PDA

View Full Version : Sigh... dandruff?

Aurum
December 11th, 2014, 05:40 PM
Just when you think you've got it mostly figured out, something else always seems to come along. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

I noticed recently (within in the last week or two) that my scalp was a little itchy in the front section near my part. Upon further inspection, I found little flakes. It's definitely not lice/nits as I know what they look like, and I don't share ANYTHING hair related (I'm sure some of you can relate, heh). So... Dandruff? I've never had it, and I don't have any experience with it. I Googled a bit and found some people saying that it's caused by a dry scalp and others saying it's due to not shampooing enough. It all just seemed contradictory, so I thought I'd get some more trustworthy opinions here.

I wash every other day with no sulfate shampoo, and I throw in a sulfate shampoo every couple washes to clear cone build up. It's worked for me and I haven't changed my routine in the past few months. I've only found the flakes in the front to the left of my part, but not actually in the part. What scalp I can see with a mirror and comb looks pretty okay to me.

I've realized that the longer/heavier my hair gets, the flatter is in on the top of my head. Could that be making it harder for the scalp to air out or get thoroughly shampooed? Or is it winter weather playing havoc with my scalp? Something else?

truepeacenik
December 11th, 2014, 05:43 PM
I'd look to winter and having the heat on in your home first.

Baby_doll
December 11th, 2014, 06:57 PM
Okay so the washing may be causing dryness on your scalp, whether u blow dry or not, blow drying drys hair out all the oils gone, and hair drying your hair will be wet longer and if it's cold, that can cause drying, that happens to me sometimes and what I do, is go through and almost scrape up all the dean drug and get it off my scalp then I do a white vinegar rinse, and when my hair is dry I put alittle oil on my scalp and leave it for a few days, it works like a charm for me

cat11
December 11th, 2014, 08:04 PM
i dont know whats causing it, probably winter. I started getting some too and when i started putting tea tree oil (about a dime size amount) in with my shampoo it went away.

Aurum
December 11th, 2014, 08:38 PM
That's interesting. I never would have thought winter/indoor heating would cause it, but it does make sense.

Clea
December 11th, 2014, 08:38 PM
I agree with the others about the cold. I've had dandruff since I was a kid. Cold weather and harsh chemicals seem to trigger it for me. It also gets super itchy when I don't wash my hair enough. Unfortunately, I've never been able to get rid of it. Tea tree sounds good cat11. It would smell great!

winship2
December 11th, 2014, 09:08 PM
Winter. I get it just at my widow's peak/part intersection the first day after I wash, then I scritch that evening and it's gone by the next day. Encourages me to stretch washes in the winter.

Anje
December 11th, 2014, 09:27 PM
I'd look to winter and having the heat on in your home first.

Yep, this. The winter flakes have shown up here, even if there's none on the ground outside.

lapushka
December 12th, 2014, 03:38 AM
If it's contained to one spot, my thoughts are more with seborrheic dermatitis rather than dandruff. Unfortunately oils won't do you much good in that case. Only a medicated shampoo will help with that. But I'd try and go with dry scalp first, and see if that cures it before looking any further.

jupiterinleo
December 12th, 2014, 07:02 AM
Winter. I get it just at my widow's peak/part intersection the first day after I wash, then I scritch that evening and it's gone by the next day. Encourages me to stretch washes in the winter.

Same here.

My flakes get worse with SLS but not ALS for some reason. Isn't ALS the harsher of the two?

winship2
December 12th, 2014, 08:08 PM
If you feel that the dandruff appears in response to shampooing, try a light pre-shampoo oiling of your scalp to help protect the skin, and use a very diluted shampoo. That helps me.

RachelRose
December 26th, 2014, 10:54 AM
Jason's brand dandruff shampoo! Cannot recommend this enough. After trying no poo then cowashing a few years ago I got bad dandruff for the first time in my life . My scalp was intensely itchy and it was embarrassing . I tried this stuff and used it only as my shampoo and then after months I gradually added a diff one . I know everyone's situation is diff but this stuff is worth a try :)

lapushka
December 26th, 2014, 03:34 PM
Jason's brand dandruff shampoo! Cannot recommend this enough. After trying no poo then cowashing a few years ago I got bad dandruff for the first time in my life . My scalp was intensely itchy and it was embarrassing . I tried this stuff and used it only as my shampoo and then after months I gradually added a diff one . I know everyone's situation is diff but this stuff is worth a try :)

I tried their thickening shampoo once. Gosh it was like totally separated goo that you needed to shake. Maybe I got a bad bottle but... no way! Never again, that brand!

RachelRose
December 26th, 2014, 09:48 PM
Yeah I'm not a natural shampoo fan tho I use mostly natural body products , but I was desperate . This stuff smelled like sulfur or something and you had to use a good bit of it because it's sulfate free but as far as dandruff goes holy moly it helped cure it for me :)

Sidenote: lapushka I'm a fan :) I love your knowledge and replies