PDA

View Full Version : considering a big chop

LunaLuvsU
December 8th, 2014, 01:01 PM
So the thought of cutting off a large portion of hair, from tailbone to short pixie, has been wafting around my thoughts for a few weeks now. I recently brought it up to my mom and I am so unsure now. I thought I would be prepared for the reaction, she loves my hair and was rather sad to hear my idea, but I feel guilty now.. I love long hair but I want to cut off all the chemically treated stuff and experience the full journey of growing it out to terminal or where ever I end up liking it. I can start fresh with the knowledge from my experiments :D This is what I have in mind:http://media-cache-ak0.pinimg.com/736x/96/50/8a/96508a0d643dacb2eebf20048d314bd5.jpg
Any advice, thoughts, or encouraging words would be greatly appreciated :)

Chocowalnut
December 8th, 2014, 01:09 PM
Do you have any pictures of your current hair? My initial thoughts to this were no way are you kidding don't do it.. Especially if you're not sure dont do it.. Years and years of hair growth to see if you'd like a pixie cut? It will take soo long to grow back to that length if you dont like it. Imagine how that regret would feel.

fiğrildi
December 8th, 2014, 01:21 PM
I would wait a few more weeks, even if you feel that you're already completely sure about it. Have you considered to chop it progressively --first to BSL, then to shoulder, and lastly to pixie? That way you'll get used to the shorter length slowly, and it won't be such a dramatic change for you when you get the pixie cut.

Don't feel guilty for your mother feeling sad about the idea of you getting a very short cut. You should do what it pleases you. Hair will grow back!

Catatafish
December 8th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Why don't you buy a cheap wig to see if you like it? Also, I wouldn't advice cutting it so short all in one go. Why don't you just cut off a couple of inches off every few weeks if you are REALLY determined to do it. That way you can play around with a new hairstyle every few weeks, instead of waiting for years to grow out.

Also, from what I've heard, it's very annoying to grow hair out from a pixie cut. I grew mine out from a graduated bob, and that was really annoying. There are so many 'in between' stages where the hair looks strange and can be difficult to style.

lapushka
December 8th, 2014, 05:06 PM
Give it a few weeks. Never do anything that rash, especially not when it's about cutting such a huge chunk off. Why not microtrim if you have damage, even go as far as to cut away more than your growth for the first half year (say at 1 inch a month). You'll still be making hasty progress on the damage that way. Even just taking 1 to 2 inches off can make a big difference already!

FallingDarkness
December 8th, 2014, 05:16 PM
Yeah, PLEASE wait a few more weeks! And give us pictures of your hair now. If it's the damage that bothers you, then sloooowly cut the damage. I highly doubt your hair is horrendously damaged up to your roots, which is almost what getting a pixie would imply.
If you're on the fence about it, then don't. Only cut your hair if you're ABSOLUTELY POSITIVE that that's what you want. Do what makes you happy! If you're unhappy with your hair now, then maybe it's time for a change.

MissMoppet
December 8th, 2014, 05:26 PM
Do you have an ipad? If so, there is a great app that lets you try on different hairstyles, haircolor and makeup. I tried it out and got feedback from family about what suits me. Short hair was voted out every time. I think because of my face shape it does not suit me. Shoulder hair or longer, with some layers, is definitely what I have to stick to. Give the app a try. If you don't have an ipad, google to see if there is something else online you can play around with. It is so worth it to do this before you take any kind of drastic step. :)

wilderwein
December 8th, 2014, 05:26 PM
i trully believe you will regret it! see with long hair you can do basically whatever you want! but with short hair is so much more difficult! try a new haircut instead wich will leave your hair long but will change your hair apperance, like layers or bangs and stuff! maybe a different color tehnique!

Madora
December 8th, 2014, 05:47 PM
That Pixie cut looks cute...but it is the very devil to grow out later when you decide you want long hair again! Instead, why don't you just trim off 5 inches and see how you like your hair. Try it for 2 weeks. If you don't like it, then cut off another 2 inches and wait another 2 weeks. If you believe you want really short hair, then cut to just below shoulder (no layers, just a blunt or slight U cut) and start growing from there. Good luck!

mz_butterfly
December 8th, 2014, 05:49 PM
That is a drastic cut. I always encourage everybody to do what makes them feel good, but that is very short.

pearlsandpinups
December 8th, 2014, 07:40 PM
I would wait a little while longer at least to see if the urge to chop fades. - That's a VERY drastic amount of hair to cut off. Earlier this year I had gotten "bored" with my long hair and decided to cut it to a bit past shoulder, so nowhere near as short as a pixie, and I regret it SOOO much. Now I'm having to grow it out all over again and there were some periods where I felt like it was very awkward looking in its length. It's only just now starting to get long enough (BSL) that I think it looks okay down.

spidermom
December 8th, 2014, 07:46 PM
Have you ever had hair that short?

I find that I either like my hair very short or very long. Growing out a very short cut is so frustrating, especially when what you like the most is long hair.

Wearing long hair up gives a similar appearance to short hair in that it shows off your neck and ears. You could get bangs to simulate the cut you want to try. Then when you're tired of it, you can take down your long hair and comb it out and be very grateful that you didn't cut it all off.

hollygail3
December 8th, 2014, 07:51 PM
Do what makes you happy! Don't keep your hair just because your mom would be sad if you cut it and don't feel inclined to cut it just because you talked about it. I would take the advice of buying the wig and trying it out. If you like it, I would gradually cut and make sure that you don't immediately hate it. I'm planning a chop in 2015 although mine won't be as dramatic. I'm going for HL to CBL.

BambooBeauty
December 8th, 2014, 08:49 PM
I'm just going to go ahead and say DO IT! If it is something that you want and have been thinking about for awhile you should go for it. I have recently had a pretty dramatic hair change and I could not be happier. Your head will feel so light and washing will become so easy. The best thing for me was not thinking about split ends anymore. If you do end up going for it, it will be a shock but it will probably end up being a good one. I love long hair but short hair is so cute and sassy.

I remember looking at a blog awhile ago and there was a post about growing out a pixie gracefully. I will try and find it again if your interested.

Kherome
December 8th, 2014, 09:10 PM
If you want it, do it. It's just hair, it keeps growing.

Merlin
December 9th, 2014, 12:35 AM
If you want it, do it. It's just hair, it keeps growing.

What she said, with the caveat that you have to be sure it's what you really want to do.. Also nothing, bar nothing, will give you a more head-turning wow factor than you'll get turning up at work/college the day after you get it done (actually, you can increase it if you buy a stunning new outfit to wear too)!

Oh, yeah, and make sure that you get a really good stylist to cut it for you - if you don't have one ask around, stop women in the street with great haircuts if you want and find out where they go. Just don't use somewhere just because it's cheap and convenient. You do this, get it done well and be prepared to pay well for it

molljo
December 9th, 2014, 12:41 AM
If you decide to do it, make sure it's because you want a pixie. I adored having a pixie, but it's something you have to go into with clear eyes and full knowledge of the commitment you're making. Once chopped, keep it for a season or half a year before you decide to grow it out, because growing out a pixie is incredibly annoying and demoralizing, so at least guarantee yourself some time to enjoy it before entering into that process. Again, I can't stress enough how wholeheartedly you have to want a pixie in order to get one. Most of the women I've known who weren't sure if they wanted one and got one ended up hating it, and the women who were 100% about their desires for one loved it.

Majorane
December 9th, 2014, 01:06 AM
Give it a Good Long Thought, maybe go in stages, and maybe get a cheap wig from eBay to test your haircut - but if you are sure after giving it due thought, go for it and enjoy the process! Yes, growing it out IF you decide you don't like it is annoying. But you'll manage, it is just hair. The only thing I think you need to plan carefully is your hairdresser. Like Merlin said, don't be afraid to ask people on the street for their hairdresser if they have hair you think it's awesome. Back in the day when I had edgy bobs, people did ask me for my hairdresser. (no bragging, it's true! She was very good.) Believe you me, that is a Compliment with a capital and they will not think you are weird for asking!

Also let us see the before and afters, if you go through with it. And happy growing or happy styling, whatever you decide to do. :flower:

SunainaMhrani
December 9th, 2014, 01:09 AM
If I were you i'd just buy a short wig and leave my long hair alone..

Lyv
December 9th, 2014, 03:10 AM
I'd give it a week of thought unless it's something you've already been thinking about a lot. I cut from an inch or so from waist to a pixie and I don't regret it at all! All of the damage from dyes and heat tools is gone and I don't have to deal with growing out any dye. I've been growing mine out for almost a year and sometimes it's a little frustrating but it's really not as bad as I thought it would be, there was maybe 1 month where I hated my hair but it just trimmed the back a 1/2 inch and it looked fine again. If you do it and start growing it out focus on how healthy looks and feels and it won't make the pretrim mullets seem so bad haha. BTW I only needed 3 trims for it to grow out evenly.

MeowScat
December 9th, 2014, 07:44 AM
If you decide to do it eventually, maybe cut it in small increments every week or two. Who knows, just a few inches off the bottom might make you change your mind. Of course, I'd start with a short, cheap wig first. Let us know what you decide! :)

Hootenanny
December 9th, 2014, 08:55 AM
I did something similar to this (although the chop was from around waist, not tbl) about 5 years ago now. I found a pic of a pixie cut that I absolutely loved, I thought about it a while, and finally went to my stylist and asked for that exact cut. I knew I wanted to try really short hair once in my life, and so in one sense I don't regret doing it. However, I can say quite honestly that it looked terrible on me. The reason why is simple: the model in the pic of the pixie cut had features nothing like my own, and so the same cut that looked amazing on her, when executed on my own head, look atrocious.

So, I while I wouldn't try to talk you out of getting the pixie, I would strongly recommend that you try to find a model with features, a face shape, a weight, and an age similar to your own, so that you can have realistic expectations of what it will look like on you. The pic you posted is in danger of looking like a granny-cut, IMO, if you don't have the right face for it.

Nymphea
December 9th, 2014, 09:13 AM
Ok, I'll try not to repeat what everyone else said, but yes:

1. Give it a long and good thought. Give yourself at least two weeks of thinking about the chop. In the meantime, do something that makes you happy and try not to be focused on your hair that much in order to maintain some distance from the idea. If you still want to chop and you want it so much, do it. It's your hair and you should do with it what you want.
2. Then, maybe you don't have to chop that much off at once. If damage is what worries you, maybe cutting less off would also solve the problem? If you have a picture of your hair now and if you want to share it with us, please do. The damage may not be so prominent. Also, if you just want a change and you are thinking about shorter hair, try to cut it to waist first. It seems like no big change, but from TBL to waist - it is. That's exactly what solves my "I want to change my haircut and I want to do it now" and also my "getting scissor-happy" issue.
3. If you still want to try a pixie, then try it.
4. Let us know what you decided.

Good luck! :)

texangrrl
December 9th, 2014, 09:23 AM
My best advice is to give it A LOT of thought. I did a huge chop in 2010 (angled bob with stacked layers in the back) and I liked it for all of about two weeks. After that, it was instant regret. I like the other suggestions of cutting off a few inches and seeing how you feel about that and then cutting off a few more if you feel comfortable and working your way up. But everyone is different and obviously not everyone regrets a decision like that (ie, Lyv who posted just above me). Whatever you decide to do, I hope you like it and I'm sure you'll look beautiful!!

Nique1202
December 9th, 2014, 10:02 AM
You have to figure out why you suddenly want to cut so drastically (Did something big in your life change recently? Are you coping with everything in a healthy way? Is this a reaction to something big or just normal hair boredom?) and what steps you're prepared to take to make it work or stick it out. You're the only one that can make the decision. You can throw out what I say, or what anyone else in the thread says, and go and do it and maybe you'll be really happy with the pixie and maintain it for years. But, it has to be your decision, don't make the decision out of guilt for your mom's reaction or out of fear of change or anything else.

My personal recommendation: cut an inch at a time and wear it that length for a week or three washes. Play with it, style it, evaluate it from all angles. At any point, if you feel that one-inch difference was too much, that's only 1-2 months of growth to get back to where you know you were comfortable. Then maintain at that length until the damaged/dyed hair is gone. Or, if you never feel like it's too short, and you get up to shoulder or chin length and still want to, get it professionally pixied. At least this way, it's not a huge difference at any point so you shouldn't ever be as completely traumatized as I was when I realized I was years away from getting back to where I used to be because of one whimsical decision to change.

Pixie cuts are high maintenance. They can hardly grow a month without looking completely different so you need frequent trims, the hair is all close to the scalp and shows greasiness more easily so you have to wash or use dry shampoo more often, and unless your hair takes direction well you are stuck with one style only until your next cut, except for parting it in different spots maybe.

I chopped from mbl to a pixie four years ago. It has been pretty much the only thing I regret in my life. I was happy with my pixie for about two weeks before the novelty wore off and I started missing my braids and ponytails and buns. It was very soon after that that I joined the forums looking for solidarity and support.

Growing it back out was the WORST because not only do you have to wait so long to be able to do what you used to do style-wise, but you also have to deal with hair of various random lengths all over your head and unless you have a really good stylist you might have a 3-6 month period where you look like you have a mullet unless you use an awful lot of bobby pins and gel. Personally, I went the "trim the back until the top catches up and it looks like a bob" route.

Growing out has been even worse for me personally because I used to have my hair cut professionally, and she always used thinning shears PLUS long layers, so I was used to MUCH thinner hair than I have now (probably on the edge of i/ii instead of solid iii) and that meant that styles I could do at APL before were impossible for me even at shoulderblade/midback.

I'm not trying to scare you out of doing it if it's what your heart wants. Again, only you can decide what to do. But, these are things that it's good to know BEFORE you take the plunge and cut near or over 20 inches of hair off at once. Things I didn't learn until after, and that would have changed my mind if I'd learned them sooner.

Redvelvetdragon
December 9th, 2014, 10:04 AM
How about getting a really beautiful hair clip or toy and try some up dos and see if that may satisfy your need for change? That works for me. :)

LunaLuvsU
December 9th, 2014, 07:12 PM
I did end up trimming my hair since posting this but NOT to pixie. Its around BSL now and I really love it. You cant really tell in the pictures but it looks quite a bit healthier. Before (picture is a couple months old so just imagine it a bit longer.): http://i.imgur.com/HrJMzQ6.jpg After: http://i.imgur.com/nXS5bOw.jpg Im rather excited to start growing it. I started with hair around waist length that was badly damaged and I feel like this is a better start. I really hope I can maintain my ends..

LaurelSpring
December 9th, 2014, 07:32 PM
I cut my hair pretty short (layered bob) this spring. It was fun for about a minute. I did cut off a lot of old henna build up and I was happy about that but as far as the cut went I am back to growing again. It is at a really awkward length now where it curls up on my shoulders. It is still too short to put all the way up and I cant just put it up and go, so now unless I use some heat on it, it looks awful. oops. I need it to get long enough to put up on my head so I can get my braid waves and volume going, then I will be back on track again. How long will that be...ohhh... another 6 months or so maybe? Give it some thought.

Jenn_Ivan
December 10th, 2014, 01:04 AM
Every time I have had a major cut done, I've regretted it. I still have about 4-6 inches of dyed hair but will not cut more than 4 inches off in a year. In 2013 I only cut a total of 2 inches and this year, I've only cut 4 inches. I won't let my hair ever be shorter than waist length or I think I'd feel really depressed, lol.

gnome82
December 10th, 2014, 04:20 AM
Nnnnnnnnnoooooooooooo :brickwall, I miss my longer hair so much I could not recommend a chop that big shudder:

Selafae
December 10th, 2014, 05:03 AM
Well... Listen to your own heart. But when you say that you want to get rid of the chemically treated hair you must remember that the girl in that picture has some gel or spray in her hair to make it look like that. It would just add more chemicals instead (ofcourse you already knew that). It's your journey and I want to encourage you to do what you feel is the best option.

Selafae
December 10th, 2014, 05:07 AM
Oh what a gorgeous hair! That looks beautiful. :)

browneyedsusan
December 10th, 2014, 10:37 AM
I haven't read the thread, so take it for what it's worth:

I cut my hair from SL to pixie and loved it. Some people are just "short-hair" people. That's okay!

There are lots of great things about pixies:
1) It never tangles--NEVER
2) It won't get stuck in your lipgloss or other things--EVER
3) Dries in 5 or 10 minutes -- completely dry
4) Color every 2 weeks if you want to! The damage is cut off within a month.
5) You can regrow your whole hair in 6 or 8 weeks, so color/cut disasters aren't a big deal.
6) It doesn't get in your eyes.
7) Bad weather = no problem (see points 1 and 3)

Bear in mind, that unless your hair is curly, it won't look like the picture.
You'll be in the hairdresser's chair every 4 to 6 weeks to keep it looking nice.
Grow out is going to be a PITA. Big time. Trust me. :)