PDA

View Full Version : Search and Destroy

texangrrl
December 18th, 2014, 11:05 AM
Ok, so until I found LHC, the concept of search and destroy was unfamiliar to me. Whenever I saw split or damaged ends, I would simply make my way back to the beautician and get a trim (which I hated to do because I wanted long hair). I've decided that in 2015 I will forgo the trims and do S&D only because I want to reach solid waist by end of the year (I'm a little past BSL now with a U - almost V - shaped hemline) and eventually my ultimate goal is fairy tale ends at TBL. My question is this - is there any particular method to doing S&D? What works best for some of yall that have had success with it?

Madora
December 18th, 2014, 11:12 AM
First and foremost, use sharp shears..and keep those shears only for S and D.
Secondly, do it in good light! Don't ruin your eyes!
Third: do it in small sections: ie take a small section of hair (pencil sized), gently twist it, then look for any split ends that pop up.
Or: just pick up a few strands and visually search for white dots or split ends...usually the last 3 inches of hair are the most likely places to find splits..but you can find them at almost any place along the strand.

To aid in seeing the splits, I hold my hair up in front of my tv screen (which is not on).
Working against a white background also helps. (Dark background if you have light colored hair).

Best defense against splits: stay away from unfriendly hair practices, try and wear your hair up. Use mineral oil on the ends (just a drop or two, not more).

sarahchant
December 18th, 2014, 11:16 AM
Sorry to hijack, but...

Any suggestions on S&D with short (SL) hair?

lunalocks
December 18th, 2014, 11:19 AM
Use very sharp scissors. I bought salon quality scissors just for S and Ding. Use good light. I have an under cupboard light that helps me see my dark blond hairs very well over the black counter top. The best light for me is in the car on a sunny day. Some people carry scissors in the car for s and d ing. I also bought a pair of super magnified reading glasses. Section your hair so you don't repeat the same spots. Be sure to look at hairs that aren't just the longest ones, and also splits can happen an inch or more up the hair shaft, so you will miss some if you look just at the tips.

I stopped trims and did s and d only for the past year and grew 7 inches. And after one year, I have fairy tails.

lunalocks
December 18th, 2014, 11:21 AM
And, spending a few minutes once a week or every few days is better than waiting a month and doing a huge long session (that makes you never want to do it again!).

Madora
December 18th, 2014, 02:10 PM
And, spending a few minutes one a week or every few days is better than waiting a month and doing a huge long session (that makes you never want to do it again!).

^^^^ to the max!!!

Halliday
December 18th, 2014, 02:13 PM
Sorry to hijack, but...

Any suggestions on S&D with short (SL) hair?

Would S&D be necessary on SL hair? I think personally I only started doing it when I got to APL as it was so much easier to see, but it's up to you, just makes for some awkward neck twisting.

Madora
December 18th, 2014, 02:34 PM
Would S&D be necessary on SL hair? I think personally I only started doing it when I got to APL as it was so much easier to see, but it's up to you, just makes for some awkward neck twisting. If you can hold the hair in front of you, w/o awkward or painful neck twisting, then fine.

spidermom
December 18th, 2014, 02:40 PM
I often snip off any splits or knots that I see sticking out of my braids.

texangrrl
December 18th, 2014, 02:48 PM
First and foremost, use sharp shears..and keep those shears only for S and D.
Secondly, do it in good light! Don't ruin your eyes!
Third: do it in small sections: ie take a small section of hair (pencil sized), gently twist it, then look for any split ends that pop up.
Or: just pick up a few strands and visually search for white dots or split ends...usually the last 3 inches of hair are the most likely places to find splits..but you can find them at almost any place along the strand.

To aid in seeing the splits, I hold my hair up in front of my tv screen (which is not on).
Working against a white background also helps. (Dark background if you have light colored hair).

Best defense against splits: stay away from unfriendly hair practices, try and wear your hair up. Use mineral oil on the ends (just a drop or two, not more).

Thank you for the information!!! It's very helpful!! :D

Use very sharp scissors. I bought salon quality scissors just for S and Ding. Use good light. I have an under cupboard light that helps me see my dark blond hairs very well over the black counter top. The best light for me is in the car on a sunny day. Some people carry scissors in the car for s and d ing. I also bought a pair of super magnified reading glasses. Section your hair so you don't repeat the same spots. Be sure to look at hairs that aren't just the longest ones, and also splits can happen an inch or more up the hair shaft, so you will miss some if you look just at the tips.

I stopped trims and did s and d only for the past year and grew 7 inches. And after one year, I have fairy tails.

7 inches in one year!?!?!? That's amazing!!! :applause I don't know if mine will grow that much in one year with S&D, but I would love it if it did!

And, spending a few minutes one a week or every few days is better than waiting a month and doing a huge long session (that makes you never want to do it again!).

Thank you for that tip! I'll remember that so I don't get annoyed and turn myself off it.

Arete
December 18th, 2014, 02:54 PM
^^^^ Me too. In fact, I just did a mini S & D when I noticed a few split ends in my braid just now! I finally got the one bad split that I keep finding when I don't have scissors on hand, and that when I finally get to my scissors disappears :p

I like to do my S and Ding before wash day as my hair gets straighter and thus is easier to sort through then when it's in wurly beast mode.

yogagirl
December 18th, 2014, 03:26 PM
So glad to come across this thread! I want to increase my time between trims, so I will start S&D as soon as I see splits.

Where would you buy salon quality shears in the US? Sally's/Ulta/Amazon? Any specific recommended brands or models?

texangrrl
December 18th, 2014, 03:59 PM
So glad to come across this thread! I want to increase my time between trims, so I will start S&D as soon as I see splits.

Where would you buy salon quality shears in the US? Sally's/Ulta/Amazon? Any specific recommended brands or models?

Great question!!! Any recommendations for shears?

gthlvrmx
December 18th, 2014, 04:02 PM
I remember that the hair strands have to be cut by making a "T" with the scissors and the end of the hair. You do this to prevent further damage. A nice clean straight cut. Try not to cut your hair slanted.

Heavy Raindrops
December 18th, 2014, 04:19 PM
I like to do a few plaits in my hair. Usually plenty of hairs with split ends will stick out throughout my plait. I get rid of those and leave it at that otherwise I spend too long S&D'ing my hair.

Madora
December 18th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I like to do a few plaits in my hair. Usually plenty of hairs with split ends will stick out throughout my plait. I get rid of those and leave it at that otherwise I spend too long S&D'ing my hair. That's a great method, Heavy Raindrops! I do that too..but only with one plait.

texangrrl
December 18th, 2014, 05:08 PM
Just out of curiosity, would a regular pair of sharp scissors work or do I need to buy shears? This could be uninformed thinking, but it seems to me a regular pair of scissors that are sharp should work just as well as a pair of shears.

Heavy Raindrops
December 18th, 2014, 05:31 PM
That's a great method, Heavy Raindrops! I do that too..but only with one plait.

Hey Madora, thanks. :) I used to do one plait as well but now I just split it up into 3/4 so I can find more split ends. :)

meteor
December 18th, 2014, 05:43 PM
Just out of curiosity, would a regular pair of sharp scissors work or do I need to buy shears? This could be uninformed thinking, but it seems to me a regular pair of scissors that are sharp should work just as well as a pair of shears.

Yes, but make sure that those scissors cut nothing but your hair.

lunalocks
December 18th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I bought my salon scissors in the US at a chain store called Ed Wyse that carries professional salon products. They were expensive - around $60. But it was my Christmas present to myself and it is only for S and D. not for trims. I have to hide them from my family. My hairdresser at the time said they were pretty good scissors - sorry i don.t have the brand, wait, I'll look - they have "toolworx by PERSONA" stamped on them. Even tho they seem expensive, professional scissors can be hundreds of dollars. I think that small sewing or embroidery scissors would be as sharp and not so expensive, and maybe even prettier, tho these ones fit well in the hand and also have a tightening mechanism.

Yes, 7 inches in one year. (I also wear my hair up 95% of the time, rinse with catnip tea and leave it in, use a few drops of generic baby oil on the ends when damp and at night before bunning.) Have to say, though, that my ends are thin. I will be doing my first trim to maintain at classic soon. Almost there!!!!

Sharysa
December 18th, 2014, 05:51 PM

That depends on your preferences. I'd HATE S&D sessions every week because I know I'd get obsessive, so once a month is fine for me--I can go nuts for a couple of hours S&Ding on the new moon, and then I can forget it until the next new moon. I trim my hair every month, anyway, so that's taking care of two birds with one stone.

LauraLongLocks
December 18th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I try to S&D a few times a week. I don't let more than a week pass without doing it, if I can help it.

texangrrl
December 18th, 2014, 06:24 PM
Yes, but make sure that those scissors cut nothing but your hair.

Hmm, those scissors I already have are used for everything, lol. But they're still quite sharp!! I ran to Sally Beauty Supply and picked up a pair of shears. They cost me $42 since I have a membership there. I still think that's kinda pricey, but they were the only pair they had that I could use (I'm a lefty!! :thumbsup:). But, if I look at in terms of haircuts, the three trims a year that I averaged would cost about that when added up together.

trolleypup
December 18th, 2014, 06:30 PM
I'll add Good Light to the mix. Sunlight is very nice. My current go to is a high wattage LED light from the side against a dark background (darker hair). Super sharp shears...if they get dull, they will start to crush the strands rather than cutting them cleanly, leading to more splits. I have a pair of Japanese style shears (both sides sharp, as opposed to the German style with one side sharp and one side blunt anvil). Keep them oiled...you should barely feel when you cut a strand!

texangrrl
December 18th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Yes, 7 inches in one year. (I also wear my hair up 95% of the time, rinse with catnip tea and leave it in, use a few drops of generic baby oil on the ends when damp and at night before bunning.) Have to say, though, that my ends are thin. I will be doing my first trim to maintain at classic soon. Almost there!!!!

That's amazing growth for just one year!! I wear my hair up only when I'm working out because I love the look of long, flowing hair. I never bun at night, but I'm thinking I should start doing it. What do you use to hold your bun in place while you sleep?

texangrrl
December 18th, 2014, 06:34 PM
I'll add Good Light to the mix. Sunlight is very nice. My current go to is a high wattage LED light from the side against a dark background (darker hair). Super sharp shears...if they get dull, they will start to crush the strands rather than cutting them cleanly, leading to more splits. I have a pair of Japanese style shears (both sides sharp, as opposed to the German style with one side sharp and one side blunt anvil). Keep them oiled...you should barely feel when you cut a strand!

What kind of oil is recommended to use on them? Also, the brand that I bought is called Fromm. Since I'm left handed, I was limited in options (1 option, to be exact). Have you heard of that or used it? If so, what is your opinion?

lunalocks
December 18th, 2014, 07:04 PM
For sleeping I hold my bun with spin pins or a wood fork. It works because I don't sleep on my back. I also have a satin sleep cap. Just haven't gotten into the habit of putting it on every night. But it is comfortable and protects the hair.

calmyogi
December 18th, 2014, 07:04 PM
They have hair cutting scissors in the hair accessory isle, at wal mart, for about $6. I would think as long as you use them only for this purpose they would be fine, wouldn't they?

Madora
December 18th, 2014, 07:19 PM
They have hair cutting scissors in the hair accessory isle, at wal mart, for about $6. I would think as long as you use them only for this purpose they would be fine, wouldn't they? I think so! I cut my splits with cuticle scissors.

yogagirl
December 18th, 2014, 07:22 PM
They have hair cutting scissors in the hair accessory isle, at wal mart, for about $6. I would think as long as you use them only for this purpose they would be fine, wouldn't they?
Oh another yogi! Hi there :)

And thank you for the walmart tip! I will check there.

LauraLongLocks
December 18th, 2014, 07:39 PM
This thread inspired me to do a S&D. I am finding fewer and fewer of them, so I think I'm making headway.

yogagirl
December 18th, 2014, 07:45 PM
This thread inspired me to do a S&D. I am finding fewer and fewer of them, so I think I'm making headway.
Sounds like it's working then!!

texangrrl
December 18th, 2014, 08:48 PM

I think so! I cut my splits with cuticle scissors.

Hmm, I may just return these ones and check at Walmart.

texangrrl
December 18th, 2014, 08:49 PM

I have henna in my hair at the moment or I would too!! I'll probably do it on Saturday.

trolleypup
December 22nd, 2014, 11:03 PM
What kind of oil is recommended to use on them? Also, the brand that I bought is called Fromm. Since I'm left handed, I was limited in options (1 option, to be exact). Have you heard of that or used it? If so, what is your opinion?
Light mineral oil on the moving parts...if the blades aren't feeling as smooth as I'd like (as I cut), just a light swipe on the blades (for that matter, the old jeweler trick of rubbing your nose or forehead to pick up a bit of oil works).

Fromm is a reputable brand for professional quality shears. I'm partial to my little Kenchii shears (convex edge), but any decent quality well sharpened shears that aren't used for anything else should do the job. There are high quality lefty shears out there, but they tend to be pricey.