PDA

View Full Version : Is it better to condition hair twice? Or is less better?

Leslieslsa
December 9th, 2014, 08:58 PM
I have heard both things. I have heard some people like to condition their hair twice and it works well for their hair. But I have also heard some people say the less product the better. What is everyone's take on this? I usually use regular shampoo, condition twice, AND use a leave in. So I was wondering if I should try anything different?

jacqueline101
December 9th, 2014, 09:38 PM
I do the wcc and have great luck with it plus I use a leave in every other day. I know my hair type might not be the same as yours so the only advice I can give you is to try it and see if it works. If your current routine works keep using it but if it's not try wcc.

Leslieslsa
December 9th, 2014, 09:57 PM
What is wcc?

gthlvrmx
December 9th, 2014, 11:08 PM
It's fine to condition twice but you'll eventually have to get rid of any build up you experience with your conditioner. I think you're of "less is more" about oiling. That whole "less is more" thing really applies well for oiling! I think the plant extracts in the suave naturals line causes buildup but it takes a while for that to happen. If i had a link where ktani told me about this i would link it to you but i don't.

Nadine <3
December 9th, 2014, 11:17 PM
Hm, well I condition twice on wash day but my hair needs it. If I didn't, my hair would be dry o while less IS more you'll run into problems if you do to little. It's all about finding a balance between putting to much into your hair and causing build up and mechanical damage or using very little product and drying out your hair. I hope I'm making sense lol

Siowiel
December 9th, 2014, 11:18 PM
Well... the question is: What works for YOU? Does your hair feel better if you condition once or twice, or not at all? I do not think there's a "one fits all" approach to anything connected with hair. I oil very very lightly if I remember it and do not use any conditioner at all, others could cut their hair right off if they tried that. Of course the results and needs of hair will also vary with hair type and condition and the conditioner used (for example: tensides in the conditioner, cones or no cones etc.).

The only objective rule about conditioner I can think of would be the environment, so thats a factor that'd make less conditioner better if it has anything in it that's not completely bio-degradable on its own.

jeanniet
December 9th, 2014, 11:20 PM
It's fine to condition twice but you'll eventually have to get rid of any build up you experience with your conditioner. I think you're of "less is more" about oiling. That whole "less is more" thing really applies well for oiling! I think the plant extracts in the suave naturals line causes buildup but it takes a while for that to happen. If i had a link where ktani told me about this i would link it to you but i don't.

I think it's very much an individual thing. I use Suave Naturals to CO and as leave in, and so does GRU, and neither of us really get buildup issues at all. I clarify maybe three times a year, GRU only once. I know some people insist that conditioner builds up fairly quickly, but it's not necessarily true for everyone.

spidermom
December 9th, 2014, 11:57 PM
For me, it makes more sense to spend a little extra time massaging conditioner through my length. I used to use double-handfuls of the stuff, but now I only use a couple of tablespoons, more or less. I also do pre-wash coconut oiling and some kind of leave-in depending on what I'm doing with my hair. This morning I sprayed it with a little heat protectant because I thought I'd be blow-drying, but I didn't find the time for it. My hair feels really good!

Jenn_Ivan
December 10th, 2014, 12:34 AM
I wash and condition my hair once every 3rd or 4th day and I use a deep conditioning conditioner. Of course, I put more on the ends and then let it sit for about 5 minutes and then rinse it out with cool water. My hair is nice and soft afterwards and it remains that way for 2-3 days before becoming oily and needing to be washed again. I would think that too much conditioner would cause a build up and cause it to look and feel oily.

ladyjulia
December 10th, 2014, 01:47 AM
Agreed with the individual needs statements. But personally I go with the more conditioner the better....being wavy slightly curly my hair tends to look very dry and conditioner is key for me to avoid tangles and frizz

elsieivy
December 10th, 2014, 03:14 AM
I do CWC (condition wash condition) and that works pretty well for me. I avoid conditioners with cones in them and I clarify once a month. I think it's just a matter of trial and error and finding out what works best for you.

jacqueline101
December 10th, 2014, 03:41 AM
What is wcc?

It's shampoo wash condition twice with a rinse out conditioner. One could be a protein and coney conditioner or what ever choice you choose. There is a thread about it. I can't remember the title. Anyways you might browse it for a better answer.

purplevickie
December 10th, 2014, 04:39 AM
It really depends what's best for your hair. Personally I don't find two lots of conditioner does much - I'm better off just letting my conditioner sink in for 5 minutes. I sometimes condition-wash-condition when my hair seems especially dry (usually after colouring).

lapushka
December 10th, 2014, 07:03 AM
I WCC, have been doing that method for years (over half a decade maybe) and have never had issues. People who CO also use conditioner twice. There's nothing wrong with it, if it works for you.

There *is* no good and bad, only what works for your hair.

Madora
December 10th, 2014, 07:08 AM
I have heard both things. I have heard some people like to condition their hair twice and it works well for their hair. But I have also heard some people say the less product the better. What is everyone's take on this? I usually use regular shampoo, condition twice, AND use a leave in. So I was wondering if I should try anything different?

Less is more, personally speaking. Condition once and leave it at that. Find a good conditioner and stick with just that..no other products. You don't want to over condition your hair because that's worse than if you didn't condition at all. The less you put on your hair, the less buildup you have to contend with later.

Siowiel
December 10th, 2014, 12:04 PM
.... although the amount of buildup does not necessary relate to the amount of conditioner used, but the proneness the hair has to build up and the KIND of conditioner that is used.

jeanniet
December 10th, 2014, 12:09 PM
I WCC, have been doing that method for years (over half a decade maybe) and have never had issues. People who CO also use conditioner twice. There's nothing wrong with it, if it works for you.

There *is* no good and bad, only what works for your hair.

I usually just CO and then use leave in, but when I was working on increasing moisture in my hair I did condition twice. Now I've been doing CO long enough I really don't need it, but it was a real help for a while. I didn't get buildup either way.

jeanniet
December 10th, 2014, 12:12 PM
.... although the amount of buildup does not necessary relate to the amount of conditioner used, but the proneness the hair has to build up and the KIND of conditioner that is used.

Yes, very much so. I can put all kinds of products in my hair--I usually don't use a lot, but theoretically speaking--and not need clarifying for months if they're the right products. CO will wash them right out. On the other hand, cones build up very quickly for me, so I avoid those. A blanket statement that conditioner will buildup and need clarifying on a specific schedule is just not true, IME, so it takes some experimentation.

LadyCelestina
December 10th, 2014, 01:06 PM
Honestly for me it changes from week to week and I'm fine with that.Sometimes you need less.Sometimes more.Last week I did a DT and then co-washed and conditioned twice. This week my hair would have been ok with just one conditioner but I want it extra smooth so I added a heavier 2nd conditioner a bit of leave in.I also plan on oiling it despite my fear of it freezing somehow just to get the nice finish.

In general I just have to use conditioner whenever I get my hair wet,or else my hair gets dry.That's the only rule I have for my routine.Find what works,stick to it,but be flexible with it.

TrapperCreekD
December 10th, 2014, 01:23 PM
It really does depend on your hair. Being in the 1s, you probably don't need to condition twice unless your hair is dry, but try both and see which your hair prefers.

Yes, very much so. I can put all kinds of products in my hair--I usually don't use a lot, but theoretically speaking--and not need clarifying for months if they're the right products. CO will wash them right now. On the other hand, cones build up very quickly for me, so I avoid those. A blanket statement that conditioner will buildup and need clarifying on a specific schedule is just not true, IME, so it takes some experimentation.

This! A lot of goop goes into my hair - after conditioning once/twice, a big glob of thick/heavy coney conditioner for leave in, generous amounts of shea butter cream and flax gel, then mid wash cycle dampen and add more shea - and I can easily go several months before needing to clarify.

Anje
December 10th, 2014, 01:37 PM
Seems like a lot of work and a lot of extra conditioner to me. :P I just condition once and leave it in for the whole body-washing phase of my shower. Seems to work fine.

meteor
December 10th, 2014, 05:47 PM
I recommend trying CWC, WCC with and without pre-poo oiling and see what works best for your hair.

It's best to experiment with conditioning amounts, and it's easier to start with less and use more if your hair looks/feels dry. But if your hair gets coated/dull/flat/tangly or simply not its normal self, you might be seeing build-up, so you'll want to try less.

I tend to use 10x more conditioner than shampoo, and the ratio will probably grow as my hair gets longer. I also use more conditioner in winter-time, when it's extremely dry here.

I agree that working conditioner into hair thoroughly is very important for getting best results. Warming up conditioner and keeping it in your hair for a bit longer can help as well.

thankyousir74
December 10th, 2014, 05:57 PM
I have recently started conditioning my hair twice after shampooing and my hair has never been softer IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

I take 3 days at least between washes now, and for my shampoo, I trade off between clarifying shampoo and moisturizing shampoo, and it's perfect. I would not go back to not conditioning twice as long as I can afford it because for so long, I thought I just had "not-soft-hair" genes.

[edit: yes. This is a "your hair type" thing because after I wcc'd a few times, my hair was getting unhappy again, and clarifying *was* the answer for me, like ever so clearly]

whiterabbit
December 10th, 2014, 06:39 PM
WCC has been a dream for me. I needed to go back to a harsher shampoo but it's balanced by the conditioners. The first is a really nourishing one and the last has cones. Then I follow up with a couple of drops of mineral oil. SO SOFT!!!! And it hardly tangles! For the first time ever it hardly tangles!!!!

HoneyLatte
December 11th, 2014, 06:42 AM
It depends on your hair. Straight hair may be able to stay perfectly moisturized with just a rinse out conditioner in the shower but my curly hair definitely needs a leave in conditioner to stay nice and soft. A lot of women with straight and/or wavy hair I know simply use a hair serum or oil after showering whereas I use both a leave in conditioner and serum that I reapply daily.

lapushka
December 11th, 2014, 07:48 AM
I have recently started conditioning my hair twice after shampooing and my hair has never been softer IN MY ENTIRE LIFE.

I take 3 days at least between washes now, and for my shampoo, I trade off between clarifying shampoo and moisturizing shampoo, and it's perfect. I would not go back to not conditioning twice as long as I can afford it because for so long, I thought I just had "not-soft-hair" genes.

[edit: yes. This is a "your hair type" thing because after I wcc'd a few times, my hair was getting unhappy again, and clarifying *was* the answer for me, like ever so clearly]

I'm glad it works out for you. I wash weekly (WCC + LOC), and pretty much my hair is clarified weekly as well.

WCC has been a dream for me. I needed to go back to a harsher shampoo but it's balanced by the conditioners. The first is a really nourishing one and the last has cones. Then I follow up with a couple of drops of mineral oil. SO SOFT!!!! And it hardly tangles! For the first time ever it hardly tangles!!!!

Yes, the harsh shampoo. It's a pity - I have to use it, but the double conditioning afterward solves a world of issues. When using just one conditioner, my hair is a tangly knotty mess.

hollygail3
December 11th, 2014, 08:03 AM
I have been doing WCC for about a month now and I love what it does to my hair. However, I have been battling some very dry ends with the weather and honestly this is just how my hair is. Try it out with your hair for a little while and see what your hair thinks about it. Maybe your hair will love it, like mine does! :)

lapushka
December 11th, 2014, 08:16 AM
I have been doing WCC for about a month now and I love what it does to my hair. However, I have been battling some very dry ends with the weather and honestly this is just how my hair is. Try it out with your hair for a little while and see what your hair thinks about it. Maybe your hair will love it, like mine does! :)

Maybe try the LOC method (see signature) after. It locks in moisture and helps dealing with dry ends. The gel / styling cream is optional.

Leslieslsa
December 11th, 2014, 10:43 PM
Oh okay, I have been double conditioning for some time now but did not realize you could use two different conditioners! Maybe I will try that.

lapushka
December 12th, 2014, 01:50 AM
Oh okay, I have been double conditioning for some time now but did not realize you could use two different conditioners! Maybe I will try that.

There's more in the actual WCC thread. Along with info on how long to let it stay on and also about different conditioners.
The link is in my signature, Leslieslsa! HTH!

Make sure to clarify lots as well though, especially if you're using the LOC method after (also in my signature).

The method isn't for everyone, but as with everything... it can never hurt to try. ;)

sjlaurence
December 12th, 2014, 04:25 AM

I think it really depends on your hair. I think you should try something different if you feel like something different could possibly work better. That of course is just my opinion and I enjoy the process of experimenting on my hair. You could try CWC instead (Condition, Wash, Condition), which is what I do to protect my hair from the horrible water I have here. You could also try a ACV rinse or a tea rinse both of which leaves my hair shiny and tangle free. You won't know what works for you unless you try it.

RachelRose
December 26th, 2014, 10:50 AM
I'm going to give this a go at least putting a second dose of conditioner on my ends anyway

MINAKO
December 26th, 2014, 11:56 AM
in my case more is more. i sleep with deepcondish in my hair all the time after conditioning the heck out of it in th shower and ten condition again with a leave in after the rinse. so my hair is basically drenched 24/7

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 12:02 PM
in my case more is more. i sleep with deepcondish in my hair all the time after conditioning the heck out of it in th shower and ten condition again with a leave in after the rinse. so my hair is basically drenched 24/7

:) "More is more" for me too, especially in dry winter. :hifive: How do you manage to sleep in deep conditioner? With plastic caps on? How do you prevent dripping and skin feeling uncomfortably wet or itchy?

MINAKO
December 26th, 2014, 12:23 PM
:) "More is more" for me too, especially in dry winter. :hifive: How do you manage to sleep in deep conditioner? With plastic caps on? How do you prevent dripping and skin feeling uncomfortably wet or itchy?

i usually wet my previouly oiled hair just from the ears down, then apply the conditioned or pre poo mix, give it a quick comb and gather it in a high cinna bun, then i put a disposable showercap on top of the bun and wrap a satin scarf around it. so hair is not dripping wet and my scalp can still somewhat breathe. i just cant cover my entire head to sleep, but the few inches directly coming from the scalp dont need that much attention anyways.

meteor
December 26th, 2014, 12:27 PM
^ Great! :D
I think I'll be able to do something similar: drench my length in condish + oil, braid it without tying it off, and saran-wrap the braid for bed.

MINAKO
December 26th, 2014, 12:54 PM
^ Great! :D
I think I'll be able to do something similar: drench my length in condish + oil, braid it without tying it off, and saran-wrap the braid for bed.

of course it works this way too, im just too lazy to even braid an english braid at this length. haha as if 2minutes more would kill me.

Beborani
December 26th, 2014, 01:37 PM
My hair is washed with conditioner, then a second layer of conditioner is used to 'condition' and final layer of conditioner and a curl enhancing product, both of which are conditioning go on the hair and stay that way until wash day when it is heavily oiled and the process is repeated. I have been doing this for more than a year without clarifying or shampooing and my hair is doing very well. I doubt this routine can work for everyone, so it really is all about finding out what works for you--there is no one better way.

curlylocks85
May 10th, 2015, 07:12 AM

I think it depends on one's hair type. My hair, for instance, is very curly, dry, frizzy, and course, making it easier for me to use a bunch of conditioner to keep it soft and moisturized, while someone with silky hair may need less or none at all. I condition my hair and use the conditioner as a clarifier for my scalp and I comb it thru in the shower. I rinse it out and add much more and I leave it in, resulting in softer hair. It is all dependent on your hair responding positively to washing with conditioner twice.

Betazed
May 10th, 2015, 07:35 AM
Personally, I CWC. I put conditioner on my dry hair from my ears down, braid it and create a low bun to one side. I then put a disposible shower cap over the bun and tie it closed with an elastic. My length still gets a little wet but it keeps most of the shampoo off it. Once the shampoo is rised, I untie the braid, rinse and put conditioner on everything. I rinse with the coolest water I can stand, then I flip my head over and turn off the hot water all together. I put the length of my hair under this super cold water.

(Wow. I never before realized how complicated this sounds. I hope I'm making myself clear enough).

Once in awhile, I'll put a little more conditioner on my ends b4 I do the final, cold cold rinse. And every 2nd or 3rd shampoo, I dont bother with the first C and/or covering the length. I just let the shampoo rinse it's way down.

j88
May 10th, 2015, 12:03 PM
Hair that gets greasy should maybe be conditioned less? I have super dry hair, så I need to condition it more even though it makes it more frizzy :s

Deborah
May 10th, 2015, 12:14 PM
It really does depend on the type of hair you have. I don't use any conditioner any more, and don't need it. I wash once a week with an Indian herb mix, rinse that out, then pour a bottle of citric acid powder mixed into cold water over for my final rinse. Nothing more. This leaves my hair clean, shiny and soft.

lapushka
May 10th, 2015, 01:43 PM
Hair that gets greasy should maybe be conditioned less? I have super dry hair, så I need to condition it more even though it makes it more frizzy :s

If you don't let the conditioner get on your scalp, conditioning twice is perfectly alright to do. It's what your hair loves best that matters. Mine loves to be conditioned twice (I have oily hair), and it does awesome for tangles and knots (never have them, maybe sometimes when a conditioner is not up to par).

Platzhalter
May 10th, 2015, 01:58 PM
Try it out, compare the results you get from conditioning twice to those you get from doing it once and decide which one you prefer. Also try both cone-free and cones, as it can make a huge difference for some people.
Hope you'll find the right way for your hair soon :)