PDA

View Full Version : Waist length curly hair

CurlyHairLiz
December 17th, 2014, 07:12 AM
Hi all,

I have curly hair. (see picture) When my hair is wet, it is almost waist length.
But I would like to have waist length hair when my hair is dry.

I just want to know how you experienced your hair growth.
Curls grow slower than straight hair.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/4d/a6/57/4da657413b47ffa75754377dc2ba00d5.jpg

chen bao jun
December 17th, 2014, 07:23 AM
Mine is still short but have to say yours is gorgeous and looks like waist to me

Wildcat Diva
December 17th, 2014, 07:27 AM
*falls on floor dead*. Your hair, it's so beautiful, it has slain me.

Kina
December 17th, 2014, 07:29 AM
I agree with chen. Your hair is lovely. I think the biggest difference is probably products and how you treat to retain length. For example, many people with straight or wavy hair brush their's, which can be very damaging for curlys. Your best bet is to go overy to the 3 and 4's threads to see what others with your hair type have found to be helpful.

stachelbeere
December 17th, 2014, 07:31 AM
waist length, let's see... *scrolls down* *scrolls* *scrolls* *scroooolls* ... where does it end!?

seconding Wildcat Div - and I think your hair is waist length already? :)

arelrios
December 17th, 2014, 07:43 AM
:crush::crush: your hair is gorgeous... and I agree, I think is waist already :)

Madora
December 17th, 2014, 07:50 AM
Hi all,

I have curly hair. (see picture) When my hair is wet, it is almost waist length.
But I would like to have waist length hair when my hair is dry.

I just want to know how you experienced your hair growth.
Curls grow slower than straight hair.

http://media-cache-ec0.pinimg.com/originals/4d/a6/57/4da657413b47ffa75754377dc2ba00d5.jpg Your hair is wonderful, CurlyHairLiz! Major kudos for attaining waist. Managing hair as curly as yours takes a lot of patience and dedication. As for my hair growth, at one point I had a big stall where it just sat there for 8 months and didn't seem to do anything. My hair doesn't grow as fast as it did when I was younger, so reaching my current length took a bit of patience..and tlc (my current length is knee).

Halliday
December 17th, 2014, 07:51 AM
:thudpile:

That is waist for sure. Your hair is INCREDIBLE. Routine please!!!!

CurlyHairLiz
December 17th, 2014, 08:02 AM
Thank you all for your reaction!. :D

well, oke, maybe my hair is already waist length.
But my goal is to have it like this:
http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/originals/c8/44/66/c84466e362cce68a594b2b23b2be15e1.jpg

LongCurlyTress
December 17th, 2014, 08:37 AM
Yep! CurlyHairLiz! I know exactly how frustrated you feel! My 3b hair also really shrinks up when curly and dry. It is hip length when wet and pulled straight at 31inches. :( Very frustrating! I would love to know your hair products and routine please! Your hair is beautiful, so I guess we should just appreciate what we have that so many others wish they had. Anyways, I just wanted to commiserate with you. Please share your routine and products. Thanks so much!! :beerchug:

PS My siggy pic is my hair after it dried in a lwb and has EVOO in it and brushed out. I am naturally as curly as you are!! Please share your products!!!

LadyCelestina
December 17th, 2014, 08:53 AM
I would say you still need some to be solidly at waist,but when I was at your length for the first time I think I already claimed it :lol: Gorgeous curls.

Mine doesn't seem to grow slowly at all,but that is because I am short and my curl pattern is much looser than yours and gets even looser due to bunning and braiding.Being you,I wouldn't worry about it,put it up,don't cut it,and it will get to your goal length.Most important thing,just don't imagine the time it takes to get there,it'll just get you discouraged - and time will fly.
There's nothing much to do about it,other than that :shrug: you can't speed up time.

CurlyHairLiz
December 17th, 2014, 09:21 AM
Yep! CurlyHairLiz! I know exactly how frustrated you feel! My 3b hair also really shrinks up when curly and dry. It is hip length when wet and pulled straight at 31inches. :( Very frustrating! I would love to know your hair products and routine please! Your hair is beautiful, so I guess we should just appreciate what we have that so many others wish they had. Anyways, I just wanted to commiserate with you. Please share your routine and products. Thanks so much!! :beerchug:

PS My siggy pic is my hair after it dried in a lwb and has EVOO in it and brushed out. I am naturally as curly as you are!! Please share your products!!!

I like my curls.
I wonder how hard it will be to detangle and style my hair, when it is like knee length.
Curly hair is not easy to fix.

After I wash my hair I use conditioner and gel.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XBWAmnxcOd4
This is my routine video.

I would say you still need some to be solidly at waist,but when I was at your length for the first time I think I already claimed it :lol: Gorgeous curls.

Mine doesn't seem to grow slowly at all,but that is because I am short and my curl pattern is much looser than yours and gets even looser due to bunning and braiding.Being you,I wouldn't worry about it,put it up,don't cut it,and it will get to your goal length.Most important thing,just don't imagine the time it takes to get there,it'll just get you discouraged - and time will fly.
There's nothing much to do about it,other than that :shrug: you can't speed up time.

Yes, you are right. I think the correct answer for how to grow hair is WAIT. haha.
I did nothing for having my hair this length. But I didn't really cut it for like 6 years. (only 3 little mini cuts I did myself)

Charybdis
December 17th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Maybe Quixii will come by and comment. Her hair might be slightly less curly than yours, CurlyHairLiz, or I may just be thinking that because her hair is so long it has pulled out some of the curl in the length. Anyway, Quixii's hair is knee-length when wet, so I imagine she can give you some insight on detangling. I don't think she has any problems styling it.

Also, your hair looks awesome! :flower:

Anje
December 17th, 2014, 10:16 AM
Lovely curls! You've got such nice curl definition all the way to the ends -- it's great!

I think what you're going for is approximately what we call "hip" around here. (We tend to go by body markers like the thinnest point in your middle, rather than stuff like where the waistband of your pants is.)

And I agree with Charybdis -- Quixii would be a great person to talk to about having long and curly hair. Maybe Gumball too -- his is less curly than yours, but he's got a lot of length. I don't see much of wonderlywroughte on the mane boards these days, but she's got at least tailbone-length curls and it's been a lot longer than that in the past.

LongCurlyTress
December 17th, 2014, 11:13 AM
OMMMG!!! I love your hair and video! Thanks so much for sharing your secrets. I have been very frustrated with using gel, specifically aloe vera gel, the next day I have serious hairshed due to detangling in the shower, so gel scares me but I know that it is a great solution for frizz and to create epic curls like yours! :) As she goes off to try gel again.... :):cheer: And, yes, detangling at knee length will definitely be a challenge since I am finding it difficult just at hip length now. :( Guess we will hang in there (literally!! ;) together! Please friend me so you can check out my pics too! Thanks! :hifive: And also welcome to LHC! You will love it here! ;)

Just want to add that the luscious thickness of your hair also adds to the degree of difficulty to care for curly hair. Mine is 4.5 inches circumference and it can literally be a handful. Yours looks to be the same thickness as mine. :) And, your hair is already at waist or possibly at hip when stretched and brushed out. I always measure when wet or brushed out straight, otherwise length measurement just isn't fair for us curlygirls!

Wildcat Diva
December 17th, 2014, 11:53 AM
*miraculously revives* Wait, there's a video to go with the pic? I missed that. Where!?!

LongCurlyTress
December 17th, 2014, 12:01 PM
I like my curls.
I wonder how hard it will be to detangle and style my hair, when it is like knee length.

Just reposting CurlyHairLiz's video from below for Wildcat Diva! ;)

Wildcat Diva
December 17th, 2014, 12:20 PM
Thanks!!!!

MedusaWarrior
December 17th, 2014, 01:40 PM
Beautiful curls!!! I might actually try out your technique on my hair. I find that when I rake gel through my hair I lose curl but maybe I'm not scrunching enough afterwards?

lapushka
December 17th, 2014, 01:59 PM
I just wanted to say you have gorgeous hair! Amazing curls. :)

Hootenanny
December 17th, 2014, 02:14 PM
I like my curls.

Great video! I too am a fan of EcoStyler. Gotta bust that out again for my next wash. :)

Quixii
December 17th, 2014, 02:33 PM
Wow, your hair is beautiful!

Looks to me that you're already at waist, but are aiming for hip.

I'm so excited to see your hair grow out!

kitschy
December 17th, 2014, 03:39 PM
I love your hair. I need to try really soaking in gel and letting mine dry - it something I've never really been able to achieve.

LongCurlyTress
December 17th, 2014, 03:50 PM
Thanks!!!!

You are so welcome Wildcat Diva! Happy to help you out! :cheese:

Beautiful curls!!! I might actually try out your technique on my hair. I find that when I rake gel through my hair I lose curl but maybe I'm not scrunching enough afterwards?

Hi MW!! Happy to see you here on LHC! ;) Sorry, don't mean to go off topic! :couch:

MedusaWarrior
December 17th, 2014, 04:12 PM
Hi MW!! Happy to see you here on LHC! ;) Sorry, don't mean to go off topic! :couch:

Hey LCT! Good to see you too!! :) I remember on a thread you asked me to friend you but I don't think I have those privileges yet because I haven't posted enough :(

It's good to see your progress though!! And your hair's so shiny!:applause

LongCurlyTress
December 17th, 2014, 04:29 PM
Hey LCT! Good to see you too!! :) I remember on a thread you asked me to friend you but I don't think I have those privileges yet because I haven't posted enough :(

It's good to see your progress though!! And your hair's so shiny!:applause

Thanks!! I am finding that detangling after my next washing after I just let it dry curly is really creating alot of shedding, so I usually put a bit of hair serum and EVOO on it, only a dime size amount of each, then I let it dry in a lwb. I brush it out as the day goes on, so it is drying straighter, well wavier. I smooth a bit more of EVOO over the top halo layer when it is dry, hence the shininess! ;) I hope you can post more so you get more privileges!! :popcorn::happydance:

chen bao jun
December 17th, 2014, 04:58 PM
This thread is very inspiring.
I am trying to look like BSL next year by May, which will be three years growing for me. Lovely to see wais5, hip, knee. Where is curly cap? And where is celina starr, she is at thigh and has gorgeous curls.

AmberJewel
December 17th, 2014, 07:29 PM
A great big :thud: to all of you gorgeous curlies. It sounds like an interesting challenge to deal with, but the results are stunning!

Beckstar
December 17th, 2014, 07:35 PM
Yay, another curly! Gorgeous hair.

Wildcat Diva
December 17th, 2014, 08:02 PM

Oh my, the bouncynessssss of those curls. I don't have Eco styler Gel yet.

hennalonghair
December 17th, 2014, 09:50 PM
I agree with chen. Your hair is lovely. I think the biggest difference is probably products and how you treat to retain length. For example, many people with straight or wavy hair brush their's, which can be very damaging for curlys. Your best bet is to go overy to the 3 and 4's threads to see what others with your hair type have found to be helpful.
Yes I agree with Kina. Your hair is beautiful. I've got almost waist length wavy/ curly hair but Im not nearly as curly as you and can and do brush my hair. You would be best following the 3a -3c hair groups for more specific hair care for your hair type.

OMMMG!!! I love your hair and video! Thanks so much for sharing your secrets. I have been very frustrated with using gel, specifically aloe vera gel, the next day I have serious hairshed due to detangling in the shower, so gel scares me but I know that it is a great solution for frizz and to create epic curls like yours! :) As she goes off to try gel again.... :):cheer: And, yes, detangling at knee length will definitely be a challenge since I am finding it difficult just at hip length now. :( Guess we will hang in there (literally!! ;) together! Please friend me so you can check out my pics too! Thanks! :hifive: And also welcome to LHC! You will love it here! ;)

Just want to add that the luscious thickness of your hair also adds to the degree of difficulty to care for curly hair. Mine is 4.5 inches circumference and it can literally be a handful. Yours looks to be the same thickness as mine. :) And, your hair is already at waist or possibly at hip when stretched and brushed out. I always measure when wet or brushed out straight, otherwise length measurement just isn't fair for us curlygirls!

I agree! When you've got thick curly hair, length is ire difficult to obtain but then if you are tall and long waisted then it looks even shorter . I've got the same length as you longcurlytress only it 5.25 inch circumference and it doesn't sit anywhere close to where yours is. I like my height but sometimes wish I was shorter.

vega
December 18th, 2014, 01:37 AM
I don't like using gels in my curls , gel makes hair crunchy

jeanniet
December 18th, 2014, 11:34 AM
Gel can be scrunched out so it's not crunchy. Using leave in underneath will also keep any crunch away for a lot of people.

CurlyHairLiz, such pretty hair! I follow a very similar routine, but my hair is much shorter now.

LongCurlyTress
December 18th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I agree! When you've got thick curly hair, length is ire difficult to obtain but then if you are tall and long waisted then it looks even shorter . I've got the same length as you longcurlytress only it 5.25 inch circumference and it doesn't sit anywhere close to where yours is. I like my height but sometimes wish I was shorter.

Hennalonghair! Your hair is gorgeous! 5.25 circumference? WOW!!! Is your hair heavy? Mine was feeling heavy so I cut layers into it myself to try to lighten it up. Oh geesh was that a mistake. But, in November I trimmed off almost 2 inches to even up the hemline and thicken up my braid tassel. It will probably take at least another year or two to grow out those dumb layers! Never again! :/

I am a shrimp..only 5'2" tall, so I guess hair length looks longer on me than on taller ladies. I love how full your hair looks! It's just beautiful! ;)

Oh my, the bouncynessssss of those curls. I don't have Eco styler Gel yet.

Wildcat Diva, I think CurlyHairLiz uses Ecostyler --Krystal. Is this right, CurlyHairLiz? I am now very curious since the ingredients seem to be curlygirl friendly and your hair looks gorgeous. But... the leave in you are using is from Europe- Holland. Do you know of a similar brand in the USA? Thanks! Just trying to make sure we all get the correct brands that you are using, CurlyHairLiz! :hmm:

copied from video under "show more" tab
Used products:
Oil & Care conditioner (Andrelon)
Eco Styler Gel (Krystal)

Nadine <3
December 18th, 2014, 12:01 PM
Oh. My. Goodness...I just wanted to say that your hair is so pretty! Those curls are magnificent and the color is stunning!

hennalonghair
December 18th, 2014, 12:11 PM
Hennalonghair! Your hair is gorgeous! 5.25 circumference? WOW!!! Is your hair heavy? Mine was feeling heavy so I cut layers into it myself to try to lighten it up. Oh geesh was that a mistake. But, in November I trimmed off almost 2 inches to even up the hemline and thicken up my braid tassel. It will probably take at least another year or two to grow out those dumb layers! Never again! :/

I am a shrimp..only 5'2" tall, so I guess hair length looks longer on me than on taller ladies. I love how full your hair looks! It's just beautiful! ;)

Oh YES it is very heavy and its only since joining LHC that I've found ways to keep it up and the accessories to do so without looking hideous. Lol! Because of this I've only ever reached TBL . Now I'm ready to grow my hair to classic.
I admire your hair also. I LOVE your thickness and hemline. I'm so anal about a thick healthy hairline and I also make the mistake of going to a hairdresser for an inch trim and the woman cut 8 inches off in layers. Since my hair is so thick I thought she was just dividing it so she cut get a better cut but when she was finished I had layers and I hate layers. Layers especially at the bottom creates major frizz so I had to let the layers grow out in order for me to cut them off but I finally did it. That was two years ago and it took me about 14 months to grow it out. Now I never consider going to someone else but instead rely on myself.
I really like your hair brushed out ( siggie pic) and admire that your a curly who uses a brush. I have to use one myself or my hair becomes a dry, tangled mess. Brushing helps disburst the oils throughout my hair which smoothed it out. I loose some curl BUT I really appreciate the fact that I can wear my hair either way. Smooth and wavy or spiraly curls.

I could tell by your hair measurements and where it sat on you that you were short :p

I don't like most gels or curl enhancers but I do love using coconut oil together with a curl enhancer that I find works incredibly well on my hair and its by Aveda. Its called Be Curiy and its expensive but you only need a tiny amount and it lasts me a long time. It has no crunch but just enhances soft curls.
On the very ends I use shea butter mixed with coconut oil and tree wax. Its the bees knees:D

LongCurlyTress
December 18th, 2014, 04:41 PM
Oh YES it is very heavy and its only since joining LHC that I've found ways to keep it up and the accessories to do so without looking hideous. Lol! Because of this I've only ever reached TBL . Now I'm ready to grow my hair to classic.
I admire your hair also. I LOVE your thickness and hemline. I'm so anal about a thick healthy hairline and I also make the mistake of going to a hairdresser for an inch trim and the woman cut 8 inches off in layers. Since my hair is so thick I thought she was just dividing it so she cut get a better cut but when she was finished I had layers and I hate layers. Layers especially at the bottom creates major frizz so I had to let the layers grow out in order for me to cut them off but I finally did it. That was two years ago and it took me about 14 months to grow it out. Now I never consider going to someone else but instead rely on myself.
I really like your hair brushed out ( siggie pic) and admire that your a curly who uses a brush. I have to use one myself or my hair becomes a dry, tangled mess. Brushing helps disburst the oils throughout my hair which smoothed it out. I loose some curl BUT I really appreciate the fact that I can wear my hair either way. Smooth and wavy or spiraly curls.

I could tell by your hair measurements and where it sat on you that you were short :p

I am glad you also brush out your curls. Yes! If I leave my hair curly which I do sometimes, the next day it is a tangled mess. But, yes! It is fun to be able to go both smooth and wavy or curly, spiraly girl! We are lucky!! Unless, of course it is raining outside... then a lwb with EVOO until the rain passes and the air dries up. Humidity also makes my hair explode in frizz. Do you wear your hair down? If I wear mine down, brushed out or curly, it only stays in place for awhile, but wind, open car windows, anything just makes it a huge blown mess so I usually just throw it into a lwb to keep it under control.

Oh sorry about derailing this thread folks! It's just so much fun to meet and chat with other really curly girls, not just wavies, no offense wavies! But we 3's and 4's have hair that takes on a life of its own if we don't keep it under control. And huge yes to loving coconut oil (use it on my two strand braid every night! And EVOO and hair serum, which I use to style and detangle my hair everyday after I swim laps. :)

Just also want to mention that one of my hair idols is the singer, Nicolette Larson. Unfortunately, she has passed away, but her videos and pics are so incredible! Just thought I would share!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xgiS0nCGnU

hennalonghair
December 18th, 2014, 06:01 PM
I am glad you also brush out your curls. Yes! If I leave my hair curly which I do sometimes, the next day it is a tangled mess. But, yes! It is fun to be able to go both smooth and wavy or curly, spiraly girl! We are lucky!! Unless, of course it is raining outside... then a lwb with EVOO until the rain passes and the air dries up. Humidity also makes my hair explode in frizz. Do you wear your hair down? If I wear mine down, brushed out or curly, it only stays in place for awhile, but wind, open car windows, anything just makes it a huge blown mess so I usually just throw it into a lwb to keep it under control.

Oh sorry about derailing this thread folks! It's just so much fun to meet and chat with other really curly girls, not just wavies, no offense wavies! But we 3's and 4's have hair that takes on a life of its own if we don't keep it under control. And huge yes to loving coconut oil (use it on my two strand braid every night! And EVOO and hair serum, which I use to style and detangle my hair everyday after I swim laps. :)

Just also want to mention that one of my hair idols is the singer, Nicolette Larson. Unfortunately, she has passed away, but her videos and pics are so incredible! Just thought I would share!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9xgiS0nCGnU

Yes I leave my hair down on wash day which is about once a week. Then I rock the Curiy look. I am mainly 2b/2c but I have an under layer of 3a which I have to consider . I always brush my hair before going to bed and if I left my just washed hair for longer than a day it would be a tangled mess. You bet. :lol:
I enjoy having a hair down day. The other 6 days my hair is usually bunned which is great cause then I can add as much oil to my ends as I want to keep the ends hydrated.
My hair does tend to get a but frizzy in humid / rainy weather. It poofs out like you wouldn't believe but I also get a head full of kiss curls so its kind of cool too.

I'm a swimmer also :thumbsup:

Do you stuff all that hair under a bathing cap?
Its quite the buldge huh?
Same with winter hats :lol:

LongCurlyTress
December 18th, 2014, 07:42 PM
Yes I leave my hair down on wash day which is about once a week. Then I rock the Curiy look. I am mainly 2b/2c but I have an under layer of 3a which I have to consider . I always brush my hair before going to bed and if I left my just washed hair for longer than a day it would be a tangled mess. You bet. :lol:
I enjoy having a hair down day. The other 6 days my hair is usually bunned which is great cause then I can add as much oil to my ends as I want to keep the ends hydrated.
My hair does tend to get a but frizzy in humid / rainy weather. It poofs out like you wouldn't believe but I also get a head full of kiss curls so its kind of cool too.

I'm a swimmer also :thumbsup:

Do you stuff all that hair under a bathing cap?
Its quite the buldge huh?
Same with winter hats :lol:

Yes! Love the LWB for oiling the ends and hiding the oily hair! I do swim laps everyday, about 2600 yards. It's an addiction now, and I have shoulder tendonitis to prove it! I just kick alot with a kickboard or do breaststroke on days I am aching too much. Swimming is my total sanity! I use a silicon cap and before I put it on, I put my hair into a nape length ponytail with a very loose hairtie. Then I put on my cap and then I tuck in the ponytail from the back. The pony tail buldge on the back of my head under the cap is so big that my goggles barely fit around it!! Ouch!! LOL!! It's all good! I just have the coconut oil on my length, ears to tips from the two strand braid from the previous nights sleeping. I dont add anymore conditioner etc. since if I do, the cap slides off. :( Do you put anything on your hair before swimming? How do you fit all your hair under your cap? Do you swim masters?

And my DH loves the kiss curls! Thanks! Now there is a name for them! He also calls them hermit curls because they hide under at the nape area! ;)

gnome82
December 19th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Thank You for sharing, your curly blonde hair is beautiful. My hair is curly when I scrunch it, I think I may have my hair type on profile not right, I dunno I get confused.

CurlyHairLiz
December 21st, 2014, 11:13 AM
Wow, your hair is beautiful!

Looks to me that you're already at waist, but are aiming for hip.

I'm so excited to see your hair grow out!

Wooow, your hair is really long and curly.
I love it!! :D
I cannot view your profile. But I like to see more pictures of your very long hair.

Thanks!. I like your profile picture too!!
I used to put in products when my hair was soaking wet.
But the time to let my hair air dry is like 6 -8 hours on that way.

So, I changed my routine a bit since a short time.
I try to dry my hair in a curly towel for 1 hour.
After that I use my products. Scrunch it in a lot.

My hair is faster dry and my hair looks bigger, more volume and more curls.

Gel is perfect against Frizz. I cannot fix my hair without gel. But I don't use really much gel after washing my hair.
Because I am new here, I cannot view profiles or invite friends. I think I have to wait??
Thank you!

cabellolargo_15
May 11th, 2018, 07:53 AM
right! gurl thats waist length already! + your hair is curly so it probably longer than that cuz curly hair shrinks up. And its not true that curls grow slower than straight hair. I'm black with type 3c hair and I'v had long hair my whole life!;):eyebrows:

lapushka
May 11th, 2018, 08:56 AM
right! gurl thats waist length already! + your hair is curly so it probably longer than that cuz curly hair shrinks up. And its not true that curls grow slower than straight hair. I'm black with type 3c hair and I'v had long hair my whole life!;):eyebrows:

The last post in this thread was from 2014. ;)