PDA

View Full Version : Am I doomed to knots and tangles?

leilan
December 12th, 2014, 11:13 AM
So here's the deal. I have straight, fine, BSL-length hair. I've been looking forward so much to having long hair again, since it has been relatively short since 2010. But the problem is this: ever since I hit CBL, I have been dealing with tangles in my hair. It will get tangled anywhere from my ears down to my ends. I'm currently using Yes to Carrots shampoo and conditioner, with Kinky Curly Knot Today as a detangler/leave-in. I have a satin pillowcase, but I haven't been braiding my hair at night because the tangles make it so difficult to braid. I know I have some splits, but I don't think they are the root of the problem.

But here's the weird thing. I have had my hair long my whole life, most recently in 2010. That was pre-LHC, and I was using Pantene Pro-V shampoo/conditioner. Up until now, I have NEVER had this problem with tangles. Could it be as simple as the products I'm using?

I was planning on trying out Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, but if it will make these tangles go away, I'll go back to Pantene!

Thoughts?

lapushka
December 12th, 2014, 11:15 AM
You need a good conditioner, or a deep conditioner, something that detangles well - preferably (but not necessarily) with silicones. The longer it gets, the more prone you are to tangling. Yes it can be as simple as the products you are using. Try going back to the Pantene, it's a good standard for lots of people.

leilan
December 12th, 2014, 11:19 AM
I wondered if it might be as simple as the lack of silicones in my conditioner. I know some people don't like cones; would I still be able to stretch washes while using them?

georgia_peach
December 12th, 2014, 11:21 AM
Hi, leilan. I do think that Pantene may have given your hair more *slip* which can mean fewer tangles and knots. I am super prone to knots, too, and keep my hair up all the time. That seems to help.

leilan
December 12th, 2014, 12:12 PM
Hi georgia_peach! The Kinky Curly Knot Today definitely has a ton of slip, but it dissipates after a few hours. I wonder if cones would stick around for longer. I still would like to use an organic conditioner, if possible. Do you know of any to recommend?

I'm working on wearing my hair up more, but my neck and ears get so cold! Plus, I just love wearing my long hair down.

Panth
December 12th, 2014, 12:25 PM
Definitely try something 'coney. Pantene is generally absolutley full of 'cones and some people's hair just loves that, especially at longer lengths. Don't buy into the myth that 'cones are going to ruin your hair - they certainly aren't for everyone, but there are many people for whom they work very well. If you're having tangle problems, you may be one of them.

meteor
December 12th, 2014, 01:53 PM
Another vote for reintroducing cones!

Also, keep your hair moisturized with emollients, humectants and occlusives and maybe use a humidifier if the air is very dry where you live.

jeanniet
December 12th, 2014, 02:12 PM
I agree with going back to cones if they were working for you before. KCKT is a great detangler, but doesn't seem to be the best leave in for a lot of people.

Madora
December 12th, 2014, 02:19 PM
So here's the deal. I have straight, fine, BSL-length hair. I've been looking forward so much to having long hair again, since it has been relatively short since 2010. But the problem is this: ever since I hit CBL, I have been dealing with tangles in my hair. It will get tangled anywhere from my ears down to my ends. I'm currently using Yes to Carrots shampoo and conditioner, with Kinky Curly Knot Today as a detangler/leave-in. I have a satin pillowcase, but I haven't been braiding my hair at night because the tangles make it so difficult to braid. I know I have some splits, but I don't think they are the root of the problem.

But here's the weird thing. I have had my hair long my whole life, most recently in 2010. That was pre-LHC, and I was using Pantene Pro-V shampoo/conditioner. Up until now, I have NEVER had this problem with tangles. Could it be as simple as the products I'm using?

I was planning on trying out Chagrin Valley shampoo bars, but if it will make these tangles go away, I'll go back to Pantene!

Thoughts?

Sounds to me its the products you are using that are causing the tangling issues. The more buildup on your hair, the greater the probability of trouble with tangles.

So, to return to "Square One" with your hair, try clarifying it with a clarifying shampoo, such as Neutrogena Anti-Residue Clarifying shampoo. This product strips your hair of every last vestige of buildup, leaving it feeling and looking like hay, which is exactly what it is meant to do. After rinsing out the Neutrogena, follow immediately with a deep conditioning treatment. The dct restores your hair to its former self (before buildup).

Your next task is to find a gentle shampoo and a gentle conditioner (not a two in one product). You might try diluting both with a little bit of water.

Try and avoid putting anything else on your hair for another two weeks. This allows you enough time to assess the effectiveness (or not) of the shampoo and conditioner on your mane.

In the meantime, head those tangles off at the pass by wearing your hair UP...and also detangling that hair BEFORE you put it up. Half the battle of having beautiful, healthy, long hair is how you detangle it. You can use the richest shampoos and conditioners, put tons of product on it, but if you don't detangle the right way, and use your wide tooth comb correctly, everything else you do for your hair is wasted effort.

Detangling tips (based on 40+ years of experience):
it is best to use a wide tooth comb for detangling. As for the type (wood or horn) that depends. You cannot get wood wet w/o hurting the comb. If you drop a horn comb, there is a chance of it getting hurt (chipped or broken entirely).
The detangling process is one of gentle steps:
1) finger comb your hair first. Do it slowly
2) Take SMALL, THIN section of hair. About pinkie size. Start at the ends and slowly comb up the strands, little by little, until you reach the roots.
3) Use a small one piece clip (or a scrunchie) to keep the detangled hair separate from the undetangled hair.
4) Take another SMALL, THIN section of hair and do as before
5) Work you way around your head in this fashion. (Actually, it is easier to do if you first make a center part and divide your hair in two sections. Detangle all the hair on the right and confine it. Repeat for hair on the left.
Now you may think this is way too much effort and time consuming. If you want to have beautiful, healthy hair, you must TAKE THE TIME. Small, fine sections let you do a more thorough "search" of the strands.
6) Don't have the grip of death on your comb! you are not fighting your hair! Hold your comb gently and lightly, as if you were holding a living bird in your hand and you were afraid to crush it.

7) When you are detangling, go SLOWLY! If you feel a tangle, STOP IMMEDIATELY! Isolate the tangle and take it apart with your fingers (hold the tangle horizontally and take it apart with your fingers). If you hold the tangle vertically, it just tightens the tangle and makes it about impossible to save

How to detangle in the shower:

As far as detangling in the shower I always part my hair in two sections before getting it wet..and try and keep those 2 sectioms separate throughout the entire process. Not always successful, but I've found that the more you can control your hair, the less the chance for tangles.

As for the actual detangling itself, just be sure your hair is full of conditioner. Oh, you might want to fill the tub/shower with warm/hot water so you're not standing there freezing your tootsies off! Detangling properly takes time!

Now, working on one side of the hair at a time, take a SMALL, pencil sized thin section of your hair, and gently work up it, from the ends to the scalp.

Take another section of hair and do the same.

To keep the detangled sections free from the undetangled sections, tie with a scrunchie.
Continue to detangle until half of the hair has been detangled. Band all the detangled hair together with a scrunchie.

ARG
December 12th, 2014, 03:10 PM
I definitely agree that cones will help add the extra slip you need. I was also wondering if you wear collared shirts and how your hair is done on a daily basis.

Your hair rubbing against the fabric of a collared shirt may cause the tangles if you wear your hair down (which is where cones will help keep the tangling down), so if cones aren't for you maybe keeping your hair in a protective style will reduce the amount of tangles and be an easier solution than changing your routine.

Nadine <3
December 12th, 2014, 03:13 PM
I would try clarifying and going back to cones. If your hair likes them, there's nothing wrong with using them.

velorutionista
December 12th, 2014, 03:25 PM
I'd also recommend keeping a small comb handy so if you notice your hair is starting to tangle up, you can detangle (assuming dry detangling works for you) before it becomes a huge tangle. Something I also noticed more as my hair got longer, wind can cause really nasty snarls for me, so if I'm out in the wind, I make sure to contain my hair as best I can!

MsPharaohMoan
December 12th, 2014, 03:40 PM
Yeah, before changing anything I'd clarify and see if that helps. I like the Yes to... line, but maybe their product builds up on your hair fast?

eta: whenever I see a thread like this - tangly, grippy ends - my gut reaction? CLARIFY!

leilan
December 12th, 2014, 04:27 PM
Wow- thanks for all the replies!

First off, I have been clarifying. I use Joico K Pak clarifying shampoo, work the lather in all over, including my length, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinsed off. I did this most recently a few days ago. The one difference I noticed was that my hair did seem to have a bit more of a wave to it, but same amount of tangliness.

As far as moisturizing, I will do a deep treatment with my conditioner for about a half hour after clarifying. Other than that, I don't really do much. I haven't found a deep treatment that I want to try yet. My hair does get weighed down easily, but sometimes I feel like my hair needs moisture...

I do finger detangle, and I try to be really gentle with it. One thing I've found that works great in a pinch is my boar bristle brush. It actually detangles really well. But I know I need to be more careful with it...

leilan
December 12th, 2014, 04:34 PM
ARG - I don't wear collared shirts really. Usually t-shirts and a sweatshirt if it's cold. At work, I put my hair up in a claw clip or a bun, but when I'm at home, I really like to wear it down. That's the whole reason I want my hair long; I love wearing it down!

I am getting some hair sticks, because I know I need to keep it up more. Part of the reason I don't is because the tangles make it hard to put up!

Madora
December 12th, 2014, 06:18 PM
I do finger detangle, and I try to be really gentle with it. One thing I've found that works great in a pinch is my boar bristle brush. It actually detangles really well. But I know I need to be more careful with it...

If you love your hair and want to do what's best for it, please, use a wide tooth comb to detangle. Consider: a brush has scads of bristles, a wide tooth comb has a moderate number of tines. What do you think is going to be kinder to your hair when you go through it? You can load your hair with expensive products galore, but it will all for nothing if your hair is suffering from mechanical damage due to improper detangling. Detangling properly is not hard to do but it does take time. Patience is worth its weight in gold...if you want beautiful, healthy, long hair.

sourgrl
December 12th, 2014, 06:46 PM
I agree with adding cones. I've noticed an increase in knots, especially fairy knots, at longer lengths. I've worked cones into my routine (the last "c" in a WCC routine) and it has helped tremendously. The only down fall is that cones weigh down my waves. I'm willing to live with a looser wave pattern knowing I don't have to cut out fairy knots.

LauraLongLocks
December 12th, 2014, 07:34 PM
Hair left down always tangles, but hair safely put up is protected from tangling.

Madora
December 12th, 2014, 07:36 PM
Hair left down always tangles, but hair safely put up is protected from tangling.

^^^^ Should be etched in platinum in every long hair wannabe's mirror!

winship2
December 12th, 2014, 07:53 PM
Definitely clarify first. Cones may work well for you , as they do for many. I have no philosophical bias here, but just want to observe that Pantene 2-in-1 made me shed, so keep an eye out.

I have found that a pre-shampoo detangle and light oiling with olive oil helps me. Then I wash in very very very dilute shampoo (two small "blurps" in half a gallon of water), rinse, I DO NOT CONDITION, but follow with a light application of olive oil. I detangle often, with a wide-tooth comb, then a medium-tooth, then a fine-tooth, and only then do I BBB. I truly do think detangling with a BBB is a very bad idea, but as always YMMV.

This is not a discouragement of cones, just an idea of another possibility. Amazing how different things can work, or fail!

LauraLongLocks
December 13th, 2014, 10:36 AM
^^^^ Should be etched in platinum in every long hair wannabe's mirror!

<blush> Thank you. I am just sharing my personal experience. I know if I wear my hair down it will be tangled. And if it gets tangled, I must carefully comb and use my fingers to pull apart tangles gently. If I don't want to spend so much time on my hair, it is easier to just wear it up. On wash days, I know how long it takes me to get through the whole process and so I make sure I have enough time do work slowly and be patient before I even start.

leilan
December 13th, 2014, 09:23 PM
So last night I sat down and finger detangled in small pieces, like Madora outlined. Oh man did it feel good afterwards! I am glad I took the time to do it that way. Using my BBB is quick, but I see what you mean about how the density of bristles would be rough on hair. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the thought of wearing my hair up more.

I used my sister's Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner... haven't decided yet on the results, though it did weigh my hair down more.

So here's my question: where to dangles actually come from, and why can some people with, say, waist-length hair wear it down and not have any problems?

leilan
December 13th, 2014, 09:27 PM
Haha whoops *tangles, not dangles.

LauraLongLocks
December 13th, 2014, 09:30 PM
My tangles come from my hair being hair. It's just the nature of the beast. I don't know how anyone can have waist length hair and not have tangles.

If your hair has the proper amount of slip to it, that can reduce tangling. Mostly, I just prefer to wear my hair up so I don't have to worry about tangles so much.

Pierre
December 14th, 2014, 07:50 AM
I don't know the product, or many products for that matter, but "Kinky-Curly" implies that it's for people with hair curlier than mine, not 1b's.

I keep my hair up all the time, except when I'm detangling in the shower, after which I put it up without braiding and braid it when it's dry. I sleep with it up (I don't have to redo my hair when going to sleep, as my usual style is a bun on each side). And I still find and snip a few tangles or knots every time I braid. But if I leave it down, I get lots more tangles.

As to detangling in the shower, I do that, but it may not be the best way for you because your hairtype is different.

MeowScat
December 14th, 2014, 08:02 AM
When was the last time you clarified? Even if you're using cone-free condish, you might still have build-up from other products. Give yourself a good deep conditioning treatment afterwards. A few S&D sessions might help, too, and wear your hair up! It can be a pain in the caboose to find the right conditioner.

I have fine hair and I've been using a cone free condish for almost 2 decades. It's Biolage Conditioning Balm, but it's rather pricey, so now I get the Sally Generic version and I like it even better. It's a thick condish but it rinses out beautifully. I know our heidi w. used to use the Biolage on her knee-length hair.

If not, try different kinds of cones. Good luck!

Halliday
December 14th, 2014, 08:12 AM
I vote cones too because a lot of people with fine straight hair need them for slip and banishing fairy knots.

Halliday
December 14th, 2014, 08:17 AM
So here's my question: where to dangles actually come from, and why can some people with, say, waist-length hair wear it down and not have any problems?

My hair is nearing waist now and doesn't tangle at all when I wear it down; I think people with thicker, curlier and slightly coarser hair (not F, basically) do have less issues with tangling. Maybe because curls, wurls and waves clump together so aren't separated strands that rub against each other and tangle. When there are wurls and waves then the hair 'locks' together, making for less tangles.

Larki
December 14th, 2014, 08:45 AM
My hair is nearing waist now and doesn't tangle at all when I wear it down; I think people with thicker, curlier and slightly coarser hair (not F, basically) do have less issues with tangling. Maybe because curls, wurls and waves clump together so aren't separated strands that rub against each other and tangle. When there are wurls and waves then the hair 'locks' together, making for less tangles.

Hm, I don't know, I have straight, fine hip-length hair and it doesn't tangle like ever. I have to not comb it for days and leave it down to make it tangle. I think it's just because it's slippery.

Madora
December 14th, 2014, 08:55 AM
So last night I sat down and finger detangled in small pieces, like Madora outlined. Oh man did it feel good afterwards! I am glad I took the time to do it that way. Using my BBB is quick, but I see what you mean about how the density of bristles would be rough on hair. I'm getting more and more comfortable with the thought of wearing my hair up more.

I used my sister's Herbal Essences Hello Hydration conditioner... haven't decided yet on the results, though it did weigh my hair down more.

Glad you had such a pleasant experience detangling, leilan. As for your query: where do tangles come from? I think its a combination of hair just getting mixed up with other hair, and forming snarls/mats/tangles. Since not all the hair is the same length, there's ample opportunity for knots to form. Folks who use certain types of products on their hair (with more slip) evade the tangle problem (but the trade off is buildup). I'd imagine the only people who have less trouble with tangles are those with pin straight hair.

Also, another sticky wicket when it comes to tangles (and my bte noire - even though I brush every day with my bbb) is LINT. For sure, I don't wear lint producing clothes, but do have 8 cats. I've never had any problem with cat hair getting in my locks since they are always up and braided, but LINT...ARGHHHH!!! Just about 99% of any tangles I get are due to lint. Very tiny bits of lint. I'm not the world's greatest housekeeper, so that could very well play into my lint problem. I wish they'd invent a powerful but SILENT vacuum cleaner!

lapushka
December 14th, 2014, 09:43 AM
Yes, my hair is F as well, doesn't get combed or brushed for a week, and I don't get tangles. I think it's from using the right products. I truly believe that, because if there's a change there, it reflects in my hair and I can get the odd tangle. Product is *key*!

Not Lynn Merely
December 14th, 2014, 10:56 AM
A hundred times yes to all Madora's advice! I share the experience of others who say that keeping a little oil in the hair helps prevent tangles. My hair used to get terribly snarled before I came here and started using oils.

Also, what has helped me currently is a really long, thorough S&D. A couple weeks ago I was realizing that my hair was tangling a lot more than normal. However, after removing a lot of bad splits, my hair is back to normal! I think the splits tend to catch on each other (along with the pernicious lint that Madora mentions, *shudder*) and work to entrap healthy, non-split hairs.

LauraLongLocks
December 14th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Glad you had such a pleasant experience detangling, leilan. As for your query: where do tangles come from? I think its a combination of hair just getting mixed up with other hair, and forming snarls/mats/tangles. Since not all the hair is the same length, there's ample opportunity for knots to form. Folks who use certain types of products on their hair (with more slip) evade the tangle problem (but the trade off is buildup). I'd imagine the only people who have less trouble with tangles are those with pin straight hair.

Also, another sticky wicket when it comes to tangles (and my bte noire - even though I brush every day with my bbb) is LINT. For sure, I don't wear lint producing clothes, but do have 8 cats. I've never had any problem with cat hair getting in my locks since they are always up and braided, but LINT...ARGHHHH!!! Just about 99% of any tangles I get are due to lint. Very tiny bits of lint. I'm not the world's greatest housekeeper, so that could very well play into my lint problem. I wish they'd invent a powerful but SILENT vacuum cleaner!

Make that pin straight and coarse, I think. My fine strands get tangled quite easily. I blow-dry to 1a if I want it that straight, but 1c is usually what I have. The fine strands get tangled so easily though. Breathe on them and they are tangled. I am thinking it is because the strands have so little weight of their own they are easily moved about. Since really getting regular with my BBB I am finding fewer tangles than I used to find. It could be a combination of factors... probably lint being first and foremost. The BBB is great at removing lint (that's why my brush must be washed every week). The BBB also brings sebum down the length and that might be helping greatly.

Madora, I have 4 cats, a dog and 8 children living at home right now, plus livestock. The lint, dustballs, and fur are inevitable.

dancingrain91
December 14th, 2014, 11:14 AM
Hm, I don't know, I have straight, fine hip-length hair and it doesn't tangle like ever. I have to not comb it for days and leave it down to make it tangle. I think it's just because it's slippery.

Now I have straight, slippery F hair that tangles if the wind barely blows. I think slip helps because the more damage I remove the less tangles I have but I must comb my hair every day.

To the OP: I have 1c/F/ii hair that is MBL and cones are a necessity in my life. I wash with Organix shampoo and use either Loreal Mega Moisture or Neutrogena Triple Moisture and I'm a big fan of HE Hello Hydration and Pantene Ice Shine as the first C in a WCC routine. I fingercomb and wear my hair up a lot and thoroughly detangle at night following Madora's method. Some hair is just more tangly than others.

I do know that Harpgal, another fine haired memeber with knee length hair is a huge fan of the Giovanni line if you would like to try that. Weak acid rinses also can be a huge help over time.

meteor
December 14th, 2014, 12:27 PM
Yes, my hair is F as well, doesn't get combed or brushed for a week, and I don't get tangles. I think it's from using the right products. I truly believe that, because if there's a change there, it reflects in my hair and I can get the odd tangle. Product is *key*!

Lapushka, I think you are right that the right kind of product makes a huge difference in terms of tangles.

Unfortunately, I still can't predict when I'll get that silky smooth, tangle-free effect and when my hair will be really difficult to detangle. :hmm:

How do you guys go figure out which products help with tangles and which hinder? Is it pure trial and error or is there any system to this? For example, do you shop curly or smoothing products or look for specific silicones or something?

lapushka
December 14th, 2014, 03:33 PM
Lapushka, I think you are right that the right kind of product makes a huge difference in terms of tangles.

Unfortunately, I still can't predict when I'll get that silky smooth, tangle-free effect and when my hair will be really difficult to detangle. :hmm:

How do you guys go figure out which products help with tangles and which hinder? Is it pure trial and error or is there any system to this? For example, do you shop curly or smoothing products or look for specific silicones or something?

Well, I WCC, so use 2 conditioners. I just use whatever conditioner as my first one, and my consistent product is the Herbal Essences Hello Hydration. It's my second conditioner, and it is *the* best detangler I've found - does contain silicones in case you're not a fan. As long as that's in my routine, it's all good. Well, usually, because now I'm using the Inecto coconut conditioner as my first conditioner and... it's not a hit. It's slightly harder to comb out than usual after a wash. I think the Inecto is my least favorite conditioner ever. Worked on shorter hair, just not on this length. I'm thinking it's because it doesn't contain silicones. I have the worst luck with those products!

jacqueline101
December 14th, 2014, 03:45 PM
I'd clarify,use the Pantene products,and braid it as you liked doing in the past. Then I'd wear that braid up or see my blog on making a hair bag and wear it down inside the bag. But either way wear it up or protected.

jeanniet
December 14th, 2014, 04:04 PM

Same here. Well, about every three days anyway. I think the key is products and approach. Don't try to force your hair into something that isn't appropriate for its type. I had tangles constantly when I was trying to comb and brush my hair to "tame" it. Curly hair doesn't want to be tamed, and trying to make it be something it's not is a constant headache. Now I don't bother with combing it outside of the shower, and it never tangles at all--it might look tangled, but it's not.

lapushka
December 14th, 2014, 04:14 PM
Same here. Well, about every three days anyway. I think the key is products and approach. Don't try to force your hair into something that isn't appropriate for its type. I had tangles constantly when I was trying to comb and brush my hair to "tame" it. Curly hair doesn't want to be tamed, and trying to make it be something it's not is a constant headache. Now I don't bother with combing it outside of the shower, and it never tangles at all--it might look tangled, but it's not.

Oh yes, the right routine as well! Products *and* routine! I definitely agree!!!

leilan
December 15th, 2014, 11:00 AM
Finding the right products and routine for my hair has been my goal all along! I think, if I can find a conditioner with silicones that doesn't weigh down my hair or make it look greasy, I will be doing really well. I have been wearing my hair up during the day and in a braid at night as per your suggestions, and it definitely has resulted in fewer tangles.

Those of you who use cones, how often do you find you have to wash your hair? Is it more often than without cones?

As far as using oils, I have yet to find an oil that doesn't make my hair look super, well, oily. My hair doesn't soak it up much, so almost everything ends up sitting on the surface of the hair- not attractive. I do know that it makes my hair way less tangle-prone, but I'm not sure the trade-off is worth it. Any recommendations for super light oils I could try? I've tried the most common- coconut, olive, sweet almond, jojoba. One that I've looked into trying is camellia oil, because it's said to be very light and non-greasy.

meteor
December 15th, 2014, 11:22 AM
Finding the right products and routine for my hair has been my goal all along! I think, if I can find a conditioner with silicones that doesn't weigh down my hair or make it look greasy, I will be doing really well. I have been wearing my hair up during the day and in a braid at night as per your suggestions, and it definitely has resulted in fewer tangles.

Those of you who use cones, how often do you find you have to wash your hair? Is it more often than without cones?

My hair is less poofy, more sleek with cones, but I don't wash hair more often because of that, I just accept the more sleek look. And I wear hair up all the time anyway, so it doesn't matter much.

As far as using oils, I have yet to find an oil that doesn't make my hair look super, well, oily. My hair doesn't soak it up much, so almost everything ends up sitting on the surface of the hair- not attractive. I do know that it makes my hair way less tangle-prone, but I'm not sure the trade-off is worth it. Any recommendations for super light oils I could try? I've tried the most common- coconut, olive, sweet almond, jojoba. One that I've looked into trying is camellia oil, because it's said to be very light and non-greasy.

I'd recommend trying mineral oil or some light oil like grapeseed or safflower. Or use silicones, especially the water-soluble and PEG- ones that resist fast build-up.

I think if hair doesn't soak up oils well, it's not a bad sign at all: it probably means that you have undamaged hair with low porosity. The less damaged the hair, the less it need oils and other conditioning products.

Madora
December 15th, 2014, 11:27 AM
I'm a big fan of mineral oil for conditioning and detangling. It is very lightweight, leaves no after scent, helps tame frizzies, is a great moisturizer, and best of all, is dead cheap!

Mineral Oil is best used on hair that has been clarified first, but can be used on dry hair as well, or on damp hair (not wet). Mineral oil should contain only the MO plus a fragrance. Additives make it less effective. It also washes out easily in your next shampoo.

The following are interesting threads containing info on mineral oil, written by former LHC member KTANI. She worked in the hair industry and researched all facts.

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...safety-of.html

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...with-what.html (deals with clarifying how tos)

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...-and-skin.html (mo as moisturizer)

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...y-of-oils.html (Understanding drying capacities of oil)

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...inks-2012.html (Mineral oil safety 2012)

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...date-2012.html (mineral and dandruff 2012)

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...-moisture.html (regarding buildup and using mo to combat it)
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...amage-are.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...-oil-baby.html (all about MO aka baby oil)

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...ir-damage.html

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...lour-fade.html

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...-pre-wash.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...il-topics.html

http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...l-oil-has.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...neral-oil.html
http://ktanihairsense.blogspot.com/2...d-to-work.html

Halliday
December 15th, 2014, 11:53 AM
I second the mineral oil vote, but also sesame seed oil (makes my hair so soft and has nourished my ends back to silkiness) and argan oil.

cathair
December 15th, 2014, 05:01 PM
Wow- thanks for all the replies!

First off, I have been clarifying. I use Joico K Pak clarifying shampoo, work the lather in all over, including my length, and let it sit for 5-10 minutes, then rinsed off. I did this most recently a few days ago. The one difference I noticed was that my hair did seem to have a bit more of a wave to it, but same amount of tangliness.

As far as moisturizing, I will do a deep treatment with my conditioner for about a half hour after clarifying. Other than that, I don't really do much. I haven't found a deep treatment that I want to try yet. My hair does get weighed down easily, but sometimes I feel like my hair needs moisture...

Just curious, because you mentioned clarifying more than once, how often are you clarifying? I thought I could get away with using clarifying shampoo as shampoo for two or three washes when I ran out of shampoo a while ago. It wasn't good. I ended up with a very dry horrifically tangley nest. I only need it once every few months. I also don't need to let clarifying shampoo sit for that long.

lapushka
December 15th, 2014, 05:15 PM

I used to wash my scalp with a cone-laden shampoo when I was a teen, and needed to wash every 2 days (never did, but needed to). I've always needed to wash roughly 2 to 3 times a week, but somehow cones make that a little worse. If the shampoo isn't too bad on cones then it's still all right, but chock-full? No way. I prefer to use conefree sulfate shampoos for that reason and that reason only. I have been able to stretch to a weekly wash with this routine (gets oily by day 4/5ish).

jacqueline101
December 15th, 2014, 08:56 PM

I wash weekly and I use cones. I have fine straight tangle prone hair. I can't wear my hair down. As far as camellia oil goes I've never tried it. I don't use oils anymore they darken my hair so I use a serum. The serum has cones.

leilan
December 16th, 2014, 09:42 PM
Mineral oil, huh? Hmmm. I've never tried it, mostly because of its association with petroleum... But I'm nothing if not open-minded. I'll look into it!

I bought a bottle of clarifying shampoo around October, and I've only used it three or four times. Unfortunately, my tangling issues began much before clarifying.

allierat
December 17th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I haven't used cones for about a year now, but in all the long time I did use them I never had a problem stretching washes wile using them as long as I didn't use anything with cones near the root of my hair so you should be just fine.

Beborani
December 17th, 2014, 09:40 AM
Have you tried chelating? You don't need any special shampoo for this. A pinch of citric acid in water should do. Pour it over your hair after wash/condition, rinse. Pour again--rinse and last pour--dilute it more and leave it in if you wish or rinse out if it makes you uncomfortable. This is my goto fix for rough hair.

meteor
December 17th, 2014, 12:26 PM
Mineral oil, huh? Hmmm. I've never tried it, mostly because of its association with petroleum... But I'm nothing if not open-minded. I'll look into it!

I bought a bottle of clarifying shampoo around October, and I've only used it three or four times. Unfortunately, my tangling issues began much before clarifying.

Yes, don't be afraid of mineral oil. It's very heavily researched and is an excellent, safe occlusive.
Dermatologists recommend it even more than plant-based oils, because plant-based oils (much as we love them!) are capable of clogging pores, feeding Malassezia fungus (seborrheic dermatitis) or trigerring an allergic reaction, but almost nobody reacts badly to mineral oil. It's hard to find a better barrier-repairing, one-ingredient moisturizer than simple mineral oil. Look for 100% cosmetic grade mineral oil, avoid fragrance if you can.

leilan
December 18th, 2014, 09:41 PM
Beborani, I have not tried chelating, but I do like the sound of fixing roughness! I will add that to my list of things to try.

How do you stretch washes? No matter what I do, my scalp gets greasy by day two. I'll use dry shampoo, but I hate the residue from it so I avoid it when possible. I also get sebum buildup that clumps into these hard little balls sometimes. One of my bad habits is to scratch my scalp and pull them out with my nails.

In the meantime, I have kind of a weird question: what do you guys do with your hair in the shower on the days you don't wash it? Do you get it wet and just seal it when you get out? Do you put it up in a shower cap? Inquiring minds want to know.

LauraLongLocks
December 18th, 2014, 10:12 PM
leilan, I wear a shower cap on days I am not washing my hair.

Your hair is straight, so maybe you'll be a good candidate for using a BBB to help you stretch washes. It helps to distribute oils down the length and cleans the lint and dust out of your scalp and hair. I'm fond of the Spornette Deville Boar Bristle Brush available on Amazon.

Also, you might try using a different shampoo or maybe using a cleansing conditioner in place of shampoo in order to get more time between washes. Sometimes if you find the right product, it can make all the difference for you.

Madora
December 19th, 2014, 08:04 AM
Leilan, stretching washes was a matter of time, for me. I went from once a week, to once every two weeks, to once a month...but the every two weeks to once a month took about 3 to 4 months to accomplish. What helped most was that I brushed my hair every day with my pure boar bristle brush. Recently, I've found that using a clean bbb every time I brushed my hair helps to stretch my washes even further. The daily brushing helped keep my hair free of lint, removed dead hair cells, and also stimulated my follicles. I have a slightly dry scalp so never had any issues with excess sebum...and of course I've been brushing for years. I also cover my entire head with scarves if I'm doing something around the house that is messy...like cleaning kitty litter boxes or vacuuming. I also wear a scarf on my head when I go outdoors.

yahirwaO.o
December 19th, 2014, 11:42 PM
Daily brushing to run the natural oils of your hair is the best.... But If tangles are so bad, maybe a tiny trim may help with that. Sometimes ends act weird and tangles often happen there.

leilan
December 25th, 2014, 08:48 PM
I was looking into the Spornette Deville BBB a couple months ago, but it never became a priority, so I still haven't gotten one. I will get one soon, though, and try brushing daily with a clean brush. (What is the best way to clean them? Just soap and water?) I'm going to get a trim soon, and use that as a starting point to be really, really careful with my hair!

What do you think of trying the Chagrin Valley Shampoo bars for stretching washes? I've heard good things about them, including nice volume, fewer tangles and longer time between washes. I want to try them, and Japanese camellia oil as a leave-in to see if that helps at all.

Madora
December 25th, 2014, 09:41 PM
leilan, here are a few misc. tips about washing your bbb etc:
For best results, keep your brush (and comb) squeaky clean. Wash both weekly (preferably more) with a nail brush or toothbrush in warm soapy water. Rinse well with cold water, shake off water. Fan the bristles with your fingers to remove as much water as possible. Dry all wood parts on the brush. Place brush with bristles side down, on a lint free cloth, out of the way of direct sunlight. Store it in an airtight box to keep lint/dust from getting on it.

Your bbb should be flat on the bottom, not round! Why? Per Dr. George Michael in his "George Michael's Secrets for Beautiful Hair" (1981) "...because you brush your hair with a flip of the wrist, when you use a round brush this tangles long hair. So, if your hair is anything over 10 inches long, use a brush with a flat or elongated base and hold it with your thumb at the base to avoid a flipping motion, even though this flip of the wrist is okay for shorter hair."

Benefits of regular, daily boar bristle brushing (in the bent position):
Distributes the hair's natural sebum down the strands
Exercises your hair follicles, which is necessary for good hair growth
Removes dead hair cells/lint/dust from your hair
Over time will leave your hair glossy and incredibly soft

How often to brush: - Every day...in the morning..when you get up. Per Dr. George Michael, this is the optimum time to brush.

Try and be consistent – do the same number of strokes per day.

Brush gently and always detangle with a wide tooth comb BEFORE brushing.

Try to wear something other than nylon or rayon when brushing as both fabrics can cause more static.

Never, EVER, toss/fling/throw your hair over your head when you are finished brushing. You want to keep the hair as free of tangles as possible.

NEVER, EVER, BRUSH YOUR HAIR WHEN IT IS WET OR DAMP!

Keep your brush free of shed hairs. Clean it out after each brushing session!

Brushing is good for your hair, provided you use a natural boar bristle brush and the proper technique. (However, it is not recommend for curlies since the structure of their hair does not lend itself to brushing).

PS For daily bbb washing I use a dab of Neutrogena hand soap, applied to a nail brush, then the nail brush applied to the bbb and my comb.
For weekly washing I use a tiny bit of my GM Pink Crme Shampoo diluted in a tall plastic glass. The brush is immersed and sits in the soapy solution for 7 minutes tops, then is rinsed off with cool running water, then dried as outlined above.

LauraLongLocks
December 25th, 2014, 11:19 PM
Listen to Madora. She has a beautiful mane.

I just started using a BBB about three weeks ago and I LOVE :crush: it. I am noticing positive changes in the softness of my hair, and fewer tangles. I am also finding that my hair does not require as much oil added to the ends because my natural sebum is being distributed by the brush. I am also noticing far fewer shed hairs, and a crop of baby hairs coming up. I have become an enthusiastic BBB convert.

leilan
February 10th, 2015, 11:50 AM
I figure it's about time for an update post...

I bought a Spornette Deville BBB in January, and I do like it. I brush with it in the evenings before bed, about 25 strokes on each side. (Side note- what's the best way to clean it without damaging the wood base? I don't want to soak it and have the wood warp...) What I've noticed is that the sebum doesn't seem to get all the way down my length, no matter how much I brush. I end up with the top feeling almost helmet-like, and the midlength to ends get very static-y. It is great for getting my hair to go the right direction for updos, and after brushing it is so soft and tangle-free. Oh, and I do finger detangle and use a wide tooth comb before brushing with it!

I also got some mineral oil. It's the Johnson&Johnson baby oil, so unfortunately it does have fragrance. The ones I could find without fragrance were 16oz though, and I didn't want to get that much in case it didn't work. When my hair is damp after I shower, I put three drops in my hand and focus on oiling the very ends of my hair, working up a little ways up my length with the leftovers. Occasionally I'll do this on dry hair as well. It seems to work the same either way. It seems to help a little, but sadly it wasn't magical like it has been for some folks.

After doing these two things for a while, I began noticing that when I got my hair wet in the shower, it was still very easy to separate and didn't tangle nearly as much as it usually does when wet. But after I put on the shampoo, it went back to being very tangly. As a result, I've been CWCing, and pulling my length over my shoulder when I rinse out the shampoo so the suds aren't rinsing down through the length. This helps a little, but it is still more tangly when I do the second conditioner.

I've been using Ogx (formerly Organix) Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner as my second conditioner. I honestly haven't noticed a lick of difference from using this one with cones versus my Yes to Carrots condish.

The other thing I tried a few times was to finish my shower with a cold water rinse. All this seemed to do was make for a very unpleasant end to a warm shower, and it also seemed to make the mineral oil absorb less efficiently.

I did get some hair forks, and have been really good about wearing my hair up most of the time. If I'm at work, it is always up, but I do let it down at home.

In the past two weeks, I seem to be experiencing a slight increase in tangles! :( Maybe a description would help... I'll find a tangle when running my fingers through a section of hair. I'll "scissor" my fingers down the length to separate the tangle. Somewhere between 2" from the end and the tips, there will be a knot. I undo this by gently pulling out individual hairs until the knot separates. When I look at the hairs that were caught in the knot, I usually find one or two with a white dot on it. All of the hairs will be bent at almost a 90 degree angle.

So.. Ideas on what to try next? I clarify monthly, so I don't think that's the solution. When I use up my current shampoo, I'm still planning on trying Chagrin Valley Shampoo bars. I'm also thinking about trying cassia. (Blonde hair, so no henna for me!) Someone here recommended a citric acid rinse, which I'm also willing to try. It seems to me that I need to find out how to stop those little white dots from forming! Once they're there, I know I have to snip them out, but if I could stop them forming in the first place, I think I'd be on my way to solving this problem.

Oh gosh, long post! Sorry... Thanks for reading through!

leilan
February 10th, 2015, 11:51 AM
I figure it's about time for an update post...

I bought a Spornette Deville BBB in January, and I do like it. I brush with it in the evenings before bed, about 25 strokes on each side. (Side note- what's the best way to clean it without damaging the wood base? I don't want to soak it and have the wood warp...) What I've noticed is that the sebum doesn't seem to get all the way down my length, no matter how much I brush. I end up with the top feeling almost helmet-like, and the midlength to ends get very static-y. It is great for getting my hair to go the right direction for updos, and after brushing it is so soft and tangle-free. Oh, and I do finger detangle and use a wide tooth comb before brushing with it!

I also got some mineral oil. It's the Johnson&Johnson baby oil, so unfortunately it does have fragrance. The ones I could find without fragrance were 16oz though, and I didn't want to get that much in case it didn't work. When my hair is damp after I shower, I put three drops in my hand and focus on oiling the very ends of my hair, working up a little ways up my length with the leftovers. Occasionally I'll do this on dry hair as well. It seems to work the same either way. It seems to help a little, but sadly it wasn't magical like it has been for some folks.

After doing these two things for a while, I began noticing that when I got my hair wet in the shower, it was still very easy to separate and didn't tangle nearly as much as it usually does when wet. But after I put on the shampoo, it went back to being very tangly. As a result, I've been CWCing, and pulling my length over my shoulder when I rinse out the shampoo so the suds aren't rinsing down through the length. This helps a little, but it is still more tangly when I do the second conditioner.

I've been using Ogx (formerly Organix) Nourishing Coconut Milk Conditioner as my second conditioner. I honestly haven't noticed a lick of difference from using this one with cones versus my Yes to Carrots condish.

The other thing I tried a few times was to finish my shower with a cold water rinse. All this seemed to do was make for a very unpleasant end to a warm shower, and it also seemed to make the mineral oil absorb less efficiently.

I did get some hair forks, and have been really good about wearing my hair up most of the time. If I'm at work, it is always up, but I do let it down at home.

In the past two weeks, I seem to be experiencing a slight increase in tangles! :( Maybe a description would help... I'll find a tangle when running my fingers through a section of hair. I'll "scissor" my fingers down the length to separate the tangle. Somewhere between 2" from the end and the tips, there will be a knot. I undo this by gently pulling out individual hairs until the knot separates. When I look at the hairs that were caught in the knot, I usually find one or two with a white dot on it. All of the hairs will be bent at almost a 90 degree angle.

So.. Ideas on what to try next? I clarify monthly, so I don't think that's the solution. When I use up my current shampoo, I'm still planning on trying Chagrin Valley Shampoo bars. I'm also thinking about trying cassia. (Blonde hair, so no henna for me!) Someone here recommended a citric acid rinse, which I'm also willing to try. It seems to me that I need to find out how to stop those little white dots from forming! Once they're there, I know I have to snip them out, but if I could stop them forming in the first place, I think I'd be on my way to solving this problem.

Oh gosh, long post! Sorry... Thanks for reading through!

endlessly
February 10th, 2015, 01:05 PM
My guess is that the culprit might be because you switched products. Pantene conditioner tends to use a tremendous amount of silicone which is responsible for the 'slip' it gives hair, resulting in fewer tangles. I'm not sure about the "Yes" brand, but I'm guessing that might be why.

Also, I'd recommend braiding it at night or wearing some other protective hairstyle since I know from personal experience that it helps cut down on the tangles. Otherwise, try a deep conditioning treatment as well and you might notice some positive results. Hopefully, it gets sorted out for you! Best of luck!

leilan
February 10th, 2015, 02:12 PM
Thanks for the suggestions, endlessly!

I also suspect that not having the right product could be the problem. Perhaps I'll try Pantene again.

I do braid it at night, or at least put it in a low, loose pony. I have a silk pillowcase as well. Do you have any recommendations on a good deep conditioning treatment to try?

burny
February 10th, 2015, 06:32 PM
my hair is normally mildly tangled.. my process was finger comb only, wash ever 3-5weeks, and use nothing between washes.
I was in England for a month or so, and after washing my hair there twice, my hair was HORRIBLY knotted.. the problem surely being the water, and a different conditioner.
when I got back home, it took 2washes before it was finally back to normal. not sure how much the problem was "bad water" vs "too much conditioner". but anyway, I learned a lot more since then.

the thing I have found recently, that helps a lot with dealing with tangles, is putting a small amount of oil in hair every 2-5days(I use probably about 3/4 of a teaspoon per month, with long super thick hair). I'd highly recommend putting some oil/conditioner in hair from time to time, if you wash rarely.

Saige
February 10th, 2015, 09:20 PM
I agree with burny. My hair has always been very tangly and the only thing that helps me is oil. It gives my hair some slip. I've also got quite hard water where I live and I've noticed less tangles since I bought a filter.

Lauraes
February 10th, 2015, 09:54 PM
My hair tangles super easy, and if I go longer than 24 hours without washing it, it becomes a frizzy, knotted, greasy, unhappy mess. with no chance of styling whatsoever :( After 3 days it's unbearable. I think I have the type of hair that actually need to be washed daily... If I wash it every day and take care of it with coconut/olive oil, and different leave in products, it's presentable and doesn't tangle as much as what it otherwise would. I wish I had wavy/curly hair sometimes. At least then tangles wouldn't be as obvious as they are with stick-straight hair.

Hotrox
February 11th, 2015, 12:36 AM
Just as a FYI, my hair reacts badly to the Organix conditioners, they make my non tangly hair difficult to comb. If I were you I'd go back to products that worked well for you in the past and then assess where you are after that.

leilan
February 11th, 2015, 01:59 PM
burny and Saige, I do use mineral oil after I wash, and it does help a tad... But I haven't found an oil yet that both provides slip to prevent tangles, and doesn't make me look like a greaseball. Even though I only use a few drops, it makes my hair look very piece-y and coated. As soon as my finances allow, I do plan on trying camellia oil, which is supposedly super light, and a shower filter.

Lauraes, straight hair can be really difficult! I wish mine had more of a wave to it, as well. I'm just trying to make the best with what I have, though!

The Organix conditioner didn't seem to make my hair much more tangly than usual, although I suppose that could be the culprit of my recent increase in snarls... It certainly hasn't seemed to improve anything, though. The problem about going back to a product that used to work is that... I don't really have one! I was using Pantene about six years ago, long before I found LHC. It seemed to work for me then, but I don't know if that is just because I had no clue what healthy, manageable hair actually was! Since then, I've been playing the trial and error game... trying to find something that works for me. It couldn't hurt to try, though. (Side question- what do you do with hair products that you tried and didn't work? Just toss them?)

lapushka
February 11th, 2015, 02:05 PM
Normally, with double conditioning my hair isn't tangly, well not particularly so, but now with the rinse-out oil method added, it is simply awesome. It detangles a little better before a wash as well (seeing as my hair isn't detangled the whole entire week). My hair is washed weekly, BTW.

leilan
February 11th, 2015, 02:41 PM
Lapushka, do you have a link for the rinse-out oil method? It seems pretty self explanatory, but I'd like to know more about it.

I do think that once I do a really thorough S&D, I will be in a better place for dealing with tangles.

lapushka
February 11th, 2015, 03:06 PM
Lapushka, do you have a link for the rinse-out oil method? It seems pretty self explanatory, but I'd like to know more about it.

Here you go!
http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191

meteor
February 11th, 2015, 03:08 PM
^ Sorry, I'm not lapushka, but the ongoing thread on oil rinsing is here :) : http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=129191
Also, check out YouTube for "oil rinse" and you'll find some great videos there! ;)
And by the way, I absolutely agree with lapushka that it's very helpful for detangling very tangle-prone hair.

ETA: Oops, sorry for cross-posting with lapushka! :oops:

lapushka
February 11th, 2015, 03:28 PM
ETA: Oops, sorry for cross-posting with lapushka! :oops:

:lol: No worries, meteor!

leilan
February 11th, 2015, 10:15 PM
Thank you for the link, lapushka and meteor! It sounds like an interesting idea. I'll certainly give it a try! It sounds like doing the oil rinse in the shower locks in much more moisture than doing it after you get out. I think my hair needs moisture, but honestly I'm still stumped on whether it needs moisture or protein... I just want it to be silky.

vega
February 12th, 2015, 03:55 AM
Lelam what kind of brush do you use, my hair was extremely knotty I've been using wet brush , have no more tAngles and my hair of curls is combed in under 5 minutes your a not doomed I promise

lapushka
February 12th, 2015, 05:35 AM
Thank you for the link, lapushka and meteor! It sounds like an interesting idea. I'll certainly give it a try! It sounds like doing the oil rinse in the shower locks in much more moisture than doing it after you get out. I think my hair needs moisture, but honestly I'm still stumped on whether it needs moisture or protein... I just want it to be silky.

Didn't you use henna regularly, leinan? Or am I mixing you up with someone else on here? :hmm: If so, then I think you need to balance out the protein that henna brings with a lot more moisture.

leilan
February 12th, 2015, 01:54 PM
I've been using a boar bristle brush after detangling with a wide tooth comb, vega. And thank you for the reassurance, haha! It's easy to get disheartened sometimes, but I do think I will figure out what my hair needs eventually.

lapushka, I have actually never done henna before. I've been toying with the idea of trying cassia, but haven't done it yet. What is the best way to add more moisture, anyway?

meteor
February 12th, 2015, 03:09 PM
What is the best way to add more moisture, anyway?

Moisturizers provide one or more of the following benefits:
- emollient (softness, lubrication);
- humectant (attracting and holding onto water) (glycerin, honey, aloe vera, hydrolyzed proteins - as film-forming humectants, etc);
- occlusive (preventing water from evaporating too fast) (oils, silicones, waxes, butters, etc).

The best moisturizer for you will have that perfect balance for you of ingredients with these benefits. This is very individual and can definitely change depending on relative humidity / dew points.
I'd recommend an SMT+oil treatment as a moisture booster. I'd also look into all sorts of oiling (pre-poo, leave-in, oil rinses, adding oil to conditioner...) and into silicone serums. They tend to really help with most dryness problems.

lapushka
February 12th, 2015, 03:21 PM
lapushka, I have actually never done henna before. I've been toying with the idea of trying cassia, but haven't done it yet. What is the best way to add more moisture, anyway?

Oops, my bad, got you mixed up with someone else then! :o

I slap on the conditioner if I want moisture, and when I say slap on, I mean slap on! :lol: I double condition after shampoo and after the rinse-out oil method even. After that I do LOC (which is another moisture boost). Links are in my sig as to my washing methods.

LauraLongLocks
February 12th, 2015, 04:06 PM
If the Organix Coconut milk conditioner has protein in it, that could be causing your hair to be a little more brittle and grabby than it would be otherwise. I've never tried shampoo bars, so I have no advice there, but I'm really liking my latest find in shampoos, which is Shea Moisture Moisture Retention Shampoo (if you want to try another shampoo). I have also become a fan of overnight pre-poo oiling. I'm finding that I prefer olive oil or a mix of olive oil and coconut oil right now. I might try straight coconut again once it gets warmer here. It tends to solidify in this cold weather. I'm shampooing twice a week right now, with a pre-poo oil every time. I aim to do a deep conditioning treatment after my weekend shampooing. Double conditioning after shampooing (WCC or CWCC) whether I do a deep conditioning afterwards or not, also makes it a lot more manageable. I do a sort of LOC before detangling/combing wet. I use leave-in water-based coney conditioner, jojoba oil (winter) or argan oil (summer), then a teeny bit of a coney serum similar to silk drops. After my nightly brushing, if my ends feel a bit velcro-y (and usually they don't), I will lightly spritz with a small amount of water, and mix coconut oil with raw shea butter and apply it to my ends. My block of shea butter is going to last a lifetime and beyond. If I get back into swimming regularly, I'm going to try it as a pre-pool application underneath my swim cap.

As a disclaimer, I had knee surgery today and I'm totally doped up on Norco, so if I didn't make any sense in this post, please forgive me.