PDA

View Full Version : enhancing orange tones in henna?

lady mechanic
December 8th, 2014, 02:54 PM
My hennaed hair is starting to go more brown than red. Its just looking very dull lately.I use pure henna leaves mixed with cranberry juice. My hair is naturally light ashy brown. I overdid it with the henna and when it oxidized it's a pretty burgundy color but it's seeming a bit drab. I love the orange tones that most try to get rid of. Any way to bring them back without bleach? Will cassia do the trick? I know henna can't be lighted (or at least not easily) and I don't want to lighten. I'm just seeking to brighten it up a bit and make it all shimmery and truly red again without darkening it anymore. Any advice would be appreciated :)

texangrrl
December 10th, 2014, 01:12 PM
It certainly wouldn't hurt to do a henna/cassia mix. How many full henna applications have you done in your hair? I've only done 3 so far and in my last mix, I mixed red raj and hibiscus because the hibiscus is supposed to enhance the red tones. My goal is to achieve a rich cherry red without the burgundy.

Agnes Eliza
December 10th, 2014, 03:15 PM
Have you considered using a direct dye? Special Effects has some lovely oranges that should leave a nice orange sheen on your hair.

Number 3
December 11th, 2014, 03:12 AM
Let me know if you find a solution.

LadyCelestina
December 11th, 2014, 03:28 AM
I second the semi-permanent dye idea.You can also try diluting your henna a bit with cassia to avoid further darkening,and stick to roots only.

browneyedsusan
December 13th, 2014, 06:47 AM
I'm so sorry I didn't chime in sooner!

My hair is ash brown and gray. I've worked out a rough solution for myself that might help you:
Henna glosses on roots only. I use 1/4 cup dye released henna + 1 cup cheap condish + 1/2 tsp xanthan gum (optional--it's a thickener and helps the drips) Snoop through my growth album. It's my old siggies, and the henna varied depending on the light. :)
You can lighten henna a little with Sun-In link (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/showthread.php?t=19317). I use it a couple of times a year and follow the directions on the bottle. Some people get damage from Sun-In, so proceed with caution. (My hair is okay with it--no damage)

I understand. I like bright copper, too! It's okay after it browns down, but nothing beats a fresh henna! So bright and pretty!

lady mechanic
December 13th, 2014, 11:02 AM
I've only done three whole head applications now the roots are coming in. I think I'm gonna give the special effects a try! I'm scared of glosses because of the darkening effect.