PDA

View Full Version : Dish Soap as Clarifying Shampoo

melomane
December 17th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I heard this from a friend but I don't think I'd try it? She said Dawn Blue dishsoap doubles as a clarifying shampoo:confused: Thoughts? Should I try it??
http://dailysavings.allyou.com/2012/09/28/shampoo-dish-soap/

Sarahlabyrinth
December 17th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I had to use dish soap to clarify when I had a buildup problem from product overload back in March 2014. I clarified about 6 times with dish soap before my hair returned to normal. I didn't use Dawn though, just my usual dish soap (Sunlight dishwashing liquid). The advice was given to me by a local hairdresser.

This was the hair problem I was trying to deal with - not a pretty sight.

It worked well.

http://i1253.photobucket.com/albums/hh582/Sarahlabyrinth/DSCF3994.jpg

Saldana
December 17th, 2014, 07:00 PM
I wouldn't. I almost never need to clarify, since I don't use cones or any other products. On the rare occasion when I do, I use baking soda in a bit of shampoo. Dish soap would probably freak my hair completely out.

DreamSheep
December 17th, 2014, 07:02 PM
I don't see why it wouldn't work. I haven't used it intentionally myself, but I did accidentally wash my hair with detergent once (or twice) (my mother kindly packed some travelling-sized detergent to wash my clothes in the jungle... it came in a tiny shampoo pot and when I got round to needing to wash my clothes or hair I had completely forgotten and smelt of clothes detergent for the rest of the trip), and apart from smelling weird I didn't notice any adverse effects to my hair.

TaterTot
December 17th, 2014, 07:07 PM
I've used doctor bronners on my hair before - heavily watered down but it really makes it feel fresh :)

pastina
December 17th, 2014, 07:15 PM
it's actually great for clarifying, but it is drying. loads of people use it to shampoo before using semi's.

eta-- and it FADES color, too.

alabaster
December 17th, 2014, 07:18 PM
I've used it before to clarify with no ill effects. As long as you moisturize afterward you should be fine.

Nadine <3
December 17th, 2014, 07:47 PM
I personally wouldn't do it. You can get Suave or VO5 clarifying shampoo for a dollar, it's much cheaper than dish soap, so I don't see how you're saving anything using it on your hair.

Wildcat Diva
December 17th, 2014, 08:10 PM
Noooooooo. I wouldn't.

gthlvrmx
December 17th, 2014, 08:22 PM
I wouldn't just in case.

Islandgrrl
December 17th, 2014, 08:35 PM
Dish soap is formulated to cut grease, so it could be pretty drying. Just make sure to add enough moisture after.

embee
December 17th, 2014, 08:45 PM
It'll clarify alright. But if you dilute it well it won't be bad. I'd never use it straight like regular shampoo.

Baking Soda is sometimes suggested but I cannot use that - I get Straw Hair.

Baby_doll
December 17th, 2014, 09:05 PM
... I've done this before.... A few times. It was in the beginning of my trying to grow out my hair, I used a ton of products n never really thought about build up. (I was so ignorant about hair at the time) I use it, I would recommend dawn, if your going too, keep in mind, a actual clarifying shampoo is better, this is a incase thing. When I did it I always used cetaphil lotion on my length (my hair loves that stuff, I'm all out though :(. ) if you going to use dish soap u MUST moisturize a TON AFTER

hennalonghair
December 17th, 2014, 09:06 PM
I've used doctor bronners on my hair before - heavily watered down but it really makes it feel fresh :)

Yes but that's a far cry from dish washing liquid! YIKES!
If you need to use that type of strength cleanser to clean your hair, what are you putting in it?

spidermom
December 17th, 2014, 09:46 PM
I've used Dawn DW liquid to get Vaseline out of my hair. No bad effects that I can remember.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 17th, 2014, 09:50 PM
I had no bad effects from using it, for me it was a hair life-saver.

Beborani
December 17th, 2014, 11:13 PM
It has the same detergents that shampoos have, so it should be fine. It is all in packaging and marketing. Most normal shampoos have conditioning agents too but clarifying by definition should not.

DragonAngel
December 18th, 2014, 03:46 AM
I have recently learned a few things about PH levels and how they open/close the cuticles of the hair strand and inturn how that affects the hair structure etc. Dish washing liquid has a ph of about 7-8 whereas baking soda is more alkali and hence more damaging. Our hair is about 5.5 ph and works best with products nearer that range. Many shampoo's are are neutral and some may even be the same as dish liquid, dish liquid has salt in it too as do most shampoo products. I think based on the science that I can find it will make a very effective clarifier but your hair will need, as said by others, a deep conditioning treatment after with possibly a cuticle closing/smoothing rinse with a lower based ph such as apple cider vinegar rinse.

wilderwein
December 18th, 2014, 04:54 AM
My aunt has hair longer than floor length(?) I dont know how that hair length is called hahaha and my mom found that by accident few years ago since she always wears her hair in a bun! Impresed as she was (my mother) asked hair about what products she used on her hair, well she told her a brand name for cleaning her hair wich after some research my mom find it was dish soap hahaha I wouldnt never use it as my regular shampoo but it works for her!

lapushka
December 18th, 2014, 07:24 AM
It might work well, but I'd never... I have Pantene clarifying shampoo at the ready, so that's enough for me.

texangrrl
December 18th, 2014, 07:38 AM
If I need to clarify, I use a clarifying shampoo. I'm not sure that I would trust Dawn dish soap in my hair.

Rowdy
December 18th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I used dawn original diluted in water to clarify after two years of a terrible combination - silicone leave ins and no sulfate shampoo. (my poor hair, I really didn't know anything) I didn't condition and let it air dry because I wanted to type my hair. That was the day I found out my terrible frizzy hair were actually ringlets!

kmoc123
December 20th, 2014, 09:11 PM
I have used it and used a good coney condish afterwards. No problem!

GreenFairy
December 20th, 2014, 10:41 PM
Used Dawn dish soap once to get a demi permanent to fade out of my hair faster. Made my hair feel like straw. Had to deep condition a couple of times.

nakima
December 27th, 2014, 06:56 PM
had to use dish soap while out camping and it dried my hair out so bad I thought it would break off dont remember what I used but once bitten twice shy. I dont think I will ever do it again.

Angela_Rose
December 27th, 2014, 07:05 PM
Yikes! I don't think my hair would like it very much. On the rare occasion I need to clarify, I just mix a couple of tablespoons into a large water bottle with warm water, and just rinse through with that.

meteor
December 27th, 2014, 08:14 PM
If I need to clarify, I use a clarifying shampoo. I'm not sure that I would trust Dawn dish soap in my hair.

I tend to agree with this and many other statements.

3 issues:

1) it's easy enough to find a shampoo that will clarify, and the selection is huge;

2) dish soap is not tested on scalp and hair and it may contain high concentrations of fragrances that irritate skin;

3) ph of dish soap tends to be a lot more alkaline than shampoos (which are usually pretty acidic, just like our skin and hair), and you really don't want to disturb your scalp's and hair's ph for many reasons: keeping cuticles intact, preventing bacterial/yeast overgrowth, etc.

And, obviously, dish soap can be simply too harsh as it's not even meant to cleanse skin but kitchenware.

LauraLongLocks
December 27th, 2014, 10:48 PM
I had to use Dawn to get vaseline out of my hair. It took several washes. I conditioned well afterwards and my hair was okay.

askan
December 28th, 2014, 07:40 AM
I used unscented dish soap when I prepared for having dreadlocks made. I did a couple of washes and didn't condition afterwards and that made the dreading easy as it really took away all slip.
I would say it would be very harsh to use more than very occationally but to deal with persistant buildup, it might be worth trying. A good deep conditioning afterwards and I think most hair would be fine.

Marika
December 28th, 2014, 11:21 AM
I would never use dish soap! Most of them are very irritating to skin, not to mention eyes (if you accidentally get it in your eyes)! shudder: I have Sunlight and Fairy dish soaps at the moment and it says on the bottles "irritating to skin" and "severe risk of eye damage". They even have that same "warning symbol" as chemical drain openers. Products like Dr. Bronner are safer but I wouldn't use even them because the pH is too alkaline for hair and skin.

PrincessBob
December 28th, 2014, 01:20 PM
I've used Dawn DW liquid to get Vaseline out of my hair. No bad effects that I can remember.

Same here. I was 13, Mom had loaded my hair with vaseline because little sis brought lice home. It was awful, we had to use dawn to get it out. My hair was dry, but clean. I wouldn't use it on a regular basis, though.

swearnsue
December 28th, 2014, 05:00 PM
Dawn was used to wash oily sludge off of water birds after the Exxon Valdez disaster as a last resort to save their lives. I wouldn't use it on humans with some silicone build up on their hair.

meteor
December 28th, 2014, 05:25 PM
Same here. I was 13, Mom had loaded my hair with vaseline because little sis brought lice home. It was awful, we had to use dawn to get it out. My hair was dry, but clean. I wouldn't use it on a regular basis, though.

Yikes! shudder: Your mom had the right idea about covering scalp with some oil to kill lice by "smothering" them, but Vaseline is ridiculously viscous. In case somebody is wondering, neem oil or tea tree oil (diluted in carrier oil) are excellent natural anti-lice treatments: they kill lice and eggs, disrupting their eating and breeding cycle, not just smothering them.

lady mechanic
December 28th, 2014, 05:48 PM
I've done it but only when I get motor oil or transmission fluid in my hair. Regular clarifying shampoo won't cut it. Other than special circumstances like that I think it might be to drying for alot of folks. I'd say try it once with a deep treatment after and see how it works

mariechin1234
December 28th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I love L'Oreal hair products. It's something that you should try as well.

tokugawa.miyako
December 28th, 2014, 11:51 PM
Motor oil and vaseline... it's interesting to read the kinds of things that people get stuck in their hair! ;)

I'm not sure I'd use dish soap unless it was all I had or a last resort of some kind. I'm sure it would work to clarify but... I wouldn't want to risk drying my hair out too much. Maybe I'm just not adventurous enough. :shrug:

Adiro
December 29th, 2014, 12:20 AM
My sis used it several times to remove a permanent hair color, it actually worked pretty well. Eyes, there is a great need for moisturizing and ioilinga bit after. Yes there a re products designated for clarifying but if you have a quick need you can use dish detergent, nothing terrible will happen

Kendrix
December 29th, 2014, 11:43 PM
That sounds terrifying...