PDA

View Full Version : Goosefootprints Hair Analysis on Etsy.com

xcrunr2go
December 8th, 2014, 11:11 AM
I recently paid $27 for an in-depth hair hair analysis from Goosefootprints on Etsy.com & it was the most interesting & valuable thing I've done for my hair! Thinking I originally had fine hair, come to find out I actually have slightly to moderately course hair! I also found out the dry/wet elasticity & the porosity. It's extremely in depth & she answers any questions you may have. I highly recommend this product! Cheers!:cheer:

shola-faye
December 8th, 2014, 12:17 PM
I really want one! I love her blog too :D

Catatafish
December 8th, 2014, 01:33 PM
I recently paid $27 for an in-depth hair hair analysis from Goosefootprints on Etsy.com & it was the most interesting & valuable thing I've done for my hair! Thinking I originally had fine hair, come to find out I actually have slightly to moderately course hair! I also found out the dry/wet elasticity & the porosity. It's extremely in depth & she answers any questions you may have. I highly recommend this product! Cheers!:cheer:

I had one done last spring. I really liked it, and I love her blog. The only bad thing that I could say about it (which isn't her fault at all), is that it would have been better to get product recommendations that I could find. I still found the information useful, and would also recommend it.

lapushka
December 8th, 2014, 05:24 PM
You have to collect 40 to 50 hairs?! Huh?

Catatafish
December 8th, 2014, 06:32 PM
You have to collect 40 to 50 hairs?! Huh?

Hey, it is pretty easy to do. The only thing is that you can't have any product on them, because that can affect the results.

I just washed my hair, waited until it was dry, then combed it over my bed, then put the hairs in a sandwich bag. I had to do it twice to have 50.
Most people who I told about it thought I was crazy. I've stopped doing that now! :)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 8th, 2014, 08:12 PM
Oooh, I've been wanting to get this done. Actually, the having to collect hairs with no product is what has me hesitant though. Without at least some conditioner my hair is impossible to comb, and I'm not sure I want to deal with the tangles and potential damage that would result by washing and leaving to dry and comb without conditioner....

Catatafish
December 8th, 2014, 08:34 PM
Oooh, I've been wanting to get this done. Actually, the having to collect hairs with no product is what has me hesitant though. Without at least some conditioner my hair is impossible to comb, and I'm not sure I want to deal with the tangles and potential damage that would result by washing and leaving to dry and comb without conditioner....

Well... I used conditioner, but I rinsed that out so guessed it didn't matter much. At least I think I did! I can't remember now to be honest.
I suppose it would change the results. Maybe send her a message and ask if you're supposed to do that. And let me know if I wasn't! :)

LauraLongLocks
December 8th, 2014, 09:58 PM
What about collecting a hairball and washing it in a clarifying shampoo? Or does it need to be tangle free?

Catatafish
December 8th, 2014, 11:09 PM
What about collecting a hairball and washing it in a clarifying shampoo? Or does it need to be tangle free?

These are the instructions that she gave me for collecting the hairs.

'Hair Collection:
>For the analysis, please collect 40-50 clean hairs. These can be hairs shed naturally that you remove during detangling OR hairs you remove by cutting (carefully!) very near the root. Please don't pull hairs out - this stretches the hair and looks like damage.
>Collect hairs from different areas of your head (crown, hairline, sides and back of head). The accuracy of the analysis depends on your collection. All these hairs can be sent together in the same bag.
>It is helpful to me to know which end is the root-end in advance so I can scan for porosity. Sending hairs with roots attached is ideal. If there are no roots attached, hairs can be folded into a piece of paper (lengthwise) with one end labeled "root" - and then placed in a plastic bag. Or you can wrap a piece of paper or thread or yarn around your hairs towards the root-end.
>Place the hairs in a zipper-close plastic bag, pressing the air out, before placing in an envelope. If you have an area you want to address specifically (a problem area or hair that is different from the rest), place those hairs in a separate bag and label it. If you are concerned about hairs being damaged during shipping, reinforce the envelope with a piece of cardboard or use a small padded envelope. Please do not send wadded up hair (for example, hair that has been rubbed together).

>Send clean hairs. Oils, leave-in conditioners and conditioning or creamy styling products can obscure important details and give an inaccurate result. If you have questions about sample collection, please contact me.'

Since I just washed, conditioned, air-dried and combed my hairs, you would have to send her a message and ask her. She is very nice and helpful though.

carrielynn
December 9th, 2014, 05:19 AM
I had it done about a year ago and the science geek in me looooved the detailed results. I too used to think I was a fine-y, but actually ended up on the low end of coarse. I also thought I had high porosity, but actually have low. So I had previously been using products that weren't the best for my hair type!

I'm actually glad she doesn't recommend actual products, since ingredients change so frequently. Instead she offers ideas for what ingredients (types of proteins, oils, etc.) are shown to work with certain hair types, then offers a link to a page on her blog with product recommendations (so she can change it frequently). And even though her product list isn't extensive, you'll at least have the knowledge of what ingredients to look for and avoid as you read product labels yourself.

I too just washed, conditioned, air-dried and combed to collect hairs.

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 9th, 2014, 12:18 PM
Oh, not sure where I got the idea I couldn't use conditioner from. :hmm: From the instructions you posted it looks like just no leave-ins, so now I totally want to do it! I think I will ask her just to be sure though. I'll let you guys know what she says. :)

arelrios
December 9th, 2014, 12:40 PM

The bold part is the main reason why I have not done this.... I am not that disciplined :(

pearlsandpinups
December 9th, 2014, 01:07 PM
This sounds really interesting!! So here's my question that I'm a bit confused about, are you allowed to condition your hair or is it supposed to be hairs that have been shampooed only?

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 9th, 2014, 02:11 PM
Ok, so I messaged the shop owner for clarification on the conditioner question this morning. She got back to me really quick and said rinse out conditioners are totally fine, as long as you do rinse it out thoroughly. It's only leave-ins that are a problem. :) So, I'm going to start collecting hair tonight and order an analysis when I have enough. :happydance:

Catatafish
December 9th, 2014, 02:22 PM
I'm actually glad she doesn't recommend actual products, since ingredients change so frequently. Instead she offers ideas for what ingredients (types of proteins, oils, etc.) are shown to work with certain hair types, then offers a link to a page on her blog with product recommendations (so she can change it frequently). And even though her product list isn't extensive, you'll at least have the knowledge of what ingredients to look for and avoid as you read product labels yourself.

I suppose you're right, I can just be lazy sometimes. I need to print out the list and spend a while in the shops. I ended up buying lots of products that other LHC members recommended, but I'm going to get all sciency for my next shopping spree!

The information on her blog is fantastic.

This sounds really interesting!! So here's my question that I'm a bit confused about, are you allowed to condition your hair or is it supposed to be hairs that have been shampooed only?

I think that you can condition your hair as you normally would. Just don't use any leave-ins or oils afterwards.

pearlsandpinups
December 9th, 2014, 03:17 PM
Ok, so I messaged the shop owner for clarification on the conditioner question this morning. She got back to me really quick and said rinse out conditioners are totally fine, as long as you do rinse it out thoroughly. It's only leave-ins that are a problem. :) So, I'm going to start collecting hair tonight and order an analysis when I have enough. :happydance:

Yay!!!! Thanks SO much for finding this out! I totally wanna get this done now!! :D

battles
December 9th, 2014, 05:11 PM
I did this awhile ago and was really pleased with the results. :) Most important thing I learned was that I really, really needed protein and frequently. I'd actually figured that my hair hated it after a few bad experiences and sworn it off for about a year, and my hair felt really rough and horrible. Her recommendations seriously helped.

MissMoppet
December 9th, 2014, 05:39 PM
Can't the hairs be rinsed after they've been collected, if one is careful? Maybe just run a few strands at a time through some watered down shampoo? You could always do just a few a day. Sounds tedious, but for those who like their leave in conditioners, it might be an option. :)

Duchess Fuzzy Buns
December 15th, 2014, 04:31 PM
I did it!!! I sent in my collection of shed hairs and paid for the analysis today! I can't wait to see the results. :disco: