PDA

View Full Version : Are there any natural ways to help dye fade faster?

Leslieslsa
December 12th, 2014, 06:20 PM
I used to have my hair dyed black. I dyed it every few months for three years. I stopped a year and a half ago and the picture below shows that it HAS faded somewhat. But what else can I do to help speed it up? Anything? Or just time? http://i1042.photobucket.com/albums/b429/Leslieslsa/copperblond_zps1ea68aff.jpg (http://s1042.photobucket.com/user/Leslieslsa/media/copperblond_zps1ea68aff.jpg.html)

Sarahlabyrinth
December 12th, 2014, 06:33 PM
I think oiling it helps. Oiling, and time and patience.

ETA: Loving the colour of your hair!!!

meteor
December 12th, 2014, 06:43 PM
The two biggest foes of dyes are water and UV rays.
I can't recommend washing hair more often than you need to and expose your hair to a lot of sun (neither is good for hair), but they do fade dye more quickly.
Just give it time, and it will fade. If you really can't wait, you can talk to a colorist about safe options of removing hair dye.

jacqueline101
December 12th, 2014, 06:51 PM
I was going to say color oops or honey to lighten it. Sun exposure will fade it but you're in the winter season so the honey would be the best.

Begemot
December 13th, 2014, 03:25 AM
Honey lightening worked for me. Heard that baking soda and olive oil could help too. Leslieslsa your hair looks beautiful, I really like the color the way it is now!

Edelweiss
December 13th, 2014, 04:34 AM
Coconut milk and green clay worked for me, my hair was also dyed black and it really helped

lapushka
December 13th, 2014, 10:39 AM
And let's not forget harsh sulfate shampoos. They are not nice to dye either.

wilderwein
December 13th, 2014, 10:48 AM
Vitamin C hair mask, and some people say that baby shampoos help too

LadyCelestina
December 13th, 2014, 12:22 PM
I don't want to sound pessimistic but the last bits of black AND red dye usually just don't budge.They will fade,they will fade quickly,they will fade a lot,but the last bit is just,forever.

browneyedsusan
December 13th, 2014, 12:41 PM
From my coloring days: dish soap --the kind you put in the sink, not the kind you put into a machine-- and hot water. That was during my pixie-headed glory, and before I knew about TLHC.
That's all I've got. My pixies required so many haircuts, I never dealt with dye very long even if I wanted to!

JellyBene
December 13th, 2014, 02:10 PM
Wow you've already got some really good progress! When I was in beauty school one of my friends accidentally dyed my hair black (what a nightmare) and I can tell you the two things that worked the best for me are Pert shampoo, thought its pretty harsh. Heavy oilings with EVOO. But the thing that helped more than anything else was color oops color remover. It's not bleach, it used sulfur to somehow shring dye molecules. It works incredibly but smells, well, like sulfur.

Leslieslsa
December 13th, 2014, 07:47 PM
Yeah I kind of figured that I will not be able to get all of it out, but maybe some more. I have also heard that dandruff shampoo works but I haven't tried it. I do use sulfate shampoo.

jacqueline101
December 14th, 2014, 10:40 AM
What about sulfur in a jar in the ethnic care aisle? If sulfur does it I'd try a sulfur hair conditioner.

nakima
December 23rd, 2014, 05:43 PM
my hair always seems to fade a little after useing a clarifying shampoo and also a vinegar rinse not a lot but noticeable to me.