PDA

View Full Version : A Synthetic Boar Brush vs A Natural Boar Brush vs A Nylon Boar Brush?

Soullurre
December 9th, 2014, 06:04 PM
I was curious. Does anyone here use a synthetic boar brush? I notice that with a synthetic boar brush, no bristles ever come out. When I've bought Natural Boar brushes, the bristles always come out easily, I almost swallowed one cus I didn't know that a bristle fell on my lip. I could never find a boar brush that kept the bristles in until I went to a site from Europe and the boar bristle brush ripped my hair out but the bristles stayed in. I threw away the brush. It was expensive and a waste. Then, I tried a nylon boar brush and it tore my hair up. I also tried a nylon mixed with a boar brush and seem to be okay but it was rough.

Madora
December 9th, 2014, 06:14 PM
A synthetic boar bristle brush? Are you talking about a Tangle Teaser? There is no such thing as a synthetic boar bristle brush. A boar bristle brush is 100% natural. Not all bbbs are created equal. It all depends on how it is put together...the shape, the size, how the boar bristle clumps are placed, how long or thick or fine the boar bristles are...and most importantly, HOW you use the bbb! There is a certain way you do it. However, before any brush touches your head, you need to first detangle your hair gently and slowly with a wide tooth comb, THEN use the brush. If you just start to brush w/o detangling your hair with the comb first, you will have mechanical damage of the worst kind.

jeanniet
December 9th, 2014, 11:37 PM
Why are you brushing at all? At most, you should be using a detangling brush, but a bristle brush really isn't going to help your hair. Too rough on your hair type.

Soullurre
December 10th, 2014, 08:29 PM
I felt like it would help keep my hair clean, lol. But, I learn it just rips hair out. I do use a wide tooth comb made for extremely thick, coarse hair. I was just curious. When I say synthetic, I mean the ones at the Dollar Tree. You know, the ones that have completely black bristles that feel like fake hair.

Aspsusa
March 6th, 2015, 01:24 AM
(Bit late to the discussion - newbie and going through old threads - hope no-one minds)

I have a nylon bristle brush that I absolutely love. It has very coarse and blunt "bristles", and they are really stiff. No cushion, set directly into acrylic (or something similar), and it has slats (presumably for heat styling, but it makes the brush lighter and a bit easier to wash).

It is _almost_ possible to use it for detangling (stiff and sparsely set tufts), but I try not to - that's what tangle teezers are for!
Really good for scratching the scalp, and nice for brushing for smoothness and shine.

I did go out and buy a real BBB ten days ago (had to hunt in several places because I just don't like cushions on brushes, found something at a pet store), but I am a bit disappointed. Too soft. Too short bristles.

So my hunt for the perfect BBB continues. I love my nylon brush - and the fact that I bought it in Minsk, Belarussia makes it a nice memento too - but:
a) It creates a bit too much static electricity, especially in winter.
b) I believe a BBB would be better for distributing sebum.

But looking around I'm starting to think I need to scale back my idea of the perfect BBbrush to something with a combination of nylon and natural bristles. I probably won't find a BBB that is stiff enough for my liking. Might have to compromise with my dislike for cushioned brushes too.

Now, my hair is very straight, and I have no idea about the needs of curlier hair. Maybe curly hair shouldn't be stiffly brushed at all?

*ReiKa*
March 6th, 2015, 03:05 AM
I did own the "synthetic" boar bristles brush that you're talking about. Or maybe we should just call it a fake boar bristle brush, because that's what mine was. It said on the brush that it was 100% boar bristles, but it wasn't at all, and I found out that once I bought a real boar bristle brush, that having authentic boar bristles I was able to see a huge difference.
Anyway, as I was saying, I used to have it, and did nothing for my hair, absolutely nothing whatsoever: it wouldn't brush my hair, it wouldn't spread the sebum, it just wouldn't do anything, it was totally useless. I binned it after I bought my current boar bristle brush. I recommend you not to buy it.
I have now a mixed nylon and boar bristles brush by Denman and I love it!

lapushka
March 6th, 2015, 03:09 AM
Aspsusa, you could also go for a "mixed" BBB. It has boar bristles and nylon ones mixed together. Mine has more BB than nylon ones. I used to love it, but not as much as my wooden bristle brush or my Tangle Teezer.

hennalonghair
March 6th, 2015, 03:35 AM
A synthetic boar bristle brush? Are you talking about a Tangle Teaser? There is no such thing as a synthetic boar bristle brush. A boar bristle brush is 100% natural. Not all bbbs are created equal. It all depends on how it is put together...the shape, the size, how the boar bristle clumps are placed, how long or thick or fine the boar bristles are...and most importantly, HOW you use the bbb! There is a certain way you do it. However, before any brush touches your head, you need to first detangle your hair gently and slowly with a wide tooth comb, THEN use the brush. If you just start to brush w/o detangling your hair with the comb first, you will have mechanical damage of the worst kind.
Absolutely! Natural boar bristle brush all the way. They are popular for a reason; they work.
IF you are looking for a good quality brush then the dollar store isn't the ideal place to look.
Go online and look up good quality brushes. There are a variety of good ones.
Denman is a good brand. The Mason Pearson is a great brand but over the top expensive also. I have one and it was, by far, the best investment I ever made in my haircare routine. I've had bbb's as long as I can remember and they have always been 100% natural. No fake boar bristles!!!
A lot of how well a brush works is how you use it like MADORA mentioned.
Proper brushing is great for the hair and don't let anyone convince you otherwise.

Aspsusa
March 7th, 2015, 11:38 PM
I'm curious about how you use your pure BBB - can you get them through your hair?

The one I bought I _thought_ was stiff (I had been feeling loads of BBB that day), but it is still almost like the useless brush I remember from my childhood, just doesn't get through my hair. More like just stroking the hair on the surface. Which seems very inefficient for distributing sebum.

Since I bought it I have looked more closely at what works in the brushes/combs that I like, and what doesn't in the ones I don't. I think one problem with my BBB is that it has too many bristles, too close together (as did my too soft childhood brush). Whereas the nylon brush from Minsk has the tufts of nylon bristles set fairly widely apart, and my favorite cheap plastic detangling brush (bought a bunch of them for 2.50 €, I liked the first one so much) also has the tines rather sparsely set.
Of the brushes/combs I like it is actually the Tangle Teezer that has the tines closest together!

One problem with buying a good brush (and I am prepared to spend a bit) that I found is that I really, really don't like cushions. The are an absolute pain to clean, and my experience is that if (Deities forbid!) the brush gets caught in the hair the cushion makes it much harder to extricate it without more damage.
Since Mason Pearson comes up a lot I checked out their range online, and sadly almost all their brushes are cushioned :-(.
(Not that I want to spend _that_ much.)

MINAKO
March 8th, 2015, 09:13 AM
I find natural BBBs to be rather agressive on wavy hair, even when previously detangled perfectly. i only use mine on straightened hair. I dont even think Nylon Brushes compare when it comes to density, thats an entirely different thing IMHO. But i do love the one i just started using, i prefer this over wooden brushes as well. I dont know why some people hate on synthetic materials that much, because if well made it is much smoother and gentler in terms of avoiding friction.

meteor
March 8th, 2015, 02:29 PM
I'm curious about how you use your pure BBB - can you get them through your hair?

The one I bought I _thought_ was stiff (I had been feeling loads of BBB that day), but it is still almost like the useless brush I remember from my childhood, just doesn't get through my hair. More like just stroking the hair on the surface. Which seems very inefficient for distributing sebum.

Since I bought it I have looked more closely at what works in the brushes/combs that I like, and what doesn't in the ones I don't. I think one problem with my BBB is that it has too many bristles, too close together (as did my too soft childhood brush). Whereas the nylon brush from Minsk has the tufts of nylon bristles set fairly widely apart, and my favorite cheap plastic detangling brush (bought a bunch of them for 2.50 €, I liked the first one so much) also has the tines rather sparsely set.
Of the brushes/combs I like it is actually the Tangle Teezer that has the tines closest together!

One problem with buying a good brush (and I am prepared to spend a bit) that I found is that I really, really don't like cushions. The are an absolute pain to clean, and my experience is that if (Deities forbid!) the brush gets caught in the hair the cushion makes it much harder to extricate it without more damage.
Since Mason Pearson comes up a lot I checked out their range online, and sadly almost all their brushes are cushioned :-(.
(Not that I want to spend _that_ much.)

I think you are right: wide spacing is just safer and more effective... Of course, you are supposed to only use a brush on already fully detangled hair. But then you are just stroking/polishing the canopy/hairline hair, which only gives a neat look and nothing else. Using a brush for scalp massage is a different matter and is quite beneficial, I believe. :)

I find natural BBBs to be rather agressive on wavy hair, even when previously detangled perfectly. i only use mine on straightened hair. I dont even think Nylon Brushes compare when it comes to density, thats an entirely different thing IMHO. But i do love the one i just started using, i prefer this over wooden brushes as well. I dont know why some people hate on synthetic materials that much, because if well made it is much smoother and gentler in terms of avoiding friction.

I really agree with this.

Hair is dead so I care a lot about the smoothness of the material and design and its ability to conduct static, but its organic or inorganic provenance is a non-issue (since hair is dead). :shrug: In fact, boar bristles actually develop split ends like human hair and can have rough areas, which can catch hair, no? :confused:

Also, I only understand benefits of a brush touching my scalp or hair close to scalp, where some of that sebum can be distributed... but I simply don't see any logical benefit for brushing ends (unless they are oiled). Am I just crazy, or is there a chance that using a brush on hair ends is just buffing/polishing hair which is just as "healthy" as polishing/buffing nails, i.e. takes off some cells probably, and can actually weaken the overall structure? :confused: Of course, that buffing/polishing will give shine, but doesn't it shred off tiny bits of cuticle in the process? I'm really curious about your opinions, guys! :flower: Also, I would love to find some research to show hair cuticle under microscope before and after a thorough brushing session. So if you know of any sources, please share a link! ;)

Aspsusa
March 8th, 2015, 03:38 PM
Hair is dead so I care a lot about the smoothness of the material and design and its ability to conduct static, but its organic or inorganic provenance is a non-issue (since hair is dead). :shrug: In fact, boar bristles actually develop split ends like human hair and can have rough areas, which can catch hair, no? :confused:

Slightly off topic, but when it comes to boar/swine bristles used for painting brushes you actually _want_ split ends, they are called "flags". And the reason you want them (preferably as many and as small as possible) is that a brush like that will pick up more paint, and release it more evenly.

Also, I only understand benefits of a brush touching my scalp or hair close to scalp, where some of that sebum can be distributed... but I simply don't see any logical benefit for brushing ends (unless they are oiled). Am I just crazy, or is there a chance that using a brush on hair ends is just buffing/polishing hair which is just as "healthy" as polishing/buffing nails, i.e. takes off some cells probably, and can actually weaken the overall structure? :confused: Of course, that buffing/polishing will give shine, but doesn't it shred off tiny bits of cuticle in the process? I'm really curious about your opinions, guys! :flower: Also, I would love to find some research to show hair cuticle under microscope before and after a thorough brushing session. So if you know of any sources, please share a link! ;)

I have no idea (except that I don't think hair or nails are strictly speaking composed of cells).

One could theorize that stroking the ends with a bristle brush that has also been used on the head would impart some sebum, and polishing is probably a good word to use. Mixtures of oil and wax - like sebum - would seem to be just such a substance that would be dull unless polished.

Hmm, this thought almost makes me want to take my disappointing BBB and oil it up with coconut oil and see what happens to my lengths if I "polish" them a bit with it...

MINAKO
March 8th, 2015, 03:53 PM
Good question Meteor. I think Aspsusa is right that the brush picks up some sebum or other oild used on the hairand releases it also in the ends where it would have a hard time reaching down otherwise. But the buffing effect is something i imagine as well, thats why i do as little a number of strokes as possible, i really only like how the BBB seperates my hair when straight so it doesnt clump and flows all nice and silky. Im not sure i habe seen any microscopic images referring to the use of brushes, but the surface of a boar bristle compared to a really smooth nylon one under a microscope should already give us a good idea of whats more gentle.
I recently tested one with alot of nylon brstles and so far i am very pleased with it, since it doesnt leave my hair staticy i suppose theres a certain way to alter the material in a way. Technologiy can be amazing too. :)

meteor
March 9th, 2015, 03:48 PM
Slightly off topic, but when it comes to boar/swine bristles used for painting brushes you actually _want_ split ends, they are called "flags". And the reason you want them (preferably as many and as small as possible) is that a brush like that will pick up more paint, and release it more evenly.

I have no idea (except that I don't think hair or nails are strictly speaking composed of cells).

One could theorize that stroking the ends with a bristle brush that has also been used on the head would impart some sebum, and polishing is probably a good word to use. Mixtures of oil and wax - like sebum - would seem to be just such a substance that would be dull unless polished.

Hmm, this thought almost makes me want to take my disappointing BBB and oil it up with coconut oil and see what happens to my lengths if I "polish" them a bit with it...

Yes, I think oiling your BBB might be a good idea. :agree: For example, dried out BBBs can be brought back to life by oiling them to lubricate the bristles and make them more flexible again - though I'd look at the condition of those bristles first to make sure there is nothing snaggy.

And yes, it also makes sense that the more bristles and the bushier the brush, the more evenly the oil can be distributed for that polishing process. :hmm:

By the way, nails and hair are made of cells, for sure. So, for example, cortex consists of cells and so does the cuticle... Here are a couple places that discuss the structure: http://faculty.stcc.edu/AandP/AP/AP1pages/Units1to4/skin/hairand.htm, http://www.keratin.com/aa/

Good question Meteor. I think Aspsusa is right that the brush picks up some sebum or other oild used on the hairand releases it also in the ends where it would have a hard time reaching down otherwise. But the buffing effect is something i imagine as well, thats why i do as little a number of strokes as possible, i really only like how the BBB seperates my hair when straight so it doesnt clump and flows all nice and silky. Im not sure i habe seen any microscopic images referring to the use of brushes, but the surface of a boar bristle compared to a really smooth nylon one under a microscope should already give us a good idea of whats more gentle.
I recently tested one with alot of nylon brstles and so far i am very pleased with it, since it doesnt leave my hair staticy i suppose theres a certain way to alter the material in a way. Technologiy can be amazing too. :)

Yes, I'd really love to see some research into that! :D Of course, there is that Kiderman et. al. study about brushing and shedding (The effect of brushing on hair loss in women - http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed/19016066), but it has nothing to do with the question on potential chipping of tiny cuticle pieces by frequent buffing/polishing.
Again, nothing wrong with buffing nails or microdermabrasion on face either, they can provide gorgeous immediate results, but we know that they make surface smooth by taking off layers of cells... which, on dead material like nails and hair, could thin out/weaken the structure. I just really hope that brushes don't do anything like that at all! For short hair, it's probably nothing to worry about, but for decade-old hair ends... I don't know, I'd love to know for sure! ;)

Aspsusa
March 9th, 2015, 04:29 PM
By the way, nails and hair are made of cells, for sure. So, for example, cortex consists of cells and so does the cuticle... Here are a couple places that discuss the structure: http://faculty.stcc.edu/AandP/AP/AP1pages/Units1to4/skin/hairand.htm, http://www.keratin.com/aa/

Thanks! Especially that second one seems fabulous!
The thing I have a hard time wrapping my head around wrt this is that since hair and nails are dead structures, but still cells, what did those cells do, what did they look like, before they became hair/nails - and here was the answer:

The hair fiber is the core part of any hair follicle. Epidermal derived cells close to the DP remain undifferentiated cells, called matrix cells, that focus on multiplying and proliferating to produce more cells. Those cells made in the center of the hair follicle are destined to become part of the hair fiber and are called cortex (cortical) cells. As the cells multiply the constant stream of production pushes the cells upwards towards the skin surface. As they move up the hair follicle they begin to differentiate into particular cell types. The cortex cells change from a round into a flattened appearance. They are squeezed together into layers (lamella). If the hair follicle contains melanocyte cells then melanin pigment is incorporated into the cortex cells. These cortex cells become keratinized and harden. As they do so it becomes impossible for the cells to function properly and the cells die. The keratinized cells are then pushed away from the hair bulb region and upwards as new cells come in behind.

So the core part of our strands of hair are actually flexible towers of stacked, flattened, dead cells.

meteor
March 9th, 2015, 07:22 PM
^ Thanks a lot, Aspsusa! :D

Yes, it's definitely interesting! It's also cool how hair can actually get thicker or thinner not only in density but also in hair shaft diameter with healthier or deficient nutrition, it's easy to tell that there is a lot of hard work that's put into production of a healthy mane. :)

By the way, totally OT, but how do you manage to quote a website in a neat-looking box like that? :) Is there a code for that? Maybe something like "[ QUOTE ] [ /QUOTE ]" ?

Aspsusa
March 10th, 2015, 02:59 AM
By the way, totally OT, but how do you manage to quote a website in a neat-looking box like that? :) Is there a code for that? Maybe something like "[ QUOTE ] [ /QUOTE ]" ?

Yep, this with ( and ) changed to [ and ]

(quote="someone or some site") Quoted text bladibla. Interesting stuff. (/quote)

becomes

Quoted text bladibla. Interesting stuff.

Medievalmaniac
March 10th, 2015, 06:15 AM
Here's what I use:

http://www.sallybeauty.com/boar-bristle-brush/SBS-217202,default,pd.html#q=boar+bristle+brush&start=11

They're inexpensive, they're gentle on hair, and they work great for distributing oil and smoothing the hair shaft, which is mostly all I use a brush for. I use a comb to work out tangles. Also, no cushion and not hard to clean--just a little dish soap and some warm water.

Remi
March 10th, 2015, 10:26 AM
My first BBB was from the local drug store, and was awful. Didn't reach my scalp so I gave it to my granddaughter. Then I got another one from Amazon and I do like it, although it does not completely reach my scalp unless I use more pressure. I plan on buying a better one when my income improves a little more. But Madora is right, about the pre-brushing detangling with fingers and/or wide tooth comb.

meteor
March 10th, 2015, 12:10 PM
Yep, this with ( and ) changed to [ and ]

(quote="someone or some site") Quoted text bladibla. Interesting stuff. (/quote)

becomes

Wow, that's very helpful! :thumbsup: Thank you very much, Aspsusa! :flowers: