PDA

View Full Version : British blowout

diddiedaisy
December 7th, 2014, 02:20 AM
Hi everyone, I read in a newspaper this morning that a British blowout has been created which is more suited to fine hair and therefore less damaging than a Brazilian. Not that I want one, but has anyone heard of this before, it wasn't explained as to what it was, it was just thrown into the article.

Unofficial_Rose
December 7th, 2014, 03:18 AM
I've not heard of this before. I'm British, for what it's worth. :) There's an implication that lots of British people have fine hair, which is probably true for caucasian British people, but not those necessarily whose ancestors came over to the UK from overseas.

I wonder what they do to make it less damaging?

diddiedaisy
December 7th, 2014, 05:29 AM
London hairdresser Edward James is doing it, and it doesn't involve blow drying. That's the only information I can find. Oh, and it costs £100!!

MeAndTheMaz
December 7th, 2014, 05:39 AM
A link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721349/How-flatten-frizz-gentle-way.html).

I suspect that someone might be trying to make her hair something it isn't.

KittyBird
December 7th, 2014, 07:01 AM
A link (http://www.dailymail.co.uk/femail/article-2721349/How-flatten-frizz-gentle-way.html).

I suspect that someone might be trying to make her hair something it isn't.
Yep. I think it looks like her hair wants to be wurly/curly.

lapushka
December 7th, 2014, 07:11 AM
It looks better with the frizz, just sayin'. The after is so flat it sticks to her head. Can't be that good of a treatment. :rolleyes:

diddiedaisy
December 7th, 2014, 07:39 AM
Thanks for link. Yes she's definitely a curly isn't she. We should send her a link for the curly thread, I bet she could get some lovely curls going.

MeAndTheMaz
December 7th, 2014, 12:02 PM
I know, right?

Links to the curly girl method would help. Imagine how much money she could save by not trying to beat her hair into something it's not.

LauraLongLocks
December 7th, 2014, 12:13 PM
Having straight hair, I really don't get why straight hair is so desired by some curlies/wavies. When you have it straight, the stylists want curl it and perm it to give it body and say if you don't curl or perm it, it lacks volume and is flat.

Repeat after me, folks: Every hairtype is beautiful.

diddiedaisy
December 7th, 2014, 12:37 PM
I think some wavies/curlies want straight hair as its easier to deal with. You cant brush and go with waves/curls. When I was younger I used to perm my straight hair and wish it was naturally curly, now I've got wavy hair I wish it was straight again!!! It takes so much effort to get 2a hair to either be one or the other. There's just no winning is there lol

Unofficial_Rose
December 7th, 2014, 01:41 PM
At least it's not flat-ironed into the hair,so I guess it's not too damaging. I can see why she prefers it to the tortured frizz above, but I agree that she might like her non-tortured curly hair if she were to stop fighting the natural texture.

I was surprised that the 'British Blowout' actually is British - I thought this was just a marketing ploy of some sort beacuse we normally say 'blow dry' - I thought blowout was a US term? but perhaps that's to allude to its Brazilian counterpart.

Totally agree about 2a hair. It's like it doesn't know what it wants to do!

Sterlyn
December 7th, 2014, 03:28 PM
Having straight hair, I really don't get why straight hair is so desired by some curlies/wavies. When you have it straight, the stylists want curl it and perm it to give it body and say if you don't curl or perm it, it lacks volume and is flat.

^this^ where is my like button?

meteor
December 7th, 2014, 03:49 PM

^ I couldn't agree more! :agree:
Fighting one's texture is usually counterproductive. Working with hair rather than against it is key.

It takes so much effort to get 2a hair to either be one or the other. There's just no winning is there lol

Totally agree about 2a hair. It's like it doesn't know what it wants to do!
Wow, I feel exactly opposite about 2a hair: I feel like I really lucked out with my texture.
With 2a hair, volume is always there, even when your hair looks straight, but you can easily create smooth, shiny waves/curls and they actually hold! Win-win! :D

diddiedaisy
December 7th, 2014, 04:13 PM
Hi meteor, unfortunately fine 2a hair doesn't keep hold of its wave very well. For me personally I can have a section with great waves, a section that's straight and I get two great spirals at the underside. That for me makes a scruffy look!!! Also, if I manage a day where my wave is relatively uniform, you can bet that by lunchtime they've given up the ghost and I spend the rest of the day with a bunch of rats tails hanging from my head. I've only been living with this hair type since March/April though and I'm still learning what it likes and what it doesn't like. Maybe I need more product to hold the wave, or maybe my serum weighs then down. It shall be conquered though one day ;)

meteor
December 7th, 2014, 04:25 PM
Hi diddiedaisy! :) I really hope it will get much easier with length: if I remember correctly, my 2a hair was not easy to style at SL-APL either. It's as if wavy hair needs some length for the waves to really come into their own in terms of wave pattern, but I am not exactly clear how this works.

If your hair is virgin, I'd just recommend using a bit of water and light gel when braiding/bunning hair overnight for waves and sleeping on silk satin to keep hair smooth.
But if the hair has any prior damage (bleach, heat damage, etc), then regular protein treatments and deep pre-poo oilings can really help hair hold its texture in the long run. For me, bleach highlights definitely caused frizz and broke up some of the wave pattern, because bleach removes hair keratin, unfortunately.