PDA

View Full Version : Question on crown braids

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2014, 03:50 PM
I was wanting to know how long my hair has to be to do an English braid and wrap it around the perimeter of my head. My hair is about waist length. If it's not long enough for one braid could I make two smaller braids and wrap them around my head.

OrangeStripe
December 10th, 2014, 04:29 PM
try it and find out! if you can hide the ends of each braid under the other one, then it will look good!

Madora
December 10th, 2014, 05:34 PM
I was wanting to know how long my hair has to be to do an English braid and wrap it around the perimeter of my head. My hair is about waist length. If it's not long enough for one braid could I make two smaller braids and wrap them around my head.

Personally speaking, I'm at knee and can wrap one braid around my head with about 6 inches of braid left.

You might want to try inversion braiding...a faux lace braid/single braid combination that ends up looking like a single crown braid:
1) All hair in front of you, like a curtain. Detangle it gently with a wide tooth comb.
2) Starting in front of the tip of your right ear, take a thin strand of hair, divide in 3, and braid it once (that is, make one complete cross over (left section over the middle, then right section over the middle section)
3) Then start to do the "lace" braid effect..ie. adding hair to the section nearest the LEFT side, then taking in that left section, crossing it OVER the Middle section, hold the middle section in the fingers of one hand, while you "rake down" the strands with the fingers of the other hand. Now, take the section from the RIGHT and cross it OVER the middle section. Hold the middle section in your fingers with one hand, use your other fingers to rake down the strands, then take all the hair in the RIGHT section and cross it over the MIDDLE section. Now, move over to the left a little bit and carve out a small section of hair. Now, add this tiny bit of hair to the LEFT section. Hold the section with all the hair you just added in (pinch it with one hand and use the other hand to rake down the strands). Cross ALL the LEFT section OVER the Center Section. Pinch, rake, cross over the Middle/hold/rake/take all hair in the RIGHT SECTION over the Middle Section/pinch/rake, Cross over the Middle section. Now, take another thin section of hair from the LEFT and add it to the LEFT section and so forth and so on.... until you reach the tip of the left ear.
4) When you reach the tip of the LEFT ear, hold the hair (or clip it) and comb it out so that is is smooth
5) Divide hair in 3 sections
6) DUTCH braid the remaining hair in a single plait until you reach the end/fasten w/elastic
7) Take completed Dutch plait and circle it behind your head and up to the rear of the "lace" braid you just made in the front. The 2 braids should be flush (next to each other), not one on top of the other.
8) Voila..one faux 2 strand lace crown braid in the front and a single Dutch plait around your head! Inversion braiding at its sneakiest!
I realize that in the beginning it may be a little tricky dealing with all your hair in front of you. But if you keep your sections separate (i.e. pinching and raking down the strands), you shouldn't have any trouble.
Also, when bringing the hair forward and detangling, be sure to check the back of your head to make sure all the hair is lying smoothly (comb or brush it if it isn't).
The whole effect should be of an uninterrupted smooth swath of hair at the back of your head, surrounded by braids.
pps. I cheat if I have a section that just doesn't want to lie flat in the back or sides. I squish it under the nearest braid and use a 2 inch crimped hairpin to hold it there.

If you just want to have a braided crown w/o much effort, then make 2 braids and cross them across the top of your head and anchor the ends underneath each braid.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/9914Fauxlacecrownbraidinfront.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/9914Fauxlacecrownbraidinfront.jpg.html)

MeowScat
December 10th, 2014, 05:45 PM
Would a rope braid eat up less length?

meteor
December 10th, 2014, 06:30 PM
Full coronet would probably require at least classic length on most people. At 43'', I can't do a full coronet braid yet.
But you can do a really small one on top of your head or do a half-up coronet braid. Or you could use a long paranda/scarf.
Alternatively, two side braids, crossed over at the back and brought forward like milkmaid braids will definitely create the coronet braid effect and might even look more balanced than just one braid circling head.

Would a rope braid eat up less length?

Probably, especially if you don't make it tight. :)

DreamSheep
December 10th, 2014, 09:20 PM
Madora's method works really nicely. :) RIght now I'm sporting the lacebraid + Englis braid combo and it goes round my head only just. :)

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2014, 09:55 PM
try it and find out! if you can hide the ends of each braid under the other one, then it will look good!

I did at work a single braid it goes half ways around.

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2014, 09:56 PM
Personally speaking, I'm at knee and can wrap one braid around my head with about 6 inches of braid left.

You might want to try inversion braiding...a faux lace braid/single braid combination that ends up looking like a single crown braid:
1) All hair in front of you, like a curtain. Detangle it gently with a wide tooth comb.
2) Starting in front of the tip of your right ear, take a thin strand of hair, divide in 3, and braid it once (that is, make one complete cross over (left section over the middle, then right section over the middle section)
3) Then start to do the "lace" braid effect..ie. adding hair to the section nearest the LEFT side, then taking in that left section, crossing it OVER the Middle section, hold the middle section in the fingers of one hand, while you "rake down" the strands with the fingers of the other hand. Now, take the section from the RIGHT and cross it OVER the middle section. Hold the middle section in your fingers with one hand, use your other fingers to rake down the strands, then take all the hair in the RIGHT section and cross it over the MIDDLE section. Now, move over to the left a little bit and carve out a small section of hair. Now, add this tiny bit of hair to the LEFT section. Hold the section with all the hair you just added in (pinch it with one hand and use the other hand to rake down the strands). Cross ALL the LEFT section OVER the Center Section. Pinch, rake, cross over the Middle/hold/rake/take all hair in the RIGHT SECTION over the Middle Section/pinch/rake, Cross over the Middle section. Now, take another thin section of hair from the LEFT and add it to the LEFT section and so forth and so on.... until you reach the tip of the left ear.
4) When you reach the tip of the LEFT ear, hold the hair (or clip it) and comb it out so that is is smooth
5) Divide hair in 3 sections
6) DUTCH braid the remaining hair in a single plait until you reach the end/fasten w/elastic
7) Take completed Dutch plait and circle it behind your head and up to the rear of the "lace" braid you just made in the front. The 2 braids should be flush (next to each other), not one on top of the other.
8) Voila..one faux 2 strand lace crown braid in the front and a single Dutch plait around your head! Inversion braiding at its sneakiest!
I realize that in the beginning it may be a little tricky dealing with all your hair in front of you. But if you keep your sections separate (i.e. pinching and raking down the strands), you shouldn't have any trouble.
Also, when bringing the hair forward and detangling, be sure to check the back of your head to make sure all the hair is lying smoothly (comb or brush it if it isn't).
The whole effect should be of an uninterrupted smooth swath of hair at the back of your head, surrounded by braids.
pps. I cheat if I have a section that just doesn't want to lie flat in the back or sides. I squish it under the nearest braid and use a 2 inch crimped hairpin to hold it there.

If you just want to have a braided crown w/o much effort, then make 2 braids and cross them across the top of your head and anchor the ends underneath each braid.

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/9914Fauxlacecrownbraidinfront.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/9914Fauxlacecrownbraidinfront.jpg.html)

That's stunning. I'm going to try this method. Thank you.

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2014, 09:59 PM
Full coronet would probably require at least classic length on most people. At 43'', I can't do a full coronet braid yet.
But you can do a really small one on top of your head or do a half-up coronet braid. Or you could use a long paranda/scarf.
Alternatively, two side braids, crossed over at the back and brought forward like milkmaid braids will definitely create the coronet braid effect and might even look more balanced than just one

Probably, especially if you don't make it tight. :)

Madora's method works really nicely. :) RIght now I'm sporting the lacebraid + Englis braid combo and it goes round my head only just. :)

I'm going to have to do the two braid method. I don't have enough hair.