PDA

View Full Version : Permanent dye :-(

Flossiebell
December 18th, 2014, 07:40 AM
Hi all

I just thought I would share my experience with you.

i foolishly got some golden highlights done, they don't suit me at all. So went back to hairdressers to fix it and they have dyed my whole head dark brown/purply red. Yes it looks nice, but dark though. So just over a week later I thought oh no, is it permanent? I did ask at the time but it was a 3 way conversation due to having old henna in my hair and everyone getting involved at the salon. So long story short today I find out it is permanent dye. My natural colour is light-mid ash brown and it's currently dyed dark brown/red.

so annoyed, why did they not tell me this. I only wanted a semi permanent colour. I am sure I told them that. I asked how long the colour would last and I was just told that 'this brand will last a little longer than this other one'. Thinking about it I did wonder why my hair has taken a week of solid oiling to get anything like feeling less straw like.

so now instead of growing out henna I'm now growing out dark permanent dye! Grrrrr.

does anyone know if colour oops / colour b4 works on permanent dye? Will I have to dye it red again because the dye may have lightened my hair under the colour? Any advice? I am quite pale so look like morticia addams right now! Any help would be much appreciated.

Anje
December 18th, 2014, 08:29 AM
Color Oops / Colour B4 is meant for permanent dye. However if it works, you'll likely be stuck with the highlights all over again. Also, if there was quite a lot of peroxide in the dye (hopefully not, but the straw-like consistency makes me wonder), your hair underneath might not be its natural color anymore.

I'd suggest you strand-test it before you use the color remover on your head, just to make sure it won't do anything weird. Also, be aware that permanent dyes often seem to lighten up after a week or two. Starting out darker than you wanted isn't unusual. Finally, if your hair is totally dry and damaged, it might be worth holding off for a little while. Give your hair a few deep treatments and generally try to recover it before you do something else demanding to it. Slow is easier on the hair.

Eastbound&Down
December 18th, 2014, 09:03 AM
^^I agree. I've absolutely destroyed my hair doing exactly what you are doing. Give your hair some time to recover, DT and wear it up until it stabilizes and then try again. I noticed you say you oil, I would continue to do that also. I'm sorry your your experience I know it can be nerve-wrecking.

Flossiebell
December 18th, 2014, 11:04 AM
Thanks Anje & Eastbound&Down. I need to calm down a little don't I and just keep oiling it. I just didn't want a demarcation line around my head as it grows. I hope it will fade enough that I don't need to do anything to it but I doubt I will be that lucky. I will keep oiling and see how it goes :-)

blue_eyes
December 18th, 2014, 11:36 AM
I'm very fair skinned as well, and I can't even count how many times I ended up looking like Morticia Addams when I went to get my hair dyed dark brown, haha. It should definitely lighten up after a few washings. Within a week I'd have the dark brown hair I wanted. I've been growing out black/dark brown dye for over a year, and there isn't a a stark line of demarcation at all anymore, although it was pretty bad for the first 6 months. I'm sorry this is happening to you! Hair disasters can be so frightening. :(

Decemberrose
December 18th, 2014, 12:17 PM
You could try to make the color fade a little, using head & shoulders shampoo.

Anje
December 18th, 2014, 12:41 PM
You could try to make the color fade a little, using head & shoulders shampoo.
Yep. It's not a clarifying shampoo, but it's REALLY good at removing stuff!

spidermom
December 18th, 2014, 12:47 PM
Oops! I've had the experience in the past that I thought the hair stylist and I agreed on a plan, then we started talking about a lot of things I might or might now want to do with my hair in the future. At the end I couldn't figure out why she did what she did while I wasn't paying attention, but I learned to pay attention and not talk about alternative plans for my future hair.

teddygirl
December 18th, 2014, 06:18 PM
The dark colour will most likely fade quickly. I wouldn't worry too much or use anything else to remove it besides shampoo.

Flossiebell
December 19th, 2014, 01:26 PM
Thanks everyone. I've just bought a clarifying shampoo (head and shoulders is evil! Lol) so will use that to see if it helps. More concerned about my silvers growing back in as they definitely won't blend. But will see how I get on :-)

klassyk9
January 13th, 2015, 04:33 PM
did u use permanent dye or semi???