PDA

View Full Version : I'm very upset....

Shanarana
September 27th, 2008, 04:32 PM
With my hair.....I'm been thinking of cutting it and I need some help to stop me......I don't want it cut, but the frizz is really starting to bug me. I don't want my hair cut, but I'm really frustrated with how it's been behaving lately. Help, I need some encouragement.

Nat242
September 27th, 2008, 04:51 PM
But your hair is lovely! And from my experience, having shorter hair won't solve the "frizz" issue. Put it up and forget about it for a while to get over the urge, because really, you have beautiful hair.

Mary <><
September 27th, 2008, 04:56 PM
(((Shanarana))) Your hair is LOVELY! Don't cut it! Besides, frizz is a problem for shorties too, maybe even moreso. That will not solve your (perceived) problem. I think that hair types vary so much, and we have a hard time appreciating what we have when we are looking at what others have (that goes for more than just hair, btw). You really do have beautiful hair, so just give it some time. Maybe your feelings will change. I used to hate my hair too, but I see it differently now. I think you will too! :flower:

ETA: I was posting at the same time as Nat242! Looks like we think alike!

Shanarana
September 27th, 2008, 04:59 PM
Thank you ladies, your encouragement means a lot to me. It's just been a bad hair week, and I feel very "ugly" but it will pass and I know that just needed to vent.

I just love this forum and all the people who are here. ((hugs))

frizzinator
September 27th, 2008, 05:06 PM
If you ever really consider cutting due to frizz, read the No Water or Sebum Only thread. SO is the only thing that eliminated my terminally frizzy hair.

Shanarana
September 27th, 2008, 05:07 PM
If you ever really consider cutting due to frizz, read the No Water or Sebum Only thread. SO is the only thing that eliminated my terminally frizzy hair.

I'll do that, thank you. :)

MadHatter
September 27th, 2008, 05:13 PM
And from my experience, having shorter hair won't solve the "frizz" issue. Put it up and forget about it for a while to get over the urge, because really, you have beautiful hair.

Agreed. If you cut, you'll be doubly unhappy.

angelthadiva
September 27th, 2008, 05:26 PM
I was going to suggest to post a pic of the hair you think is frizzy. The reason I'm saying it like that is because most people who *think* their hair is frizzy isn't really frizzy.

Cutting isn't going to change your texture; maybe a new product or new routine or clarify would be a better solution? :flower:

30isthenewblack
September 27th, 2008, 05:31 PM
As you can tell from my profile pic, I have curly hair and I agree with the others that cutting your hair is only going to make things worse. I personally think that curly hair is best controlled at certain lengths ie above the shoulders or BSL or longer. At waist, I think my hair will be the easiest to maintain.

I think that controlling your frizz is a much better option and finding different techniques. I know a lot of girls have had success with the Curlygirl techniques found in her book. Perhaps you could post about your routine?

sibylla
September 27th, 2008, 05:33 PM
Your hair is beautiful!Think of me saying:"put down those scissors!"everytime you get that urge.

When my hair acts stupid I remember that braiding it many times a day makes it better like by magic.

To tame frizz put a little drop of coco nut oil on you palms and braid the hair.

Hugs!

mellie
September 27th, 2008, 05:37 PM
Your hair is so pretty! Don't even think of cutting it!!!

Another thing to try for frizz is pouring cold (from the fridge) distilled water through your hair after your shower. I've tried it recently and it has really helped!

Shanarana
September 27th, 2008, 05:47 PM
Thank you all for the support. I already feel better about my hair. It will pass and I know that...just waiting it out. :)

NeilTheFuzz
September 27th, 2008, 05:48 PM
I can tell you one thing. If you cut your hair you will regret it. The reason I know that is because every longhair I know who cuts their hair always regrets it.

Your hair is lovely, maybe your hair has been behaving the way it has because of the weather. My hair always plays up exactly the same as you describe around this time of year. Give it a little while before you make a final decision. It would be a terrible shame if you did something you regretted.

Take care

lora410
September 27th, 2008, 05:52 PM
Have you tried aloe vera daily, simple co washes in between regular washes, and cold water rinses? I do this and barely have frizz anymore..HTH

Shanarana
September 28th, 2008, 04:44 AM
I use aloe gel, but perhaps I need to add more than I usually do. I never tried SMT and may give that a go too. I know this is just a phase and I would regret if I ever cut my hair and I know that. Just a hard time in my life right now.

bunnii
September 28th, 2008, 06:07 AM
I know how your feel with frizz issues :rant: The other day I was reading about SMT and because I didn't have the ingredients I just used conditioner and oilve oil warmed up and two days later my frizz has all but gone :D

feel better soon :flower:

LisaJaney
September 28th, 2008, 06:13 AM
I'm going to second the "try the CurlyGirls routine" that 30isthenewblack suggested. Getting rid of shampoo helped with my frizziness, and my hair was FAR more moisture-filled once I ditched regular use of shampoo. I recently used shampoo-conditioner for a month (here in Europe, can't get my normal White Rain Extra Body conditioner that I use for Conditioner-Only washing) and OY my hair went all dry and frizzy again. Awful. Two or three CO's later, it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better again. I just had to find a cheap coneless conditioner, and my hair is thanking me by being moister and less-frizzy.

I gave you instructions on how to cut layers, but want you to THINK about it before doing it, Shanarana. Personally, I haven't regretted it a minute, but you need to do the two-week-rule thing: wait two weeks and really THINK about it, the good/bad/ugly of how it will change your hair to cut, and then if you want to still go for it, I've told you how. :shrug:

Get some moisture in your hair (I found the best was to quit taking the moisture out by shampooing) and I think you'll be MUCH happier with it. That's what worked for me, anyhow. Your hair is coarser than mine, so I'm thinking it would really help. (I'm 2a-c depending on the humidity, Fine texture, and just-into-ii for thickness) Your hairs are each fatter than mine, and you have more of 'em, but I think that CurlyGirl routine, or a CO routine will help with your frizziness issues.

Future CCC-SLP
September 28th, 2008, 07:07 AM
You will be even more upset with your hair if you cut it and didn't want that in the first place! Wavy/curlies sometimes have to deal with that annoying frizz and depending where you live, just the weather alone can inflame the dreaded fuzz ball! I'm sure its not nearly as bad as you think, but just keep it up and the urge will pass! Good luck :)

Indigo Girl
September 28th, 2008, 07:33 AM
I'm glad you've decided to wait, Shanarana; I think that's the smart thing to do. :flower:

If it brings you any comfort to know that you're not the only one feeling this way, I'll let you know that I am going through a similar experience right now. This too shall pass, and we'll both be the happier for it. ;)

paper
September 28th, 2008, 07:51 AM
Please don't cut your hair Shanarana, it is beautiful. A couple weeks ago, I was hating my hair too. I tryed a new shampoo, and had amazing results, and now love my hair. I hope you find a way to tame your frizzys so you can be happy with your hair again. Good Luck!

Shanarana
September 28th, 2008, 10:19 AM
I'm going to second the "try the CurlyGirls routine" that 30isthenewblack suggested. Getting rid of shampoo helped with my frizziness, and my hair was FAR more moisture-filled once I ditched regular use of shampoo. I recently used shampoo-conditioner for a month (here in Europe, can't get my normal White Rain Extra Body conditioner that I use for Conditioner-Only washing) and OY my hair went all dry and frizzy again. Awful. Two or three CO's later, it's MUCH MUCH MUCH better again. I just had to find a cheap coneless conditioner, and my hair is thanking me by being moister and less-frizzy.

I gave you instructions on how to cut layers, but want you to THINK about it before doing it, Shanarana. Personally, I haven't regretted it a minute, but you need to do the two-week-rule thing: wait two weeks and really THINK about it, the good/bad/ugly of how it will change your hair to cut, and then if you want to still go for it, I've told you how. :shrug:

Get some moisture in your hair (I found the best was to quit taking the moisture out by shampooing) and I think you'll be MUCH happier with it. That's what worked for me, anyhow. Your hair is coarser than mine, so I'm thinking it would really help. (I'm 2a-c depending on the humidity, Fine texture, and just-into-ii for thickness) Your hairs are each fatter than mine, and you have more of 'em, but I think that CurlyGirl routine, or a CO routine will help with your frizziness issues.

Thanks for a your insightful wisdom. I will wait the two week rule about putting layers in my hair. :)

Shanarana
September 28th, 2008, 10:21 AM
I'm glad you've decided to wait, Shanarana; I think that's the smart thing to do. :flower:

If it brings you any comfort to know that you're not the only one feeling this way, I'll let you know that I am going through a similar experience right now. This too shall pass, and we'll both be the happier for it. ;)

It has been an emotional exhausting week. I know it will pass, just grinning and bearing it right now.

Shanarana
September 28th, 2008, 10:22 AM
Please don't cut your hair Shanarana, it is beautiful. A couple weeks ago, I was hating my hair too. I tryed a new shampoo, and had amazing results, and now love my hair. I hope you find a way to tame your frizzys so you can be happy with your hair again. Good Luck!

Could you tell me what shampoo you used before, and what you changed to?

Shanarana
September 28th, 2008, 10:23 AM
I know how your feel with frizz issues :rant: The other day I was reading about SMT and because I didn't have the ingredients I just used conditioner and oilve oil warmed up and two days later my frizz has all but gone :D

feel better soon :flower:

I'll be giving that a go, thank you. :)

Shanarana
September 28th, 2008, 10:24 AM
You will be even more upset with your hair if you cut it and didn't want that in the first place! Wavy/curlies sometimes have to deal with that annoying frizz and depending where you live, just the weather alone can inflame the dreaded fuzz ball! I'm sure its not nearly as bad as you think, but just keep it up and the urge will pass! Good luck :)

Thanks for the encouragement. I'll be wearing it up all week I think just to get my mind off it.

Honey39
September 28th, 2008, 01:19 PM
I have MAJOR frizz - I mean, absolutely tons of the stuff! My hair's a bit wurlier than yours, but CO washes have helped (ie cutting right back on shampoo to once a fortnight). The other thing that seems to make a big difference is honey - I add honey to my conditioner, and when I do that, I get a lot less frizz.

Aloe vera gel helps tame the halo around my head a bit as well, but I go in phases of liking it, and at the moment I don't. I oil every day after washing, but that doesn't really help, because my worst frizz is on the top of my head, and I don't like to oil above my ears.

Sorry, not much help really - the frizz comes and goes for me, and it seems to be weather dependent a LOT. And the honey seems to help smooth it a lot. If I really don't want frizz, putting my hair up in a bun when it's wet seems to reduce frizz on my head, and then I take it down a couple of hours later to dry. That DOES get rid of the frizz on the crown etc, but thelength doesn't look as good - all swings and roundabouts, I guess!

Your hair is lovely, btw!

Little_Bird
September 28th, 2008, 01:27 PM
Frizzyness is something that a) It's part of your hair and you just gotta get used to it; or b) it may be due to the weather and will eventually go away. Maybe you can do something about it.

I do have a little frizzyness on top of my head, because my new hairs curl and look frizzed. I have become used to them and I don't really mind now...

Just don't let it get you to cut your hair... It doesn't pay :flower: I wish you good luck on solving this one :)

coppercurls
September 28th, 2008, 01:43 PM
I use aloe gel, but perhaps I need to add more than I usually do. I never tried SMT and may give that a go too. I know this is just a phase and I would regret if I ever cut my hair and I know that. Just a hard time in my life right now.

SMT's are a godsend for my hair. I do one at least once a month, sometimes more if my hair is "acting up". Play with the recipe & find out what works for your hair. I add a bit of coconut oil & a bit of glycerin to mine & it work great.

I think everyone goes through times like this with their hair. Speaking for myself, I know I would never be happy with short hair again. ;)

Melisande
September 28th, 2008, 01:46 PM
Shanarana, don't cut, please. You will only end up regretting it bitterly.

Did you try cocalaoe cream? Coconut oil and aloe vera gel whipped together. Does wonders for my frizzy 3a/b daughter.

I tame frizzies with Fox's shea butter cream, or I mist them with a mixture of distilled water and camellia oil. I remember there was a recipe for a HALO mist around here that sounded great.

There are many, many options to get rid of frizz. Cutting hair off is not one of them.

Don't you have an English saying: cut off your nose to spite your face? Don't do it. You will still have frizz, but short hair.

*hugs* it's hard sometimes, we know!!!

Shanarana
September 28th, 2008, 01:47 PM
Frizzyness is something that a) It's part of your hair and you just gotta get used to it; or b) it may be due to the weather and will eventually go away. Maybe you can do something about it.

I do have a little frizzyness on top of my head, because my new hairs curl and look frizzed. I have become used to them and I don't really mind now...

Just don't let it get you to cut your hair... It doesn't pay :flower: I wish you good luck on solving this one :)

I usually can just accept that it is something I'll have to always battle with. Just the past week I've been really bothered by it. I hate short hair on myself, and I have come so far to grow it. I just get frustrated once and a while and just need to get through it.

Shanarana
September 28th, 2008, 01:48 PM
SMT's are a godsend for my hair. I do one at least once a month, sometimes more if my hair is "acting up". Play with the recipe & find out what works for your hair. I add a bit of coconut oil & a bit of glycerin to mine & it work great.

I think everyone goes through times like this with their hair. Speaking for myself, I know I would never be happy with short hair again. ;)

I am going to try the SMT, never did that before and it can't hurt right? Need to find the thread first. Thanks for the input. :)

Speckla
September 28th, 2008, 01:50 PM
Frizz just happens. It's a part of having hair and changing weather. It could be the season changing to fall that's making your hair frizzier than usual or you need a little more moisture. Don't cut!! Length is a show of hard work and a lot of patience because it takes a long time to grow out hair. Try a new product or a new updo!! You'll be amazed at home much better you'll feel when you come through this! Learn! :)
________
Yamaha Dragstar 650 Specifications (http://www.yamaha-tech.com/wiki/Yamaha_DragStar_650)

Shanarana
September 28th, 2008, 01:51 PM
Shanarana, don't cut, please. You will only end up regretting it bitterly.

Did you try cocalaoe cream? Coconut oil and aloe vera gel whipped together. Does wonders for my frizzy 3a/b daughter.

I tame frizzies with Fox's shea butter cream, or I mist them with a mixture of distilled water and camellia oil. I remember there was a recipe for a HALO mist around here that sounded great.

There are many, many options to get rid of frizz. Cutting hair off is not one of them.

Don't you have an English saying: cut off your nose to spite your face? Don't do it. You will still have frizz, but short hair.

*hugs* it's hard sometimes, we know!!!

I have tried shea butter, but the smell is something I can't deal with. Think I'm just going to open up a lab and start doing some serious experimenting.

bunnii
September 28th, 2008, 01:59 PM
I am going to try the SMT, never did that before and it can't hurt right? Need to find the thread first. Thanks for the input. :)

I found the thread for you :) http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14635

Melisande
September 28th, 2008, 02:02 PM
Shanarana, I use refined shea butter. No smell at all ;-) I don't even know how unrefined sb smells, I never took the risk...

Shanarana
September 28th, 2008, 02:05 PM
I found the thread for you :) http://archive.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=14635

Awesome, thank you bunnii.

paper
September 29th, 2008, 03:00 AM
Could you tell me what shampoo you used before, and what you changed to?

I was using Giovanni 50/50. They were out of it so I bought Giovanni Smooth As Silk. My hair felt amazing after, just like silk. I took a pic, :D

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd17/paper1962/goodhairday.jpg

Shanarana
September 29th, 2008, 03:03 AM
I was using Giovanni 50/50. They were out of it so I bought Giovanni Smooth As Silk. My hair felt amazing after, just like silk. I took a pic, :D

http://i221.photobucket.com/albums/dd17/paper1962/goodhairday.jpg

Your hair looks amazing. I will look for the product today during my lunch hour along with getting some honey for SMT. I did a CO today with my hair and seeing if that will also help.

Thanks for the suggestion. :)

ljkforu
September 29th, 2008, 03:25 AM
Your hair is beautiful!Think of me saying:"put down those scissors!"everytime you get that urge.

When my hair acts stupid I remember that braiding it many times a day makes it better like by magic.

To tame frizz put a little drop of coco nut oil on you palms and braid the hair.

Hugs!
I totally agree about the coconut oil and braiding. It is a great idea!

Lisa-Maria
September 30th, 2008, 05:42 AM
If your worried about frizz why not try to clarify and then damp oil it? Might help, and don't give up!