it's one of those plastic ones with little balls on the tips), use your fingers and/or a seamless wide-tooth comb (preferably, wood/horn/resin) instead. Some people with textured hair can get away brushing with a soft boar bristle brush, but not everybody can;

- Avoid static-inducing materials: keep flannel, wool, plastic... away from your hair.

- Use a soft cotton T-shirt for drying hair post-wash and don't rub hair, just squeeze the water out super-gently. No terry-cloth towels: they are rough and increase frizz.

lapushka
December 22nd, 2014, 03:14 PM
You might try the LOC method after washing. A little bit of leave in, some oil/serum and optionally gel/styling cream. All in moderation, even in tiny amounts especially if you're barely wavy you don't need much product - which in part makes this an awesome way of doing your hair.

BTW, the link is in my signature. :) :flower:

Edelweiss
December 23rd, 2014, 05:27 AM
Thanks everyone for your help !

here's a picture so you can maybe tell me what it is... baby hair or damaged hair or anything...
I got these since forever tho but who knows if it's the exact same hair lol

http://i44.photobucket.com/albums/f21/Edelweiss949/8M3BjFTxjpgsmall2_zps926c3f1e.jpg (http://s44.photobucket.com/user/Edelweiss949/media/8M3BjFTxjpgsmall2_zps926c3f1e.jpg.html)

PS: Yes I looked ugly so... :laugh:

AlexDig
December 23rd, 2014, 06:11 AM
I second the suggestions for mineral oil and the LOC method. But based on the picture, I think it might just be effective if you do high-starting braids or fronttwists to get all the shorter pieces into your updos. I often do two side twists in the front that I secure with bony pins and then just a regular bun in the back with the remaining hair. If I don't do that, the curliness of the shorter pieces definitely make mine look like that as well!

Edelweiss
December 23rd, 2014, 06:19 AM
The LOC won't work for me unfortunately :/
Only a bit of coconut oil alone works for me if I really want a leave-in

Is it possible to get those in braids tho ?

Btw many of you recommended me mineral oils but I've never used it, I have a natural routine, and I always read everywhere in natural hair care websites that mineral oils would smother my hair, and damage it especially at long term. So I always tried to avoid it, but I'm not sure if it's right

To reply to the others, when I use the cowash method, it doesn't change anything and my comb is made of wood

lapushka
December 23rd, 2014, 10:56 AM
Btw many of you recommended me mineral oils but I've never used it, I have a natural routine, and I always read everywhere in natural hair care websites that mineral oils would smother my hair, and damage it especially at long term. So I always tried to avoid it, but I'm not sure if it's right

From ktani's blog: "But the research is clear that mineral oil outperforms vegetable oils and silicone for moisture and slip and more."
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.be/2012/04/conditioners-treatments-and-mineral-oil.html

meteor
December 23rd, 2014, 11:43 AM

That's a common misconception, often promoted by "natural" cosmetics companies.
Btw, petrolatum is natural, it's from the earth. Just as natural as clay or diatomaceous earth or seed oils, for example. :shrug:
It is widely used in cosmetics because it rarely causes allergic reactions (unlike plant-based oils), doesn't clog pores and provides a barrier of moisture on the skin and promotes wound healing. It's a more effective occlusive and emollient than plant-based oils, and it doesn't oxidize (doesn't go rancid leaving free-radicals behind), and it's incredibly well researched, so IMHO a lot more trust-worthy than plethora of new exotic and expensive oils that are often pushed by "organic" companies as the new solution to all problems.

Edelweiss
December 23rd, 2014, 11:52 AM
Well, maybe I should try...
But doesn't it cause build-up or splits in the long term ?
Will I need to clarify ?

Anje
December 23rd, 2014, 11:53 AM
From ktani's blog: "But the research is clear that mineral oil outperforms vegetable oils and silicone for moisture and slip and more."
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.be/2012/04/conditioners-treatments-and-mineral-oil.html

Really, huh? It just makes my hair sticky.

meteor
December 23rd, 2014, 12:03 PM
Well, maybe I should try...
But doesn't it cause build-up or splits in the long term ?
Will I need to clarify ?

It washes off fine, if you use normal cleansers. Even things like soapnuts (aritha) or sulfate-free shampoos do a great job washing it off, especially if you only use a couple drops, which is quite enough. :)

Edelweiss
December 23rd, 2014, 12:55 PM
I only use natural shampoos without sulfates, eggs or cowash except one that I barely use, a Lush one that contains sodium lauryl sulfate. I only use it when my hair needs a bit of a stronger shampoo.
So do you think it could work with eggs or cowash ? Or ayurveda powders (even though I barely use it as shampoo, it happens sometimes)

Sorry if I'm asking too much questions, but it's the first time I consider trying mineral oils so I'm a bit lost

lapushka
December 23rd, 2014, 12:57 PM
That's a common misconception, often promoted by "natural" cosmetics companies.
Btw, petrolatum is natural, it's from the earth. Just as natural as clay or diatomaceous earth or seed oils, for example. :shrug:
It is widely used in cosmetics because it rarely causes allergic reactions (unlike plant-based oils), doesn't clog pores and provides a barrier of moisture on the skin and promotes wound healing. It's a more effective occlusive and emollient than plant-based oils, and it doesn't oxidize (doesn't go rancid leaving free-radicals behind), and it's incredibly well researched, so IMHO a lot more trust-worthy than plethora of new exotic and expensive oils that are often pushed by "organic" companies as the new solution to all problems.

I have extremely dry skin and had acne on top of that. I use Nivea (blue tin) cream as a moisturizer and that was the only thing back then when I still had acne that never upset my skin. I'm rid of the acne and still use the Nivea. Have been using it for many many years! (contains mineral oil as well) Just to say that... don't be fooled. Mineral oil is not bad for you.

lapushka
December 23rd, 2014, 12:59 PM
I only use natural shampoos without sulfates, eggs or cowash except one that I barely use, a Lush one that contains sodium lauryl sulfate. I only use it when my hair needs a bit of a stronger shampoo.
So do you think it could work with eggs or cowash ? Or ayurveda powders (even though I barely use it as shampoo, it happens sometimes)

Sorry if I'm asking too much questions, but it's the first time I consider trying mineral oils so I'm a bit lost

CO should definitely get the oil out, especially if you only use a few drops of it after washing (which is all you need). You just put a few drops in the palm of your hand, rub your palms together, then spread it throughout your lengths.

Edelweiss
December 23rd, 2014, 01:09 PM
Well I think I"m gonna try. But do you think I could only use it on my frizz ? That's where I need it the most.
Knowing that they do not show up after washing, only when my hair is dry.