PDA

View Full Version : Blow dryer?

Baby_doll
December 16th, 2014, 03:11 PM
I know, I know. There bad for hair. They are a heat tool. But since my mom has been complaining that my hair isn't flowing and it looks stiff (I've been water only for two months up until today when I cracked and diluted my old loreal evercreme sulfate free shampoo in a cup of water and put it on my scalp area, then I used a blow dryer (scary) and dryed just my first few inches closest to my scalp (on the coldest and lightest setting) in hopes that it would give it a more flowing ish look. So along to my question. Are blow dryers really all that bad if there used on cold and the light settings? I don't us it on my ends, jus my root area for my mom to keep her mouth shut. Will this cause damage? My hair rarely tangled as is. Are there any long hair people who use a blow dryer? I'm not long yet but I'd rather not stunt myself

Madora
December 16th, 2014, 03:16 PM
As long as you use the lowest setting, you should be fine. I never used one but I know there are several long hairs here who do.

arr
December 16th, 2014, 03:53 PM
I use it after every hair washing. Use a low cool or lightly warm setting. A good test is if you can keep your hand in the air stream comfortably then it isn't too hot. Be gentle and blow downward to avoid tangles. Unless you have very fine or extreme delicate hair, you should be just fine.

lapushka
December 16th, 2014, 04:14 PM
My hair is TBL and is blow dried once weekly (on cool/warm). I have no split ends or white dots; no damage. So no, I don't think it hurts.

DreamSheep
December 16th, 2014, 04:28 PM
I swear I've read some people who blowdry their hair (was going to say lapushka - and indeed, above she confirms!).
I don't usually, but because I'm lazy - but I don't think doing it on cool or even lukewarm would be that damaging. It is the very hot settings that produce the smell of burnt hair that are damaging.

teddygirl
December 16th, 2014, 09:00 PM
1) Your mom should MHOB. Why does she care if your hair isnt flowey enough?
2) Used on cool/low it should be fine.

Baby_doll
December 16th, 2014, 09:49 PM
I agree, but she's also the woman who cut my hair short because I got a "attitude" and I mean a tiny attitude, she asked why I don't curl my hair n I said because she doesn't let me go anywhere. Next thing I knew I was in a salon getting my almost waist length hair cut in a bob, crying my eyes out.

betterhairday
December 19th, 2014, 09:21 AM
I know, I know. There bad for hair. They are a heat tool. But since my mom has been complaining that my hair isn't flowing and it looks stiff (I've been water only for two months up until today when I cracked and diluted my old loreal evercreme sulfate free shampoo in a cup of water and put it on my scalp area, then I used a blow dryer (scary) and dryed just my first few inches closest to my scalp (on the coldest and lightest setting) in hopes that it would give it a more flowing ish look. So along to my question. Are blow dryers really all that bad if there used on cold and the light settings? I don't us it on my ends, jus my root area for my mom to keep her mouth shut. Will this cause damage? My hair rarely tangled as is. Are there any long hair people who use a blow dryer? I'm not long yet but I'd rather not stunt myself

My daughter (who has shoulder length curly hair) and I (who have straight collar length hair) each have a http://www.karminhairtools.com/karmin-salon-series-ultralight-professional-ionic-hair-dryer.html, it has all the latest technology and it works well for us both and certainly does not do any damage to our hair. It has variable heat settings and definitely has a cool setting plus it comes with a diffuser which dissipates the heat more evenly.

texangrrl
December 19th, 2014, 10:42 AM
I use a blow dryer every other day because I shower in the mornings and I can't show up to work with wet hair. I have a microfiber towel turban that I use when I get out of the shower and after wearing it about 10 - 15 minutes, I take it off and let my hair air dry until I'm close to getting ready to leave for work. At that point, I blow dry my roots because I have an awful cowlick in the front that has to be tamed with heat. Then I blow dry the length just enough where it isn't too damp. Not sure what your hair care routine is, but it's worth noting that I use a coney conditioner and I also use oils in my hair (organic cold-pressed jojoba and organic unrefined coconut oil, to be exact).

Anje
December 19th, 2014, 11:50 AM
Cool or warm temp settings should be fine, I agree. I'm not a regular blowdryer-user, but I don't think they're inherently evil if used carefully.

I agree, but she's also the woman who cut my hair short because I got a "attitude" and I mean a tiny attitude, she asked why I don't curl my hair n I said because she doesn't let me go anywhere. Next thing I knew I was in a salon getting my almost waist length hair cut in a bob, crying my eyes out.

Awww, I'm sorry.

I don't know how old you are, but I'm guessing you're old enough to decide what you want to do with your own hair. Under 18 (or whatever adulthood is where you are) is a bit tricky because you live in their house with their rules, but there's still a point where you may need to stand up for yourself and ask why she thinks she has ANY control of what you choose to do with your appearance. You're your own person and you DO have a right to make choices to control how you look. (Not to say that some of those choices won't have consequences -- poor hygiene (and not just WO) will leave you stinky and avoided, looks that are too counter-cultural might make it hard to find a job, etc.) But they're still your choices to make.

Halliday
December 19th, 2014, 01:23 PM
Cold/lukewarm settings won't damage hair at all. I used to blow dry my hair on hot for years and I got a massive amount of damage from it; it completely trashed my hair. Now I'm really averse to blow dryers (and I'm too lazy to use them) so I always airdry. But it's your choice, y'know. Just don't go too hot.

yahirwaO.o
December 19th, 2014, 11:38 PM
Nope no damage with cold warm...... But I did have a very awful accident a long ago.... my hair got cough with the back holes of the evil blow dryer .
That part did got very hot and while I was able to get it out without reaching for scissors, I did notice split ends with the high heat of the back side.

Yeah it was one of those very old school dryers, but since then I cant be bothered to use it even the high quality ones with the back side covered somehow.....

But when I wash my cats, its the only time I use it..... my cats fur are awesome with those low temperatures!!!

lapushka
December 20th, 2014, 05:45 AM
Nope no damage with cold warm...... But I did have a very awful accident a long ago.... my hair got cough with the back holes of the evil blow dryer .
That part did got very hot and while I was able to get it out without reaching for scissors, I did notice split ends with the high heat of the back side.

Oh yes, the back, gotta be mindful of that! :)

evelynmosby
December 20th, 2014, 09:00 PM
The Machiavellian side of me would have reminded her that I will be in charge of her care when she's old! I'm so glad my Mom wasn't so controlling. I was wondering if any of you have used those whole head dryers the one's with the cap? I remember way back when I was in high school in Texas I used to exclusively use the cold setting on my hair dryer and only use wet set for curling. When I look at pictures from back then I'm so envious of my young healthy hair! Along the way I picked up bad habits form living with an array of other girls. But now I'm thinking I want one for deep conditioning and henna color treatments in the dead of New England winter, maybe use cold setting for wet sets. Anyone use one? Have any thoughts or recommendations?

RachelRose
December 23rd, 2014, 07:25 PM
Evelyn I like your way of thinking even if it is a little twisted . Yes remind mom who will take care of her when she's old including her hair muahahaha . I kid I kid :) glad to see so many low/ cold setting blowdryer supporters. I'm trying to give that up as well for the most part to avoid mechanical damage .

LauraLongLocks
December 24th, 2014, 11:29 PM
In winter I use my blowdryer after every wash. I can get it dry in about 15 minutes on cool/warm, especially quick if I section it before blowdrying. I hate wet hair. I want it dry as soon as possible. In summer, I stand in front of a fan and fingercomb through my hair while it dries, or I go outside in the sunshine and breeze. It dries quickly this way.

betterhairday
January 7th, 2015, 04:52 AM

I think it depends on the hair dryer you use. I have a Karmin Salon Series Ultralight Ionic Hair Dryer and having read all the product features I decided it was the right one to go with. My hair was brittle and breaking last year after prolonged radiotherapy. I use Pro Naturals Hair Repair System to restore my hair and decided that I had to upgrade my hair dryer as well. Now I am happy to say that my hair is not brittle, does not break, is very shiny and manageable.