PDA

View Full Version : Hyperthyroidism and shedding

Bellechevelure
December 9th, 2014, 11:11 AM
Hi! I have hyperthyroidism for a long time now but i was obligated to stop my treatment and now i am losing my hair so much... It's scary. I just did a big chop from hip to bsl because I coudln't handle it. I have no thickness anymore... In one month, i will not have a thyroide anymore and I would love to know if you have tips for stoping a little bit of the shedding and for getting back my thickness when I will be in recovery. I know nothing about shedding sincères it never happen to me or anyone that I know...

Thank you all :)

TheaEvanda
December 9th, 2014, 03:00 PM
I don't like to say it, but you will only stop shedding when you get back on an appropriate dosis for you. In the case of thyroid problems, you need them treated. If you do nothing, it could also cost your life. Don't worry about your hair, worry about yourself.

Beborani
December 9th, 2014, 03:21 PM
Why have you stopped the anti-thyroid meds? Are you going to get radioactive Iodine treatment? How old are you? Your hair may grow back once you're hypo and are on thyroid medication. I don't think you can do anything about the shedding while it is happening--happened to me too but I was young and carefree and didn't pay attention to the shedding. I do remember collecting wads and wads of hair from the floor of my dorm room. Unfortunately I also had another scalp condition at the time so it is hard for me to know in hindsight which of those caused the irreversible shed. You should discuss it with your endocrinologist--I am hoping they are more enlightened now that 30+ years ago and care about 'little' things like hair too in addition to your health--it is not good for your heart to be in hyperthyroid state for prolonged period of time so do take care of that first. Hope they are giving you beta blockers during this period of no drugs. Good news is hair can grow back--I let it go for 30 something years and started Mioxidl just a couple of years ago and have had tremendous regrowth. Perhaps, there were other things I could have done but didn't as hair wasn't really important to me.
Take care of yourself.