PDA

View Full Version : Layers Make Hair Look "Thicker"?

pearlsandpinups
December 10th, 2014, 02:08 PM
Hello everyone!

So I'm at about BSL (Maybe a tad past now) with some layers. I've had layers in my straight hair since I was about 13 because I always have heard that layers make your hair look "thicker". I'm starting to question that now and am planning on growing out my layers, and I would like to ask you guys why everyone says that?

To me it seems like layers would *thin* hair out, not add thickness. I'm also mostly talking about straight hair here, I understand that layers can really help shape a curly or wavy 'do sometimes.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=yDFtlLXNbkM

I watched that video earlier (I know I link her videos a lot but golly her hair is to die for!!) and it only cemented for me that layers don't seem to actually add any thickness, you can see in her older pictures with layers her hair didn't look anything like as thick as it actually is!

So do you guys have any idea why this is such a popular notion?

spidermom
December 10th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Straight unlayered hair will often lie flat to the skull, and layers loosen up that effect. It does make the bottom look a lot thinner, though.

bonbon58
December 10th, 2014, 02:32 PM
I have straight, frizz prone hair that looks like it has more volume when layered.. Also layers make my hair more wavy, which gives the appearance of thickness I guess

Nadine <3
December 10th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I've had layers in my hair since I was very young as well because stylists always told me I "needed" them to give my thin, fine hair movement and body. Now I'm cutting them out very slowly and the closer I get to having them gone the thicker my hair looks and feels. I think it has a lot to do with your hair type.

pearlsandpinups
December 10th, 2014, 02:39 PM
I'm wondering if maybe it's a hair-typing thing? :) The girl in the Youtube video's hair looks much thicker unlayered in my opinion, but apparently that must not be the case for everyone!

I don't know what my hair will look like without layers but I'm curious to see how it responds to being all one length! :)

wilderwein
December 10th, 2014, 02:44 PM
it depends! layers can make hair look thicker if they are the right type of layers on the type of the hair! For example in my case my hair also are seem kinda flat without layers (but lately i prefer that look) so all the previous years when i asked hairdressers for layers they would cut layers from the bottom of my neck so basicaly the ends were MUCH MUCH MORE THINER, wich didnt flattered my hair! But last time I asked for layers I told to my hairstylist to beggin the layering part from the ear part and up, and they were much better!

Chromis
December 10th, 2014, 02:56 PM
I have straight hair and growing up they always put layers in. Made it look much thinner! And so messy when I tried to put it up or tie it back.

I lump that advise in right with all those people that talk about long hair "dragging your face down" or that short people shouldn't have long hair or any number of other silly things people spout off.

amanda_the_tall
December 10th, 2014, 02:58 PM
The lady that used to cut my hair would always say the same thing. However because my hair is so thin to begin with, it really just makes it look awful. Every since I chopped back to chin/shoulder with a blunt cut, my hair looks way thicker, at least in the back. But I'm not concerned with the "volume/body" issue because my hair will always be flat no matter what unless I kill it with heat styling and sprays, and even then it will just fall flat after a little while. I am going to transition to a u shaped hemline once I grow my hair out, because I like the shape of layers, but need the blunt cut.

Lavenderhaze
December 10th, 2014, 03:27 PM
Agree that it is the type of layers and the type of hair. I found that the older techniques of cutting layers do add the appearance of volume, and with 2A hair it releases a lot of wave for me thus making it look thicker. But in reality there is less hair.

However I've had people cut with a different technique to make layers where they take a lot of the thickness out, leaving me with thinner, flat hair. Didn't like that at all. However, With my good haircuts, it appears that layers have been cut only into the outside part of my hair, leaving most of my hair one length and intact. I always ask if they know how to do layers to give volume because I do not want my hair thinned. And see if they know how to do that technique. Otherwise they might do the kind of layers where your hair is drastically thinner.

I wonder if with type 1 hair though, if no layers might be best. Perhaps a hairstylist could answer that.

hannabiss
December 10th, 2014, 03:50 PM
For my hair i need layers or my hair looks glued to my scalp. Tomato Tomato.(which doesnt translate well when writen lol )

JellyBene
December 10th, 2014, 04:14 PM
While they do technically remove diameter, they can also add movement which creates the illusion of thicker hair. BUT if you get the wrong layers for your hairtype it can indeed make it look thinner. For example a person with coarse wavy hair might do well with many shorter layers all around, a person with fine straight hair would just look thin and likely choppy especially nearest the ends. People with fine straight hair so best with face framing layers and what's called 'graduation' layers (held around a 45 degree angle) which only add layers to the bottom few inches :)

winship2
December 10th, 2014, 04:51 PM
Oh boy. I thought this said "Lawyers make hair look thicker".

FallingDarkness
December 10th, 2014, 04:55 PM
However, if you enjoy putting your hair up, or braiding it, I'd advise against getting layers.
Also, having only one layer gives you a REALLY thick, really beautiful hemline. :P

pearlsandpinups
December 10th, 2014, 05:44 PM
Thanks for all the responses everyone! So I guess the consensus is the same as with any hair advice: It just depends upon your hair! Haha