PDA

View Full Version : Scalp troubles !

nikolette
December 8th, 2014, 06:31 AM
Since I had a keratin treatment earlier this week my scalp has been really tight feeling and dry. During the keratin, a strong clarifier is used and then your hair is blow-dried. Also it is very cold in the North East and I do tend to shower with HOT water because, hey its cold out there! So this is what I assume is the cause of my scalp woes.
I was a bit concerned however because I generally do not get these symptoms even during the cold.
Last night it started to itch a bit right at the crown. I figured I would dry to nip this pesky problem....

I decided I would soak my scalp in jojoba oil before bedtime to try to ease the dryness. I saturated my scalp and bunned my hair and went off to bed. However, I felt the jojoba was actually irritating my scalp further - I do not know why? I have never used jojoba directly on my scalp (only in conditioning treatments) so I assumed it must have just been a slightly adverse reaction.
So I got out of bed after a few hours and washed my scalp 3x with my Sauve daily clarifying. Now I know this is also drying, but I figured this way I would remove any jojoba oil or buildup or anything else that may be irritating or clogging my scalp.
This morning I wake up, my scalp feels dry and tight but not itchy. My actual scalp looks extremely healthy, I had my BF look to see if there was any redness flaking or visible irritation and there is not. Just the tight and dry feeling.

So, My plan now is to just do nothing and let my scalp breathe and see what happens - and avoid using anything but mild baby shampoo on my scalp with cool water.

Did I do the right thing?
Has anyone experienced a similar situation and what did you do to solve it?

lapushka
December 8th, 2014, 09:26 AM
So, My plan now is to just do nothing and let my scalp breathe and see what happens - and avoid using anything but mild baby shampoo on my scalp with cool water.

Did I do the right thing?
Has anyone experienced a similar situation and what did you do to solve it?

Depending on the brand of baby shampoo, it might not be milder than a regular sulfate shampoo.

nikolette
December 8th, 2014, 01:29 PM
Depending on the brand of baby shampoo, it might not be milder than a regular sulfate shampoo.

I am using Johnsons baby shampoo with a few drops of castor oil in it. Do you any a different recommendation ?

lapushka
December 8th, 2014, 01:46 PM
I am using Johnsons baby shampoo with a few drops of castor oil in it. Do you any a different recommendation ?

As far as I know the J&J's has sulfates in it, unless they changed the formula. Any sulfate-free shampoo will be much gentler for you.

Panth
December 8th, 2014, 02:17 PM
Lapushka is quite correct - baby shampoo is gentle for eyes, not for hair. It is a pH that is best for eyes (hence 'no tears') but this is actually not the best pH for scalp health. Also, they very often have sulphates in and therefore are not gentle in terms of cleansing either.

Sarahlabyrinth
December 8th, 2014, 02:19 PM
My hair book says that baby shampoo was formulated to be gentle on eyes - NOT on hair. Diluting shampoo makes it gentler - have you tried that, nikolette?

nikolette
December 8th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Hmm I do have castile soap, which is very gentle and oily. What do you think about trying that?