PDA

View Full Version : How to get big curls without rollers?

aforestfae
December 14th, 2014, 11:24 AM
I used velcro rollers overnight (only way to make any curls work for me) and loved the look but getting them out of my hair was way too difficult, I don't want to cause any more damage with velcro.
What's an alternative way to get the big hair with loose curls overnight?
Cocoon curls don't give the same effect, the only similar thing I know of is sock buns but my scalp feels weird when I do them and more often than not they don't work properly.

Halliday
December 14th, 2014, 11:26 AM
Headband curls work really well. Or pin curls, rope braids, tying your hair in two Princess Leia buns on the side of your head.

wilderwein
December 14th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Sock bun curls ;)

foreverKristin
December 14th, 2014, 01:10 PM
What about large sponge rollers?

aforestfae
December 14th, 2014, 01:15 PM
What about large sponge rollers?

I can't get them to stay in, I've tried to use them like rag curls (tie them on with fabric instead of velcro or the plastic clip bit) and they fell out and tried with claw clips but they left kinks in the hair :shrug:

meteor
December 14th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I second buns: sock buns, paranda/scarf-based buns and cinnabuns work very well, especially if you start with clean, slightly damp or very lightly oiled hair.

Also, there are jumbo magnetic rollers you could experiment with. I've even heard of using aluminum cans (juice cans, for example) for very large, voluminous curls.

By the way, and I'm in real awe of your hair's ability to accept velcro rollers - they cause scary tangles for many hair types.

Madora
December 14th, 2014, 01:19 PM
I can't get them to stay in, I've tried to use them like rag curls (tie them on with fabric instead of velcro or the plastic clip bit) and they fell out and tried with claw clips but they left kinks in the hair :shrug:

Sponge rollers stay put if you tie elastic bands around them to hold them in place. If you have a beauty supply store in your town, look for large rollers w/o the Velcro. I've heard of people putting their hair up in toilet paper rollers and even beer cans. Can't imagine how they managed to sleep with beer cans on their scalp! If you can't find rollers that are large enough, you might try going to a craft store and finding large pieces of foam rubber, then cutting them down to size, and using string or rubber bands to keep them in place.

Caraid♫
December 14th, 2014, 03:04 PM
I do very large pin curls sometimes and it usually works! I split my very slightly damp hair into 6 sections, roll each section up into a circle, and pin the circles to my head with several bobby pins. It's very easy to sleep on! In the morning I just have to brush it out a little and then I have big curls.

FallingDarkness
December 14th, 2014, 03:09 PM
A braided cinnabun on damp hair turns my hair curly, maybe that'll work for you?

I personally like the unpredictability of cocoon curls. Plus it makes my hair seem monstrously thick lol.