PDA

View Full Version : Shower caddy problem

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2014, 06:00 PM
I figured if anyone would know the answer, you guys would. We bought a nice big shower caddy this morning to put all my gazillion hair products in, in the shower. It is metal but fits in the corner using suction cups. The thing is - we can't get the cups to stick on the shower wall, we have tried using the cups wet and dry - so what are we doing wrong? If we can't get the cups to work we will just have to put screws into the wall and hang it on those, which could be done. But it would be good to get the suction cups to work.....have you used a shower caddy like this?

Madora
December 15th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I think its a question of how much those suction cups will hold. I wonder...would Velcro strips hold any better..or would they be a bust in a humid/wet bathroom? Bottom line, I think you'll have to rethink what your caddy can hold.

foreverKristin
December 15th, 2014, 06:24 PM
I think I might've had to wet the cups first before I put one up years ago. I can remember it took a while to get it to stick. We left it empty for a few days because one of the cups would detach from the wall. After a few reattachments, it stuck for good.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2014, 06:25 PM
Well it wouldn't even hold its own weight empty. There must be something wrong with the way we are trying to make it stick.

jasper
December 15th, 2014, 06:37 PM
It might not be anything you are doing. Suction cups are unreliable at best, and sometimes they just don't work. If the material they are made from hardens or softens over time, they can quit working. I have a shower clock that hangs with suction cups and a soap dish, and every so often, we hear a strange clunk. The clock has survived so far, but every few months it falls, and so does the soap.

Annalouise
December 15th, 2014, 06:38 PM
Your problem is the "gazillion hair products". You shouldn't be using a gazillion hair products.:p

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2014, 06:44 PM
The suction cups stick like glue to every surface except - the wall of the shower:(

Chromis
December 15th, 2014, 06:45 PM
I find those don't stick well to acrylic, they are better on glass or tile. Sometimes even that doesn't help! We put a corner mount in with two small shelves. When I rented I just carried things in and out as needed. In the barracks a lot of girls had shower caddy thingies which might make that a bit easier. You could decant some of the products into smaller bottles perhaps?

mz_butterfly
December 15th, 2014, 06:50 PM
I had that problem. I screwed the unit to the wall with galvanized screws. :D Those suction cups are a joke, I had one for soap and it wouldn't hold a sample. ha. A galvanized screw won't rust and can be removed, it works perfectly.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Our shower walls are old and fibrolite. So it may be that suction cups just won't work for us. However I have the receipt and can take it back for a refund tomorrow. Thanks, all for your replies!

MeowScat
December 15th, 2014, 07:37 PM
Yeah, either refund it, or put it to use somewhere else. Those things are a nightmare. I've tried many suction cup items in my shower, they never stick for long. Maybe get something that hangs from the curtain rod, or shower head .

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2014, 07:50 PM
Good idea. Any recommendations? I want something which will hold quite a few products, ie: four shampoo bottles and two or three deep conditioning treatment tubs.

excentricat
December 15th, 2014, 08:40 PM
With that much stuff, you probably don't want an over the shower head one. Do you have space for a tension caddy, like this http://www.amazon.com/2132HB-Tension-Corner-Rubbed-Bronze/dp/B009GPU2P8/ref=lp_85969011_1_3?s=bedbath&ie=UTF8&qid=1418701058&sr=1-3

Islandgrrl
December 15th, 2014, 09:18 PM
I gave up on the shower caddy thing. I just use a plastic basket that all our stuff fits in. It sits on the shower floor. It has holes on the bottom for draining the water out.

vanillabones
December 15th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I hate the shower caddy that hangs from the shower head. I have one of those and I hate it if anyone knows how to hang one of those be my guest. I'm thinking plastic so it's less heavy and screwing it to the wall but I'd rather not have one. I DO however have a corner caddy with suction cups just like you're talking about. The suction cups on mine are HUGE so that could be why but honestly it's never fallen on me once and for that reason I keep my heaviest/most full products in it. I keep it halfway between floor and ceiling it's very strong and I never wet mine to initially stick it to the wall but I think water from my showering plays a big role in keeping it there. I bought mine at a discount store but maybe for that reason it's a different brand than your every day department stores? I don't know if you shared where you bought yours from but maybe brand plays a key role in this situation.

truepeacenik
December 15th, 2014, 09:46 PM
One issue with the suction cups is the texture of the wall.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 15th, 2014, 11:23 PM
[QUOTE=excentricat;2897057]With that much stuff, you probably don't want an over the shower head one. Do you have space for a tension caddy, like this http://www.amazon.com/2132HB-Tension-Corner-Rubbed-Bronze/dp/B009GPU2P8/ref=lp_85969011_1_3?s=bedbath&ie=UTF8&qid=1418701058&sr=1-3

I would love one of these but our shower has such a low ceiling it wouldn't fit:(

CurlyCap
December 16th, 2014, 01:35 AM
I have a corner shower caddy that I load up with tons of stuff....but it works using a vertical tension pole.

I've been getting those and replacing them whenever I move for almost 12 years. They hold like a rock until you decide to throw them out.

neostrinity
December 16th, 2014, 10:19 AM
I do not have a corner one but the one we bought came with the suction cups also that didn't work so we bought the Command Hooks that are waterproof. Those did the trick and have been holding tight for over a year.

Anje
December 16th, 2014, 10:26 AM
What I'd do is make sure the shower (and the suction cups, while you're at it) is REALLY clean. Give it a scrub with some soap scum remover (I use Soft Scrub, but I don't know what's available in NZ), then wipe everything down with rubbing alcohol. When that's dry, try sticking it.

ETA: Sometimes the slightest bit of oil on the suction cups helps, though. Like, after everything's super clean and dry, touch your face with your finger and run it around the edge of the suction cup. That's enough. Doing that, I've got a suction-cup bird feeder that's stayed put for at least 8 months now in all kinds of weather.

Cania
December 16th, 2014, 11:54 AM
What I'd do is make sure the shower (and the suction cups, while you're at it) is REALLY clean. Give it a scrub with some soap scum remover (I use Soft Scrub, but I don't know what's available in NZ), then wipe everything down with rubbing alcohol. When that's dry, try sticking it.

I was just going to suggest this. I rent so drilling into tile isn't an option, but our shower head is held up with a suction cup. That thing fell off every ten minutes until I gave it all a good clean and air dry.

noludoru
December 16th, 2014, 01:42 PM
Shower isn't clean enough. Water buildup.

Also, don't buy anything heavy with just suction cups. Suction cups and a hook, ok. Suction cups alone, no way. Even the pressure-held tension rods don't work without a perfectly flat surface. I melted mine over a burner, drove a nail through, and nailed it to the ceiling after it was adjusted.

Amapola
December 16th, 2014, 02:36 PM
[QUOTE=excentricat;2897057]With that much stuff, you probably don't want an over the shower head one. Do you have space for a tension caddy, like this http://www.amazon.com/2132HB-Tension-Corner-Rubbed-Bronze/dp/B009GPU2P8/ref=lp_85969011_1_3?s=bedbath&ie=UTF8&qid=1418701058&sr=1-3

I would love one of these but our shower has such a low ceiling it wouldn't fit:(

Yes it will. I've got one, and they come in small pieces of pipe that you have to fit together; just don't use all the pieces. They are made that way so you can fit them in all sorts of spaces; notice it says "UP TO 8'1" " but it will go in less space.

We got ours at Bed, Bath and Beyond; you might try there or a place like that, so that you could see for yourself in person.

Carolyn
December 16th, 2014, 08:01 PM
I second the tension rod shower caddy things. I had 3 of them for my bathtub. They held a lot of products. Measure the height you will need before you go shopping for you. I think mine came from BB & B and one from K Mart. Love them.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 16th, 2014, 08:20 PM
I just went out and bought a pair of caddies with a hook at the top. They only have one decent size shelf each, hence the buying of two. I can happily report that I can get them to hold a LOT of stuff! :) Thank you all for your help.

jacqueline101
December 16th, 2014, 08:39 PM
If you want it to stay permeant try using e6000 glue on the suction cups.