PDA

View Full Version : Anyone that has wavy or frizzy hair tips

Princess Mom
December 20th, 2014, 12:58 PM
I usually straighten my hair once a week, I want to quit heat but my hair is so wavy and frizzy I can't leave it down sometimes without heat. My front layers are about 2 inches shorter than my hair. That is my main issue and once my hair is almost wsl I will cut it into one length. I'm at BSL right now.
What types of tips do you ladies do. My hair just gets really big once a it dry and looks awful

meteor
December 20th, 2014, 01:10 PM
1) Sleep with hair contained (e.g. braided) on silk/satin pillow case or wear a silk/satin sleep cap (or other smooth material) - this really cuts down on frizz and tangles;
2) Use oils and/or oil/silicone serums on your canopy hair (generally speaking, occlusives cut down on frizz a lot);
3) Ditch the brush (especially if it's one of those plastic ones with little balls on the tips), use your fingers and/or a seamless wide-tooth comb (preferably, wood/horn/resin) instead. Some people with textured hair can get away brushing with a soft boar bristle brush, but not everybody can;
4) Avoid static-inducing materials like the plague: keep flannel, wool, plastic... away from your hair.
5) Use a soft cotton T-shirt for drying hair post-wash and don't rub hair, just squeeze the water out super-gently. No terry-cloth towels: they are rough and increase frizz.

And obviously, ditch the heat: it's a slippery slope - the more you use heat, the more you'll feel like you need to use it to tame hair. Just avoid the heat and other forms of damage: chemical, mechanical... There are lots of heatless styling methods out there: check out beautyklove YouTube channel, for example: https://www.youtube.com/playlist?list=PL4626FAE04F57ED14

ETA: Also consider conditioner-only washes, conditioner-wash-conditioner (CWC) or conditioning twice post-wash (WCC) methods for washing hair. Textured and frizz-prone hair tends to like more conditioner.
LOC method (leave-in, oil, cream) method for styling can give you good results, too.

Halliday
December 20th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Noooo more heat! It will make your hair even more frizzy. You could try damp braiding whist airdrying. Also CO-washing, leave in conditioner, oil treatments, hair masks, no brushing, damp detangling.

Wildcat Diva
December 20th, 2014, 01:59 PM
Uh, embrace your texture and try curly girl method?

Madora
December 20th, 2014, 02:06 PM
I usually straighten my hair once a week, I want to quit heat but my hair is so wavy and frizzy I can't leave it down sometimes without heat. My front layers are about 2 inches shorter than my hair. That is my main issue and once my hair is almost wsl I will cut it into one length. I'm at BSL right now.
What types of tips do you ladies do. My hair just gets really big once a it dry and looks awful

For the sake of your hair, don't straighten it. You're altering the basic properties of your hair by straightening it and slowly killing it into the bargain. Wear your hair up to protect those ravaged ends. A drop or two of mineral oil on the ends will certainly help.

lapushka
December 20th, 2014, 02:11 PM
You might be more wavy than you think. Try to follow this method so you won't have to use heat:
http://www.wikihow.com/Follow-the-Curly-Girl-Method-for-Curly-Hair

pearlsandpinups
December 20th, 2014, 02:31 PM
My hair isn't wavy but it does get frizzy, especially in the humidity. I use to blowdry it to combat any frizz but now I let it air dry. - Any frizz/fuzz I just tame down with a coney serum and that fixes it for me. :) My hair is also much better on the second day. - It's like the day it gets washed it's fluffier, or something. Even if I didn't put my frizz serum on it I think by the next day it'd still be markedly better/tamer.

I'm hoping that the longer I go without using heat/blowdrying, the healthier my hair will get and the better it will look airdried. :) I could be wrong but I think there's a degree to which heat styling is a vicious circle. - You heat style, get damaged hair, damaged hair looks awful air dried, so you have to heat style it to mask the damage and it just continues and continues until your hair is SUPER damaged and just needs to be cut!

spidermom
December 20th, 2014, 03:22 PM
I like blow-drying with warm or cool. I've also noticed that, when I do a head wrap with a silk scarf, my hair gets very smooth; all the frizz disappears. I have to be careful with my wrap, though. It's possible to make really wonky kinks when doing a wrap.

There are good YouTube tutorials on doing wraps.

Avoid brushing wavy hair.

hennalonghair
December 20th, 2014, 04:11 PM
I've got wavy/curly frizz prone hair and I handle it by washing my hair only when needed. Normally I use shampoo on my scalp only and since I don't use cones I don't have to clarify often. Maybe 3 times a year.
Once a week I deep condition it then scrunch dry with a t shirt, then add coconut oil or shea butter to seal in the moisture.
Sometimes I add Be Curly as a curl enhancer because its the only one that doesn't make my hair crunchy. Once my hair is dry which is usually by the end of the day I brush it out with my bbb and braid it for the night . In the morning I brush it out again and bun it for the day. Because I wear updos most of the time 6 days out if 7 , I can get away with oiling my ends when and if need be. To be honest, my hasn't been frizzy for quite a while but it has its moments. I have. an under layers of 3a curls that at times can be unpredictable.

Arete
December 20th, 2014, 04:58 PM
Finger detangle (or widetooth comb if you prefer). CWC has made a big difference for me personally in overall frizziness and the "poof" factor post wash

Princess Mom
December 20th, 2014, 05:16 PM
see my problem is my hair looks awesome when it's almost dry but once it's completely dry, my front short layer gets really puffy. I tried aargon oil some silk oils doesn't work, tried no brushing only combing doesn't work. Braiding my hair and waking up in morning it just looks awful with bumpy waves.

I am stopping heat only if I go out someplace nice I will use heat. I think not using hair dye had made my hair so much better and it is now growing it grew so much since September, so now I'm ready to quit the heat lol.

it is hard to stop

Arete
December 20th, 2014, 05:31 PM
Could you post a picture? The "puffiness" could very well just be that your hair has texture and volume naturally at the roots. Because it's your shortest layer, it's going to "puff" more since there's less hair weighing it down.

Princess Mom
December 20th, 2014, 05:46 PM
Half way dryed

http://i61.tinypic.com/2gtysdj.jpg

Complete air dryed

http://i57.tinypic.com/x7ms3.jpg

Princess Mom
December 20th, 2014, 05:48 PM
Then it looks awful if I brush it out
http://i62.tinypic.com/2wn350h.jpg

Princess Mom
December 20th, 2014, 05:58 PM
http://i60.tinypic.com/2lka9n8.jpg
So I use my straightener if I go some where nice

mamaherrera
December 20th, 2014, 06:22 PM
when I used to brush my hair (back in the day) I had way bigger hair, and I always got made fun of. Now that's it taken care of, I wish someone would tell me I have tons of hair again, it all depends on the care, techniques and products you put in and it doesn't happen overnight. Like me, if I brush it one day, it doesn't get as big as in the past, I would have to mistreat it for a month or so to get it back to how it used to behave.

sourgrl
December 20th, 2014, 06:36 PM
Always keep in mind that what works for one does not work for all. Here's what helped me kick the heat:

I avoid all humectants, glycerin especially and especially in my rinse out conditioner and anything I leave in my hair. Humectants pull moisture from the closest water source. In high humidity that water source is the air, which can cause frizz. In low/no humidity the water source is your hair, again causing frizz. I'm a Florida girl that moved to alabama about 3 years ago. Trying to find the sweet spot for when to use humectants became a big pain in the butt so I just avoid them all together.

Ditch the brush! It will break up too much of your wave pattern making your hair look puffy. I use a wide tooth wooden comb on my roots only and finger comb the length. Combing roots only help them look polished; finger combing the length will get rid of tangles without breaking up your natural wave pattern too much.

Damp bunning/wrapping helps me keep moisture in my hair which keeps it nice and soft. I wash at night and bun my hair when it's damp. Wrap my head up in a satin scarf and head to bed. In the morning I let it loose, add a couple drops of argan oil to the length and finish air drying it.

My specific routines and products:

Basic routine:
Wash with Giovanni Smooth as Silk Shampoo (it's sulfate free)
Condition (as a rinse out) with Dermorganics deep treatment conditioning masque (cone free)
Take a smidge of the Dermorganics and work it through my wet length and leave it in
Wrap hair in an old tshirt (instead of a towel) until no longer dripping
Divide hair into two sections; work 4 drops of pure argan oil through each section, bun it, wrap it, sleep
I use the argan oil to seal moisture in my hair.

During the summer I pre oil with coconut oil. I only need to oil it just before jumping in the shower not for hours or over night like others do. I don't use cones because they weigh down my waves

During the winter I Wash, Condition, Condition (WCC) using a coney condish as my second "C" and then using the Dermorganics as my leave in. I use cones in the winter to help retain moisture.

I'm also finding SMTs to be very helpful this winter. I do an SMT on dry hair so the humectants (honey and aloe) pull the water from the conditioner into my hair. Then follow the SMT with my usual winter routine.

I have read many times over that the best way to combat frizz is moisture. Finding a routine that will insure you're getting the right amount of moisture your hair needs should help with the frizz. Experimenting will be the only way to figure out what works for you and what doesn't.

Puffer Fish
December 20th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Honestly, your hair looks good in all of your pictures to me!

Princess Mom
December 20th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Awesome! I agree on the brushing, the other day I had my hair in a wrap bun after sleeping and woke up next day and put some oil and it was pretty but dummy me brushed it lol.

I need to go out to buy some oils. Does almond oil do anything good?

pearlsandpinups
December 20th, 2014, 06:42 PM
Awesome! I agree on the brushing, the other day I had my hair in a wrap bun after sleeping and woke up next day and put some oil and it was pretty but dummy me brushed it lol.

Like all oils, some people's hair loves almond, some find it too heavy for theirs! Give it a try and see how your hair likes it. :) BeautyKLove on Youtube, (She's one of my hair idols!) uses almond oil in some of her deep treatments and it must agree with her hair because it's just lovely!

sourgrl
December 20th, 2014, 06:44 PM
I haven't tried almond oil but have heard awesome things about it from other wavies. The key to any oil is remembering a little goes a long way. I buy a 4oz bottle of argan oil and it lasts me over a year.

hennalonghair
December 20th, 2014, 07:17 PM
Yes I agree that everyone is different . Some people can't use a brush, some people can't manage without theirs. Not brushing my hair was the advice I was given when I first joined the site and ' for ME' personally it was the worst advice ever. My hair started drying out, breaking off and shedding. It just got unbelievably horrid until I started brushing again. I know many many others here who prefer a brush so clearly the ' no brushing' rule doesn't apply to all if us.
Just sayin.'

Madora
December 20th, 2014, 07:33 PM

You might find this article on oils interesting (written by former LHC member Ktani - Understanding the Drying Capacities of Oil) http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2011/12/understanding-drying-capacity-of-oils.html

tigereye
December 21st, 2014, 04:00 AM
My ends are kind of wavy - I'm a 1c/2a because most of my hair is pretty straight, but the last 2 inches of my ends flick up and wave, or if it's really humid, decides to almost curl. The thing is, it applies to all ends - including the shorter ones from the new growth, which causes frizz all the way down my length if I air-dry, because unlike with curly hair, they can't clump to the straight hairs around them.

I solve the issue by using lots of conditioner in the shower, drying my hair in a bun, and washing it once a week. Takes about 3 times as long to dry, but it's worth it for the smooth hair and dry back. :p

Princess Mom
December 21st, 2014, 01:03 PM
My ends are kind of wavy - I'm a 1c/2a because most of my hair is pretty straight, but the last 2 inches of my ends flick up and wave, or if it's really humid, decides to almost curl. The thing is, it applies to all ends - including the shorter ones from the new growth, which causes frizz all the way down my length if I air-dry, because unlike with curly hair, they can't clump to the straight hairs around them.

I solve the issue by using lots of conditioner in the shower, drying my hair in a bun, and washing it once a week. Takes about 3 times as long to dry, but it's worth it for the smooth hair and dry back. :p

Deff af going to try this

Princess Mom
December 21st, 2014, 01:03 PM
I just need to wash my hair every two days because I have 3 kids and a new baby so I get all type of messy during the day lol

two_wheels
December 21st, 2014, 03:18 PM
LOC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167). Seriously. Changed my life.
Without LOC, on the left. With LOC, on the right. Both day 1 after washing.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/LOC_zps9f3d1987.png

lapushka
December 21st, 2014, 04:22 PM
Yes, definitely the LOC method is worth it for my frizz as well (I have none with it). The link is in my signature, if you want to know more. The thing is, if you have barely wavy hair, use a *tiny* amount of each product, and you can leave the gel/styling cream out if you desire!

two_wheels
December 21st, 2014, 04:24 PM
Yes, definitely the LOC method is worth it for my frizz as well (I have none with it). The link is in my signature, if you want to know more. The thing is, if you have barely wavy hair, use a *tiny* amount of each product, and you can leave the gel/styling cream out if you desire!

Yep - on my length, about 1.5 peas of each! I need the gel. The gel is magic. And it lasts forever when you only use 1.5 peas at a time :)

lapushka
December 21st, 2014, 05:04 PM
Yep - on my length, about 1.5 peas of each! I need the gel. The gel is magic. And it lasts forever when you only use 1.5 peas at a time :)

Oh yep, I do love my gel as well, but not everybody loves it equally. I also apply my gel second and my serum/oil last, so technically it's LCO - somehow that doesn't sound quite right, though. ;)

two_wheels
December 21st, 2014, 05:07 PM
Oh yep, I do love my gel as well, but not everybody loves it equally. I also apply my gel second and my serum/oil last, so technically it's LCO - somehow that doesn't sound quite right, though. ;)

WEIRD! No, wait... I mean, whatever works for you :)
I went back to cones lately to tame the tangles. Truly there is no "one true path" to good hair.

HoneyLatte
December 21st, 2014, 07:30 PM
I have curly hair that can get so frizzy- like scare crow, broom stick, staticky frizzy. I find for wash and goes, that my hair comes out much less frizzy if I rinse in cool water, apply products to soaking wet hair and refrain from touching my hair until it completely dries.

AlexDig
December 21st, 2014, 07:53 PM
I like the modified LOC method as well! My hair works best with mineral oil and then shea butter added to really wet hair. Or to get more definition, I'll use aloe vera gel before the mineral oil and shea butter...but with my fine hair, using all three makes me have to wash my hair more frequently.

I also mostly just use a wooden wide tooth comb instead of a brush (unless I'm going for a scalp massage!).

Princess Mom
December 22nd, 2014, 02:12 PM
LOC (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=118167). Seriously. Changed my life.
Without LOC, on the left. With LOC, on the right. Both day 1 after washing.
http://i1201.photobucket.com/albums/bb359/wheels_two/LOC_zps9f3d1987.png

Wow that is amazing!

two_wheels
December 22nd, 2014, 02:16 PM
Wow that is amazing!

Yep - taken within weeks of each other, too, so that's not damage you're seeing - just naturally frizzy hair. Out of all the LHC things I've learnt, I would say not-ripping-through-wet-hair-with-a-bristle-brush was the biggest change damagewise (goodbye split ends), and LOC was the biggest change appearancewise. It isn't always as docile as the right hand picture, but it's never frizzy now :) Thankyou LHC :)

lapushka
December 22nd, 2014, 02:44 PM
WEIRD! No, wait... I mean, whatever works for you :)
I went back to cones lately to tame the tangles. Truly there is no "one true path" to good hair.

Yep, it is a little strange, but even on YT, LCO is gaining followers! And it's true, no one thing works for all. Experimenting is good - to a degree. :)

Princess Mom
December 22nd, 2014, 03:18 PM
http://i57.tinypic.com/t8uexl.jpg

Thank you ladies! I took all the advice I had coconut oil pre washing my hair I put some almond oil and some silk oil I had into my hair comb it and twist it into a bun and then a braid it did take a few hours to dry but it isn't frizzy or look like a broom!
Yay! I'm done using heat

two_wheels
December 22nd, 2014, 03:22 PM
Yay, looking good!
Mine takes longer to dry when I put stuff on it, too. It's the price you pay for frizz-free hair. Definitely worth it!
Also, we have *very* similar texture.... high five

Princess Mom
December 22nd, 2014, 03:25 PM
Yay, looking good!
Mine takes longer to dry when I put stuff on it, too. It's the price you pay for frizz-free hair. Definitely worth it!
Also, we have *very* similar texture.... high five

Thank you! I posted a photo before on page 2 of this thread and you can see how friZzy my hair is without straightening it.

Your hair is very nice!
What is one of the best leave in oil you like?

two_wheels
December 22nd, 2014, 03:29 PM
Ooh, ok, so for LOC I use my regular conditioner (either Tresemme Naturals or Aussie Miracle Moist) and then coconut oil (I use posh Neal's Yard stuff, but monoi oil or regular coconut oil work just as well, they just smell different) and then Kinky Curly Curling Custard gel (just because that was the first thing I tried in wavy-experiments).

I rake them through one at a time with my fingers or a wide tooth comb. Then no brushing, no touching until dry.

The only thing I would add is that less is more! You just have to tweak it til it works. Little changes each time. :)

two_wheels
December 22nd, 2014, 03:30 PM
By the way, I looked at those pics and I thought they looked fine, but I know how it is. In real life there are a bunch of flyaways that never get captured on camera and they are so annoying.

MINAKO
December 22nd, 2014, 03:43 PM
i know exactly what you are on about :P!
if you want smooth hair and dont care much about maintaining the natural wave i highly suggest looking into keratin treatments, but educate yourself on the topic and see what is available to you, there are good ones and right up horrible ones.
after that all you would need to do is airdry or blowdry on cool to medium to get it straight but natural looking.
i do the keratin thing myself and use a product called dikson, that might not be available in the states. in comparison of using heat weekly the treatment certainly wins as you only have to do it about every 3-5 months depending on you hair, routine and desired straightness.

Princess Mom
December 22nd, 2014, 07:23 PM
Thank you!! I don't want to use heat for a while

Princess Mom
December 22nd, 2014, 07:25 PM
Sounds good about the keratin, I always wanted to have the keratin done at the salon but it's very expensive and, I don't think I need it. I'm gonna look that product up thanks

MINAKO
December 23rd, 2014, 07:56 AM
you're right, at the salon it can be very pricey, thats why i do it myself at home. i purchased only professional products and tools whichs was of course not cheap, but that way i get alot of applications out of everything, lasts me ages. another thing is that i dont crank up the heat as much as most salons would do. i know how much my hair can take and thats why its still healthy.

i probably dont need it either (who really "needs" hair to begin with, lol) but it makes all the difference from me, since i nailed the technique all my hair problems dissolved into thin air, tangles, lack of shine, dryness, breakage, frizz... all these reduced to a minimum. nice to find out that if used right some products keep their promise after all.
my hair is naturally much wavier than your and without the stuff imdont think i would have made it to classic, simply because i prefer the look of long straight hair on me and also because taking care of it would have been so much more difficult.
funny enough i do like to baby my hair, but doing it just for the sake of it feels much more pleasant than targeting all those specific problems i had before.
i use heat like every two months, never more than once a month, really high heat tho, but its no big deal, i cant see or feel any damage at all and its been like this for more than two years.