PDA

View Full Version : Time for a cut

GoblinTart
December 12th, 2014, 03:58 AM
I've been neglecting my poor hair. I've made it past BSL, but not quite to waist. My ends are broken and split beyond belief. Husband has been pushing me to go get a haircut, but i put it off cause i don't want to spend the money, and hairdressers always seem to want to chop my hair, or add in 80 billion layers that require tons of styling and equipment I don't have. Plus it makes my ends look thin and straggly. I'm trying to get rid of the thin and straggly, not make it worse.

I have a friend who is a cosmetologist. She needed a babysitter for a full day. Offered to pay me whatever i wanted if i would watch her kids. I was like whatever, your kids are great, just bring them over. No, she insisted on paying. ok...i could use a haircut. Deal.

Babysitting is done, she comes to get kiddos, and wants to know how i want my hair cut. Just a trim, full on style it fancy? I told her maybe 3 or 4 inches. I just want this damage gone. Her eyes got wide and she went, i don't know if i can do that. I'm having to chase her down now. She knows i love my long hair. She likes my long hair. She doesn't want to chop my hair too short. I have to chase her down now. We've agreed on 2 inches max, and i can come see her every month to maintain length and growth while taking off more damage. I'm hoping to sweet talk her into the chop though since my damage travels so fast.

ladies and gentlemen, i have found my hairdresser.

fiğrildi
December 12th, 2014, 05:19 AM
Well, good for you! That sounds like a great deal :thumbsup:

Have you ever heard of Feye's method? At your length, you can easily selftrim your hair at home, with sharp professional scissors. You can find tutorials on youtube.

Wildcat Diva
December 12th, 2014, 05:56 AM
I would be really surprised if you needed trimming every month. If you are looking to grow, I would try waiting at least three months between tiny trims. How bad really is your damage?

GoblinTart
December 12th, 2014, 12:06 PM
I've done Feye's method a few times and always manage cutting crooked. Don't ask how I manage it.

My damage is pretty bad. Every time I comb my hair, no matter how gentle, I have bits in the sink from broken ends. Splits go up as far as 3.5 inches about. It snarls and snags which just makes it worse. I've been really bad the last year with taking care of it. I'm really just wanting all the damage chopped off so I can have a clean slate.

GoblinTart
December 15th, 2014, 04:00 AM
It's cut. Friend ended up taking off about 5 inches to even the back with my bangs that haven't caught up with the rest of my hair and gave me a very slight U hemline. So much gone! I was past BSL, now I'm just a little past APL. But oh my gosh, my hair feels fantastic. The ends are thick again. I can run my fingers through it. It's fantastic.

She's going to give me microtrims regularly to help keep my ends thick and catch damage before it travels. It might be a bit much, but I'm willing to sacrifice a tiny bit of growth to keep my hair feeling and looking like this.

GoblinTart
December 15th, 2014, 04:01 AM
Double posted

Freija
December 15th, 2014, 04:31 AM
I'm so glad that you're happy! Sometimes all you can do is take off the damage and call it a fresh start - plenty here have cut to a pixie before for that reason (me included) - and as hard as it can be, it is sometimes very much worth it. : )

I just had... I'm not actually sure how much... cut off, at least a good couple of inches, plus lots of tiny layers cut in to the bottom five inches in order to remove and hide the three horrid, choppy layers that I did have. I can't believe how much better I look and feel, either. : )

GoblinTart
December 15th, 2014, 04:47 AM
I am happy. Sad about the length, but so happy with my hair health again. I started my growth journey at about this length, but with damage and it's been so frustrating seeing how horrid my ends were and not being able to keep up with damage.

It just looks full and thick and my hair is so soft and not tangly. I actually pulled out my silk scarf to sleep in again. I'm definitely going to my friend regularly now for micro trims. She's so awesome and knows I avoid hairdresser because they always want to take off too much.

I'm so happy with my hair now. Sad about my length, but gosh, I had no idea my hair could be so pretty again.

lapushka
December 15th, 2014, 08:16 AM
Sounds like your friend is a keeper! :) I'm glad you're happy with your cut. And it's true, sometimes you just need to bite that bullet and get rid of the damage in one fell swoop. I once did so as well. Did it all. Did microtrims. Did bigger chops. I've been here a while. ;) :lol:

HintOfMint
December 15th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Good for you! Sounds like you have a great friend and a gem of a hairdresser.

I've also done a major chop (near waist to above shoulder) to get rid of damage in one fell swoop. Like you, I'm not a fan of dragging out the process if there's damage that needs to be gone.

GoblinTart
December 16th, 2014, 05:21 AM
She is wonderful! I'm now dreading when one of us finds out we have to move. (military families) And i think biting the bullet was the best thing for my hair. I've tried trimming and microtrimming on my own, but it never did much good since i tend to somehow cut crooked everytime, and I was never able to get off enough damage to do any good. Being able to hand my hair over to her (she got over the whole chopping a bunch off fear) and letting her work her magic was wonderful. And i had no idea i actually had as much hair as i do. The thin ends made it seem so...thin.

I'm still bummed about the length though. I can't figure out how to braid it!

MeowScat
December 16th, 2014, 07:36 AM
Congrats on your new cut, I'm happy you like it! Before and after pics? Pretty please? :)

Now you need to keep those healthy ends tucked into updo's...a peacock twist looks fabulous with APL-ish hair. Since you're missing your length, why not give your hair a deep conditioning treatment, like an SMT and buy yourself a new hair toy that you've been wanting. Maybe some Spin Pins to hold a low Cinnabun?

I've done the grow to my butt and chop to my shoulders routine a few times. I have a piece of advice I wish I had given myself all those times I wanted longer hair....put the scissors down. You first agreed on two inches max, then you cut five inches. Now you're planning on micro trimming fairly often and you mention a few times how much you miss your length. If you don't cut your hair for, say, six months and you wear it up everyday, I think you'd be very happy with your progress. If you can go longer, even better. I haven't trimmed my hair in 2 years and I can't believe the length I've gained.

Have fun with your new healthy mane! :disco:

GoblinTart
December 16th, 2014, 03:57 PM
Congrats on your new cut, I'm happy you like it! Before and after pics? Pretty please? :)

Now you need to keep those healthy ends tucked into updo's...a peacock twist looks fabulous with APL-ish hair. Since you're missing your length, why not give your hair a deep conditioning treatment, like an SMT and buy yourself a new hair toy that you've been wanting. Maybe some Spin Pins to hold a low Cinnabun?

I've done the grow to my butt and chop to my shoulders routine a few times. I have a piece of advice I wish I had given myself all those times I wanted longer hair....put the scissors down. You first agreed on two inches max, then you cut five inches. Now you're planning on micro trimming fairly often and you mention a few times how much you miss your length. If you don't cut your hair for, say, six months and you wear it up everyday, I think you'd be very happy with your progress. If you can go longer, even better. I haven't trimmed my hair in 2 years and I can't believe the length I've gained.

Have fun with your new healthy mane! :disco:

I don't have before pics! I can get an after though. And I know I sound flip floppy. I was thinking 3 or 4 inches, and when we did the cut, I asked her to even it with my shortest bits. Turned out to be 5 inches while wet. I was just like, "do it." And my hair BOUNCED up to APL. I'll be assessing my hair at trim time. I get major taper, but that might have been from damage. If anything I want to stay on top of any damage, and keep my hemline thick. I miss my length, but oh my hair feels so nice and more than makes up for it.

Definitely updos from now on. I've managed to get it in a bun. I did a castor oil treatment last night. It's just nice being able to have healthy hair again. I don't know if i'll get any toys anytime soon, but i manged to get some silk scrunchies.