PDA

View Full Version : Help getting my curls sorted once and for all - please? : )

Freija
December 21st, 2014, 06:21 AM
Wow, my hair has been a work in progress since 2008, when I first started to grow it, and to consider that maybe it's not just horrible and puffy-straight (...'puffy-straight'?! Seventeen-year-old-me, what were you even thinking...?) but actually a bit curly.

Cue experiments with henna, which ended in another big chop in 2010, experiments with layers, products, the CG method, and an allergic reaction that basically ground all further experimentation to a halt for the next two years. Recently I've been bouncing between fighting to get my curls to do what I want, giving up, and reaching for the 'cones and hairdryer. Sometimes I decide my hair is curlier than I think it is, sometimes straighter, always it's frizzy and doesn't clump and hold properly...

This is what my hair looked like this morning:

https://lh4.googleusercontent.com/oQe1VjW4YZiZ9zDT5Wa92EUZKtht6RgTDr0uh1hQfFU=w174-h259-p-no

Last night I washed it, clarifying it with SLS and SLeS to remove yet another failed experiment with 'cones (after this I'm going CG again, with low-'poo). I then soaked it in a rich 'cone-free conditioner (Garnier UB) and bunned it for half an hour before rinsing it out. I have learnt that I cannot comb, detangle, pick or fingercomb my hair after washing it - even when it is wet - without messing up my curl pattern and pulling it straight and fuzzy, so instead I just squeezed it out a little, ran some extra conditioner through the ends, then re-wet the whole lot under the tap. I parted it with the end of a tail-comb, without actually touching any other section or combing any of it through. Then I 'plopped' it in a towel for an hour or so, still soaking. I went to bed, and transferred it from the towel into a loose 'pineapple' ponytail on top of my head.

When I woke up, I smoothed/twisted three drops of mineral oil over it to try to smooth the frizzies, which helped a bit initially.

But... it is still very frizzy (partly from moving around with it on a cotton pillowcase overnight, I'm sure) and the definition is fluffing away as I type. If I take individual frizzy hairs, some of them are such tight s-waves or spirals that they look almost kinky, but that pattern doesn't carry through my hair as a whole, so I just get left with very little clumping and definition. I can't help but feel that this morning, I've got so close to curly awesomeness, but yet again, have fallen short.

I think in that picture I look maybe a 2b - but I'm absolutely certain that I have more curl than that. I just really need help bringing it out, please!

CurlyGrace
December 21st, 2014, 06:38 AM
I can't help but feel that this morning, I've got so close to curly awesomeness, but yet again, have fallen short.

ugghhh I know this feeling! ^^^ Fortunately for myself I have been having better hair days lately :D Try a CG-approved leave-in conditioner and combing your hair only when you are in the shower with conditioner in your hair. Rinsing product out of your hair with cold water has helped reduce frizz in my hair. Your could also try gently blow-drying your hair upside down with a diffuser, I'm 3b and that gets curls to show up more with me. You should definitely purchase a silk pillowcase or a silk sleeping cap, that has really helped minimize the amount of frizz in my hair.

I see that you have wavy hair, but I think that CurlyPenny (https://www.youtube.com/user/CurlyPenny)'s youtube channel could be very helpful to you. Sorry that this wasn't the greatest post ever, hopefully some other more experienced members will reply as well.

lapushka
December 21st, 2014, 06:41 AM
Looking at the picture, it looks absolutely perfect to me. And frizz? Where is that frizz? Honestly! :)

Halliday
December 21st, 2014, 07:04 AM
Your hair looks veeeeery like mine - almost identical bar the colour. You look 2c to me, and there is no frizz! I would stay away from the cones and hairdryer and just use a mild shampoo with lots of conditioner.

MedusaWarrior
December 21st, 2014, 07:33 AM
I think if you're trying to wear your hair curlier you need to incorporate a styler into your routine; something like a gel or cream. And then work on your technique for scrunching your curls.

Freija
December 21st, 2014, 07:36 AM
Thank you! I will definitely try a silk pillowcase, and I'll check out the Youtube channel. I already use a leave-in conditioner (well, I leave in a pea-sized blob of my 'cone-free/protein-free rinse-out conditioner), and I'm not combing/brushing/etc-ing my hair after stepping out of the shower. I'm definitely wondering about a styling product - I seemed to get good smoothing and slightly better definition with mineral oil this morning, smoothed on once the hair was mostly-dry, but the effect didn't last at all. So maybe it needs something for hold? Maybe a bit more conditioner left in when my hair is still wet, or a gel or curl cream? Styling products (beyond oils) are something I have barely any experience with at all, so I would love some specific advice, please. : )

Thank you so much for the nice comments! I think that picture maybe doesn't show the frizz, though, and it's also started falling out of the clumps more since then. I've tried to grab a slightly better picture of what I mean:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--twlYFuMf9A/VJbYraX_6FI/AAAAAAAAAWk/kW5xkDSzzcg/w227-h535-no/DSC_0071.JPG

Annalouise
December 21st, 2014, 07:42 AM
I think you should pay careful attention to what products you are using.:)
And by the way your hair doesn't look frizzy at all. It looks nice to me.

MedusaWarrior
December 21st, 2014, 07:51 AM
If you're in the UK something cheap and simple to experiment with is Boots Curl Creme - http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Essentials-Curl-Creme-250ml_927582/

When you're done washing your hair, part it and soak it with water to get your curls to clump. Then smooth some of the creme down the length of your hair and scrunch. Really scrunch, it brings out the curls. Then plop using a t-shirt. Then when you feel your hair is ready to dry take your hair out of the plop and scrunch again with the t-shirt. This gets out excess product and water but still reinforces the curl pattern. Then you can air dry or use a hair dryer. Again, you'll find the best routine for you when you're experimenting; just tweak different areas of the routine to fit with your hair.

If you have more questions just ask :)

Freija
December 21st, 2014, 08:05 AM
Oh, thank you so much! I'm definitely going to get some tomorrow, and will try it out, along with the scrunching technique. : )

If you're in the UK something cheap and simple to experiment with is Boots Curl Creme - http://www.boots.com/en/Boots-Essentials-Curl-Creme-250ml_927582/

When you're done washing your hair, part it and soak it with water to get your curls to clump. Then smooth some of the creme down the length of your hair and scrunch. Really scrunch, it brings out the curls. Then plop using a t-shirt. Then when you feel your hair is ready to dry take your hair out of the plop and scrunch again with the t-shirt. This gets out excess product and water but still reinforces the curl pattern. Then you can air dry or use a hair dryer. Again, you'll find the best routine for you when you're experimenting; just tweak different areas of the routine to fit with your hair.

If you have more questions just ask :)

Wosie
December 21st, 2014, 08:32 AM
Freija, Your frizz reminds me much of my own. It's seldom noticeable in pictures from afar, but once you get close you can see it. I think it's something that's a part of having wavy or curly hair, as some hairs will always want to separate from the 'big block' of hair. :p It looks quite natural to me, if the hair's wavy/curly. Either way, I'm also struggling with frizz, and I can also vouch for silk pillowcases. :agree: ...I also use lots of conditioner and I do a weekly deep conditioning. Plus daily oiling (argan or coconut).

If I find out about something else that works, I'll get back to you!

(By the way, you've got beautiful and soft-looking hair! :D)

Ambrielle
December 21st, 2014, 08:35 AM
am i the only one who doesn't mind a bit of frizz? :D honestly i think it's beautiful and natural to some wavy and curly hair types. i much more prefer it to the sleeker look on our hair type. Saying that i don't see any frizz in yours, just luscious defined waves :crush: i'd say you're a mix of 2C and 2B. As my hair got considerably longer the weight of it started to stretch the waves a bit more, i get a mix of 2B and 2C in the longer lenghts whereas in my shorter layers that i am growing out they are much tighter (2C) so this may or may not happen to yours.

evelynmosby
December 21st, 2014, 08:40 AM
I have a bit of wave to my hair and feel like Freija that it could be even more wavy but if you comb it out wet or dry with combs or fingers it looks frizzy, I tried products for curly hair before but they weigh my hair down and it looses all its wave. I did notice that one day after doing my honey/water treatment for dandruff that it kept a really nice wave. What happened was I was in a hurry and instead of getting in the shower to rinse it out like I normally do, I just used the shower hose to only rinse my head while kneeling at the tub and I was in a hurry so I didn't rinse for very long. I think maybe most of it stayed in my length after being rinsed off my scalp. Before last night I had never heard of CG method so I didn't consciously plop or anything but I think I sorta did because I just piled it on my head in a micro fiber towel. This may be an experiment I may try in the future. I really think diluting some the heavier products for people with more defined curls may help those who have this frizz or loss of wave/curl problem.

lapushka
December 21st, 2014, 09:21 AM
Thank you so much for the nice comments! I think that picture maybe doesn't show the frizz, though, and it's also started falling out of the clumps more since then. I've tried to grab a slightly better picture of what I mean:

https://lh6.googleusercontent.com/--twlYFuMf9A/VJbYraX_6FI/AAAAAAAAAWk/kW5xkDSzzcg/w227-h535-no/DSC_0071.JPG

I'm sorry but that's not frizz, hon, that's just the nature of wavy hair.

I use the LOC method, you may try that - it's wonderful for fighting frizz & keeping moisture in the hair! (link is in my signature). You really don't need to use much of each product and the gel/styling cream can be left out if you want.

jeanniet
December 21st, 2014, 10:27 AM
Everyone has frizz! The only hairtype that really gets very little is 1a. The media has manipulated us into thinking that a) frizz is ugly; b) no one else has it; c) if we only find the right miracle product, we won't have it any more. If you look around, though, you'll realize it's everywhere, even on heavily styled hair. Once I started paying attention, my own frizz bothered me less. What I also realized is that when curls are enhanced, frizz becomes less obvious. So I'd work on the curls and not worry about the frizz so much. Your hair looks really pretty, btw.

I think a silk pillowcase will help maintain your hair overnight, and probably cut down fuzziness a bit. Then it's just a matter of finding a good routine. I'm not sure how long you tried CG (modified or not), but I'd stick to it for a good 3-6 months. It can easily take that long for your curls to fully form. You don't have to load up on products. Just find something to wash with, a conditioner, and a gel. Gel won't make your hair curlier, but it helps to maintain definition over time. Try things different ways--for some people, putting products in soaking wet hair works, but for others, lightly dried is better. Don't feel there's any one way that's "better." IMO, technique is probably more important than products.

Annalouise
December 21st, 2014, 04:28 PM
ugghhh I know this feeling! ^^^ Fortunately for myself I have been having better hair days lately :D Try a CG-approved leave-in conditioner and combing your hair only when you are in the shower with conditioner in your hair. Rinsing product out of your hair with cold water has helped reduce frizz in my hair. Your could also try gently blow-drying your hair upside down with a diffuser, I'm 3b and that gets curls to show up more with me. You should definitely purchase a silk pillowcase or a silk sleeping cap, that has really helped minimize the amount of frizz in my hair.

I see that you have wavy hair, but I think that CurlyPenny (https://www.youtube.com/user/CurlyPenny)'s youtube channel could be very helpful to you. Sorry that this wasn't the greatest post ever, hopefully some other more experienced members will reply as well.

Thanks for that youtube channel, I watched her video on the curly girl Method and it really helped me understand the process. I tried it once and already had quite surprising results!

About frizz, I think its true what the others have said that we all have it. I like frizz because it gives an angelic halo effect.:p

yahirwaO.o
December 21st, 2014, 07:43 PM
I just want to say my hair is borderline 1A and I still have frizz sort of puffy hair sometimes...... It is tame with oil and brushing, but really a bit of frizz is natural... and the media comment is totally true....

The only hair thar could probably not be frizzy are straight artificial weaves or those with the super unnnatural curls LOL....

....Have I mentioned how georgeous your waves are????? o.O

Freija
December 23rd, 2014, 06:34 PM
Thank you so, so much for all of the kind comments and encouragement. You made me feel really, really good, and I'm grateful for that.

Thank you also for the advice! You are magic.

https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Y_hvPrOM9b8/VJoSxg5MirI/AAAAAAAAAXU/6ACzYAvlO7k/w370-c-h370-n-o-k/DSC_0031.JPG

(full-size here (https://lh5.googleusercontent.com/-Y_hvPrOM9b8/VJoSxg5MirI/AAAAAAAAAXU/ERZDTwv_-Jo/s1666-Ut/DSC_0031.JPG))

This is still drying, but so far it's amazing! Really soft and shiny, and clumping well. I think my hair has NEVER been this moisturised. To get here, I shampooed with a really mild sulfate-free shampoo, squeezed out my hair and then saturated it with Crown Pride Avocado Detangling Conditioner (all upside-down). I fingercombed it and put it up for half an hour, then rinsed it out (again upside-down). I then LOC-ed: that is, still upside-down, and without really squeezing any water out, leaving my hair dripping, I put back in a slightly larger blob of the aforementioned conditioner than normal. I ran a couple of drops of mineral oil through the wet lengths and ends, then I smoothed some of the Boots curl creme through, stood upright, and parted my hair gently with a tail comb. Finally, I bent over again, scrunched some palmfuls of water back into it (supersoaker method), shook/scrunched it a bit, and plopped it partway dry. I then took it down, tweaked it back to the parting, and am letting it dry the rest of the way loose.

It's still going to need some streamlining as I get more used to the routine, I 'm going to need to find a replacement for my shampoo which has just been discontinued, and the pink creme miiight not be a keeper - it's made my skin a little itchy and I'm struggling with the scent - but I am so, so happy and grateful right now. The ends of my hair feel like satin... Thank you!

jeanniet
December 23rd, 2014, 07:27 PM
It looks really pretty! It does take some time to get a routine down, and to find what products work best. For a while I was trying one thing on one side of my head, and something different on the other side, lol. I've had more or less the same routine for about a year now, so it's gotten much easier. I think you're getting there, though!