PDA

View Full Version : Cutting to hurt others

Chiaroscuro
December 21st, 2014, 11:26 AM
I saw the link below elsewhere, and it called to mind that I see a lot of discussion here about post-breakup hair chopping.

But have you ever chopped PRE-breakup in a conscious or unconscious signal of emotional/physical withdrawal from a partner? Have you ever cut to hurt someone else (a partner, a parent, etc.) in order to COMMENCE a further distancing? Have you been in such a situation but come out of it on a positive note?

http://www.andtheylivedhappilyeverafter.com/when-she-cuts-her-hairlook-out.html

ARG
December 21st, 2014, 11:40 AM
I've done this before, it was a way of getting a clean start.

After living in a military town for quite a while, women pick up on these things sooner than men. Whenever a wife shows up with a very drastic change of style, you'll see/hear women gossiping about the marriage, and sure enough within a few weeks/months you start to hear about troubles in the relationship or even the divorce/separation announcement on Facebook, of all places. The few times that relationship troubles haven't been the catalyst, it's usually due to an impending move, deployment, or other life changing news within the family.

Wavelength
December 21st, 2014, 11:42 AM
...wut.

So let me get this straight, when we decide to cut OUR hair, it's nothing to do with US or a decision that women are making for ourselves. Oh no. It's totally all about the GUY, because clearly the man in our lives is so central to our existence that even cutting our own hair is ALL ABOUT HIM.

:bs:

I guess I better tell my mother that she should've divorced my father after she cut off her long hair, then. She had hair past her waist, but she cut it back to her shoulders. Funny that she stayed with him for another 20 years until his death, but I guess that shouldn't have happened, right?

(She cut it because she started working at a psychiatric hospital as a nurse, and patients would often grab at hair. Guess that sort of possibility didn't occur to the person writing this article.)

pearlsandpinups
December 21st, 2014, 11:48 AM
Maybe that article is true for some women, I don't know, I don't claim to know why people do what they do. I do know that in the past when I've chopped my long hair short, it had nothing to do with relationship troubles (Been with by husband for almost 9 years now, VERY happily, and been through lots of different hairdos!) or even emotional issues.. I was just bored with my hair, is all. If I had decided to cut my hair and my husband started giving me the 3rd degree on if "everything was okay" and if "something deeper was going on", it'd annoy the crap out of me and be VERY weird. (And fortunately out of character for him.)

embee
December 21st, 2014, 02:49 PM
Heh. When my marriage was on the way down I did chop my hair to a very short almost "boy cut". This was after I'd made the decision (in my mind) that it was over. Once we began the official stuff, I began to grow my hair out again.

Minds are funny things, and this thread is the first time I considered that chopping my hair might have been distancing myself or changing myself, or trying to make a new self-image. I just did it, did not think about why, it seemed like a cool idea.

hexbomb
December 21st, 2014, 10:25 PM
The first time in my life I cut my hair was when I was twelve. A gang of boys had molested me for months, and every time they caught me by my braid. I was too afraid to tell anyone, and it only came out after I asked to cut my hair. After everything I went through, despite changing schools and everyone knowing, I still chopped off two feet of braid, because I felt it was somehow tainted. I kept chopping shorter and shorter through my teens, and have only started growing it again in the past year. I think for me, it took time and growth and maturity for me to stop blaming my hair for what happened.

It's not the same as a break-up, but similar.

mz_butterfly
December 21st, 2014, 10:47 PM
No. I would never cut my hair because I thought it would affect someone else. Because what anyone else thinks of my hair matters not. My hair is for me. If my SO loves my hair as much as I do, that's a bonus.

OleanderTime
December 21st, 2014, 10:49 PM
this is the most ridiculous article ever

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 21st, 2014, 10:54 PM
The first time in my life I cut my hair was when I was twelve. A gang of boys had molested me for months, and every time they caught me by my braid. I was too afraid to tell anyone, and it only came out after I asked to cut my hair. After everything I went through, despite changing schools and everyone knowing, I still chopped off two feet of braid, because I felt it was somehow tainted. I kept chopping shorter and shorter through my teens, and have only started growing it again in the past year. I think for me, it took time and growth and maturity for me to stop blaming my hair for what happened.

That is heart breaking, I'm so sorry. No one should ever have to go through that. :cry:

truepeacenik
December 21st, 2014, 11:07 PM
That site is full of twaddle.
It's the girly side of the pick up artist coin.

I've never used my hair to push away someone.

Adiro
December 21st, 2014, 11:11 PM
No. I did change my colour or cut several times in my young years, but it was for myself, trying to alter my own mood/mental state at the time....

Nadine <3
December 21st, 2014, 11:35 PM
Hm...Not to hurt others, noo...but the last time I chopped it all off I did it simply because my boyfriend told me I shouldn't cut my hair. I did it to show him I could do whatever I wanted with it, and let me tell you the look on his face when he saw what I had done was so worth it lol

I didn't tell him this but I regretted it and found LHC a mere 2 days later. Now I'm growing it..I know he's happy and loves it, but he doesn't try to tell me what he thinks I should do with it unless I specifically ask...

FallingDarkness
December 22nd, 2014, 12:55 AM
LOL. That article made me laugh so hard.
I'll never cut my hair to hurt others, and I don't think that having long locks necessarily means feminine beauty. :/ I'm not gonna cut off my hair to prove a point, or to show 'distance' between me and anyone else.
It just seems stupid.

Majorane
December 22nd, 2014, 02:42 AM
Ah, this article must be written by my ex. Because I did chop a bob shortly before we broke up. That was the sign he should have paid attention to. Not all those times where I told him that hey, maybe we should break up, because I didn't like him as much any more and could he please stop hitting on my friends. It was the hair I cut to thwart him that was my declaration of war to him, oh noble and gentle soul.

What a horrible article.
It's no accident that stressful or unpleasant days have been dubbed "bad hair days", since the emotions a woman feels when things aren't going well are almost as unpleasant as what she feels when she just can't get her hair to look nice or lie flat or conform to the style she wants.

Yeah. Because finding my dad drunk, unconscious and half-DED in the shed after a suicide attempt was almost as bad a feeling as yesterday, when my hair just simply didn't want to look nice. And when my poor old grandma was dying, but too scared to let go, and I sat with her and held her hand while singing lullabies to ease her terrors while she was dying, yeah, that came prettly close to the sucky feeling I had when my accent braids came undone last weekend and my hairstyle just flopped down during a party. Yeah, almost as bad as a bad hair day that was. Yup.

......that she is going through something very emotional, very unpleasant, and more than likely, something very much related to you.

Yes! Yes! Because the sucky feeling I had when my entire family came crashing down my ears, making me feel that the pillars I had build my life on for more than 25 years were all gone, fake and a lie, that feeling of having the whole world on my shoulders because everyone in my family went bat**** crazy or died on me all together at once, that had SO MUCH TO DO WITH MY SIGNIFICANT OTHER.

Why does everything we do have to be for men? Why can't I be my own person? Why am I always an extension of someone with a penis? In what world do the people that write this **** in, live? Because in MY world, the women are the decision makers, the pushers, and the strong ones with a spine. Most men I know are far happier following than leading,and most women I know have more power than all Disney princesses combined.

I am SO MUCH on my soapbox right now! Someone pour me a cocktail! Argh.

Freija
December 22nd, 2014, 05:28 AM
Someone pour me a cocktail! Argh.

Cocktail well-earned. Yes, so much, to everything you've said. That article is repulsive.

gnome82
December 22nd, 2014, 05:47 AM

I am very sorry that this happened to you. Good on you for growing it now.

Majorane
December 22nd, 2014, 06:04 AM
Oh my dear FlyingSpaghettiMonster, you should read that article about the penis that is written in the 'sex' articles section. It basically says that 1) every womans' desire is to get married and have babies 2) the only way to get married is through a guy (not true! I can marry women! Well, only one at a time really, but still) and 3) babies come from penisses. So everything we desire in life come through penisses, hence, men and penisses are to be worshipped.

Now don't get me wrong, I am in an sexually active heterosexual relationship, so I absolutely have a fondness for my partners' private area, but his butt is so much cuter. And his face, and, you know, his personality. I'd totally date that. Oh wait, I did. ....it's the 'best' hate-read I've had in a while! And it made me retch a bit in my mouth.

A friend of friends apparently got engaged, and they greeted everyone at this weekends' get together with the flash of the ring. And then they went on my significant other why we haven't yet married, after almost 7 years, he should really pop the question, it's what I would really want, 'make her your woman'. What? What? I am my own woman! I make more money than he does! I can buy my own rings! Whut? Why, people, why? It's 2014! People mispronounce my last name all the time so they say Majorane 'she who sh*ts through cracks' by accident, I am NOT going to give that much of an epic name up for a guy.

On the other hand they were nice people, and she had amazing hair. Freija, thanks for the drink, let me pour you another one and let's marinade our brains in alcohol together to bleach this madness out from our synapses!

fiğrildi
December 22nd, 2014, 06:07 AM

Agree. I just read the first sentence... that was enough.

fiğrildi
December 22nd, 2014, 06:22 AM
Oh my dear FlyingSpaghettiMonster, you should read that article about the penis that is written in the 'sex' articles section. It basically says that 1) every womans' desire is to get married and have babies 2) the only way to get married is through a guy (not true! I can marry women! Well, only one at a time really, but still) and 3) babies come from penisses. So everything we desire in life come through penisses, hence, men and penisses are to be worshipped.

That article is priceless. I don't know if I want to laugh or cry :laugh::laugh::laugh:

lapushka
December 22nd, 2014, 07:26 AM
So wait, this is how that article starts...

"When your wife, who has had long hair since you've known her, suddenly decides one day that a nice shoulder length bob would flatter her more, or worse, comes home out of the blue one day with all her hair hacked off, look out. This is probably around the time she'll stop having sex with you, and probably around the time she'll start mentioning breaking up, or divorce. At the very least, you should understand that she is going through something very emotional, very unpleasant, and more than likely, something very much related to you."

What a ridiculous load of BS! I stopped reading after that!

Amapola
December 22nd, 2014, 07:48 AM
Majorane, you crack me up... :rollin: I agree: the only thing to do here is have another drink and laugh! :beercheer:

Lady melissa
December 22nd, 2014, 08:03 AM
I chopped my hair twice AFTER a relationship ended, just to start physically over all new, it was just something i felt i needed the do to start over, it had nothing to do with hurting the guy....i always regretted it afterwards and i'll never do it again...
They do say that your long hair (spiritual view) is a carrier of all your energy and emotions and if you keep it long, you carry all that stuff with you (that's why buddhist shave their hair among other reasons)...so, maybe on an unconscious level, people already cut their hair BEFORE as a way of breaking with the past, the relationship they don't want to be connected with anymore...i find this a very interesting concept.

Upside Down
December 22nd, 2014, 08:17 AM
Is that website written by a woman? I really think women need to value themselves more, much more. Those articles are just depressing.

CousinItt
December 22nd, 2014, 08:56 AM
I didn't have to read the article, thanks to Majorane's summary. I think she's said it all. I'll buy a round!

pearlsandpinups
December 22nd, 2014, 09:16 AM
Ah, this article must be written by my ex. Because I did chop a bob shortly before we broke up. That was the sign he should have paid attention to. Not all those times where I told him that hey, maybe we should break up, because I didn't like him as much any more and could he please stop hitting on my friends. It was the hair I cut to thwart him that was my declaration of war to him, oh noble and gentle soul.

What a horrible article.
It's no accident that stressful or unpleasant days have been dubbed "bad hair days", since the emotions a woman feels when things aren't going well are almost as unpleasant as what she feels when she just can't get her hair to look nice or lie flat or conform to the style she wants.

Yeah. Because finding my dad drunk, unconscious and half-DED in the shed after a suicide attempt was almost as bad a feeling as yesterday, when my hair just simply didn't want to look nice. And when my poor old grandma was dying, but too scared to let go, and I sat with her and held her hand while singing lullabies to ease her terrors while she was dying, yeah, that came prettly close to the sucky feeling I had when my accent braids came undone last weekend and my hairstyle just flopped down during a party. Yeah, almost as bad as a bad hair day that was. Yup.

......that she is going through something very emotional, very unpleasant, and more than likely, something very much related to you.

Yes! Yes! Because the sucky feeling I had when my entire family came crashing down my ears, making me feel that the pillars I had build my life on for more than 25 years were all gone, fake and a lie, that feeling of having the whole world on my shoulders because everyone in my family went bat**** crazy or died on me all together at once, that had SO MUCH TO DO WITH MY SIGNIFICANT OTHER.

Why does everything we do have to be for men? Why can't I be my own person? Why am I always an extension of someone with a penis? In what world do the people that write this **** in, live? Because in MY world, the women are the decision makers, the pushers, and the strong ones with a spine. Most men I know are far happier following than leading,and most women I know have more power than all Disney princesses combined.

I totally agree with most everything you said, that article was ridiculous! Though from my experience I've met just as many men who are leaders as women, I haven't noticed (personally) any trend of the men in my life just wanting to follow along, haha. I'm glad for this though, because I love that my husband is a leader and not a spineless jellyfish!

neko_kawaii
December 22nd, 2014, 09:20 AM
Now, there is a word for seeing significant images in random noise: Pareidolia
Is there a word for seeing symbolism where there is none?

Entangled
December 22nd, 2014, 11:09 AM
Yes, much of the article was laughable. However, I think its biggest flaw was the uncompromising language. Yes, I think some people DO cut their hair as an outlet, and that article is proof that some people do hold those attitudes. However, tons of people DON'T, and so the validity of the article goes out the window. Some of the points are true. Sometimes people cut their hair when they are upset and you should pay attention to it. However, a haircut is NOT a sure sure sign that something is wrong. It can go both ways.
Yes, for many, long hair is a symbol of beauty. Yes, there ARE people who want to look nice for their man. That's not everyone. I think all of the article's points are valid, except where it claims that its point of view is universal. Just my two cents.

furnival
December 22nd, 2014, 11:26 AM
Majorane, that was an absolutely splendid rant :p

This is the bit that made froth start coming out of my nostrils (and not just because my pedant-o-meter went off the scale at the use of illicit):
We spend thousands of dollars a year on shampoos, conditioners, hair dyes, highlights, trims, perms and hair accessories, partly for the pleasure it gives us to make a part of ourselves as beautiful as possible, but mostly to illicit that turning head or that smile of delight on the faces of men we admire.

:puke: :puke: :puke: Gah... My brain...Can I have a cocktail too please?

embee
December 22nd, 2014, 11:34 AM
I agree the article is absurd, and Majorane, your rant is *much* better than the article. :)

Years ago there was a song: "I'm gonna wash that man right out of my hair" - and it was a breaking up song (not that it worked like that in the movie if I remember right, but that was the intent of the girl at the time). And I was cutting my DH out of my hair - and my mind and my life. It's a wonder I didn't shave my head. So for me there was something that clicked in that article.

Islandgrrl
December 22nd, 2014, 11:54 AM
Wow. I call :bull:

Every single time I've cut my hair short (and it's only been a couple of times) it's been....wait for it....because I wanted to cut my hair. Period. It has never had anything to do with external forces or other people (except after my second baby was born and I had the worst shed of my life and my hair looked horrendous, and I still think that was about my self-perception than anything else).

I have had plenty of emotional turmoil in my life. Not once did that result in a haircut. :bigeyes:

Panth
December 22nd, 2014, 12:01 PM

What a horrible article.

Now don't get me wrong, I am in an sexually active heterosexual relationship, so I absolutely have a fondness for my partners' private area, but his butt is so much cuter. And his face, and, you know, his personality. I'd totally date that. Oh wait, I did. ....it's the 'best' hate-read I've had in a while! And it made me retch a bit in my mouth.

A friend of friends apparently got engaged, and they greeted everyone at this weekends' get together with the flash of the ring. And then they went on my significant other why we haven't yet married, after almost 7 years, he should really pop the question, it's what I would really want, 'make her your woman'. What? What? I am my own woman! I make more money than he does! I can buy my own rings! Whut? Why, people, why? It's 2014! People mispronounce my last name all the time so they say Majorane 'she who sh*ts through cracks' by accident, I am NOT going to give that much of an epic name up for a guy.

On the other hand they were nice people, and she had amazing hair. Freija, thanks for the drink, let me pour you another one and let's marinade our brains in alcohol together to bleach this madness out from our synapses!

*applauds*

tokugawa.miyako
December 22nd, 2014, 01:21 PM
Yes, because whenever a woman makes a decision, especially a dramatic one, she has to have some mysterious "real reason" for doing it. And of course, that "real reason" must revolve around men. :bs:

This is really silly. It is rather unfortunate that this whole site appears to be run by a woman. I'm used to some men thinking this way, but it's sad to see a woman perpetuating this crap.

hexbomb
December 22nd, 2014, 02:37 PM
I think for many people, hair is tied to emotion. Many cultures tie hair to mourning and death rites, or spiritual rites. Shearing hair when mourning occurs in Levantine cultures, some Celtic and Germanic cultures, and most aboriginal cultures in Oceania. Victorians had whole movements of 'hair art' and would collect shed hair, or even cut the hair of loved ones after death for mourning brooches and jewelry. I think many people tie hair to how they feel. When my friends get depressed, they usually change their hair to make themselves feel better -- my friends usually go the dye route, but some people cut. If someone is in a relationship and cuts their hair off because it makes them feel better, it can alleviate tension in a relationship for awhile, but the relationship will still be rocky and eventually it will come to a head, hair or no hair. does the hair cause the problem? No. Can it be a sign of issues? Yes. Is that article mostly ridiculous, irrational and inaccurate? Absolutely.

door72067
December 22nd, 2014, 03:15 PM
I almost did it once...but didn't because I realized that if I had to do something so dramatic to elicit a response, there were deeper issues needing to be dealt with

Caldonia Sun
December 22nd, 2014, 03:52 PM
I guess in some cases it could be true, but it was not for me. I have enjoyed wearing my hair long, very short and everything in between over the years and it had nothing to do with a man. It was the fun of changing styles and doing something completely different.

Majorane
December 22nd, 2014, 03:52 PM
I'm going through a feminism spell lately, hene my rant, and it's really nice to get pats on the head for that, you know. Thanks for that. I'm now happily sipping a port while sitting on the grass with my soapbox to lean against. Anyone that wants a drink, Furnival I'm looking at you, feel free to help yourself to my liquor rack and our rather imoressive whisky collection.

I think it's really sad, and a bit frightening, that some women make another person so much the A to Z of their lives. We're not a solitary species by nature, and it's nice to depend on others and to admit that others are needed for your happiness. But making everything about the other one? What if that other one falls away? Won't you then miss the entire foundation to your life, and will it not be your fault that he fell away? How to continue then? But maybe that's not as frightening as I think it is. Sort of like how religious people think it must be so lonely for atheists, because they don't believe in a bigger plan, while atheists find the lack of greater plan refreshing and think 'oh poor believers, they can never be truly free'. And both believe their way of life gives the most freedom and happiness. Maybe there's another side to this, too, that we don't see because we're so happy with our ways.

Any thoughts?

Kherome
December 22nd, 2014, 03:59 PM

Agreed...I mean seriously. I guess the author thinks that women only act/react to things involving a man because women can't possibly have motives that don't involve a man somehow.

SThr
December 22nd, 2014, 04:02 PM
I thought it was interesting that they brought up Jennifer Aniston cutting her hair right after her wedding. I saw an article just the other day about how 'all women cut their hair after they get married because they no longer have to keep it nice because they're no longer trying to get a man to marry them'. *gags all around*

Majorane
December 22nd, 2014, 04:14 PM
Afterthought. I have done some things to my hair that were done because of inner turmoil. A year and a half ago I bleached my ends and then dipdyed them. I had been growing out my hair for a while already back then, and it was the ombre or a major chop. So, yes, inner turmoil definately can be a cause of a hair change. But is that a direct result from a relationship with another human? We're a very social type of animal, so almost all inner turmoil can be traced some way or another to other humans. Even if, for instance, a landslide would kill my sister (which I don't have) and that would cause me to be sad, and cut my hair, one could say it was my sister that 'caused' the hairstyle sadness. But it would be just as right to say it was the horrid events of the devatating landslide, or my symbolism of starting a new life after a disaster, or me being irrational and misdirecting my hurt to my innocent hair, or me wanting to force change from the universe by changing myself, or me offering my hair up to the alien lord Mzulquibzy in hopes of reversing the landslide. -->Is it a human causing the cut (sis) or a non-human cause (landslide) and does it matter? I'm all for finding deeper meanings, but there is such a thing as over-analyzing and tying everthing to the actions of someone else. Which is easy. We live in herds. All upsetting things we experience involve other humans. So by default, all coping behaviour is fuelled by and intended for others if you think we're as causal as is stated in this article.

But we're not, so poop.

tigereye
December 22nd, 2014, 04:30 PM
I'm going through a feminism spell lately, hene my rant, and it's really nice to get pats on the head for that, you know. Thanks for that. I'm now happily sipping a port while sitting on the grass with my soapbox to lean against. Anyone that wants a drink, Furnival I'm looking at you, feel free to help yourself to my liquor rack and our rather imoressive whisky collection.

I think it's really sad, and a bit frightening, that some women make another person so much the A to Z of their lives. We're not a solitary species by nature, and it's nice to depend on others and to admit that others are needed for your happiness. But making everything about the other one? What if that other one falls away? Won't you then miss the entire foundation to your life, and will it not be your fault that he fell away? How to continue then? But maybe that's not as frightening as I think it is. Sort of like how religious people think it must be so lonely for atheists, because they don't believe in a bigger plan, while atheists find the lack of greater plan refreshing and think 'oh poor believers, they can never be truly free'. And both believe their way of life gives the most freedom and happiness. Maybe there's another side to this, too, that we don't see because we're so happy with our ways.

Any thoughts?

*Plonks down on grass with a glass of Isle of Jura* I gotta admit, as someone who is a single girl at nearly classic, I have no doubt that some guys here would probably even be put off by the length of my hair. Just as I'm put off when guys attempt to flirt by talking about my "gorgeous scottish accent". :rolleyes: Regardless, I keep my hair and my accent, because I like my hair, and my accent and dialect is just a part of me. I spend money on shampoo, conditioner (cough,hair toys, cough...) to keep my hair longer than most guys would like, because I liked it, and have plans to grow it even longer, so I'd think it was pretty obvious that I'm not doing it just to get a guy. I'd like to think that if a guy liked me, my hair wouldn't make a difference.
The only time I really cut my hair was when I went to uni. That was inner turmoil, but it was my own. I was stressing about leaving home, how I would manage to keep my grades up, how I would manage money-wise in an expensive city. None really related to a significant other, since I didn't even have one, and searching for one was the last thing I needed to add to my list of stresses.

swearnsue
December 22nd, 2014, 04:36 PM
I'll bet a whiskey sour that the article was written by a man.

Times when I've changed hair style or color was always when I was job hunting. Looking for a job, not a man.

Majorane
December 22nd, 2014, 04:44 PM
*Plonks down on grass with a glass of Isle of Jura* :beerchug:

The only time I really cut my hair was when I went to uni. That was inner turmoil, but it was my own. I was stressing about leaving home, how I would manage to keep my grades up, how I would manage money-wise in an expensive city. None really related to a significant other, since I didn't even have one, and searching for one was the last thing I needed to add to my list of stresses.
Nono, you're loking at it wrong. You cut your hair because you broke up with a man that provided for you (your father/home) and it caused you tobe without a provider in the expensive city, because what kind of decent man would want to provide for a lady without nice long hair? Don't make this all about yourself, girl! Think of the bigger picture. Think of the penis!!

*rolls through the grass, laughing*

lapushka
December 22nd, 2014, 05:08 PM
Don't make this all about yourself, girl! Think of the bigger picture. Think of the penis!!

*rolls through the grass, laughing*

LOLOLOL! :spitting:

Panth
December 23rd, 2014, 01:54 AM
I thought it was interesting that they brought up Jennifer Aniston cutting her hair right after her wedding. I saw an article just the other day about how 'all women cut their hair after they get married because they no longer have to keep it nice because they're no longer trying to get a man to marry them'. *gags all around*

Notice, though, how the mainstream trend is to grow your hair far longer than you normally would, so that you can do a fancy hairdo specifically for the wedding? So, this post-wedding haircutting is really just re-setting to the pre-wedding-prep hair.