PDA

View Full Version : Hair Manageability: Finally Check! Now, Hair Density?

daredevil14
December 14th, 2014, 08:57 AM
So after 4 years and a half, I am finally beginning to understand how to take care of my wavy/curly hair. I can say that I found the right conditioner (which is a rinse off but I leave it in), combined with coconut oil, I get defined curls the next day (ok a wet look first but dries the next day).

Now, my curls tend to be the thin and not the thick ones, this is due to the fact that I don't feel like I have TOO much hair on my head. I checked all signs of male hair loss signs, nothing is obvious, my shedding ranges from low to normal (and rarely high).

My questions:

1) How can I distinguish between the fact that my hair density is normal as it is (due to genes, hormones, etc...) and if I have an unnatural hair loss condition?

2) Is there a natural way to increase the density of hair?

Background notes: I used to take a medication that affects hair earlier this year, I do remember feeling my hair different after starting to take it, now it's like 5 months since I stopped it. Currently, I am dealing with some major stress (a chronic one actually). I don't lose hair in normal places such as pillow, floor... what is shedded is always when combing my hair (hand and/or comb). I don't smoke, I sleep very well and I don't use any heat tools. I have been eating very well for a few months now as well.

Thanks!

Halliday
December 14th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I guess that if your hair WAS naturally thick but now is slightly less then it would be easy to distinguish. But also if you lose a lot of hair although it doesn't look like much on your head. I lose loooads of hair but my hair is thick and it never shows the loss.
Shedding when you comb your hair is actually normal - it's normal to lose 100-200 hairs a day. You could take Hair Skin and Nails supplements to increase thickness, or try shampoos and COs like L'Oreal Fibreology Thickening range (it really works).

Madora
December 14th, 2014, 12:45 PM
So after 4 years and a half, I am finally beginning to understand how to take care of my wavy/curly hair. I can say that I found the right conditioner (which is a rinse off but I leave it in), combined with coconut oil, I get defined curls the next day (ok a wet look first but dries the next day).

Now, my curls tend to be the thin and not the thick ones, this is due to the fact that I don't feel like I have TOO much hair on my head. I checked all signs of male hair loss signs, nothing is obvious, my shedding ranges from low to normal (and rarely high).

My questions:

1) How can I distinguish between the fact that my hair density is normal as it is (due to genes, hormones, etc...) and if I have an unnatural hair loss condition?

Background notes: I used to take a medication that affects hair earlier this year, I do remember feeling my hair different after starting to take it, now it's like 5 months since I stopped it. Currently, I am dealing with some major stress (a chronic one actually). I don't lose hair in normal places such as pillow, floor... what is shedded is always when combing my hair (hand and/or comb). I don't smoke, I sleep very well and I don't use any heat tools. I have been eating very well for a few months now as well.

Thanks!

One way to check if you were losing too much hair (although 80 to 100 strands per day is normal) is to do a daily envelope test (as recommended by famed Czar of Long Hair, Dr. George Michael): Take 30 envelopes, date each one. Each day, collect all your fallen strands and count them. Put them in the envelope for that day, and mark the outside of the envelope in the upper right hand corner. Continue thusly for 30 days. At the end of the month, add up your totals and see if there is more (or less) fallen hairs in any particular week.

Also, since you were taking meds, your hair might not have had a full opportunity to bounce back to its former glory. Stress, too, can really mess with your follicles.

Last thing to consider: HOW are you using your wide tooth comb to detangle your curly hair? That is half the battle right there, if you want to minimize mechanical damage. If you're not using that comb properly, you have to change your methods when detangling. Detangling takes time, but done slowly and in pencil thin sections, you help minimize mechanical damage and lessen fallout.

daredevil14
December 14th, 2014, 12:53 PM
One way to check if you were losing too much hair (although 80 to 100 strands per day is normal) is to do a daily envelope test (as recommended by famed Czar of Long Hair, Dr. George Michael): Take 30 envelopes, date each one. Each day, collect all your fallen strands and count them. Put them in the envelope for that day, and mark the outside of the envelope in the upper right hand corner. Continue thusly for 30 days. At the end of the month, add up your totals and see if there is more (or less) fallen hairs in any particular week.

Also, since you were taking meds, your hair might not have had a full opportunity to bounce back to its former glory. Stress, too, can really mess with your follicles.

Last thing to consider: HOW are you using your wide tooth comb to detangle your curly hair? That is half the battle right there, if you want to minimize mechanical damage. If you're not using that comb properly, you have to change your methods when detangling. Detangling takes time, but done slowly and in pencil thin sections, you help minimize mechanical damage and lessen fallout.

Thank you both for the answer.

Madora,
As I have mentioned, my shedding is obviously normal. (And even low sometimes!).

As for my question, I am struggling to find an answer for it. Again, how can I distinguish between the fact that my hair density is normal as it is (due to genes, hormones, etc...) and if I have an unnatural hair loss condition? Can you naturally have a head of NOT THAT MUCH hair? Is their a way to encourage growth from new area of the scalp?

Beborani
December 14th, 2014, 01:14 PM
That is probably not easy to check for a layperson. What you can do if you feel upto it is part your hair in a place that uses some body marker--eyebrow, nose etc so you can find this part again in 6 months. Put a tape measure against this part and take a picture with as high resolution camera as you can manage. Download it on your computer/tablet, enlarge the image and measure the number of hair follicles or hair strands (not the same thing as you usually have more than one hair per follicle) per one cm--this could be the width of of your screen enlarged so you get a closeup look and accurate measurement. Repeat every 3 to 6 months depending on your level of comfort and see if there is any change. If there is none you have nothing to worry about. If you do see a loss go to a doctor as no one here can diagnose the problem.

Edited to add: hair density ranges from 100--250 or so strands per sq cm. so 1cm linear measurement will likely give you 10-16 strands or so, assuming uniform density, but any number is relevant to you only in relative sense. One piece of advice. Dont get obsessive about this--take a picture, count and put it away for a few months--the pictorial evidence will always remain with you.

jeanniet
December 14th, 2014, 03:29 PM
One note: your hair is definitely curly, not wavy at all. If I'm remembering right, it's 3b. If you were taking a medication that can affect hair, wait at least six months to a year after discontinuing to give your hair a chance to get back to normal. Try not to worry about thickness too much until then.

As far as when you shed, what you're describing is completely normal for curlies. Because of the curls, shed hair tends to stay on the head until combed out, so you'll see more when you comb and not that many on the pillow, etc.

To keep your curls from breaking up too much, avoid combing when hair is dry and only detangle in the shower. As much as possible, don't separate clumps if you can avoid it--the more you break up the clumps, the smaller the curls will be (and the more frizz, too).

Panth
December 15th, 2014, 12:35 PM
My questions:

1) Treat your hair as perfectly and gently as possible, whilst maintaining the best possible health. Do so for a number of years. If your ponytail circumference gets thicker, you had previously been suffering from either damage and/or hair loss. This is the only absolute way to figure it out (other than the opposite - by noticing your ponytail circumference reduce due to ill health or poor treatment).

Of course, certain things are often related to hair loss. E.g. deficiency/imbalance of iron, B12, vitamin D, thyroid hormones, sex hormones. Certain medications. Scalp conditions, including seborrheic dermatitis. Major stress (either emotional or physical). Dieting. Etc. If you have been, for example, malnourished for many years, it would be reasonable to assume that you are not at your maximal possible hair thickness.

2) Other than being as healthy as possible, treating any and all deficiencies and illnesses as much as possible and avoiding all things that might damage your hair...? No. There's nothing you can do. It's genetic.

lapushka
December 15th, 2014, 03:01 PM
Have you ever measured the circumference of your ponytail? If not. Do it. Then remeasure after 4 to 6 months or so. Keep track of your density this way. At least you'll know where you're at.

Madora
December 15th, 2014, 03:14 PM
Is their a way to encourage growth from new area of the scalp?

You might want to try daily gentle scalp massage, in the bent at the waist position. Be sure to use your fingerpads, not fingertips. Also, for optimum benefits, do the massaging in the morning, when you get up.

Beborani
December 15th, 2014, 05:57 PM
While ponytail measurement seems like a good idea it is not a very good tool to measure hair loss unless you have lost a lot of hair at which point you will know anyway. There is day to day variations of upto half an inch to more depending on starting thickness and curly hair makes it even more difficult to get consistent reading. Besides this, if there is shed and immediate regrowth you will never catch the regrowth until after a year or so causing unnecessary distress.