PDA

View Full Version : Hairforks and aeroplane

DreamSheep
December 20th, 2014, 04:06 PM
So I'm travelling by plane soon (in 12 hours), and I suddenly wondered whether a hairfork would be a good idea to have in my hair. I can see how a hairstick may be more dangerous (though hey, you are allowed pencils) - so just wondering whether hairforks are OK to be wearing or whether security would have something to complain about. :)

MeAndTheMaz
December 20th, 2014, 04:12 PM
I'd say, if in doubt, put it in the checked bags. Then stick a pencil in your hair. :) Ultimately, you should figure how much you might not want to lose that particular fork.

Safe journeys!

neko_kawaii
December 20th, 2014, 04:18 PM
Me in Las Vegas waiting for a connecting flight:
http://i1247.photobucket.com/albums/gg632/neko_kawaii_hair/b012caa557c1b9f3d3b07e4163d3cb8c_zps9494a49a.jpg

ravenhair44
December 20th, 2014, 04:39 PM
Just be prepared to have your hair inspected if you have your hair up in a bun. When I went to California, I had a woman TSA employee put her hands in my hair and spread my bun apart. :bigeyes:

DreamSheep
December 20th, 2014, 04:53 PM
Ok, I will wear a Noodle Nation chopstick (the most worthless thing I could have in my hair :p), you guys are right, I don't want to miss losing a nice hairfork / stick or risking them being broken in luggage.

FallingDarkness
December 20th, 2014, 05:33 PM
Just be prepared to have your hair inspected if you have your hair up in a bun. When I went to California, I had a woman TSA employee put her hands in my hair and spread my bun apart. :bigeyes:

That is horrendous! I think I would die. :P I'm sorry that that happened to you, it sounds traumatizing.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 20th, 2014, 05:38 PM
I have had to completely take down my bun at airport security so they could see I had nothing in my hair and the officer still felt through my hair to check.

Puffer Fish
December 20th, 2014, 05:42 PM
As long as it is not very long, sharp, or mostly metal it will probably not be an issue, but I agree with your plan: wear something cheap/easily replaced while going through security and then put your fork back in once you're waiting for your flight.

Safe travels! :waving:

CitrusGirrl
December 20th, 2014, 05:45 PM
I had a beautiful wooden carved fork confiscated many years ago. Don't risk it!

Achlys
December 20th, 2014, 07:06 PM
I find it more comfortable to wear a braid when traveling (so that I can rest my head) and leave sticks and such for when I have arrived. Is that not an option for you?

lunalocks
December 20th, 2014, 07:41 PM
I just traveled on Southwest 2 weeks ago. I was told they needed to pat down my bun, so I just pulled the fork out. No one said anything about the fork. It was a 6 inch 3 prong. I have traveled many times with hair forks. No one bats an eye.

tigereye
December 21st, 2014, 03:37 AM
I'm pretty sure they'd take it off me over here in Britain. I had a (blunt) chopstick taken off me that was holding up my hair. :shrug: Bought a pencil at the newsagents on the other side of security to put it up again. These days, I go with ficcare clips - the most they do is pat it down or make me take it out, although it almost without fail, sets the metal detector off.

rosalinda
December 21st, 2014, 05:52 AM
I travel a lot, often with my hair sticks - Europe and USA - never been a problem.

cascadinggems
December 21st, 2014, 05:58 AM
I have heard stories about this being a problem. I think that things have relaxed a little, but I would not risk it!

laceyfairy
December 21st, 2014, 07:44 AM
Travelling within the US I make sure to just wear a braid. Other countries seem to have less intense airport security (ie you can wear your shoes or carry a water bottle that isn't empty). To me it's not worth the potential hassle and braids are easier to sleep on anyways.

Kina
December 21st, 2014, 07:57 AM
I think it's up to whatever is going through the minds of the tsa agents at the time. I flew this weekend, domestically, with my hair loose, intending to put it up once through. They felt through my hair, spread it apart and patted my head.

Weirdest thing ever.

DreamSheep
December 21st, 2014, 12:15 PM
I don't usually like wearing braids when I'm carrying stuff, so in the end I wore a plain chopstick I had sanded down. No one batted an eyelid (probably because no detectors were set off). They seemed to care more about inspecting whether my shoes might have metal bits or not.

Nonetheless, I will not risk any hairtoys in the future, so I will probably always stick to a plain takeaway chopstick from now on. Thanks everybody :)

DKSABS
December 21st, 2014, 12:22 PM
I know it's already too late to answer your question, but thought I'd share my experience in case this thread comes up on a search in the future. I had seen this same topic discussed last Summer with similar replies. I decided to wear my hair in a French braid with the ends tucked under so I wouldn't risk losing any toys and could rest my head back and sleep. Believe it or not, the TSA agent felt the need to dig through my hair to make sure there wasn't anything hidden in my braid. And my hair is VERY fine and thin, so I have no idea how they could have thought I could possibly have anything hidden in there.

DKSABS
December 21st, 2014, 12:45 PM
Oops. Double post.

lunalocks
December 21st, 2014, 05:00 PM
Yup, even after my bun drop, they felt around in my hair.

Quasiquixotic
December 21st, 2014, 05:08 PM
I've flown several times without issue wearing a Ficcare. I would probably miss my flight mailing it to myself if they told me I couldn't wear it. But I'm quite obcessive about getting to the airport hours before my flight.

meteor
December 21st, 2014, 05:18 PM
Why not wear U-pins?
I'd braid the hair, tie it off, and pin it up. This way, you can take down your updo and still leave it braided (if TSA decides to check your bun or if you want to sleep on flight) and you won't run any risk of having a hair-toy confiscated.

Youngjae
December 23rd, 2014, 02:01 AM
I'll be going on a plane these holidays, I'm not gonna risk it. I mean, the guys at the airport (I know Australia will but not sure about the other country) will get angry if I wear either metal or wood, it's not worth their time, my time, or my things being taken off me or anyone else standing in the line's time for that matter. In fact, I'm not even going to take my hairsticks(cough decorated short chopsticks, I have no real hairsticks cough) because otherwise when we get back to Australia, we have to declare that we have wood (even though I bought it over here) so they open up my bag and inspect it.... It's not worth the hassle, I might take my metal hairfork in my luggage though, so I can wear it when we get to our destination.... I'll just braid my hair.....

dreamer152
April 23rd, 2015, 05:27 PM
I just came across this thread. I can't believe they've made people take their buns down or felt through braids! That's nuts! I've never encountered that issue before, and I've flown quite a bit. Makes me worried about bringing hair toys with me traveling now though. I would be devastated if I had one taken. It would make me mad if someone said they had to feel through my hair too, that's just a whole different level of invasion of privacy, like their X-ray machines aren't bad enough.

Australia has an issue bringing wood? I'm not sure I understand that one at all!

MINAKO
April 23rd, 2015, 05:54 PM
Omg, i would be horrified to be forced taking my bun down and then have someone dig through my hair. i hate airports, so i acoid them as much as i possibly can. Most of my hairtoys are sharp enough to make an alternative weapon for sure tho, but i learned how to make a center held with a mini shoe horn.

Clarkie
April 23rd, 2015, 06:17 PM
Wow, I'm sure glad this thread was revived. I am flying next Monday and was intending to wear my hair in a high bun with a Ficcare but now I'm reconsidering. I'm flying from Toronto to Vancouver. Anyone had any issues flying within Canada? I really don't want anyone pawing around in my hair. Ewwww!

Aleahcim
April 23rd, 2015, 06:37 PM
I've have not had much experience flying, but I will be taking a flight from Toronto to North California soon, I think I'll wear my hair is 2 braids. Being about 2 inches shy from bsl I doubt it will be much of an issue, but I'll be taking my collection of hair toys with me since I'll be in California for a few months and I'm considering doing the 'wear everything once' challenge.

I may throw a Fakkare in my purse for the flight, just in case, but I dunno. Like I said I don't have much experience with flights.

meteor
April 23rd, 2015, 06:43 PM
Wow, I'm sure glad this thread was revived. I am flying next Monday and was intending to wear my hair in a high bun with a Ficcare but now I'm reconsidering. I'm flying from Toronto to Vancouver. Anyone had any issues flying within Canada? I really don't want anyone pawing around in my hair. Ewwww!

I didn't, but I don't know if my sample is representative. :hmm:

I think the biggest risks are with international flights, especially to/from USA. It's kind of random and depends on what TSA agent may want to randomly check.

I always fly with my hair braided (secured with an elastic) and then bunned (with a chopstick or a pencil or something), so that if I have to take my bun down for them to check, I still have hair contained in a braid. The braid comes in handy when you want to sleep on the flight, too. ;) Personally, I wouldn't fly with a valuable hair toy, just to be on the safe side. I think U-pins and spin pins are great for this.

Mammasaurusrex
April 23rd, 2015, 06:49 PM
Im so glad I saw this thread. I am not planning on flying any time soon and I don't have long hair but obviously i might fall under those two categories some day and I would never have thought that something like a hair thing would be confiscated.

Clarkie
April 23rd, 2015, 06:51 PM
I didn't, but I don't know if my sample is representative. :hmm:

I think the biggest risks are with international flights, especially to/from USA. It's kind of random and depends on what TSA agent may want to randomly check.

I always fly with my hair braided (secured with an elastic) and then bunned (with a chopstick or a pencil or something), so that if I have to take my bun down for them to check, I still have hair contained in a braid. The braid comes in handy when you want to sleep on the flight, too. ;) Personally, I wouldn't fly with a valuable hair toy, just to be on the safe side. I think U-pins and spin pins are great for this.

I think I'll pack the Ficcare in my luggage and take your advice and go with the braid option. :)

dreamer152
April 23rd, 2015, 06:54 PM
Can you imagine losing a ficcare or other expensive hair toy?! Even mailing it to yourself, that can take up to a month to get in the mail. My SO mailed his knife to himself and it was over a month before it arrived. That would suck so bad!

Sarahlabyrinth
April 23rd, 2015, 09:02 PM
I flew domestic yesterday and no-one batted an eyelid at the fact that I was wearing a 60th St fork. Mind you the pointy bits weren't showing, and being wood, it likely wouldn't have shown on the X-ray. I was wondering if they would take it off me though and I don't think I would wear a fork for international travel.

Calypso
April 24th, 2015, 02:17 AM
I usually fly as cheaply as possible, so don't bring checked baggage with me. Does anyone know if hair sticks and forks are a problem in hand baggage? I may be flying a few times this summer and I'd like to take hairtoys with me, but I'd hate for them to be confiscated. :/

Stellaaa
April 24th, 2015, 08:53 AM
FWIW, I've flown with 60th Street or a Jeterfork in my hair, and a flexi-8 in my purse. International (Canada, Australia, Thailand, Italy, Belgium, Netherlands, etc) but never through the US. The flexi has drawn the occasional curious glance from the security person, I just say "Hair clip" and off I go.

I switched from a purpleheart Jeter to dymondwood 60th Street when I realized some countries (*ahem* Australia) could be really weird about wooden items. Although TBH, the Aussie didn't bat an eye at my purpleheart fork either, but I did feel compelled to declare it, since it was sitting there on the back of my head, and the immigration slip says basically - "we WILL find any wooden stuff you've got, so you better declare it".

The only time I've been hassled about my hair, I had it up in a braided bun held by spin pins. The spin pins set off the metal detector, and I had my bun groped by the security. Since then, I've acquired some Good Hair Days plastic pins and few acetate chignon pins. The next time I fly I think I'm wearing a plastic jaw-slide clip (light, comfy, non-metal, and cheap, should I run into a particularly nasty security person) reinforced by these other plastic items.

Laurenji
April 24th, 2015, 09:14 AM
I almost always travel in braids since it's comfier to rest my head on the plane that way.

But I will add that one time, they made me go through the full-body scanner (ick) and my braid that was over my shoulder set off the scanner! Luckily it didn't require any further testing, but I did hear some back and forth comments over the TSA agent's radio about "On her left shoulder? That's a braid, just some hair". Which I thought was pretty funny. Apparently my hair looks *suspicious* :shiftyeyes:

Akville
April 24th, 2015, 10:52 AM
I had a problem once..with my metal hair stick... but he was a kind man, Swed :D.. so I got it back... But he told me to think about my hair sticks and forks next time.. and I was like yes sure.. :D..

Paranda Belle
April 24th, 2015, 11:01 AM
If anyone wants to travel with a ficcare or other expensive beak clip, you could try my method.

I 3 strand braid my hair and put it up into a nautillus. For me this style is quite stable and will hold without anything for a while if the tension is right. I stick a beak clip through it to make it more secure. The advantage of beak clips is that they are not as "exotic" as hair sticks - most people (even men) know they are for hair. When the time comes to go through the scanners, I remove my beak clp and put it on the handle of my luggage. My bun usually remains in place for the short time I am away from my bag. It also helps me to identify my bag, keeps the clip in a safe place and there is less chance of setting the body scanners off. Once I'm on the plane, I'll often take down my bun if I want to be comfortable or sleep and I arrive at my destination looking reasonably presentable.

Being an ethnic minority and an ability to set off most metal detectors however much metal I remove, I'm always careful as to what I wear on flights. I'd never thought of the pencil idea though! Never had my hair searched. Although in my younger pre lhc days when I used to wear it in a catapillar braid, I was subject to an interrogation on what products I used. :)

gwenalyn
April 24th, 2015, 03:33 PM
I once had a damp bun set off one of those full-body scanners--the lady just asked if my hair was wet. I also set off the scanner when I was wearing a damp bra (don't judge me!). Both times, the TSA people mentioned that wet/damp things always end up setting those off, so I would especially avoid damp bunning and braiding.

Rushli
June 28th, 2015, 03:41 PM
I once had a damp bun set off one of those full-body scanners--the lady just asked if my hair was wet. I also set off the scanner when I was wearing a damp bra (don't judge me!). Both times, the TSA people mentioned that wet/damp things always end up setting those off, so I would especially avoid damp bunning and braiding.

darn. I just washed my hair and planned on french braiding it with a paranda to give me wonderful curls for Wednesday. My plane is leaving at 6:30 tuesday and there is no way it will be dry. I dont even know if it will be dry after 3 days for Wed! I suppose after thinking about it, a paranda probably wont be the best idea either and will be just begging for them to inspect it. But I want those curls!!!

meteor
June 28th, 2015, 04:47 PM
darn. I just washed my hair and planned on french braiding it with a paranda to give me wonderful curls for Wednesday. My plane is leaving at 6:30 tuesday and there is no way it will be dry. I dont even know if it will be dry after 3 days for Wed! I suppose after thinking about it, a paranda probably wont be the best idea either and will be just begging for them to inspect it. But I want those curls!!!

Don't worry about it! The very worst thing that can happen is that you might have to take down your bun and then put it right back up. :flower:
You could air-dry your hair loose for now and put it in your French Braided Bun only once it's almost dry.

Seeshami
June 28th, 2015, 07:07 PM
I go through US TSA in a braid because my hair is thick enough to annoy the body scanners and agents get annoyed when I pull down my hair instead of letting them shove a stick in it. They run their hands down the length of my braid and I am done with security. Once i get to the boarding area i put it up with a stick. This trip a clear ketylo.

Rushli
June 29th, 2015, 01:22 PM
I did leave my hair down longer to air dry yesterday (it was kinda a "well, duh" moment. Glad you mentioned it!) I can still feel some dampness, but much better than normal. Hopefully the waves hold just as well as before! I went ahead and put the paranda in too. We will see what they think of it! I am leaving from a smaller airport so hopefully it will be easy enough.

(Side note, Seeshami, I have your bath salts all made and sitting in my closet. When I get back next week, I need to chat with you and aspensong to get them sent off to you!)

Rushli
June 30th, 2015, 07:22 AM
Made it through with a simple pat down along my back and braid.

schnibbles
June 30th, 2015, 08:19 AM
When I flew a few months ago I did a rope braid over my shoulder. Once I was placed in the body scanner they requested that I relocate the braid from over my shoulder to behind and then back again. And I also got the friendly pat-down. Seems pretty typical these days.
I didn't want to risk losing any sticks or forks but maybe that was overly cautious of me.

Seeshami
June 30th, 2015, 10:43 AM
I have flow with sticks almost every time I have flown since highschool. Sometimes tsa wants to look at them and sometimes they don't. The more sure yeah look at it, sure yeah squeeze my braid nonchalant couldn't care less I am about it the faster my searches are.

One agent told me to flip my necklace to the back so they wouldn't possibly need to pat the middle of my chest and I just shook my head and told her if they needed to pat search me they can pat search me. I got over the WTF are you DOING tracing the underwire of my bra back when the security sky rocketed.

DweamGoiL
June 30th, 2015, 11:32 AM
I've had my buns groped before, but this time, I am going to go the braid route even if is shredded due to my layers...what-EVAH!!! :lala:

I've also flown with sticks in my personal bag and no one has said anything. They are more focused on anyone hiding anything inside of a weave, bun or other intricate updo, or under your extensions. The most embarrasing pat down was a body one by a big burly female TSA Agent reassuring me not to worry that she was going to take care of me :tmi:

meteor
June 30th, 2015, 01:25 PM
II got over the WTF are you DOING tracing the underwire of my bra back when the security sky rocketed.

I've also flown with sticks in my personal bag and no one has said anything. They are more focused on anyone hiding anything inside of a weave, bun or other intricate updo, or under your extensions. The most embarrasing pat down was a body one by a big burly female TSA Agent reassuring me not to worry that she was going to take care of me :tmi:

Yikes!! :scared: How uncool!

The annoying thing is that famous TSA's over-zealousness is not even that effective: recently, TSA failed 95% of so-called “red team” tests, in which undercover federal agents attempt to smuggle explosives and weapons aboard aircraft: http://abcnews.go.com/ABCNews/exclusive-undercover-dhs-tests-find-widespread-security-failures/story?id=31434881
Yet they manage to bother folks over lotion and hair forks? :lol:

So happy everything went well for your flight today, Rushli! :applause