PDA

View Full Version : Nice updo's on the job? and flat hair solutions?

firevegan
December 6th, 2014, 10:35 PM
So I have two problems.

One, recently I had a date tell me over dinner that he disliked my hair because it looked "overly straightened and flat". I thank him for making me aware. However, I don't straighten my hair, ever, and now I never want to go around looking like a "flat" head again.. especially on a date.

My second problem is, I have a new job at starbucks where I have to wear my hair "up" and with a hat/or visor, but I find regular pony tails unflattering and I have no experience with fancy hair up-dos.

So my question to you tlhc'ers is, does anyone have a suggestion for an updo that would look nice at starbucks?

and of course, my other; how does one constantly maintain hair to be "unflat" if said persons hair is naturally flat?

And also just to let you know, this rude date will not be seeing me again

LauraLongLocks
December 6th, 2014, 10:55 PM
Is shoulder length your current length? Let's see... disc bun, sock bun, french braid, dutch braid, rope braid, french rope braid, english braid, gibson tuck, french twist... that's all I can think of at the moment.

I wouldn't give any thought to the comments of a rude date. I'm sure his opinion is not shared by others, so don't think on it a minute.

Nadine <3
December 6th, 2014, 11:35 PM
I agree with LLL. That guy was a butt face. If you really want to try giving your hair some volume, dry shampoo rubbed into the roots gives me insane volume, you could try that if you like. Only do it if YOU want to though...not because some rude person said you should! :)

RainbowBowser
December 6th, 2014, 11:44 PM
Is shoulder length your current length? Let's see... disc bun, sock bun, french braid, dutch braid, rope braid, french rope braid, english braid, gibson tuck, french twist... that's all I can think of at the moment.

I wouldn't give any thought to the comments of a rude date. I'm sure his opinion is not shared by others, so don't think on it a minute.

I can confirm the braids, I've seen baristas at my local Starbucks with them.
Agreed, that guy was being a jerk.

maborosi
December 6th, 2014, 11:53 PM
Wow, how rude. He was a jerk. Grats on your new job, though! :D

Good styles for hat-requiring jobs... Ponytails are a PITA where I work- I'm constantly afraid mine will catch on fire if I lean over the stove, which is a shame 'cause I like how they look, but my hair's just a smidgeon too long and so I don't feel like it's properly restrained.

When I wear a chef hat, I like a cinnabun placed high enough on my head that I can tuck it in without it causing an issue. The regular hat I wear, though, it's either a braid or a braided bun. Braided buns are awesome 'cause they look cool and they hold that sucker in place.

mz_butterfly
December 7th, 2014, 12:04 AM
If your hair is under a hat or a visor, any bun will do. Nothing is going to be fancy or stay fancy.

I think dork date commented on flat hair because all the chicks he's been with have big, teased hair and he isn't used to seeing normal hair. ugh.

I would just do the simplest bun you can do, stick your hat on, work your shift and not fret over fancy hair. You'll be too busy worrying about how it looks anyway. :)

squirrrel
December 7th, 2014, 03:09 AM
*nods* braids are good... I find a fairly easy 'up and out of the road' one is what I've heard referred to as 'milkmaid braids' - where the hair is braided down behind either ear, but then it's taken round the front of the head (few inches of hair in front of it usually) and pinned in place so that the ends are hidden. It's one I often go to if I need it to go up quick and stay put for hours.

QMacrocarpa
December 7th, 2014, 07:58 AM
Re: the rude date, I agree that you should just ignore him. I have painful experience with people saying some throwaway remark to me that they immediately forget, but that haunts me for years, making me feel terribly self-conscious about something I had never worried about before. It's not a good plan! Don't worry that you don't have huge hair or whatever-- you have *your* beautiful hair. Don't feel you have to change it in some high-maintenance way just because some dummy made an ill-advised comment. One person's "flat" is another's "sleek, silky, and sophisticated"!

About the updos for work, one simple option is to get an octopus clip (http://www.amazon.com/Scunci-No-slip-Grip-Octopus-Colors/dp/B001T8W5EQ) (widely available at drugstores) and use it as a bun-cage. Very easy to use: you just gather your hair in a bun shape and fasten the clip over it. This was very comfortable and all-day stable for me. Spin-pins (http://www.amazon.com/Pack-Goody-Simple-Styles-Blonde/dp/B004IDJ5E2/) (also at many drugstores) are also great for holding a bun solidly.

neko_kawaii
December 7th, 2014, 08:18 AM
Ignore him. Some people have no filter on their mouths. Then again, he revealed he is a jerk and may have saved you the bother of another date with him.

I have a blog post where I collect buns that work for me at nape with a hat above (http://forums.longhaircommunity.com/entry.php?b=105865). Not sure what the Starbucks headgear is like, but you may get some ideas here.

AmberJewel
December 7th, 2014, 10:38 AM
I don't mean to hijack this thread, but what about nice updos for work without a hat? Any suggestions there?

MissMoppet
December 7th, 2014, 11:27 AM
What a rude, forward thing to say on a DATE. After being with my boyfriend for over 10 years, I would not mind if he gave me some constructive feedback about my hair (I do so to him all the time! Hehehe). If he had said that on a first date, it would have been our last though.

I recently purchased myself a Mason Pearson brush. I brush my hair upside down, right side up etc and I have noticed that I have a lot more volume now at my roots. What is cool about this brush is that I find if I take sections of hair and brush upwards and slightly forwards, opposite the way my hair is growing, it gives me some more volume.

Madora
December 7th, 2014, 04:02 PM
Ladies, are you seeking a simple updo for work? Have you tried inversion hairstyling, which makes gravity work FOR you?

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/Invertedbraiding.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/Invertedbraiding.jpg.html)

Inversion braiding is done sitting down, to wit: Bring all hair in front, like a curtain/detangle gently
2) Head should be down -- steeply
3) Divide hair in 3 sections, begin to braid slightly loosely (either Dutch or English style. 4 strands if you're really dexterous/adventurous)
4) Braid down to end/fasten with elastic...or leave loose
(I don't fasten with anything and only braid until I have about 2 inches of tassel left
5) Take the braid. Hold it flat against your head with your hand. Use the other hand to pin it with crimped hairpins in the 4 directions. Tuck in tassel
6) Bingo: one handy dandy single braided bun!
How to use Crimped Hairpins:
1) Put the crimped hairpin through the outside edge of the braid or bun. The feet of the hairpin should be facing OUT, away from the bun
2) PIVOT the pin down to the scalp, turning slightly towards bun as you scrape up a tiny bit of scalp hair with the pin
3) Weave the pin with the scalp hair into the center of the bun in an up and down motion. Don't just stick it in straight. That way never holds for long!
4) Use crimped hairpins at the 4 directions: North/South/East/West. If you need more, use 'em!
5) Wash your crimped hairpins once a month.
crimped hairpins are very easy to put in/take out. BE SURE the feet of each pin has a little "ball" at the end! This is much more hair friendly than crimped pins whose feet do not have "balls" on the ends!

http://i177.photobucket.com/albums/w225/07Erzbet/9914Fauxlacecrownbraidinfront.jpg (http://s177.photobucket.com/user/07Erzbet/media/9914Fauxlacecrownbraidinfront.jpg.html)

Inversion hairstyling: a faux lace braid in front which merges into a simple plain 3 strand braid which goes around the head, to create a fake crown braid effect. I LOVE inversion braiding! ETA: When inversion hairstyling, depending on where you begin your braid, you can add a slight "pouf" to the hair around your hairline and your sides. You do this by starting the braid about an inch and a half above the center of the scalp, then beginning to braid very loosely.

lapushka
December 7th, 2014, 04:05 PM
Shoulder length? A simple peacock twist.

wilderwein
December 8th, 2014, 06:13 PM
oh my god! if a guy comments on a date about the womans hair makeup body etc its totally normal! if you say something about a man you destroy his ego! anyway! i have hair that are really flat on top of my head.... not completely straight but really flat at that part! what helps me giving me volume is braid waves (make some braids and sleep on them) after that i have a really great hair texture and i can make any hairstyle looking even better!

veryhairyfairy
December 8th, 2014, 06:38 PM
You probably won't be able to do Madora's suggested style at shoulder length, so don't be discouraged lol! :lol:

A peacock twist is a great idea, as is a french braid or twin french braids (I suggest french because I can't regular braid my hair when it's shorter than APL).

Also, screw that tool of a dude. I have a really hard time understanding how anyone could feel comfortable criticizing a first date, but it sounds like he's probably not been on a lot of second dates.

I do have a suggestion for more volume, though, because I like more volume once in awhile; put a bun or loose ponytail on top of your head. Either get it damp and let it dry in the style, or put it up dry and leave it overnight. HTH! :)

Chromis
December 8th, 2014, 08:06 PM
My suspicion is simply that his preferred hair type is not the one you have. That's on him. (Nothing wrong with that except that he did not engage his mental filter and decided to make it sound like it is your fault that you don't meet his ideal woman!)

Some people like straight hair, some like curly, some don't care. No point trying to turn it into something it doesn't want to be unless that is what *you* want!

I can't imagine trying to convince my hair to have "volume". That is not my hair type and it would take a lot of work and probably still look odd. I'm pretty cool with sleek anyhow. I temporarily have more volume after a French braid or such, but it goes back to normal after ten minutes.

I don't think I have seen the baristas here in hats! The hairstyles section has lots of good ideas though. Cinnabuns are pretty classic and be held in a variety of ways although I'm not sure you are long enough for them yet and sockbuns are pretty foolproof. If you aren't long enough for a sockbun, a peacock twist is another good option. I'd pick the visor since it will give you more flexibility in hairstyles.

browneyedsusan
December 9th, 2014, 10:48 AM
So I have two problems.

One, recently I had a date tell me over dinner that he disliked my hair because it looked "overly straightened and flat". I thank him for making me aware. However, I don't straighten my hair, ever, and now I never want to go around looking like a "flat" head again.. especially on a date.

My second problem is, I have a new job at starbucks where I have to wear my hair "up" and with a hat/or visor, but I find regular pony tails unflattering and I have no experience with fancy hair up-dos.

So my question to you tlhc'ers is, does anyone have a suggestion for an updo that would look nice at starbucks?

and of course, my other; how does one constantly maintain hair to be "unflat" if said persons hair is naturally flat?

And also just to let you know, this rude date will not be seeing me again

Date can stick it. He's a doofus with bad manners.
Your hair is "silky smooth", like mine. :) :thumbsup:
And it's fabulous.