PDA

View Full Version : Hawaiian Shampoo

gthlvrmx
December 14th, 2014, 11:08 PM
My best friend is using this and I'm wondering, is it safe to use? Would it cause any hair problems?
Here's a link to it http://www.albabotanica.com/hair/shampoos/colorific-plumeria.html
Here are the ingredients
Aqua (Water), Cocamidopropyl Betaine, Glycerin, Sodium Cocoyl Isethionate, Sodium Lauryl Sulfoacetate, Sodium Chloride, Aleurites Moluccana Seed Oil, Macadamia Ternifolia Seed Oil, Aloe Barbadensis Leaf Juice(1), Ananas Sativus (Pineapple) Fruit Extract(1), Camilla Sinensis Leaf Extract(1), Carica Papaya (Papaya) Fruit Extract(1), Euterpe Oleracea Fruit Extract, Plumeria Acutifolia Flower Extract, Zingiber Officinale (Ginger) Root Extract(1) , Babassu Oil Polyglyceryl-4 Esters, Citric Acid, Guar Hydroxypropyltrimonium Chloride, Hydrolyzed Soy Protein, Panthenol, Sodium PCA, Sodium Sulfate, Tocopheryl Acetate, Alcohol(1), Benzoic Acid, Benzyl Alcohol, Dehydroacetic Acid, Phenoxyethanol, Potassium Sorbate, Sodium Benzoate, Benzyl Benzoate, Benzyl Salicylate, Citronellol, Hexyl Cinnamal, Hydroxyisohexyl 3-Cyclohexene Carboxaldehyde, Butylphenyl Methylpropional, Fragrance (Parfum).

(1) Certified Organic Ingredient

Islandgrrl
December 14th, 2014, 11:18 PM
It seems like a fairly decent product.

Baby_doll
December 14th, 2014, 11:26 PM
For the most part it's okay. But it does have sls and a sulfate in it, which aren't really good for most people. But it seems okay

vega
December 15th, 2014, 12:54 AM
Looks fine I was sulphate free for five years ,gone back to sulphates last month and my hair condition is the best soft smooth and clean and stopp Ed shedding, don't think sulphates are bad, it just depends on the person

Marika
December 15th, 2014, 10:24 AM
I quite like the Alba Botanica products. The leave-in conditioner is probably the best cone-free leave-in I've ever used. At the moment I'm using the cocoa butter shampoo and conditioner and they both work just fine.

Larki
December 15th, 2014, 10:29 AM
It does NOT contain SLS.

http://slsfree.net/sodium-lauryl-sulfoacetate/

Looks like a perfectly fine shampoo!

meteor
December 15th, 2014, 10:47 AM
My best friend is using this and I'm wondering, is it safe to use?

To be honest, I haven't actually seen any shampoos that could be deemed "unsafe" for general public to use. We do have regulations for products sold on the market, and they don't allow toxic products.
However, if you are allergic to anything in this product (for example, allergic to something in the fragrance or to one of the botanicals), then it's obviously unsafe for you.

The cleansers in this shampoo suggest that it's probably a mild, non-stripping shampoo.

The sodium chloride (at #5 after water) is drying to hair and skin, but many people like its "volumizing" effect regardless. What annoys me is that their website claims that it doesn't contain salts, yet it's right there on the ingredients list. ("For truly terrific color week after week, take a permanent vacation from the color-stripping sulfates and drying salts in ordinary shampoos. (http://www.albabotanica.com/hair/shampoos/colorific-plumeria.html)")
I also don't like seeing alcohol there: it's drying and irritating to skin and drying to hair. However, it's so down the list that it's probably not a major concern.

gthlvrmx
December 15th, 2014, 11:45 AM
Thanks for your response guys!