PDA

View Full Version : Length of Baby Hairs?

lacefrost
December 15th, 2014, 02:48 PM
I just measured my baby hairs and they're half a foot long! I wonder if that's typical for all long hairs. How long are your baby hairs?
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/attachment.php?attachmentid=14840&d=1418679976
Note: I have no idea how to rotate photos or make them smaller. My bad

Enrapture
December 15th, 2014, 02:51 PM
What a length you have for baby hairs! Mine never go beyond 1-2 cm unfortunately :(

Madora
December 15th, 2014, 03:17 PM
My baby hairs vary wildly..from about 2 inches down to barely an inch.

lapushka
December 15th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Yes, mine are quite short as well, but they're just wispy, I can't braid them, there's just too little hairs to braid.

Annalouise
December 15th, 2014, 05:39 PM
My babyhairs are the same length. I don't know if they are 'baby hairs' per say, but I have a halo of hairs around the perimeter of my head that are about 6" long.
Since I was using a boar's bristle brush for the last year I figured it was attributed to that. But I also went totally chemical free about 1 year ago and it could also be new growth from that.:)
What are you using on your head for the past year?

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2014, 09:04 PM
My baby hairs are like peach fuzz. I know mine are tiny.

mamaherrera
December 15th, 2014, 09:15 PM
Mine range from .5 inche to 3 inches and I have a large area, that goes beyond just the hairline, where they don't grow more than this! And they're thick, just short

emilynella
December 15th, 2014, 10:02 PM
My baby hairs are also really short from like an inch to a half an inch.... I always get nervous when I see them like my long hairs are breaking off that short but I'm pretty sure that is just me worrying for no reason.... haha :rolleyes:

vanillabones
December 15th, 2014, 10:25 PM
Mine are typically no more than an inch *cry cry*

chillerthanice
December 16th, 2014, 01:41 AM
My baby hairs form natural bangs that hit my cheekbones. Nice and thick, too.

MeowScat
December 16th, 2014, 08:06 AM
My babies are about the same length as yours, but they used to always remain an inch or two before doing the benign neglect thing (wear hair up, no heat, no bleach, etc.). Oh, I also make sure to really slather on the conditioner on my nape baby hairs. Those things love to tangle into a nice little ball if not taken care of. Ugh.

Anje
December 16th, 2014, 12:17 PM
At my temples, they range through a couple inches. When I was young, I had the strangest little natural fringe about 1/2 inch long which eventually disappeared around puberty. All of it seems to be a function of how far from my face the baby hair is.

lajsa
December 17th, 2014, 12:06 AM
Mine are pretty long and pretty thick too. Whenever I put my hair up I always get this halo of fluff after a while. It's kind of like having bangs except fluffier, haha. Irritating when out, though... I put my hair up to NOT get it in my face, damn it! ;)

Charybdis
December 17th, 2014, 05:12 AM
Lajsa, that's what my hair does too. lacefrost, I am totally impressed by your face-framing baby hairs! Way to grow!

Mimha
December 17th, 2014, 06:12 AM
What do you all mean by "baby hair" ?? (sorry, not a natative speaker^^)

It seems to me that there is indeed a confusion between the fine peripheral hair (the "halo" hair^^) and the young normal hair, at the beginning of its growth, which can be found anywhere in the canopy. In the case of young growing hairs, they do not have a specific length : you can find young hairs at all possible stages of growth, as no hair on one's head has the same age and length. What you seem to call "baby hair" sounds more like peripheral hair around the face and on the nape. Those hairs are not "babies", they are just weaker kind of "down hairs" which never will grow as long as the rest of the mane.

Considering what I said above, it's true that there are also baby peripheral hairs (= young peripheral hair) growing among the "halo". Personally, when my halo hair gets thicker, it means that my overall hair is undergoing a thicker regrowth too. Indeed, when I suffered from anemia, my halo almost disappeared. So to sum it up, a thickening of the halo hair can reveal a phase of general regrowth. But it does not mean that the halo hair are baby hairs which will grow long.

Well, I say this as a pure matter of fact, not to contradict anyone in here ! :)

Charybdis
December 17th, 2014, 07:59 AM
Mimha, I'm pretty sure everyone here is talking (in a joking way) about halo hairs. :flower: You're quite right that everyone has these fine hairs around the face that have short terminal lengths. Then there are some of us "lucky" souls who have smaller numbers of short-terminal length hairs scattered around the crown and several inches back from where our hairline starts on our forehead. I have CRAZY frizz and fluff from these halo hairs if I don't stick them down with gel, and it's definitely not just regrowth as I've never had significant changes in my thickness. I also shed a lot of short never-cut hairs (you can tell from the tapered ends), so I think I just have more hair follicles that put out these halo hairs than most people do.

I'm thinking about trying to make updos with mega-frizz at the crown into a fashion trend. :p

Mimha
December 17th, 2014, 12:10 PM
Mimha, I'm pretty sure everyone here is talking (in a joking way) about halo hairs. :flower: (...)
I'm thinking about trying to make updos with mega-frizz at the crown into a fashion trend. :p

OK, Charybdis !^^ So "baby" hair means "halo" hair, lol. By the way, I find some halo hair frizzing around the face quite cute, from my point of view. I am often sad to see that people nowdays seem to chase frizz like hell. I personally find a little bit of frizz very charming. :)

Arete
December 17th, 2014, 06:38 PM
I think my longest baby hairs are around 4-5 inches. Right now I've got a new "baby" grower that's about 1.5" and sticks straight up at the top of the back of my head. I can't get it down, it's like Alfalfa from little rascals xD

Timea
December 17th, 2014, 07:40 PM
mine are the same length as yours. i think they break off from my braids somehow.