PDA

View Full Version : Hairfinity or Biotin

CurlyGrace
December 8th, 2014, 05:17 AM
Lately I've been looking into ways to help promote faster hair growth, and I've been seeing lots of success stories with Biotin and Hairfinity (mostly Hairfinity, though) on YouTube. Is either one of them better in the long run for the overall condition of my hair, or are they basically the same? If anyone has taken either one of these, then what would you have to say about it? :confused:

DragonAngel
December 8th, 2014, 05:28 AM
Lately I've been looking into ways to help promote faster hair growth, and I've been seeing lots of success stories with Biotin and Hairfinity (mostly Hairfinity, though) on YouTube. Is either one of them better in the long run for the overall condition of my hair, or are they basically the same? If anyone has taken either one of these, then what would you have to say about it? :confused:

I am not sure about the two you mentioned but I have had good results from Silica Complex from healthfood stores, it is all natural and has definately made a difference.

Baby_doll
December 8th, 2014, 08:30 AM
I took biotin for 3 months, and my hair didn't really see much of a difference, I'm a super slow grower In general. But since my hormones are a very delicate balance, for the entire 3 months that I took them I only had one period, that might sound okay and good to some people, but ya see I get pain when I ovulate and the pain of ovulation lasted alot longer and hurt alot more, it was also accomponied by 2 days of really dark bleeding. I was also only taking 2500 of biotin. Just a warning be careful when u take more than your daily 100% of biotin.

Rowdy
December 8th, 2014, 08:42 AM
I tried to take biotin but only lasted a week, I started breaking out horribly

LoveAngelBeauty
December 8th, 2014, 12:38 PM
I also tried to supplement with biotin and broke out, so I stopped. I bought bamboo tea which has a high percentage of silica, but I don't like the taste and haven't been Consistent. I bought Manetabolism and am waiting for them to arrive. I'm super excited to start taking them because the before and after I've seen of people who take them have been phenomenal.

mrs_coffee
December 8th, 2014, 01:26 PM
One of my friends gave me a bottle of Hairfinity. It gave me a BLINDING headache, so I quit taking it.

Panth
December 8th, 2014, 02:18 PM
Consider this (http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.co.uk/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html). Supplementing in general and biotin in particular is not a good idea. The reported side effects from biotin include cystic (scarring) acne, headaches and kidney failure. And that's just LHC users...

lapushka
December 8th, 2014, 04:30 PM
Yes, just taking a multivitamin should cover all your needs. There really is no reason to start supplementing. Your hair won't magically grow more. In short, it's not worth it and is usually just money thrown away.

Pamala513
December 8th, 2014, 04:33 PM
My wellness dr. Suggested biotin and super b complex to combat the acne biotin can cause. I have been on both for a year. My hair does seem to grow faster as well as my nails.

swearnsue
December 8th, 2014, 06:19 PM
I found a very low dose source for Biotin. It's a probiotic with B vitamins and the biotin is 100% RDA. I take one a day but skip a day now and then.

I can't tell if it has helped my hair though because I do so much for my hair I can't tell what is working and what isn't. But probiotics I need to take anyway.

CurlyGrace
December 8th, 2014, 06:21 PM
Alright, thanks guys - I suppose I won't be buying biotin or Hairfinity because tbh I'm scared to now.

I've heard somewhere that taking fish oil can help hair strength/elasticity though, would this cause any acne or biotin-like symptoms?

catamonica
December 9th, 2014, 12:43 PM
CurlyGrace welcome to TLHC. I couldn't grow my hair just past midback for years. Soneone told me about Mane & Tail Original horse shampoo. That it helps grow hair. I added two capfuls of olive oil to the shampoo. My hair grew fourteen inches to waist. It took about ten months 2009 to march 2010. I think the olive oil might have helped growth. It grew to three inches above tailbone. After I started wearing it up. It helps to wear it up. It doesn't work for everybody. But it's worth a try. You can get it at Wall Mart in the pet section. And some grocery stores. Post & let me know if it helped.

pearlsandpinups
December 9th, 2014, 12:57 PM
I take GNC's Ultra Nourish Hair which contains biotin, MSM and an amino acid complex. I also take a multivitamin and silica. My hair grows fast and healthy and unlike a lot of people who seem to break out on biotin, my skin is glowing on these three things. (And I'm very acne prone! I've been acne free now though for a couple of years following Acne.org's regimen!) :) I'm not one who's afraid of supplements though as I've grown up with a father that highly encourages taking quality, natural health supplements and have seen the good they've done for the health of my parents and other family members.

bunnylake
December 9th, 2014, 06:33 PM
You know what will make your hair amazing? Adequate water intake, a whole foods diet, and exercise. (It'll also make you feel amazing on the inside!) seriously. Nothing beats hydration & real food & sweating a little bit on a regular basis. Biotin seemed to make my hair grow a tad faster MAYBE, but when I was running three times a week it grew like a weed. Now that I'm consistently doing yoga and drinking more water, I notice my hair growing faster and it looks fuller too.

MissMoppet
December 10th, 2014, 04:55 AM
Biotin has really helped me out. I have had none of the side effects mentioned and it has definitely helped my hair growth. I did loose some hair a while ago when on medication though, so maybe my body needed more biotin to function better. My hair is all growing back in, and is doing great!

angstroms
December 10th, 2014, 05:02 AM
Please be careful with supplements that contain lots of stuff, in particular look at their % values for vitamin A and D. You Do NOT want to get too much of those.

Also Manetabolism contains shark cartilage which...is pretty upsetting.

lapushka
December 10th, 2014, 07:27 AM
I always refer "future" biotin takers to this blog post:
http://igorsbelltower.blogspot.be/p/infamous-biotin-rant.html

texangrrl
December 10th, 2014, 07:29 AM
I take GNC's Ultra Nourish Hair which contains biotin, MSM and an amino acid complex. I also take a multivitamin and silica. My hair grows fast and healthy and unlike a lot of people who seem to break out on biotin, my skin is glowing on these three things. (And I'm very acne prone! I've been acne free now though for a couple of years following Acne.org's regimen!) :) I'm not one who's afraid of supplements though as I've grown up with a father that highly encourages taking quality, natural health supplements and have seen the good they've done for the health of my parents and other family members.

I also take GNC's Ultra Nourish Hair. I haven't had any issues with it so far and I've been on it about 2 months now. I take this with a regular multivitamin, calcium plus D and flax seed oil (to help keep my cholesterol down).

pearlsandpinups
December 10th, 2014, 09:15 AM
I also take GNC's Ultra Nourish Hair. I haven't had any issues with it so far and I've been on it about 2 months now. I take this with a regular multivitamin, calcium plus D and flax seed oil (to help keep my cholesterol down).

Sounds like you and me have a similar supplement routine. :D I'm glad to hear yours seems to be doing good for you!

Wusel
April 14th, 2015, 06:37 AM
Okay. My results on Hairfinity after finishing the first bottle:
My hair grew 3/4 inch in 3 weeks.
My metabolism has improved. I eat much more but don't gain weight. I think it's because the MSM contained in it speeds up your metabolism.
I got some pimples but it's worth it and it's not much more then I had before. I'm acne prone.
My hair is shiny and looks very healthy. I have no splits and my last trim was 6 months ago.
My hair feels thicker in the roots. When I touch my head it feels like touching a poodle (I have quite straight hair with some waves here and there). It's not only hair on a scalp but my hand sinks in... don't know how to describe it... it's like a pillow when I lay my hand on the top of my head...
My conclusion: It's good stuff for me. And much cheaper than a good multivitamin from a pharmacy plus the added supps like MSM (MSM is very expensive here...).
Do I recommend trying this? Yes. Why not. I'm happy with it.

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 06:48 AM
Pills like Hairfinity have been popular in germany like 20 years ago and i couldnt exactly say that its the country of magical fairy hair now due to this. I believe in a good diet and patience.
Youtube and instagram are business platforms and rave reviews are often sponsored, people live off making advertisement in the comfort of their home, never forget this. Most would agree that it doesnt hurt to try, but i really wouldt encourage anyone to play wiith supplements too much, long term it can cause alot of imbalance in your body or even be damaging.

Wusel
April 14th, 2015, 10:20 AM
Pills like Hairfinity have been popular in germany like 20 years ago and i couldnt exactly say that its the country of magical fairy hair now due to this. I believe in a good diet and patience.
Youtube and instagram are business platforms and rave reviews are often sponsored, people live off making advertisement in the comfort of their home, never forget this. Most would agree that it doesnt hurt to try, but i really wouldt encourage anyone to play wiith supplements too much, long term it can cause alot of imbalance in your body or even be damaging.

I know... But I take them since 5 weeks now and feel good on it. It has many vitamins in it which my doctor recommended too because I have an extremely stressful life and can't compensate this with a diet. My diet isn't the best because of my stress (I really have a hard life, you can't even imagine how hard...) and I'm happy that Hairfinity is cheaper than the vitamins my doctor recommended and my health insurance doesn't pay... I also have a metabolic disease and HF seems to do me good... as for now... I'm fit and happy so, don't discourage me taking them...
Many people take hair vitamins and HF is the cheapest I could find.

lapushka
April 14th, 2015, 10:38 AM
I know... But I take them since 5 weeks now and feel good on it. It has many vitamins in it which my doctor recommended too because I have an extremely stressful life and can't compensate this with a diet. My diet isn't the best because of my stress (I really have a hard life, you can't even imagine how hard...) and I'm happy that Hairfinity is cheaper than the vitamins my doctor recommended and my health insurance doesn't pay... I also have a metabolic disease and HF seems to do me good... as for now... I'm fit and happy so, don't discourage me taking them...

I think you'd be better off with a good multivitamin (you can probably get those cheaper in health food stores or cheaper drugstores), but that's me personally. HF is the cheapest you can find. That's hard to believe! I mean... HF is expensive!

Wusel
April 14th, 2015, 11:05 AM
I think you'd be better off with a good multivitamin (you can probably get those cheaper in health food stores or cheaper drugstores), but that's me personally. HF is the cheapest you can find. That's hard to believe! I mean... HF is expensive!

In Germany you won't get a good multivitamin under 25 Euros per month... And MSM is very expensive here... One month supply is around 20 Euros too... For my last vitamin D which I had bad deficiency of and my doc recommended me to take I payed 56 Euros for 2 month supply... So, when I found HF I was quite happy... It has everything and makes my hair grow pretty and healthy, so... Here in Germany where the supplement regulations are very strict good multivitamins are very expensive. Of course, you can get very cheap ones in the drugstore but they aren't as good and potent as those from the pharmacy and doctors recommend to take those from the pharmacy... All my friends who take supplements pay so much for it. It's normal here. We have different prices and are used to pay more for supps and health, I think...

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 11:06 AM

Ah well, of course you are free to put in your body whatever you want, but you asked for opinions. I find it super easy to eat healthy and clean even at high stress levels.
I think there are plenty of "hair vitamins" sold at the drugstore that contain pretty much the same thing as hairfinity, to adress the price question.

Azy
April 14th, 2015, 11:25 AM
I tried Biotin 1000mg 2 years ago. Used to take 2 pills a day. I learned from my research back then that you NEED to drink a lot of water while on biotin supplements to flush your system and prevent the cystic acne. I never got any acne but I am not too sure about any boost in the growth of my hair. It did look shinier and feel stronger though. To boost growth in my opinion daily exercise is key. When I started working out at the gym I really noticed my growth take off. Improved circulation I guess :)

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 11:41 AM
I forgot to mention that you hopefully know that MSM is something that becomes sort of a commitment once you start taking it. There are many people reporting they lost all their progress in thickness and even length after they stopped taking it. I dont see how anyone would want this or continue to take these pills for the rest of their life for potentially a tiny bit "healthier" hair.

Wusel
April 14th, 2015, 12:07 PM
I forgot to mention that you hopefully know that MSM is something that becomes sort of a commitment once you start taking it. There are many people reporting they lost all their progress in thickness and even length after they stopped taking it. I dont see how anyone would want this or continue to take these pills for the rest of their life for potentially a tiny bit "healthier" hair.

Okay, thank you. I understand.

paulam89
April 14th, 2015, 12:15 PM
I found Biotin to be of little help when trying to grow my hair. I actually ended up with bad spots all over my face, headaches frequently and the only positive were that my nails were growing quite quickly.

Everybody is different and we all progress at different rates, so my advice to you would be just to give it a go, if it works- hurrah, if not then just continue to have patience and look after your locks! :)

Wusel
April 14th, 2015, 12:24 PM

I just cancelled my order by the way, as I'm sure you know more about hair growth than I do. I thought as so many girls here take different hair vitamins religiously (see thread with poll) I need some too. But if you think... I stop it.

lapushka
April 14th, 2015, 12:33 PM
In Germany you won't get a good multivitamin under 25 Euros per month... And MSM is very expensive here... One month supply is around 20 Euros too... For my last vitamin D which I had bad deficiency of and my doc recommended me to take I payed 56 Euros for 2 month supply... So, when I found HF I was quite happy... It has everything and makes my hair grow pretty and healthy, so... Here in Germany where the supplement regulations are very strict good multivitamins are very expensive. Of course, you can get very cheap ones in the drugstore but they aren't as good and potent as those from the pharmacy and doctors recommend to take those from the pharmacy... All my friends who take supplements pay so much for it. It's normal here. We have different prices and are used to pay more for supps and health, I think...

I've been taking a multivit. from the drugstore (at 2 euro for a 20 day supply) for *years* and my bloodwork is always spot on. Sorry but saying that a cheap drugstore multivit. is less than a pharmacy one is crock. They check these things or they can't go on the market.

And who says HF is actually *better* than that. I mean. :rolleyes:

MINAKO
April 14th, 2015, 12:48 PM
I agree with Lapushka, i standard multicitamin should have you covered with a normal dose of essential. i feel like putting ten times the amount in a pill is just more than the body can utilize anyways. As long as you are not deficient in something like iron, i dont think theres any chance for vitamin supplement to affect hair growth a great deal.
The easiest thing you can do to promote overall health that shows in hairs as well is really as simple as upping your intake of fresh fruit, veggies, some healthy oils and proteins. Maybe try scalp massages with essential oils also to relieve some of the stress.

The only two things i religiously take are acetylcystein and extra vitamin c for my skin, but thats it.

Rapunzel_to_be
April 14th, 2015, 01:27 PM
I started taking biotin in the beginning February 2015, and I'm still taking them, but unfortunately I have not seen any difference in my hair growth yet.. I'm taking 5000 mcg daily.. I have not experienced any side effects though.